Water Excretion by the kidney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Akam ahz

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I'm seeking a simple explanation for this passage in my physiology text book, the author of the passage discusses water reabsorption and excretion in the renal tubules.

The passage:
"Normally 180 L of fluid is filtered through the glomeruli each day, while the average daily urine volume is about 1 L. The same load of solute can be excreted per 24 hours in urine volume of 500 ml with concentration of 1200 - 1400 mOsm/L or in a volume of 23.3 L with a concentration of 300 mOsm/L.
Therefore at least 87% of of the filtered water is reabsorbed, even when the urine volume is 23.3 L and reabsorption of of the remainder of water can be varied without affecting total solute excretion."

The passage is vague for me. When I tried to read the mechanism by which the water is reabsorbed in the renal tubules in the same book I understood it and it was clear.

But the above passage is not clear and I don't understand it, so an explanation in a simple language would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!