Watches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been looking for an entry-level automatic watch to get my collection started. Anybody have any suggestions?

In a few years I think I'll buy this Nomos, but I was trying to come up with something more "resident-salary" friendly to start with.
minimatik.png

Members don't see this ad.

Been looking for an entry-level automatic watch to get my collection started. Anybody have any suggestions?

In a few years I think I'll buy this Nomos, but I was trying to come up with something more "resident-salary" friendly to start with.
minimatik.png

"Entry-level" automatic?

Take a look at Hamilton or Tissot. Both are part of Swatch group (who own ETA), and their automatic watches use ETA movements which are very common and easily serviced at any reputable watch shop. The Swatch group has limiting the supply of ETA movements to outside manufacturers recently, so more of them are going with copycat Selitta or Soprod movements.

One of the dirty little secrets of the Swiss watch industry was that many high-end brands used ETA movements in the past and continue to do so. The "Calibre 5" movement found in a $3000 Tag Heuer is simply a dressed up ETA 2824. In recent years there has been more of a push by luxury watch brands to use in-house movements (e.g. Tudor with their new MT5612), but many still use modified ETA base movements.

If you shop around you can frequently find a deal on a watch with an ETA 2824-2 for around $3-400 and something with the Valjoux 7750 for $7-800.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, I see your German Nomos and raise you:

A.-Lange-Sohne-Richard-Lange-Tourbillon-Pour-le-Merite-White-Gold-31.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

minimatik.png

Tough one on a residents salary. If I were you, I would just buy a Seiko or Orient automatic watch. You can find them online for less than $200. Decent movements and very reliable. When you become an attending you can treat yourself to a high quality watch. A Rolex datejust (stainless steel, jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel) on the second hand market is a solid buy. Hard to go wrong with that one but it will set you back over $2000.

Tough one on a residents salary. If I were you, I would just buy a Seiko or Orient automatic watch. You can find them online for less than $200. Decent movements and very reliable. When you become an attending you can treat yourself to a high quality watch. A Rolex datejust (stainless steel, jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel) on the second hand market is a solid buy. Hard to go wrong with that one but it will set you back over $2000.

A few problems with the entry-level Seiko/Orients:

1) Non-hacking movement means you can't actually set the time accurately
2) Can't hand-wind so if your watch dies you have to shake it for a few minutes just to get it going instead of simply giving it a few winds
3) Accuracy is worse than the average ETA 2824.

The ETA 2824 hacks and hand-winds, plus generally has better accuracy than the basic Seiko movements which are rated to a pretty dismal +/- 30 seconds per day. The midrange Seikos use the 6R15 movement that does hack/handwind, but they also cost $3-400+ so they're in the same price range as the Tissots and Hamiltons.

minimatik.png
That is the most god-awfully boring four figure watch I've ever seen.

Reactions: 1 user
I daily a chrono avenger M1, intermittently wear a speedy [speedy tuesday], and from time to time will wear one of my seiko divers to work.

If you're looking for a budget watch that will last forever I'd go with a SKX007.

That is the most god-awfully boring four figure watch I've ever seen.
What you call god-awfully boring, I call beautiful.

I've looked at some of the entry-level Seiko's and Hamiltons and they have some very appealing options. I'm not a big fan of Orient though, I have issues with their workmanship, despite the price point. Was basically wondering if there were any other than Hamilton, Seiko, Tissot in the ~$1,000 range for a decent mechanical watch.

Last edited:

I've looked at some of the entry-level Seiko's and Hamiltons and they have some very appealing options. I'm not a big fan of Orient though, I have issues with their workmanship, despite the price point. Was basically wondering if their were any other than Hamilton, Seiko, Tissot in the ~$1,000 range for a decent mechanical watch.

$1,000 range? That's high for Hamilton and Tissot. You can find many Hamiltons with the ETA 2824-2 for < $500. Same with Tissot.

http://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h32505751.html
http://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h70455533.html
http://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h39515734.html

http://www.jomashop.com/tissot-visodate-men-watch-t0194301603101.html
http://www.jomashop.com/tissot-t-classic-mens-watch-t41142353.html
http://www.jomashop.com/tissot-pr100-mens-watch-t0494071605700.html

I've looked at some of the entry-level Seiko's and Hamiltons and they have some very appealing options. I'm not a big fan of Orient though, I have issues with their workmanship, despite the price point. Was basically wondering if there were any other than Hamilton, Seiko, Tissot in the ~$1,000 range for a decent mechanical watch.

Christopher Ward & Stowa

Members don't see this ad :)
check out Citizen brand, they've got a lot of good looking pieces. I've got a titanium one I like.

One of my personal favorites is Magrette Watches. magrette.com

I've got a Moana Pacific Diver and a Regattare chronograph that I like. You can get a good Miyota movement and a quality case for <1000$.

I second the Magrette. I also recommend Alpina and Oris for more "entry-level" swiss auto watches. Obviously some models are more expensive than others.

