Wayne State Univ SOM 2005 Entering Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
fun8stuff said:
just sitting in orientation .. so do u guys find this as exciting as me?

Man, how can they make this sooooo long :rolleyes:

I skipped the second part in the auditorium today... to play on my laptop in the cafetaria.

Members don't see this ad.

gbiz said:
Man, how can they make this sooooo long :rolleyes:

I skipped the second part in the auditorium today... to play on my laptop in the cafetaria.

Already a skipper! That's my kinda person! :clap: :laugh: It didn't take me too long last year to start skipping the stupid irrelevant lectures and the lectures with the worst profs.... Probably will start skipping things next week or so.

The good thing about Wayne is they videotape all the lectures and post them on blackboard about 1-2 days later. You don't ever have to go into Scott Hall except for labs and small group sessions! ;)

katrinadams9 said:
Already a skipper! That's my kinda person! :clap: :laugh: It didn't take me too long last year to start skipping the stupid irrelevant lectures and the lectures with the worst profs.... Probably will start skipping things next week or so.

The good thing about Wayne is they videotape all the lectures and post them on blackboard about 1-2 days later. You don't ever have to go into Scott Hall except for labs and small group sessions! ;)

Except as first years you have anatomy and/or histo lab like everyday until sometime in late November.
So how was the first day of fun, down in the gross lab? :rolleyes:

And the ever-fun :rolleyes: clinical med lectures… Dang we got another one of them tomorrow, :mad: again.

Members don't see this ad :)
oldjeeps said:
Except as first years you have anatomy and/or histo lab like everyday until sometime in late November.
So how was the first day of fun, down in the gross lab? :rolleyes:

And the ever-fun :rolleyes: clinical med lectures… Dang we got another one of them tomorrow, :mad: again.

No labs today :)

well these anatomy lectures and notes seem worthless for the most part... what is up with this self-instruct crap? why can't they just tell us exactly what we need to know plain and simple...

fun8stuff said:
well these anatomy lectures and notes seem worthless for the most part... what is up with this self-instruct crap? why can't they just tell us exactly what we need to know plain and simple...

Well it is anatomy... I mean it is all non-conceptual. I always thought a lecture for such a course would be useless, and it is proving to be true. However, I still went after telling my friend I was going to skip ;)

fun8stuff said:

To summarize Dr. Hazlett's Pre-exam review session for unit 1 (from last year):
Know everything
or if you don't like that
memorize Netter

or there is always what I was told by some family members
"Suck it up and deal with it; every MD out there has and now it is your turn!"

Better to learn how to "self-instruct" now than later, when you have to teach yourself (third year, fourth year, residency, all of your career)

I highly reccommend the BRS Anatomy book. It is loaded with all the trivial facts that they love to test on. Plus, it has pre-made charts of the upper limb muscles with origins, insertions, innervation, etc.

I'll pass on my method of honoring anatomy....

1)Study every day you get new material.
2)I would go to lectures and just sit and get acquainted with the structures.
3)That night I would start with Netter and memorize the stuff covered in lecture.
4)I would study the notes, while attempting to visualize what I read in Netter.
5)The more you dissect, the less you need to go into lab after hours.
6)Try to spend the majority of the week before the exam reviewing.
7)Read the notes completely a minimum of 3-4 times
8)Outline the stuff you didn't remember on your last pass, review the morning of the exam.
9)Don't worry about the radiology stuff till 4-5 days before the exam. Quiz yourself, what you know the first time, you'll know on the exam. Make a note of the tricky ones, and look at the night before the exam.
10)Take the practice practicals.
11)DO NOT spend a bunch of times on the cross-sections, they'll only be 1-1.5 points total on the practical
12)Review the Rohen atlas the night before the practical
13)Review the appropriate section of BRS.
14)For the cummulative final, use BRS and Netter for the old sections, they're sufficient, no time for old notes.

Good luck and don't worry about what other people are doing. That is the most frustrating thing, you see that somebody else made notecards and you didn't and feel suddenly screwed... don't. Everyone has their own system.

oldjeeps said:
To summarize Dr. Hazlett's Pre-exam review session for unit 1 (from last year):
Know everything
or if you don't like that
memorize Netter

or there is always what I was told by some family members
"Suck it up and deal with it; every MD out there has and now it is your turn!"

