Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i feel kind of lost too... i am doing inpatient first. these are prob stupid questions, but do we have a set schedule? do we pretty much go in everyday and leave when they tell us to? all i know is i am suppose to show up before 7am tomorrow. just looking for something to tell my wife other than "see you some time next June" ... hahaha

i am also having problems contacting the lady at HFHS that i have to contact before i contact my CCC doc to set up a meeting time.

I am also at HFHS. I spoke with my CCC doc this evening and he said that CCC days were on Fridays from 1:00 to 4:00. I don't know if you have the same guy.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone participate in the summer prematriculation program and did it help?

OK, so I went to fill out my application for the Fam Med clerkship today - they send me to the second floor, I see a room labeled "Family Medicine Clerkship Applications" - I go into the empty room that has a table, with some binders and folders on it. No directions of any kind, I figure out where the applications are, where the binders with the reviews are and where the lists of possible preceptors are - none of this is labeled. I fill out the form and have no idea where to drop it off - since there are no directions, I ask some random office occupant, this person directs me to this other office to drop it off. I go in and tell the woman that I need to drop this form off, and she stares at me for like 5 or 10 seconds - like I just grew a third head or something. Then she says "when's your rotation?" I tell her, she says ok, takes my form. Then she tells me that two of the doctors that I ranked are in the same office, so they only count as one selection, but "she'll let it go this time". I knew that these two were in the same office based on the reviews, but they were listed seperately on all the lists, so I figure I double my chances of getting in there if I rank both of them. Anyway - since she was sort of scolding me for ranking them seperately, I asked her - "How are we supposed to know that they are considered as one person?" she says "I'm telling you now" - all snotty like. At that point I just walked out and said "fine, whatever". That was absurd even by Wayne standards. Have other people done this and had the same experience or am I just challenged?

Seeing how I have spent a bit of time chatting with her and never had any problems (including doing FM at a site that isn't in the almighty book:rolleyes:), I am going to have to say that you're challenged.
However as Deowolf pointed out you have to realize just how much paperwork these folks actually deal with and do whatever you can to make their lives easier (which will make your life easier in the long run) - that is especially important for peds.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are at Children's, you have two days of newborn nursery, a day of Med/Peds clinic, a week (or so) of general peds clinic, and about 2 weeks of peds specialty work.

Ah, the horror of the week in the GPC.. I am so glad that I will never have to step foot in their again.

i feel kind of lost too... i am doing inpatient first. these are prob stupid questions, but do we have a set schedule? do we pretty much go in everyday and leave when they tell us to? all i know is i am suppose to show up before 7am tomorrow. just looking for something to tell my wife other than "see you some time next June" ... hahaha

i am also having problems contacting the lady at HFHS that i have to contact before i contact my CCC doc to set up a meeting time.

set schedule:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Now that you are in your clinical years that is a thing of the past. The team owns you and you are paying for the privilage of being used. You WILL learn how to ask/suggest to your senior to be sent home, but you have to do it the appropriate way.

I am also at HFHS. I spoke with my CCC doc this evening and he said that CCC days were on Fridays from 1:00 to 4:00. I don't know if you have the same guy.

CCC days will depend on who your doc is and what their schedule is like. I was there on Mon AMs.

And the continuity part of CCC was a joke at the office I was assigned to; I hope that the rest of you have better luck with that. Of course I was also wayned by the how little attention they payed to my ccc request/preference.

I'm totally posting this from a DMC computer. Peds is great so far - anyone rotating through Children's is in good hands, because the program director is definitely on the ball.

Now, about that part where I'm supposed to be in the newborn nursery this thursday....

I'm totally posting this from a DMC computer. Peds is great so far - anyone rotating through Children's is in good hands, because the program director is definitely on the ball.

Now, about that part where I'm supposed to be in the newborn nursery this thursday....

The clerkship director (Dr. F.) may be on the ball but you are going to come to hate her love of pointless paperwork.

I'm guessing that you are starting off with the outpt block - study as much as you can now since you'll have less time for it during the inpt block. If you are lucky you MIGHT have a good experience (except of the GPC) during this month - but that will depend greatly on what specialty they have you spending time with.

i started with inpatient and feel a bit overwelmed... mainly because i feel like i don't know anything and don't want to make that big of a fool of myself. it seems like there is too much to learn. oh well.

so when i do IM at oakwood, are there going to be lectures at scott hall that i will have to get to? i am assuming there will be...

