Wayne State Univ SOM 2005 Entering Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am looking at apartments sunday/monday morning, which hotel should I call thats downtown to stay in?

Members don't see this ad.

Thrice said:
I am looking at apartments sunday/monday morning, which hotel should I call thats downtown to stay in?

Can't help you with that one :( . If it wasn't for the Neuro exam on monday afternoon I would say that you were welcome to crash at my place on Sunday night.

Did anyone on this thread have to decide between Wayne State and MCO? I am trying to make a decision and I'm having an extremely difficult time. Can anyone offer any input if you are familiar with both through personal experience or friends. Thanks.

I guess I should let you know what I'm looking for
non-cutthroat atmosphere
good residency matches
great clinical exposure
affordable quality housing not far from campus
helpful faculty and administration
decent finanancial package since I (along with my parents info) have an EFC of 0.

For any of you who have decided on Wayne State, why did you choose Wayne State? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
nyc25 said:
Did anyone on this thread have to decide between Wayne State and MCO? I am trying to make a decision and I'm having an extremely difficult time. Can anyone offer any input if you are familiar with both through personal experience or friends. Thanks.

non-cutthroat atmosphere
good residency matches
great clinical exposure
decent finanancial package since I (along with my parents info) have an EFC of 0.

For any of you who have decided on Wayne State, why did you choose Wayne State? Thanks.

I have essentially no knowledge of MCO, but can tell you the following about WSU:
I think that medical school generally is only as cutthroat as you (and your friends/classmates) make it - especially at fail/pass/honors schools (like WSU)
generally does a good job matching to residencies (I think that student affairs can supply you with exact numbers if you want them)
GREAT clinical experience since they use most (if not ALL) of the hospitals in the metro Detroit area
not sure what sort of Fin Aid you might be able to get - being an non Mich resident. I just know that my tuition is MUCH less than it is for my non resident classmates.

The big question is when you interviewed, which school felt like the best fit to you? The answer to that question is the answer to where you should go to school. Just remember that eventually you'll be a physician and will be able to pay off those student loans. Also, I don't recomend doing it for financial reasons, but there are various service based scholarships that exist (military, national health service corps, etc).

DocStretch said:
Do you guys think there's any concern that some of the best local housing will fill up (ie. like at a big undergrad campus) or do you think you can find something solid late in the game?

No idea if there is any truth to it, but I heard a rumor that the on-campus housing office already as a few month waiting list – somebody out there might want to see if there is any truth to that.
Reason that was given has something to do with questions about if the new building is going to be completed on time vs. old buildings that they are closing. I don’t know which buildings the person I heard it from was referring to, since I tend to avoid main campus.

Of course, that says nothing about current WSU-SOM students that might be looking for roommates/housemates (always a good source of study tips) and non-WSU housing.

Senor.Frog said:
Which apt complexes or condos would you suggest by the river? I was thinking about RiverFront Apartments. Are these any good?

Also, are most parking garages gated with security guards?

Finally, can you jog and walk dogs by the river without always looking behind you. I mean, all metro places can be dangerous to a degree (eg, I would never walk in Central Park in NYC at night), but overall, is the river in Detroit pretty safe? Any info would help, thanks!
I live at Riverfront with at least a dozen other first years. Everyone I know really likes it. Yes, you can run along the riverwalk. I usually go running from Riverfront to Riverplace all along the river which is 4 miles there and back. Also, I like Belle Isle a lot, which is a 5 miles loop. Run during the day and you have nothing to worry about. Also, I know both riverfront and millender center have running tracks on the top of the parking garages.

Ohh, and the garages are all guarded at the nice places.

Thrice said:
It's too late... otherwise I would have recommended Holiday Inn Express, or the Hilton Garden Inn. Inn on Ferry Street gets awesome reviews too, but I don't know how expensive that is.

nyc25 said:
Hey ddmoore or any current Wayne student,
Since you're a current student, do you know if the pass/fail system at Wayne is any different from a letter grading system since Wayne State still ranks their students. I guess my question is, does the pass/fail system at Wayne state have the inherent advantages of what pass/fail grading systems are supposed to achieve, in terms of decreasing stressors, cut-throat competition and fostering collaboration?
Well, that time has come... where are you going?

I just got back from the D. We hit up 5 apartments downtown. I took a ton of pictures, I'll set up a website so those out of state can see what I was looking at, we visted The lofts of Merchant row, Layfette towers, Phillips Manor, Riverfront and River place.

Once I get the webpage up feel free to ask me what I thought of them. I'm also still looking for a roomate, so if anyone still needs one, let me know.

That's a pretty cool site you're making there.

