Wayne State Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSmilie

Future Med
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has had an interview at Wayne State University yet. If you could, would you please share any thoughts or descriptions about your experience? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not to jack the thread, but how do you know when you are complete there? They should have had my stuff for about a week now, should I check up on it or give them some more time? How do you get into the possible interview category????

They sent me an email stating that I was officially complete. It came about 2 weeks after they got all my materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey

Interviewed there last week. It was simply a one hour conversation with a member of the faculty. Mine was with the genetics professor and she was very friendly and we spent a lot of time talking about her past career as a genetic therapist and how she had moved on to teaching. The questions were not overtly difficult and most of the interview appeared to be getting to know your personality.

Generally the interviewer appeared to ask about the things found on your AMCAS application and none of the specific ethical questions but of course there was the generic "Why here", "Have you always wanted to be a dr" etc etc. So obviously be prepped for that.

There is an optional tour after and lunch (though $5.00 is hardly sufficient lol). Tour walks you through the hospital system in Detroit and through the class area.

Overall I enjoyed the school though some facilities could be updated (in comparison to other schools I have visited)

Kyle

I interviewed there last year, and I had a pretty similar experience to Krazykyle. I had a one hour conversation with a professor, but mine was kind of weird. He was asking me all these questions about my high school and my high school experience, some of which I had no answer to. For instance, he asked me what my class ranking was, but my high school didn't rank us (too much competition), so anyone who got a 4.0 was a "valedictorian". Since I didn't get a 4.0, it was hard to say where I was, especially considering I took a lot of A.P. courses, etc. Oh well. He wanted to know a lot about my family and stuff, and he barely touched on things about Wayne State. At the time, they were still trying to figure things out about the DMC contract, and they were close to being defunct, but we didn't talk about that at all. All the sudden, he said, "well, it's been over an hour, we'd better get back, I hope you didn't have any serious questions for me *haha*". Oh well. The lunch/tour was pretty pointless, so if you have someplace to be, you can skip it.

what does the actual schedule of the day look like? i actually am in a grad program at the school of medicine right now so i was just trying to figure out my schedule for the day and what classes i might need to miss. it looks like my interview is at 9:45.. then the lunch is at 12? does the tour happen before lunch? does anything happen between the interview and the lunch/tour?

I'm interviewing at Wayne on the 17th. Any more info?

I interviewed at Wayne yesterday. They sent me an e-mail telling me I was complete August 29, which was a few days after I put the secondary in the mail. I got an invite soon after that.

There wasn't much of a program planned for the day. My interview was at 10 and over by 11:15. I just walked around and did some exploring until noon, when the tour guides showed up and showed us around. We were finished with the tour and lunch by 1 pm. One of the tour guides asked us if we would want to sit in on a class with him for a few minutes, which I took him up on even though most people don't go to class unless it's a required one.

My interviewer had a position that had something to do with diversity and integration of some sort. She was really nice, friendly, and kind of motherly. We just chatted for awhile about various aspects of my life (and hers), her children, my application, her grandchildren, high school experience (Wayne seems to be big on that), her daugher in law, my overseas experiences, her experience in Africa, why I want to be a Dr., why she is at Wayne, why I want to go to Wayne, etc. There was nothing intimidating or difficult at all, so don't be nervous! Everyone else said that their interviewers were really laid back, too.

As for the school itself, I liked the location. It's near the hospitals, obviously, and there are a LOT of opportunities to get clinical experience in various projects that are focused on the underserved in Detroit because, well, most people living in the actual city are underserved. Detroit is a generally poor city, but that is part of what draws me there, personally.

That brings me to the cons of Wayne. This is mostly personal preference, so take it for what you will. From what I gathered, most people live in the suburbs, like Royal Oak, etc. Wayne is traditionally a "commuter school" but I guess they're trying to encourage students to live downtown. Nevertheless, a lot of people live elsewhere. One of our tour guides, an M2, said that this was his first time on campus in a week. I didn't sense much camaraderie among the students, which could also be a result of having 300 people in every class (that's a lot). I asked him if he could recommend a good coffee shop/place to study in the general area and he just kind of looked at me funny and said that he wouldn't really leave the campus if he were me because it's not safe to walk around by myself in the middle of the afternoon. What the heck? The students also seemed to have chosen Wayne by default. "Well, I'm from (insert suburb of Detroit here)." Having attended a school for undergrad where there are a good number of commuters (myself excluded), I would prefer a much different environment.

Like I said, these are my personal opinions and preferences, so don't let my criticisms give the school a bad rap in your mind. It's the kind of environment some people really are looking for. Sorry that this is so long... if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!