Wayne State Univ SOM 2005 Entering Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mendel121 said:
Oh, no I agree, I was just saying that maybe our performance isn't as bad as we thought that's all.

I can't imagine setting one of those up while in school myself

and a year later at that! i am not sure i will remember how to find some of the harder things (like stylopharyngeus) a year from now. heck, i will be lucky if i remember the name! haha... i think they also wanted to make it hard... better to be too hard than too easy. but as you said, probably not very representative of the real thing. i know i did better on the first exam than i did on the first practice practical.

Members don't see this ad.

so how's studying going for everyone? anybody know if tomorrow's embryo lecture is on this exam or next?

fun8stuff said:
so how's studying going for everyone? anybody know if tomorrow's embryo lecture is on this exam or next?

A lecture that is covered before the exam is on that exam, even if the lecture is the day before. As of yet, there have been no exceptions for last year or this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else tired of wasting their whole afternoon trying to get a Clin Med small group? First I got errors, now it just sits and does nothing - just what I need to spend my time doing 2 days before an exam

mendel121 said:
Anyone else tired of wasting their whole afternoon trying to get a Clin Med small group? First I got errors, now it just sits and does nothing - just what I need to spend my time doing 2 days before an exam

yea, that was pretty annoying. pretty much the worst system EVER!

I got Dr. Shenk. She is very cool, I interviewed with her.

Good luck on the test tomorrow guys.

i got stellini, so i hope he's good!

Thrice said:
I got Dr. Shenk. She is very cool, I interviewed with her.

Good luck on the test tomorrow guys.

Dr. Schenk is awesome. You'll like her as your instructor.

I'm just bumping this post to get us past harvard. That and I'm drunk.

ambrosia said:
i got stellini, so i hope he's good!

Stellini is really good. our group had him as a substitute a couple of times last year. This part of clin med is actually fun. Be sure to do your readings for the session in advance and it will win you big brownie points...which is good because part of your grade for the small group sessions is the quantity/quality that you contribute to the discussions.

Thrice said:
I'm just bumping this post to get us past harvard. That and I'm drunk.

Josh, you're always drunk. haha...

unoriginal said:
Josh, you're always drunk. haha...

Well its either drink or study. I chose the lesser of two evils.

Did anyone go to class today? was lab cancled? Ireland's email was odd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thrice said:

i didnt go to class, but i was at school and lab was canceled. do you know when we are suppose to start on lower limb?:

Thrice said:

:confused:
How about sharing what is going on with the second years?

For some reason I thought that they never cancelled lab unless something big happened (like the blackout a couple of years back); what happened?

oldjeeps said:
:confused:
How about sharing what is going on with the second years?

For some reason I thought that they never cancelled lab unless something big happened (like the blackout a couple of years back); what happened?

They wanted to give us a chance to "soak" in Goebel's lectures before the lab session, so the lab on Friday was cancelled

LGW said:
They wanted to give us a chance to "soak" in Goebel's lectures before the lab session, so the lab on Friday was cancelled

I know that some of you will be hoping Ireland does the same thing two weeks from today, so "the lectures will soak in..." Maybe he'll let you go out and join him. ;)

Lower limb self study sucks.

Thrice said:

Yes, it does/did. Just remember that you are almost free from the lab (unless there happens to be a string attached to you)

oldjeeps said:
Yes, it does/did. Just remember that you are almost free from the lab (unless there happens to be a string attached to you)

Remember how good it felt to know you passed your last undergrad classes? You'll feel the same amount of happiness when you find out you passed anatomy/histo.

By the way, do NOT, under any circumstances, miss the first three days of physio the week of Thanksgiving. You will be very hard-pressed to learn blood coagulation by yourself, and the other material covered that week is not easy at all.

Thrice said:

i agree- self study (w/ no lectures) sucks. embryology sucks (all except clinical stuff). histology sucks. regular anatomy was okay.

has anybody here taken the self study approach (aka skipping lecture)? i started this half way through anatomy and histology and it worked pretty good in that it saved me a lot of time. howver, i still watched the lectures from home, but at 2x. anybody else have this approach for other classes?

deowolf04 said:
Remember how good it felt to know you passed your last undergrad classes? You'll feel the same amount of happiness when you find out you passed anatomy/histo.

By the way, do NOT, under any circumstances, miss the first three days of physio the week of Thanksgiving. You will be very hard-pressed to learn blood coagulation by yourself, and the other material covered that week is not easy at all.

will it feel like that with every class!?

deowolf04 said:

i've heard that from a bunch of people, actually. is the material those first few days just so hard that its a bad idea not to be there or something? or are you just the type of person who never skips lecture anyways?

fun8stuff said:
will it feel like that with every class!?

No, just anatomy.

ambrosia said:
i've heard that from a bunch of people, actually. is the material those first few days just so hard that its a bad idea not to be there or something? or are you just the type of person who never skips lecture anyways?

If you are one of those people who prefers to do med school by correspondence (all self study), then there is nothing that will compel you to go to class anyway. I strongly urge all of you first years to not miss those classes, both because the material is difficult and it is a bad idea to get behind in physio. I cannot make it any clearer than that.

Personally, my obsessive-compulsive personality drags me into just about every class. The only times I miss are when the weather is very bad and I don't feel like risking a car accident or when I know the lecturer will be absolutely awful and I'll just save myself the aggravation.

i don't want to study anymore! :barf:

fun8stuff said:

As I was told many times last year: “Every Doc out there has been through it, now it’s your turn, so suck it up and deal with it!”

:rolleyes: Or you can always drop out. :rolleyes:

oldjeeps said:
As I was told many times last year: “Every Doc out there has been through it, now it’s your turn, so suck it up and deal with it!”

:rolleyes: Or you can always drop out. :rolleyes:

haha... if i dropped out i would be a stay at home dad. that actually sounds like a good life right about now.....

fun8stuff said:

Yea I pretty much started feeling that way LAST weekend.
this next week is gonna suck!

Here's a little motivation for studying... :)

Final Exam Slam
POSH Nightclub & Ultralounge (Ferndale)
9pm-2am
Drink Specials 9-11pm

Hope to see you all there!!!

Scrubz67 said:
Here's a little motivation for studying... :)

Final Exam Slam
POSH Nightclub & Ultralounge (Ferndale)
9pm-2am
Drink Specials 9-11pm

Hope to see you all there!!!

People drink in med school?

Happy Thanksgiving.

hey. I am looking for a female student/resident/intern to share my apt. Please PM. Thank you! Good luck!!!

Where do you currently live?

EmmDee said:
Where do you currently live?

I am looking for a female student/resident/intern to share my apt (Belcrest apartments on Cass Ave). Please PM. Thank you!