Members don't see this ad :)
nyc25 said:

non-cutthroat atmosphere
good residency matches
great clinical exposure

wayne isnt super competitive but its large (250 students). you must work hard to distinguish yourself at wayne.

didnt you read that kansas doesnt rank and there is NO curve? wayne is CURVED~!

nyc25 said:

non-cutthroat atmosphere
good residency matches
great clinical exposure

i have friends both at wayne and MCO... over the last year, they both seemed to have went through the same stuff and have much of the same feelings. Although, I don't know much about MCO-- there probably is not that big of diff between the 2.

nyc25 said:

non-cutthroat atmosphere
good residency matches
great clinical exposure

It is now post 5/15...
so where did you decide to go?

ddmoore54 said:
I live at Riverfront with at least a dozen other first years. Everyone I know really likes it. Yes, you can run along the riverwalk. I usually go running from Riverfront to Riverplace all along the river which is 4 miles there and back. Also, I like Belle Isle a lot, which is a 5 miles loop. Run during the day and you have nothing to worry about. Also, I know both riverfront and millender center have running tracks on the top of the parking garages.

Ohh, and the garages are all guarded at the nice places.

Sweet, thanks for the info. With the pics from Thrice I am heavily leaning towards Riverfront. :thumbup:

Thrice said:
I got bored and did somemore tonight, the rest will follow tomorrow:

Downtown Detroit Apartments

Sweet site! Really helpful!

Quick question, does Riverfront offer any incentives for a "quick" move in? Also, how was the kitchen & bathroom at Riverfront? Would you happen to have any pics?

I read your site about Merchant Row and saw your a basefall fan. Awesome! We definately have to go to some ballgames together to decompress! Well thanks for all your info! :thumbup:

Senor.Frog said:
I read your site about Merchant Row and saw your a basefall fan. Awesome! We definately have to go to some ballgames together to decompress! Well thanks for all your info! :thumbup:

Yeah, i didn't get to put the other apartments up becuase the pistons were on and the tigers went to extra innings tonight. Both teams won, so i guess i have to finish putting up pics now :p

Hi all. Starting at WSU-SOM this August as well.

I have some questions about commuting and living situations as well. I originally grew up in New York (Long Island), however have spent the last 10 years in Florida. I'm concerned about the length of time to commute during winter snowfalls and bad weather. Can someone estimate how long it would take for a typical commute from say the Riverfront or Merchants Row area (the pictures were very helpful by the way! I look forward to the rest) in the worst weather conditions? It looks to me like the main road between those areas and campus is Woodward; is it easily passable in inclement weather. My parents seem to be of the opinion that I should be as close to campus as possible (walking distance) where alot of people here seem to be saying that they stay further downtown or even half an hour or more away in the suburbs. So looking for some insight from those of you in the know.

Another thing that I have noticed is that almost all of these apartments come unfurnished. I haven't seen anybody mention this though. As a first year student, is there someplace in the area that most people use to rent furniture? Or do they buy furniture? Or what?

Thanks alot!

Sorry about taking so long, I was out of town this weekend, but I finished adding the pictures of the other 3 apartment complexes.

Detroit Downtown Apartments

Still looking for a roomate as well, feel free to PM me.

Empyrean said:
Hi all. Starting at WSU-SOM this August as well.

I have some questions about commuting and living situations as well. I originally grew up in New York (Long Island), however have spent the last 10 years in Florida. I'm concerned about the length of time to commute during winter snowfalls and bad weather. Can someone estimate how long it would take for a typical commute from say the Riverfront or Merchants Row area (the pictures were very helpful by the way! I look forward to the rest) in the worst weather conditions? It looks to me like the main road between those areas and campus is Woodward; is it easily passable in inclement weather. My parents seem to be of the opinion that I should be as close to campus as possible (walking distance) where alot of people here seem to be saying that they stay further downtown or even half an hour or more away in the suburbs. So looking for some insight from those of you in the know.

Another thing that I have noticed is that almost all of these apartments come unfurnished. I haven't seen anybody mention this though. As a first year student, is there someplace in the area that most people use to rent furniture? Or do they buy furniture? Or what?

Thanks alot!

Drive times to the school: (Aprox, minutes)
Riverfront 7-10 min
Merchants row: 5ish
Phillps Manor: Don't need to drive, the school is about 1-2 blocks away.
Layfette Towers: 5-7 min
Riverplace: 10-12 minutes

As far as furniture, they all came unfurnished. I don't know about renting, I'm just probably going to pick up cheap stuff from IKEA or Pier 1.

Hey have you considered Millender Center or Harbortown? I've read some good things about both of those places. I'm also looking around for housing right now, I've read that the management at Riverfront and Layfette Towers is kind of sketchy though. I'm going to check out the Millender Center tomorrow, but right now I'm leaning towards Layfette Towers. I'm also actually considering living in the new dorm they put up on the west side of the main campus, any thoughts on that?

