Wayne State and preference to Michigan residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epidemic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! Wayne State said that it gives preference to Michigan residents when making admission decisions. Does anyone know exactly how this works? Is it that there's a set score that applicants have to hit to be accepted and MIchigan residents get bonus points? Do they try to admit all suitable Michigan residents first, then start sending out admissions to non-residents as withdrawls come in? I'm a Canadian student and just want to get a better idea of my chances of getting off the waitlist since Wayne is my first choice.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

state residency

The way I am sure it works is that they aim to fill a certain amount of their class with residents, ~80% I believe. So, pretty much the residents compete with other residents for an certain number of spots, and the same thing goes for non-residents. They prefer residents because they accept more of them. I would assume you will be on the waitlist until non-residents start giving up spots, which should happen soon considering they just sent me a letter saying I have to declare if I am going there or not by May 17th. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that they consider windsor resident michigan residents for some reason. Do if you're from windsor you might have a shot

IcedCube said:
i'm interested in hearing why wayne's your first choice :)

The only 2 schools I applied to were Wayne State and Albany. I got into Albany, but prefer Wayne State because (1) I'm Canadian and it's about 10 minutes from the border to Windsor, (2) it's an hour from my girlfriend's home just outside Windsor, and (3) I prefer being in an urban environment.

So ddmoore54, what are the chances you're giving up that spot?

Epidemic said:
So ddmoore54, what are the chances you're giving up that spot?

The odds today are about 4:1 that it will be up for grabs. Unless something significant happens in the next 24 hours, I'll be sending a withdraw letter tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure you can have my spot ....
I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm dropping Wayne for MSU...what a crazy life this is....

Just dropped Wayne State :( , hope one of you guys gets my spot! :love:

rmp said:
Just dropped Wayne State :( , hope one of you guys gets my spot! :love:

Thanks to those of you who have withdrawn from Wayne! Best of luck to you wherever you've decided to go!

docchick said:
I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm dropping Wayne for MSU...what a crazy life this is....
msu is awesome. why would you be shocked?

jlee9531 said:
msu is awesome. why would you be shocked?

I'm from around here and I think Wayne and MSU are pretty good schools. I was wondering why someone from CA would think MSU is an awesome school....

docchick said:

come on, MSU is great, plus u'll be my classmate and I'm really cool :p

ddmoore54 said:
The odds today are about 4:1 that it will be up for grabs. Unless something significant happens in the next 24 hours, I'll be sending a withdraw letter tomorrow.

Well, the odds work in funny ways sometimes. And yes, something significant happened. The more I thought about it, although MSU is a kick ass school and the atmosphere rules, I am interested in specialties and research, both areas that Wayne would have more to offer in. I have spoken to 1 ENT, 1 Trauma Surgeon, and 1 Gen. Surgeon (who graduated from MSU), all of which told me to go to Wayne if I am interested in a specialty. The thing that really swayed my decision was talking to a family friend who is an ortho in Detroit, who said that he can't remember ever seeing an MSU grad go through his department. He mentioned that if I could get off some of the waitlists out east, do that, but between MSU and Wayne, Wayne would be better for what I want to do. After a lot of thought, I decided he was right. Plus, he is already pushing for me to do an elective with him because, "We'll have a hell of a good time."

To all those hoping I would open up a spot for them, I'm sorry, but hey, maybe I'll see you next year. :)

ddmoore54 said:
Well, the odds work in funny ways sometimes. And yes, something significant happened. The more I thought about it, although MSU is a kick ass school and the atmosphere rules, I am interested in specialties and research, both areas that Wayne would have more to offer in. I have spoken to 1 ENT, 1 Trauma Surgeon, and 1 Gen. Surgeon (who graduated from MSU), all of which told me to go to Wayne if I am interested in a specialty. The thing that really swayed my decision was talking to a family friend who is an ortho in Detroit, who said that he can't remember ever seeing an MSU grad go through his department. He mentioned that if I could get off some of the waitlists out east, do that, but between MSU and Wayne, Wayne would be better for what I want to do. After a lot of thought, I decided he was right. Plus, he is already pushing for me to do an elective with him because, "We'll have a hell of a good time."

To all those hoping I would open up a spot for them, I'm sorry, but hey, maybe I'll see you next year. :)

Np. Career decisions are tough - Wayne State sounds like a great choice for you! Congrats! Hopefully the waitlist will move and I'll see you next year!

1. awesome primary care reputation with both the MD and DO school
2. its a great college town
3. have strong sports programs with bball (love izzo) and football
4. i've heard how the students are really supportive there
5. i like cold weather.