Better to learn how to "self-instruct" now than later, when you have to teach yourself (third year, fourth year, residency, all of your career)

amazing, third day and i have heard people say all these things. things are getting better... i guess i was just spoiled by my undergrad anatomy prof.

Bump...

Where did all of you first years go?
Don’t tell me that you are all too busy studying to post to these forums (this one and the WSU one) anymore.

oldjeeps said:
Bump...

Where did all of you first years go?
Don’t tell me that you are all too busy studying to post to these forums (this one and the WSU one) anymore.

yeah.. i've been lurking last couple days. thanks for the great advice ddmore.

we had the practice practical today. during the practical they didnt seem to ask much about origin and insertions, but there were more radiology stuff than i thought there would be. i'm looking forward to tomorrow now... going canoeing and having a cookout. then, i am going to wedding reception (skipping out on the wedding ceremony :eek: )

fun8stuff said:
yeah.. i've been lurking last couple days. thanks for the great advice ddmore.

we had the practice practical today. during the practical they didnt seem to ask much about origin and insertions, but there were more radiology stuff than i thought there would be. i'm looking forward to tomorrow now... going canoeing and having a cookout. then, i am going to wedding reception (skipping out on the wedding ceremony :eek: )

Good luck with your exams.
Relax the Gross practical won't be that bad.

okay, it will be but it will be over soon.

The origins and insertion stuff if primarily for the written. The practicals really are not that difficult (IMO). I always did worse on the practice ones than the real ones. As for the radiology stuff, just look at it. It will be the same exact stuff on the actual exam, so just commit it to memory, like what you can't do in histology.

Members don't see this ad :)
ddmoore54 said:
The origins and insertion stuff if primarily for the written. The practicals really are not that difficult (IMO). I always did worse on the practice ones than the real ones. As for the radiology stuff, just look at it. It will be the same exact stuff on the actual exam, so just commit it to memory, like what you can't do in histology.

thnx guys. you mean, that you need to be able to do more than just recognize the histo info... like be able to recall small details? this is pretty much what i have heard. man... it is friday night and i think i should be studying... like everybody else, but the old exams don't seem that bad...

how do u guys think the old anatomy and histo exams compared to the real thing? do we pretty much have to know the histo notes word for word?

on a side note... how were your guys exam? you had one today and last friday? 250 pages of notes? harder/easier/about the same as first year (So far)? how often do you have exams?

oldjeeps said:
Good luck with your exams.
Relax the Gross practical won't be that bad.

okay, it will be but it will be over soon.

Now, now...

Try not to scare them. They're about to find out why the windows of the upper floors are so narrow.

deowolf04 said:
Now, now...

Try not to scare them. They're about to find out why the windows of the upper floors are so narrow.

don't go giving them any ideas. Besides if Wayne really cared to prevent anyone from doing a header from a high place, after seeing exam scores, they would make it harder to get into the construction areas (with their doors to the outside) and all of the parking structure would have a fence on it to keep us in.

Ok, I've done too much anatomy. My first thought when I read about someone doing a faceplant from Scott Hall was, "I wonder what nerves of the brachial plexus would be effected"?

DocStretch said:
Ok, I've done too much anatomy. My first thought when I read about someone doing a faceplant from Scott Hall was, "I wonder what nerves of the brachial plexus would be effected"?

when did someone do that?

fun8stuff said:

I don't think anyone has actually done something like that; I just thought I'd joke around with you guys a little bit.

According to Dean/Dr. Frank, Scott Hall was built around the riot years or shortly thereafter and was designed to keep the general public out. That's why the windows are so narrow and we have to walk all the way around the building to enter at the security desk.

Good luck to all you first years on Wednesday.

fun8stuff said:
thnx guys. you mean, that you need to be able to do more than just recognize the histo info... like be able to recall small details? this is pretty much what i have heard. man... it is friday night and i think i should be studying... like everybody else, but the old exams don't seem that bad...

how do u guys think the old anatomy and histo exams compared to the real thing? do we pretty much have to know the histo notes word for word?

on a side note... how were your guys exam? you had one today and last friday? 250 pages of notes? harder/easier/about the same as first year (So far)? how often do you have exams?

The more small details you can cram into your heads, the better off you'll be. The instructors find ways to put just about everything on the exam, so you can't afford to just ignore parts of the notes. Make sure you know every single histo slide very well; those 20 or so points will come in handy for the rest of the exam when you're trying to remember the small details in the notes. Also, beware the anatomy written exam--the PDA quiz you had is very similar to the types of questions you can expect.