I also agree about the question of quality on the Orient watches. I bought an Orient Mako during my first residency and since then the crystal has clouded up and it's definitely my least accurate watch. I still use it on a nato for beach duty or if I plan on getting dirty. However, even for a relatively inexpensive watch, I am not sure it is worth it. I do think Seiko is a solid buy, though.

My daily wear is a citizen eco-drive. It's not an auto, but it's always accurate and it is always "wound" and ready to go.

Seiko SKX 007 or 009. Classic watches. Reliable. Not so expensive that you'll be afraid to use it for daily wear.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Who cares how accurate your watch is. You're gonna still check the time on your phone just like everyone else. In this day and age a timepiece is just jewelry, nothing more. Buy what you think is pretty and don't worry if it's off by 30s everyday.

Who cares how accurate your watch is. You're gonna still check the time on your phone just like everyone else. In this day and age a timepiece is just jewelry, nothing more. Buy what you think is pretty and don't worry if it's off by 30s everyday.

I still use my watch to check the time sometimes. It's not always convenient to pull out a phone. Sure, a quartz watch is more accurate, but you'd be surprised at how accurate a well-adjusted ETA 2824 or 2892 can be. +/- 2 seconds a day after regulation is completely achievable.

30 seconds off is no big deal, but 30 seconds off a day could add up to a couple of minutes a week. Not a fan of having to set my watches every week. The entry-level Seiko automatics are reliable workhorses, but they are completely un-adjusted from the factory.

I never check the time on my phone, always look at my watch. That said, if you're buying an automatic then you have to go in knowing that accuracy is going to take a hit.

This is my first attending watch, it's not an automatic, just a quartz, but I fell in love with the design and really like the look of Shinola. Watch snobs will scoff that it's quartz movement, but as another poster said, it's just jewelry at the end of the day.

shinola_muhammad_ali_1.jpg

This is my first attending watch, it's not an automatic, just a quartz, but I fell in love with the design and really like the look of Shinola. Watch snobs will scoff that it's quartz movement, but as another poster said, it's just jewelry at the end of the day.

shinola_muhammad_ali_1.jpg
I might get one. I've read great reviews from enthusiasts with an occasional complaint about the giant size or foreign parts. But I love the idea of a Detroit made luxury watch. I WISH they made automatics...

I might get one. I've read great reviews from enthusiasts with an occasional complaint about the giant size or foreign parts. But I love the idea of a Detroit made luxury watch. I WISH they made automatics...

They actually make a variety of sizes. My watch is the smaller of the two models which is 36mm as opposed to the big 41mm. I agree, I wish they made automatics too, hopefully in time they will. They openly admit it's not currently possible to make automatic movements entirely in the USA so they outsource some swiss parts.

I have a Rolex steel oyster perpetual that was a gift and it's a nice watch. I want to upgrade to a yatch master but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money.

A few problems with the entry-level Seiko/Orients:

1) Non-hacking movement means you can't actually set the time accurately
2) Can't hand-wind so if your watch dies you have to shake it for a few minutes just to get it going instead of simply giving it a few winds
3) Accuracy is worse than the average ETA 2824.

The ETA 2824 hacks and hand-winds, plus generally has better accuracy than the basic Seiko movements which are rated to a pretty dismal +/- 30 seconds per day. The midrange Seikos use the 6R15 movement that does hack/handwind, but they also cost $3-400+ so they're in the same price range as the Tissots and Hamiltons.

1) Most people don't care about getting their watch accurate to the second, especially since mechanical watches gain/lose time pretty damn quick.

2) Or, put your watch on, drive to work, set it while walking into the hospital. Or, wear your watch every day so it doesn't stop.

3) If you care about accuracy, get a G Shock. Seriously, I have a Seiko 5. I have to adjust the time once a month. It doesn't matter. You don't need an atomic clock on your wrist. My Seiko gains roughly 20 seconds per day, and that's accurate enough. Also, it takes about 2 seconds to move your watch back 5 minutes.

OP. Get a Seiko 5. It's an amazing beater watch. I have a Nomos, and I although I prefer the Nomos, it's a tight race. The Nomos also is a pain in the ass to set the date on...

Im a big fan of digital watches. Have a nice collection of solar G-shocks. They are awesome. They come in any color, they're cheap, highly utilitarian, and extremely durable.

+1 for gshock. My daily wear to work watch

Sooo. . . Why shell out more money for a less accurate timepiece?? Just you can tell all the other watch geeks "Hey look, it's an automatic!"

Sooo. . . Why shell out more money for a less accurate timepiece?? Just you can tell all the other watch geeks "Hey look, it's an automatic!"

Why do people shell out tens of thousands of dollars for a little rock made of carbon?

Why drive a BMW instead of a Fiat?

Why drive a BMW instead of a Fiat?

So as you can tell, I'm not much of a watch guy. One can argue that BMW is a better car than a Fiat. Sounds like you watch guys openly admit that automatics are inferior in terms of accuracy. So what makes them more desirable to you guys? I'm genuinely curious.

And I don't fault anyone for wanting to spend money on a nice watch. We all have our hobbies. I geek out on fishing gear the way you guys talk about watches.

I have 2 expensive time pieces I never wear.

My advice, especially as a resident... Get an LG Urbane.

