This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What OTD program would you choose?

• Washington University

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Murphy Deming College

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • MGH IHP

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • UTC

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

OTDbeezy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

In January I was accepted into Washington University in St. Louis, and in the last weeks I was accepted into MGH IHP in Boston, Murphy Deming college in Virginia and University of Tennessee Chattanooga. I am having a lot of trouble deciding between the 3.

WashU- I am in St. Louis now visiting, and I truly can see myself here. I appreciate all of the connections, the low price of living, and that student health insurance is included in tuition. Definitely would push me to grow, as it would be a step outside of what I'm used to, living in the city.

Murphy Deming- I love the smaller class size and the inter professional design. Coming from Wyoming, I know I would feel more in my comfort zone living in rural Fishersville, VA. Facilities much more impressive than WashU. Low price of living.

MGH- I feel this school is a good mix between WashU and Murphy Deming. The facilities are amazing, inter professional design, and I felt the school has many valuable connections. However, the price of living is crazy!

UTC- I know little about as I haven't been able to visit the school and they don't do interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Curious: is cost an issue for you in this decision beyond cost of living? I think many of us are struggling with choosing between programs because there are so many things to consider when choosing!

Curious: is cost an issue for you in this decision beyond cost of living? I think many of us are struggling with choosing between programs because there are so many things to consider when choosing!
Honestly, the programs come out roughly the same for me before including cost of living.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least that one factor is something you don't have to consider! If I were you I'd work to eliminate one option to bring it down to 3. Somehow 3 seems way more manageable to think more in-depth about pros/cons.

I AM A CURRENT STUDENT AT UTC OT PROGRAM AND MY ADVICE, DONT GO HERE!!!!!

This program is new and sucks for multiple reasons. Don't believe me? The first class through made a formal complaint and so has the second class through the program. The current freshman are miserable and want to transfer, but you can't. They will make a formal complaint before they graduate. This program doesn't have anything together (schedule), treats students with bias, and does not prepare you to pass the boards. In fact, the class graduating in May 2017 took a mock NBCOT during Fall 2016 and everyone failed, which is why they made a formal complaint. This school does not prepare you to be an OT. Students in this program are miserable and there's nothing being done about it. If you ask for help, prepare to be shut down. If you say you are struggling, prepare to be told you need to be medicated. If you share personal information with one teacher, prepare for it to be shared with all faculty members and not in a constructive manner.

All in all, avoid UTC's OT program. It's not worth it.

Hello OT experts and aspiring OTD's!

I have been burdened with a less than terrible situation, where I need to choose between 2 OTD programs. I know how lucky I am to even get into one, but that makes it all the more difficult to make a decision. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from third parties on my decision. I thought I would make a pros/cons of both schools and maybe get some advice from people in the field to see what categories should be weighted upon more heavily.

Belmont University OTD
pros: Fully accredited
- in Nashville (fun area next to vanderbilt)
-Gorgeous campus/facilities
-I really enjoyed the students that I met there and the professors. I got a good feeling from them.
-Reputable program (I think so at least)
-Established curriculum
-Small class size (32)
-I don't need to take Child development this Summer

Cons:
-No scholarship opportunities (only small book things)
-They seem to focus on assistive technology, I'm just not that passionate about that.
- the Doctoral Experiential Component has to be completed in Nashville. So a little less flexibility
-Not as many job opportunities in the area in comparison to Chicago
-Very expensive
-they seem to require service experiences, volunteering. (I love volunteering but I only like to do it when I choose it.)
-religious tendencies (I am just not very religious and that was my first impression)

Midwestern University OTD, Downers Grove, Ill campus
Pros:
-They have a $15000 scholarship for going into school Mental health, which is what I want to do
- Their program focus seems to be more mental health/pediatrics
-Proximity to my family (8 hours away)
-They are very flexible when it comes to fieldwork/doctoral project. They told me basically anything I want to do, I can do it, and anywhere.
-Lots of opportunities in the Chicago area ( I think at least)

Cons:
-I'd have to live in the suburbs of chicago (I'm a 27 year old single female). I'm worried about being surrounded by married people with families. I'm just in a different place in life.
-Chicago area is more expensive to live than Nashville
-They are ONLY in candicacy status. THIS IS THE THING i AM MOST WORRIED ABOUT. Although they did have an accredited masters program, this will be the first Doctoral class to go through the program. Subsequently, I think there will be some growing pains with the rolling out of a new curriculum.
-Also very expensive haha... I just can't win on that front.

Does anyone have any advice for my decision. I would greatly appreciate any and all help on the matter.

This program is new and sucks for multiple reasons. Don't believe me? The first class through made a formal complaint and so has the second class through the program. The current freshman are miserable and want to transfer, but you can't. They will make a formal complaint before they graduate. This program doesn't have anything together (schedule), treats students with bias, and does not prepare you to pass the boards. In fact, the class graduating in May 2017 took a mock NBCOT during Fall 2016 and everyone failed, which is why they made a formal complaint. This school does not prepare you to be an OT. Students in this program are miserable and there's nothing being done about it. If you ask for help, prepare to be shut down. If you say you are struggling, prepare to be told you need to be medicated. If you share personal information with one teacher, prepare for it to be shared with all faculty members and not in a constructive manner.

The 1st class of the UTC OT program had a 100% pass rate on their national certification exams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

The 1st class of the UTC OT program had a 100% pass rate on their national certification exams.