Watches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leverage

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of watches are you gas folks rocking?

Members don't see this ad.

im only a fellow but i usually rock rolex submariner or omega seamaster( blue james bond model). Not sure what to get next, but if i pass the oral boards i just took.....im gonna get something nice and shiny that ticks. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Panerai Luminor GMT and a Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic. Want that Patek Phillipe next, but that will have to wait till I get a real paycheck.

Too broke for a watch. Clock on the wall works just fine for now.

Too broke for a watch. Clock on the wall works just fine for now.

me too! I was thinking along the lines graduation gift from the folks

fellows still get paid crappy except places like university of florida, the fellows work general or once a week and make like 85 grand for the fellowships.......my friend does same thing at Iowa in regional fellow/general or coverage makes a 100K. Im just a poor fellow doing peds at resident pay but thanks grandpa for the gifts.
Depends where you are........residency in flashy NY some of my attendings rocked serious wrist artillery (rolex was the norm everyday), now im in the sticks and all my attendings wear timex and pulsar............i stopped wearing nice watch to work because you get weird looks.

Anybody like their Panerai.........was thinking of getting one to celebrate end of fellowship but dont wanna look like every stockbroker in NYC?
Anyway.......they are beautiful.
:cool:

45 dollar fossil from the outlet store.......I dont even need to tell you Im a student...

When working Ironman with velcro band that I found on a golf course 3 years ago .

Otherwise a special Harley Seiko somebody gave me 13 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anesthesia - at my hospital at least - seems to have the market cornered on those (dorky) calculator watches. Like 5 or so attendings have them. WTF? And these guys seem to use the computer for caluclator functions...

Anything like this at your hospitals?

dc

breitling bentley now (grad present from med school) ...in the market for a rolex daytona.....sweet watch!!

breitling bentley now (grad present from med school) ...in the market for a rolex daytona.....sweet watch!!

Daytona's are nice...one of my partners has one...but they seem very small.

Check out the new sea dweller deepsea...that's right ..water resistant to almost 13,000 ft under water

DSC06054.jpg

times are different now.....the Navy Seals that I know of wear Casios

A guy I work with was a Green Beret doc in the 80s, and he said that the SF guys swore by the Rolex Submariner, and that's what he wears now because of that.

(I haven't worn a watch myself in years.)

This damn post is just like when everyone talks about how high their fake board scores are.

I wear a Timex Ironman Triathlon. It's the ****.

My Ironman rules. I've worn it diving before (to about 115 feet), never had one minute's trouble.

Only problem I've had with them at all is with the bands, which sometimes are hard to find a replacement of.

Daily wear is a Breitling Colt auto GMT, special wear is an 18kt/SS Breitling Chronomat Evolution. Had the Rollies in med school and residency, but too many others had 'em too (NYC). I like being a little different :thumbup:

chronoevolution.jpg

:D

Panerai 164 on rubber deployant for work and hornback croc for play
Tag Aquaracer on rubber strap for work and stainless bracelet for play
Rolex Yachtmaster - play only
Breitling Superocean Steelfish - my next watch hopefully with mesh stainless bracelet like on the Heritage watches.

My department is hardcore into watches.. attendings with Pateks and Nardins.. many residents with Breitlings and high end Tags. Very contagious hobby!

Citizen ecodrive - I absolutly love it b/c it never needs a battery change and it automatically updates the date based on the month and even adjusts for leap years. Looks pretty good too

1814366896_7113b3a4a7.jpg

and yes, I know what time it is.

i don't wear any watch - i have an assistant who follows me around all day with the express purpose of telling me the time whenever i raise my right eyebrow...

don't laugh - i am totally serious...

Pager or cell phone works just fine for me ... got tired of constantly putting my watch in back pocket before procedures and wondering what the pain in the arse was.

Besides, the more frequently I glance at my pager, the more important I look.

Wife bought me a Rolex Explorer II white dial as an anniversary gift. Still paying for it every month. Great watch though.:D

Thought I'd give this thread a bump in light of possible graduation-related acquisitions.

For example, my brand new Tag Heuer Link Chronograph :D! With many thanks to my Irish-Twin Brother!!!

My wife also gave me a sweet graduation gift -- Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph Tachymeter

cv2014-ft6007_2.JPG

first, let me congratulate the folks with the watches i've never seen in real life. yeah, that's right all you fancy "timex" folks. as far as i'm concerned, unless your watch let's you see into the future, it's not worth the $40 you saved up for it at walmart. :laugh:

actually, my previous 2 watches were ironman triathlon's (on sale from walmart) and they both lasted me about 7 years a piece (only reason i got a new one was the battery died). just got a new watch a few weeks ago:

citizen eco-drive blue angels skyhawk.

blue dial, yellow accents (think blue angels colors...:)), titanium bracelet and case, and more functions than you can shake a stick at. note: if i wasn't shaking the stick at the functions, it'd be shaking at you, so be glad...be very glad...

unfortunately, i'm still in the habit of taking out my cell phone and checking the time on that. don't know how i got into that habit, but it's one i have to break.

OR- iron man
out of OR- Tag Link- tiger

times are different now.....the Navy Seals that I know of wear Casios

Sorry so long to respond to this: talked to my colleague, and he said that the guys in the 80s and before used the Rolexes because they were the most accurate. He agreed that, now, they're rocking Casios.

Kind of like the M-1911A2 vs the Beretta.

not nearly as fancy as yall's...

0400639749296R_300x400.jpg

got it on sale at macy's for 50% off... still working my way up to the big boy pieces

I "collect" watches, love em - and this thread.

I wear this Baume & Mercier. It's seen me through plenty.

Attachments

• bm.pdf
    30.6 KB · Views: 190
At the hospital: clock on the wall. Special occasions: Cartier Santos

Attachments

• cartier.jpg
    cartier.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 93
For daily wear, I'm still rocking the Fossil that I got for "free" when I bought my wife's engagement ring 4 years ago. For dressy occasions, my parents just got me this nice one by ESQ Swiss for graduation:

3635710111_04dc3dbc4a_o.jpg

Think I'll have to wait until I'm making attending cash before I can justify getting a $1000+ watch. But someday...

Last edited:
BTW, I love how all the pictures of watches in this thread have the hour, minute, AND second hands in nearly the exact same positions. Must be what the marketers have determined to be the optimal arrangement of hands to induce people to buy them.

BTW, I love how all the pictures of watches in this thread have the hour, minute, AND second hands in nearly the exact same positions. Must be what the marketers have determined to be the optimal arrangement of hands to induce people to buy them.

In one of David Feldman's "Imponderables" books, he covers this why they all - even digital - show the same time.

Unfortunately, I can't remember right now what he wrote.