Our exams are not necessarily easier or harder; they're just different. They are much more clinically-related instead of strict memorization. Wait until you have about 600 pages of notes per exam set when you get to physio/biochem.

I have read so much today I think my eyes are starting to bleed.

I'm pretty much un-learning stuff right now.

On wednesday I'm going to be damn near comatose drunk by 7 pm.

deowolf04 said:
The more small details you can cram into your heads, the better off you'll be. The instructors find ways to put just about everything on the exam, so you can't afford to just ignore parts of the notes. Make sure you know every single histo slide very well; those 20 or so points will come in handy for the rest of the exam when you're trying to remember the small details in the notes. Also, beware the anatomy written exam--the PDA quiz you had is very similar to the types of questions you can expect.

Our exams are not necessarily easier or harder; they're just different. They are much more clinically-related instead of strict memorization. Wait until you have about 600 pages of notes per exam set when you get to physio/biochem.

blah! yeah, well did u hear? they decided we don't need course pack for biochem... just a textbook! :mad:

fun8stuff said:
blah! yeah, well did u hear? they decided we don't need course pack for biochem... just a textbook! :mad:

Hey that could be a blessing...the notes last year were tremendous...I actually think the book has less pages!!! And wait till you see the Physio notes. I tried to put them all in a three ring binder, a 4-inch one, they didn't fit.

dancinjenn said:
Hey that could be a blessing...the notes last year were tremendous...I actually think the book has less pages!!! And wait till you see the Physio notes. I tried to put them all in a three ring binder, a 4-inch one, they didn't fit.

ahhhhhh! at least we won't have to be in lab until 5-6pm everyday!

so i heard a rumor that last year about 80 people from your class failed (or were in the danger zone after) exam 1. Is this true or is it just second years trying to scare us???

fun8stuff said:

so i heard a rumor that last year about 80 people from your class failed (or were in the danger zone after) exam 1. Is this true or is it just second years trying to scare us???

That was the first Physio...the second biochem was pretty much just as bad.

fun8stuff said:

Depends which class you're talking about. I think about 50-60 people failed the first physio exam and about that many failed the second biochem exam. I wouldn't get too freaked out though, 'cuz it's not like they'd actually fail that many students. We ended up with around 10-15 people who failed each class overall.

Definitely don't slack off on the nutrition or genetics b/c they each only have 1 exam. Our class had more people nutrition (15) than anatomy (11)!!! I think a lot of it had to do with the 2nd years (last year, now 3rd years) telling us that those were blow off classes, not to worry and just study for neuro.

The biggest lesson I learned last year is that there are no blow off classes or exams in med school. Make sure you are consistent in your study habits for ever class/exam and you'll do fine!

fun8stuff said:

I have no recollection of ever hearing about that happening – sorry if you feel misled, that was my twisted sense of humor surfacing (Wayne has not completely killed it, yet). But, there were a few times last year (usually right after I got done taking an exam) that it had a certain appeal.
I am sure that there is a med school somewhere out there that has lost at least one student to suicide; but I think that if you can keep everything in perspective you shouldn’t worry too much. Just think of how hard you worked to get into med school, all of the people that did not get in that would love to have your seat in Jaffar, the thousands of other first years across the country that are going through the same hell, and that like most things in life this too shall pass (and hopefully you will too, so that you don’t have to go through it again).

Re: second year vs. first year. I seem to recall speaking with a member of the class of 2007 (a second year last year) who said that what he felt was the worst part of second year is that that isn’t a light at the end of the tunnel that you are seeing – it is a train (I think he was referring to step 1) bearing down on you.

One other thing, it is more important to pass the courses than the exams. Since it is possible to fail an exam (as long as there is at least a second one to pull your score back up) and still make it through the course.

oldjeeps said:
I have no recollection of ever hearing about that happening – sorry if you feel misled, that was my twisted sense of humor surfacing (Wayne has not completely killed it, yet). But, there were a few times last year (usually right after I got done taking an exam) that it had a certain appeal.
I am sure that there is a med school somewhere out there that has lost at least one student to suicide; but I think that if you can keep everything in perspective you shouldn’t worry too much. Just think of how hard you worked to get into med school, all of the people that did not get in that would love to have your seat in Jaffar, the thousands of other first years across the country that are going through the same hell, and that like most things in life this too shall pass (and hopefully you will too, so that you don’t have to go through it again).

