Was pre-pharm, now Pre-den. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttpharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all predenters,

I really need your opinion on the chances I have of getting into dental school. I was once a pre-pharm major, but I felt like the demand for pharmacists is going down since the number of pharmacy techs and large chain pharmacies are on the rise.

Here are my stats. My worry is that my horrible start will outshine my strong finish. I got many W's. Most of my semesters I had 1 W... and I ended up with a 2.95 GPA at my community college.

These are most of my science/math classes from the CC and UC
Pre-Calc- D, W, C (yeah, sad)
Intro Chem- W, C
Intro Bio - C
Gchem 1 - A
Gchem 2 - B
Calc 1 - W, A+
Calc 2 - B
Lin Algebra 1- B-
Linear Alg. 2 - A-
Ochem 1- B
Ochem 2- A+
Ochem 3- B+
Biochem 1 - A
Biochem 2 - A
Biochem 3 - A+
Pchem 1 - A
Pchem 2 - A-
Pchem 3 - A

B.S. Biochemistry Honors

My horrible start (at a community college) lowered my GPA from a 3.6 (My GPA after I transferred to a UC) to a 3.2 both cumulative and science GPAs

I have 300+ hours shadowing and volunteering at a dental office.
I have worked with a disabled women during the summer.
I have 1 LOR from my biochem lab professor (advisor for biochem department) and 1 LOR from the dentist I volunteered at.

On my personal essay, I want to articulate my determination by explaining my weight loss from 240 to 150 lbs and my upward trend in my grades

I'm planning to take the DAT in a couple of months and I'm currently studying all the subjects pretty hard everyday.

What should I aim for on the DAT and are my chances still acceptable? Should I be doing anything else to improve my application?

Thanks SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

Aim for about a 30 on the DAT. If you're going to take it, you might as well do as well as you possibly can.

And you're going to need 1 other LOR as well. You should also realize that the prompt for your personal essay is why you're pursuing dentistry, not how much determination do you have.

Your chances are okay right now. No one can really predict it without a DAT score.

Your GPA is mizzzz...but your ECs seem good, and your essay is bizarre but unique. I think a high grade on the DAT will give you a decent chance at some of the middle of the road schools. Good choice getting out of pharm....that industry is donzzzzo

Members don't see this ad :)
Aim for at least a 23, but you'd be better off with 24-25. Your GPA is a bit low, but you have a great upward trend.

Write a killer ps, ace the DAT and interview, and you're gold. Don't sweat it and gl.

Thanks guys for all your responses! I wish I didn't do so poorly when I first started college. Its really biting me in the ass right now and going back for post-bacc or masters is really not an option for me. Wish you all the best of luck <3

Last edited:
Here are my stats. My worry is that my horrible start will outshine my strong finish. I got many W's. Most of my semesters I had 1 W... and I ended up with a 2.95 GPA at my community college.
I have 300+ hours shadowing and volunteering at a dental office.
I have worked with a disabled women during the summer.
I have 1 LOR from my biochem lab professor (advisor for biochem department) and 1 LOR from the dentist I volunteered at.On my personal essay, I want to articulate my determination by explaining my weight loss from 240 to 150 lbs and my upward trend in my grades
I'm planning to take the DAT in a couple of months and I'm currently studying all the subjects pretty hard everyday.

A ps may not be the proper forum for a plug for a particular diet regimen.

no one cares how much weight you've lost, or IM's you've completed. 3-4 senteces max if you're going to fit that in your PS. you dont need 23+ to get in. What is your GPA right now? on your papers/transcripts? GPA, DAT mean more than anything to at least get you in the door. sounds like you'll get some solid LOR's which is good. really though, talk about who you are and why you're wanting to do dentistry! (i was accepted to the med school of the school im currently attending dschool) dont kid your self, and be true to who you are and you'll be fine **disclaimer: if your scores/marks suck then just accepet this as a loss, but if you feel like you deserve to be here then saddle up!)