Water Excretion by the kidney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akam ahz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm seeking a simple explanation for this passage in my physiology text book, the author of the passage discusses water reabsorption and excretion in the renal tubules.

The passage:
"Normally 180 L of fluid is filtered through the glomeruli each day, while the average daily urine volume is about 1 L. The same load of solute can be excreted per 24 hours in urine volume of 500 ml with concentration of 1200 - 1400 mOsm/L or in a volume of 23.3 L with a concentration of 300 mOsm/L.
Therefore at least 87% of of the filtered water is reabsorbed, even when the urine volume is 23.3 L and reabsorption of of the remainder of water can be varied without affecting total solute excretion."

The passage is vague for me. When I tried to read the mechanism by which the water is reabsorbed in the renal tubules in the same book I understood it and it was clear.

But the above passage is not clear and I don't understand it, so an explanation in a simple language would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.