What team are you on for inpatient? Dancingjenn told me about the 2+ hour wait this morning, which sounds like tons of fun...

I'm on the general peds clinic for a week too. Bring on the pain!

Anyone living, moving into, or have any experience with Woodward North Apartments? I am about to sign a lease with them and wanted to know if any medical students live here.

Thanks!!

Well, I'm off to do the first of two 24 hour shifts... hopefully it will involve some sleep:sleep: and a few cool moments :)

Well, I'm off to do the first of two 24 hour shifts... hopefully it will involve some sleep:sleep: and a few cool moments :)

only 2? that's not bad. which hospital are you at?

Members don't see this ad :)
only 2? that's not bad. which hospital are you at?

2 would be nice. I've got 4 this month for in-pt peds @ children's...in fact, I sit here in my first of the 4.

2 would be nice. I've got 4 this month for in-pt peds @ children's...in fact, I sit here in my first of the 4.

i have 4 too, but i get this weekend off! yay! i've also been getting done between 3 and 5pm. how many patients have you guys taken on "by yourself" so far? i've only been given one so far, but have been told i will get more once i am on call.

i have 4 too, but i get this weekend off! yay! i've also been getting done between 3 and 5pm. how many patients have you guys taken on "by yourself" so far? i've only been given one so far, but have been told i will get more once i am on call.

I am at Providence for OB/GYN -- and only 2 IS nice!

I have taken a few histories for triage patients by myself, but I had help with the PE (ultrasound... not an expert...)

I "helped" deliver 2 vaginal deliveries last night and 2 cesareans... though I have discovered how awesome my vasovagal reflex is. I have had to sit down in the middle/end of each surgery. I hope I get used to it b/c I can't imagine spending 2 months not being able to make it through the entire procedure -- let alone 2 months to come in surgery. :-( Some nurses said that I should get used to the smells and things within a few days and most people get over it -- I hope I am one of them!

I have taken a few histories for triage patients by myself, but I had help with the PE (ultrasound... not an expert...)

I "helped" deliver 2 vaginal deliveries last night and 2 cesareans... though I have discovered how awesome my vasovagal reflex is. I have had to sit down in the middle/end of each surgery. I hope I get used to it b/c I can't imagine spending 2 months not being able to make it through the entire procedure -- let alone 2 months to come in surgery. :-( Some nurses said that I should get used to the smells and things within a few days and most people get over it -- I hope I am one of them!

"smells" ...hmm... interesting.

Honestly I thought last year that amniotic fluid was probably the worst medical smell there was. I could walk past the various delivery rooms and knew which ones delivered a kid within the last 12 hours without even looking to see if there was a patient in it. That smell ranks up there with the cautery smell of burned flesh in surgery. Now, I have one more to add to the list: a massive upper GI bleed causing a large amount of blood to pass per rectum. It made the air in an entire ED module almost unbreatheable for a while.

And yes, you will learn to tame your vasovagal reflex, increase your standing stamina for surgery, and learn to function with chronic sleep deprivation given time. Just keep in mind that you have just started and everyone knows you are just getting used to your clinical years. You will be surprised how far you come this year.

Honestly I thought last year that amniotic fluid was probably the worst medical smell there was. I could walk past the various delivery rooms and knew which ones delivered a kid within the last 12 hours without even looking to see if there was a patient in it. That smell ranks up there with the cautery smell of burned flesh in surgery. Now, I have one more to add to the list: a massive upper GI bleed causing a large amount of blood to pass per rectum. It made the air in an entire ED module almost unbreatheable for a while.

And yes, you will learn to tame your vasovagal reflex, increase your standing stamina for surgery, and learn to function with chronic sleep deprivation given time. Just keep in mind that you have just started and everyone knows you are just getting used to your clinical years. You will be surprised how far you come this year.

Yea! I "helped" with 2 hysterectomies today and D&C and had no problems. I was in the OR from about 8am till 4:30 b/c the 2nd hysterectomy was for a woman with a 17cm mucous cystadenoma (think 15 pound bowling ball) on one ovary (on top of a few complications). It was the best day EVER!!!!!:D

PS, I agree that amniotic fluid smells NASTY! And I would add that perineal lacerations are awful to watch happen.:thumbdown: My crotch hurts just thinking about it.