Re: second year vs. first year. I seem to recall speaking with a member of the class of 2007 (a second year last year) who said that what he felt was the worst part of second year is that that isn’t a light at the end of the tunnel that you are seeing – it is a train (I think he was referring to step 1) bearing down on you.

One other thing, it is more important to pass the courses than the exams. Since it is possible to fail an exam (as long as there is at least a second one to pull your score back up) and still make it through the course.

i have heard of med students & residents committing suicide... the latest one was of some anestisiology resident who took a drug that paralyzed that (i think) paralyzed the diaphram. that's why i was wondering if u were joking, lol.

do u think the old anatomy and histology exams were comparable to the real thing?

Old exams are useful. They do recycle a few questions per exam. It just gets you into the mode of critical thinking.

Congratulations to all of you MS1s on surviving your first round of exams!

Were they what you were expecting; or do you feel like you were lied to by all of us second years?

oldjeeps said:

Were they what you were expecting; or do you feel like you were lied to by all of us second years?

thanks. they weren't as bad as i had imagined- the practical especially. there were a lot more rest-stops than i thought! of course there were a few things that were ridiculous, but there always is. no, ii dont feel lied too... i feel drrrrunnk arrr!

There are a list of "resources" for Clin Med...what are the very "useful" ones from that list?

oldjeeps said:

LGW said:
There are a list of "resources" for Clin Med...what are the very "useful" ones from that list?

Don’t recall them giving a list of clin med “resources” last year. I just went off the course packet from conjoint – folks that did better in the class might have used additional material.
What is on their list? If we knew that we might be able to direct you a bit better.

As usual, what any of us recommend may or may not work for you – it all depends on what your learning style is and how well it meshes with that of the people giving you “advice”.

I did fairly well in Clin Med last year (came real close to honor, but with a class avg. of around 85-89% it's really hard to honor). All I did was study the notes in the course pack. And I studied pretty hard for the OSCE at the end of the year. Unless they change the structure of the class, which they probably won't, the notes will be sufficient to do well in the class. Buying a book would be worthless and a waste of your precious time.

LGW said:

where's this list of resourceS?

I am a textbook person. I love to have a textbook to refer to because the notes are basically a summary of the text, and when I want the full story I look in the text.

Resources:
Textbook of Physical Diagnosis-H&E (required for CM2)
Resolving Ethical Dilemmas: A Guide for Clinicians

Additional Resources:
Introduction to Clinical Skills:A Patient Centered Textbook

Evidence Based Medicine:
Evidence Based Medicine
User's Guide to the Medical Literature
Epidemiology,Biostatistics and Preventive Medicine

The list is with the other required class textbooks in the "little pink book"

fun8stuff said:
where's this list of resourceS?

LGW said:
I am a textbook person. I love to have a textbook to refer to because the notes are basically a summary of the text, and when I want the full story I look in the text.

Resources:
Textbook of Physical Diagnosis-H&E (required for CM2)
Resolving Ethical Dilemmas: A Guide for Clinicians

Additional Resources:
Introduction to Clinical Skills:A Patient Centered Textbook

Evidence Based Medicine:
Evidence Based Medicine
User's Guide to the Medical Literature
Epidemiology,Biostatistics and Preventive Medicine

The list is with the other required class textbooks in the "little pink book"

Unless they specifically tell you that something has changed from last year and you absolutely need to buy one or more of those books, don't waste your money.

bump...

Why are all of you MS1s being so quite? You might think that you have more important things to do, but you really don't need to study that much.

So how did you all enjoy your Burack lecture?
Great fun, aren’t they? :rolleyes:

oldjeeps said:
bump...

Why are all of you MS1s being so quite? You might think that you have more important things to do, but you really don't need to study that much.

So how did you all enjoy your Burack lecture?
Great fun, aren’t they? :rolleyes:

everyone in our class study's 24/7. i think that is the biggest change i have noticed from undergrad. i can't get myself to study more than 2-3 hours a day (except when reviewing all material the week before exam), and i felt i was very well prepared for the last exams. although, i think this second exam will be harder. there seems to be more material.

as for the burack lecture.... i fell asleep. this is the first time i have fell asleep in a class since junior high. i had an epidemiology class in undergrad, so it was all review anyways.

fun8stuff said:
everyone in our class study's 24/7. i think that is the biggest change i have noticed from undergrad. i can't get myself to study more than 2-3 hours a day (except when reviewing all material the week before exam), and i felt i was very well prepared for the last exams. although, i think this second exam will be harder. there seems to be more material.

as for the burack lecture.... i fell asleep. this is the first time i have fell asleep in a class since junior high. i had an epidemiology class in undergrad, so it was all review anyways.