71VVryj3LkL._SL256_.jpg

LG_WATCH_URBANE_LIFESTYLE_01-640x427.jpg

Pros:
-The only smart watch that looks sophisticated. Apple watch looks like a toy.
-Waterproof
-Has a 22 mm strap and can swap out band in seconds with quick release watch bands from any watch manufacturer (fossil being my favorite)
-Silver or gold bezel
-If you get an expensive stainless steel watch band, you can easily wear when dressing up.
-Connects to iphone and android
-Always on OLED face that looks sweet (apple watch shuts off with no movement)
-Switch band and watch face giving you an infinite amount of options.
-Battery lasts 2-3 days easy
-With expensive timepieces, ive gotten like 4 compliments. This watch I get compliments on a daily basis.
-Great for work with silicone strap, also waterproof. When someone's texting you, you can look down at the watch while intubating.
-Since its not insanely priced, youll actually wear it everyday without worrying.
-Functional in so many ways (calander, alarm, notifications from any app you choose, health monitor. ect).
-Chicks love it.

Disadvantage
-If you have a meeting with rich executive wall street brokers, they'll scold you for not having a "real" timepiece.
-Need to be around your phone for it to function for anything other than telling time.
-Face is too fat for female wrists.

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-19_15-40-41.png
    upload_2016-4-19_15-40-41.png
    421.6 KB · Views: 69
So as you can tell, I'm not much of a watch guy. One can argue that BMW is a better car than a Fiat. Sounds like you watch guys openly admit that automatics are inferior in terms of accuracy. So what makes them more desirable to you guys? I'm genuinely curious.

And I don't fault anyone for wanting to spend money on a nice watch. We all have our hobbies. I geek out on fishing gear the way you guys talk about watches.

Everyone has their own idea of a luxury item they are willing to spend money on. I, for one, don't see the purpose of spending money on a BMW when a Toyota or Honda will not only serve the same purpose, but last longer and be more reliable. Some people also spend money on fancy hotels when they take trips when a Holiday Inn will serve the same purpose. A watch is like that. A well-made mechanical watch (sapphire crystal and all) should last a lifetime and more with proper maintenance. There is no need for battery changes...even those solar powered Casios will eventually need a battery change. I have a hand-wound mechanical watch passed down from my great great grandfather that after some easy maintenance, still keeps good time. I understand that many of today's mechanical movements are mass-produced, but it still is an old technology that connects you to a time when most things were hand made and more thought was put into quality rather than quantity. It's not about the accuracy. For a couple thousand dollars, you have a well-made luxury item that you can pass down to your grandson.

Why do people collect antique cars or old muscle cars? You can argue that a new Mustang GT350 is better in every objective way compared to a 1965 Shelby GT350. Yet the older car routinely fetches over 6 figures at auction.

Not everything needs to have an objective justification.

And it is totally true that watches are both tools as well as man-jewelry. I don't wear any other form of jewelry and even find wearing a wedding band uncomfortable. However, I hate the rare occasion I leave home and forget my watch. As accurate and utilitarian as a Casio G-shock watch is, it just doesn't look good on those occasions that I have to wear a suit.

I find it a luxury to never even think about having to put a watch on. I don't wear a wedding band either, or any other jewelry. The whole concept seems decadent and feminine.

I find it a luxury to never even think about having to put a watch on. I don't wear a wedding band either, or any other jewelry. The whole concept seems decadent and feminine.

Yes, it's almost as decadent as $2000 coffee grinders. ;)

Feminine? What is masculine, then? Finding yet another reason to pull out your phone and stare at it? Oh wait, you don't own a smartphone because that would be decadent.

Sounds like you watch guys openly admit that automatics are inferior in terms of accuracy. So what makes them more desirable to you guys? I'm genuinely curious.
attachment.php

to me, automatics appeal because

they are intricate mechanical devices, they use old technology but refined over time to give very impressive accuracy.
have second hands that sweep smoothly, rather than jump from second to second.
sound great when you listen to them

but quartz is

stunningly accurate
extremely durable
much less maintenance

my daily watch is a quartz diver.

but for a dress watch, at the OPs price range ... see above

Yes, it's almost as decadent as $2000 coffee grinders. ;)

Ha ha... Try getting any wife to agree to a $2000 grinder purchase. There's a reason they don't come in pink!

Watches, necklaces, bracelets, even pinky rings seem kind of feminine and decadent to me in the same way as the spa treatment day my wife sprung on me while on vacation in Miami two months ago.

Its really all a matter of preference. I dont knock people who like to wear expensive watches. Personally, Id rather have a watch on my wrist that can do a bunch of cool stuff, has plenty of real utility, and costs me less money, so that I can put more money toward a Mercedes G-Class. :)

Ha ha... Try getting any wife to agree to a $2000 grinder purchase. There's a reason they don't come in pink!

Watches, necklaces, bracelets, even pinky rings seem kind of feminine and decadent to me in the same way as the spa treatment day my wife sprung on me while on vacation in Miami two months ago.

A spa day sounds great to me, but I also like high end mechanical watches so I must be a female.