Thrice said:
Drive times to the school: (Aprox, minutes)
Riverfront 7-10 min
Merchants row: 5ish
Phillps Manor: Don't need to drive, the school is about 1-2 blocks away.
Layfette Towers: 5-7 min
Riverplace: 10-12 minutes

As far as furniture, they all came unfurnished. I don't know about renting, I'm just probably going to pick up cheap stuff from IKEA or Pier 1.

AStudent said:
Join thefacebook.com with your new email address so we can start getting to know everyone. :thumbup:

Hey everyone! Just ran across this forum and thought I'd add my name to the list of soon-to-be WSU SOM students. I also had a question concerning setting up the school e-mail...how do you start receiving external e-mail? What in heaven's name is a POP server and what steps need to be taken to configure one? I would be eternally grateful to anyone who might be able to explain (in painstaking, ridiculous detail) how you set yours up to receive mail from the outside world.

Thank you very much and I'm looking forward to seeing you in August! :luck:

MrJiggyLee said:
Hey have you considered Millender Center or Harbortown? I've read some good things about both of those places. I'm also looking around for housing right now, I've read that the management at Riverfront and Layfette Towers is kind of sketchy though. I'm going to check out the Millender Center tomorrow, but right now I'm leaning towards Layfette Towers. I'm also actually considering living in the new dorm they put up on the west side of the main campus, any thoughts on that?

Tell me how it goes, I am interested in them as well. I just didn't have enough time in the day I was in detroit.

I'm not sure how I feel about living in the campus tower, you have to buy a meal plan which is a major turn off to me.

irishman said:
Hey everyone! Just ran across this forum and thought I'd add my name to the list of soon-to-be WSU SOM students. I also had a question concerning setting up the school e-mail...how do you start receiving external e-mail? What in heaven's name is a POP server and what steps need to be taken to configure one? I would be eternally grateful to anyone who might be able to explain (in painstaking, ridiculous detail) how you set yours up to receive mail from the outside world.

Thank you very much and I'm looking forward to seeing you in August! :luck:

I think the best way to get your school email is through the web portal.

pipeline.wayne.edu

Thrice said:
I think the best way to get your school email is through the web portal.

pipeline.wayne.edu

Alright, I've been on the pipeline website and have ran some test runs with outgoing and incoming mail. I can send outgoing mail to any address out there, but I can't receive anything from, for example, yahoo or hotmail addresses (just mail directly from the school). The "Help" section described these outside addresses as External Mail and it sounded like it required the configuration of a POP (Post Office Protocol) server to receive such mail.

Were you able to receive mail from outside of the school without configuring anything?

Thanks.

irishman said:
Alright, I've been on the pipeline website and have ran some test runs with outgoing and incoming mail. I can send outgoing mail to any address out there, but I can't receive anything from, for example, yahoo or hotmail addresses (just mail directly from the school). The "Help" section described these outside addresses as External Mail and it sounded like it required the configuration of a POP (Post Office Protocol) server to receive such mail.

Were you able to receive mail from outside of the school without configuring anything?

Thanks.

Hm, not the tech Guru you need for this one.

Love the Boondock Saints Quote in your sig though.

For anyone out there still looking for housing...

I have a house I am renting in Grosse Pointe Park (approx. 9 miles from school - as little as 15 minutes door to door) and am still looking for some housemates.
Rent starts at $400/month + share of utilities

If you would like more information, please PM me.

oldjeeps
WSU-SOM
class of 2008

Beware of Phillips Manor, only because the guy I know that lives there now is moving because it was too close to school. He liked being able to walk, but he said it felt like he never left school.

ddmoore54 said:
Beware of Phillips Manor, only because the guy I know that lives there now is moving because it was too close to school. He liked being able to walk, but he said it felt like he never left school.

Yeah, that was a huge turn-off for me. I guess if you didn't have a car it might be alright though.

Thrice said:
Yeah, that was a huge turn-off for me. I guess if you didn't have a car it might be alright though.

With the sad condition of Detroit public transportation, is it even possible to survive in Detroit for very long without at least access to a car?

Another thought for some of you that will be moving to the Motor City from a big city with functional mass transit (NYC, etc) keep in mind that some of your third and fourth year rotations are NOT at the DMC, but are at some of the other hospitals in the Detroit area (Beaumont, St. John, Sinae, etc) which you will have to drive to.

Disclaimer: It might be possible to schedule all of your rotations at the DMC, I just have never heard of it happening.

Did anyone find cheaper health insurance yet or are most people buying the school policy?