I KNOW! these people are way to hard-core for me:(
and also, the head and neck sucks, im having a much harder time with this stuff than i did with unit one. i can't wait til anatomy is over!

ambrosia said:
i can't wait til anatomy is over!

I do not know what all the changes to biochem and physio will be. But if those courses are anything like they were last year, you might be singing a different tune in a few months. I know that I was (and am, stupid micro :confused: :scared: :mad: ).

ambrosia said:
I KNOW! these people are way to hard-core for me:(
and also, the head and neck sucks, im having a much harder time with this stuff than i did with unit one. i can't wait til anatomy is over!

did u take the practice practical? it harder than the last practice practical! :eek:

fun8stuff said:
did u take the practice practical? it harder than the last practice practical! :eek:

The problem with head and neck is that everything is so small that you can't possibly find everything when you dissect it. When you get to the actual practical, you will find that they tag stuff that you had no idea was there or that you just gave up trying to find. Also, make sure you know your ANS stuff from here on out because they will use that on both the written and practical exams.

I'll close with a bit of reassurance: once you get to unit 3, things get easier. Thorax/abdomen was my favorite anatomy unit and almost everything is huge/easy to find. You won't find many nerves as large as the brachial plexus until the lumbar plexus, but you won't have to worry about every cut with the scalpel either.

deowolf04 said:
I'll close with a bit of reassurance: once you get to unit 3, things get easier. Thorax/abdomen was my favorite anatomy unit and almost everything is huge/easy to find. You won't find many nerves as large as the brachial plexus until the lumbar plexus, but you won't have to worry about every cut with the scalpel either.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. For me, head and neck was the best and most interesting unit. That's probably why I did well in neuroanatomy... anything to do with the brain is just plain awesome! I did pretty horrible on the thorax/abdomen because it just covered sooooo much material. I was barely able to memorize every aspect of the heart, lungs and arteries coming off the abdominal aorta. I didn't have enough time to work on all the abdominal organs. And then you get to unit 4 which is the pelvic floor and leg self study. That also blew....

Basically I think everyone did well on whatever unit they liked or found really interesting (except for the damn gunners who did well on everything).

katrinadams9 said:
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. For me, head and neck was the best and most interesting unit. That's probably why I did well in neuroanatomy... anything to do with the brain is just plain awesome! I did pretty horrible on the thorax/abdomen because it just covered sooooo much material. I was barely able to memorize every aspect of the heart, lungs and arteries coming off the abdominal aorta. I didn't have enough time to work on all the abdominal organs. And then you get to unit 4 which is the pelvic floor and leg self study. That also blew....

Basically I think everyone did well on whatever unit they liked or found really interesting (except for the damn gunners who did well on everything).

there seems to be a million things in the head and neck! there's more in the thorax/abdomen?! yikes.

Alright who F'ed up and got our prosections taken away?

I haven't even had a chance to look at 25% them yet becuase there are 21382432094320 people in the damn room every time I go in there.

fun8stuff said:

yea i know, i got more than half wrong :confused:

ambrosia said:
yea i know, i got more than half wrong :confused:

I've talked to several people, and almost all of them said that they got half wrong - did anyone else think that some stuff was mis-tagged? Like stylohyoid tagged when the answer was stylopharyngeus. A couple people that I talked to thought this as well

mendel121 said:
I've talked to several people, and almost all of them said that they got half wrong - did anyone else think that some stuff was mis-tagged? Like stylohyoid tagged when the answer was stylopharyngeus. A couple people that I talked to thought this as well

yes, i remember thinking a few things were mistagged, including stylopharyngeus. But oh well... i guess i don't want to complain too much because I appreciate the effort.

fun8stuff said:
yes, i remember thinking a few things were mistagged, including stylopharyngeus. But oh well... i guess i don't want to complain too much because I appreciate the effort.

Oh, no I agree, I was just saying that maybe our performance isn't as bad as we thought that's all.

I can't imagine setting one of those up while in school myself