Thrice said:
Did anyone find cheaper health insurance yet or are most people buying the school policy?

Hey everyone!! I just happened upon this thread (I hadn't been coming over to the pre-allo board since I got my acceptance) but I'll be joining you all in August! I'm glad someone started a thread for us.

Here's my question:
Is there info on the school's health policy anywhere online? I don't think I got anything in the mail about it...

Oh, and as for where I've descided to live in the fall... I'm going to give those new dorms a try. My husband's going to be living in GR so I kinda needed a place to sleep during the week (that's way too far to commute!). I think it will work out for me... I won't have to worry about the stuff that usually comes with having an entire apartment.... I just hope I get good suitemates!

--Soleil

Soleil9 said:
Hey everyone!! I just happened upon this thread (I hadn't been coming over to the pre-allo board since I got my acceptance) but I'll be joining you all in August! I'm glad someone started a thread for us.

Here's my question:
Is there info on the school's health policy anywhere online? I don't think I got anything in the mail about it...
I doubt that you ever will get anything in the mail about it; afterall this is Wayne State that we are talking about. Their specialty is telling you something when they think you need to know it (usually after you actually needed the information) and not a moment before. Also, I have heard rumors that the school with have a different health insurance policy available for students next year - so there is probably NO information available on it, yet.

Soleil9 said:
Oh, and as for where I've descided to live in the fall... I'm going to give those new dorms a try. My husband's going to be living in GR so I kinda needed a place to sleep during the week (that's way too far to commute!). I think it will work out for me... I won't have to worry about the stuff that usually comes with having an entire apartment.... I just hope I get good suitemates!

--Soleil

Med school quality studying in a dorm???? Best of luck to you on being able to pull that off.

oldjeeps said:
Med school quality studying in a dorm???? Best of luck to you on being able to pull that off.

Hey, well, the top 2 floors are reserved for grad students and they are going to group the suites by discipline (ie law students together, med students together, etc.)

Soleil9 said:
Hey, well, the top 2 floors are reserved for grad students and they are going to group the suites by discipline (ie law students together, med students together, etc.)

If they are anything like the honors dorms at my undergrad, studying shouldnt be hard-- providing u dont get distracted at home by tv, phone, computer, etc. Of course, I had honors students above, below, and on all sides of me. It was almost too quiet! So as long as no one below you decides to throw parties 24/7, you should be fine!

Soleil9 said:
I'm going to give those new dorms a try. My husband's going to be living in GR so I kinda needed a place to sleep during the week (that's way too far to commute!).

I think that will be a good arrangement. It gives you something to look forward to, and allows you to focus on your studies during the week.

Did anyone get their physical and TB screen yet?

Do we just send those to the school? are copies of the origionals ok?

Thrice said:

Just bring that stuff with you to registration.

Might not hurt to have a copy that you can give to the school, but I think they just looked at my records (immunization, etc) and handed it back to me.
On second thought, I think they kept their physical form and I think that I had made a copy of my most recent TB screening that I just told them to keep.

Thrice said:

Is there anything else that we need to get/do?

oldjeeps said:
It is now post 5/15...
so where did you decide to go?

Based on a thread elsewhere, this person decided on MCO.

Seems like a big mistake to me :rolleyes: , but hopefully it somehow fits them the best.

BTW, if anyone decides to live at Riverfront Towers, let me know, I'll split the reference money with you. I think it goes on the application or something.

Thrice said:

Hello all - another WSU-SOM class of '09 member, checking in from the "non-traditional" (read older) end of things.

Anyone know if there is a form from Wayne that we need to get for the physical, I just scheduled mine and the doc was asking what things they are looking for in the physical. I know we probably got a red or blue, or . . . piece of non-letterhead paper about this, but that's long gone now.

mendel121 said:
Hello all - another WSU-SOM class of '09 member, checking in from the "non-traditional" (read older) end of things.

Anyone know if there is a form from Wayne that we need to get for the physical, I just scheduled mine and the doc was asking what things they are looking for in the physical. I know we probably got a red or blue, or . . . piece of non-letterhead paper about this, but that's long gone now.

i faintly remember getting a letter saying that we needed to get a physical after may and that we should contact some department for some form... sorry, not much help. but i would contact admissions and ask... that is what i am going to do in a few weeks. if u find out, please post :)

There was a specific form, but I can't remember when I got it.

yes there is a form. I got mine from the office of admissions. Just call them and ask them to mail you one.

mendel121 said:

I e-mailed them and had the physical form sent to me vis snail-mail
I already received it and have a physical schedule for Tuesday

LGW said:
I e-mailed them and had the physical form sent to me vis snail-mail
I already received it and have a physical schedule for Tuesday

They also told me that you could use a regular/generic sports physical form.