Note to 3rd years and other future students: support hose are awesome, even if they do make you feel like an old granny :)

how is everybody's CCC? are you actually going to be following the same patients throughout the 6 months?

how is everybody's CCC? are you actually going to be following the same patients throughout the 6 months?

The only continuity you get from your continuity clinic is your preceptor noticing how much you improve over six months. I had zero follow-up patients, and I hear that was the case with most other people too.

Mine was "interesting". I did see a lot of patients by myself.

It's going to vary substantially.

I saw a lot of patients by myself (just never the same one twice) and then would present and return to the exam room with the attending to wrap up the visit.
I know of at least one classmate that never got to see any pts by themself - they spent the entire 6 months shadowing the attending, because that was how the attending wanted it.

My impression is that if you are at a family or peds clinic you have a better chance of actually having some continuity than you do if you are assigned to an IM clinic.

It's going to vary substantially.

I saw a lot of patients by myself (just never the same one twice) and then would present and return to the exam room with the attending to wrap up the visit.
I know of at least one classmate that never got to see any pts by themself - they spent the entire 6 months shadowing the attending, because that was how the attending wanted it.

My impression is that if you are at a family or peds clinic you have a better chance of actually having some continuity than you do if you are assigned to an IM clinic.

I disagree. I spent my CCC at an IM clinic and had a great experience. I saw patients myself and presented to the attending. Then we would see the patient together to discuss the diagnosis and treatment, as well as go over any interesting exam findings I missed. My preceptor didn't have any nurses or medical assistants, so I did the vitals, ECGs, urine dipsticks, and blood draws on my patients. Unlike many of my fellow students, I actually did have continuity and saw many of the same patients over and over.

If any of you have the chance to rotate with Dr. Marc Petrous in Livonia, you should consider doing your CCC and/or your fourth year ambulatory rotation with him. He is a great teacher and the variety of patients gives you lots of opportunities to learn. The only bad thing is that due to his awesome reputation, I believe he may be booked through 2008. But it's still worth looking into...

If any of you have the chance to rotate with Dr. Marc Petrous in Livonia, you should consider doing your CCC and/or your fourth year ambulatory rotation with him. He is a great teacher and the variety of patients gives you lots of opportunities to learn. The only bad thing is that due to his awesome reputation, I believe he may be booked through 2008. But it's still worth looking into...

I can attest to this -- I had Dr. Petrous for my year 1 clin med site visits and I learned so much from him. I requested him for my CCC... so I hope that works out!

And I have to add that although I was only there 3 times, I saw 2 or 3 patients multiple times.

some people on sdn say that they can go to their schools to get their step1 score once they are released or that their school will email the scores to each student. others have to wait for them to be mailed. i am guessing we have to wait until they are mailed... anybody know for sure how wayne handles it?

supposedly people who took the test in may to late june will have theirs scores released july 18.

some people on sdn say that they can go to their schools to get their step1 score once they are released or that their school will email the scores to each student. others have to wait for them to be mailed. i am guessing we have to wait until they are mailed... anybody know for sure how wayne handles it?

supposedly people who took the test in may to late june will have theirs scores released july 18.

I read that we can either go to the school to get scores or wait until we receive them in the mail. se the very bottom of this page: http://www.med.wayne.edu/student_affairs/academic_support/stepprep.asp

I stopped in yesterday and asked about this. Tracy said the scores should be in next wednesday after 1 (but she said come in after 2pm, to be sure, or call to confirm before driving in.) She said they usually won't give scores over the phone. USMLE will also mail the scores, but that will take longer to get....

If you go in on that day they will tell you the score you got. Otherwise you have to wait about another week to get it in the mail.

If you go in on that day they will tell you the score you got. Otherwise you have to wait about another week to get it in the mail.

i hope they give it to us on a folded piece of paper... if i bomb the thing, i think i am going to want to be away from people when i find out!!!! :eek:

i hope they give it to us on a folded piece of paper... if i bomb the thing, i think i am going to want to be away from people when i find out!!!! :eek:

That is exactly why I am going to wait for the mail -- I don't want everyone to see me cry if it's bad.

No its not on paper, one of the counselors takes you into their office and tells you verbally, so nobody else will be overhearing how you did. It's private and worth it compared to spending another week in agony checking the mail everyday.

No its not on paper, one of the counselors takes you into their office and tells you verbally, so nobody else will be overhearing how you did. It's private and worth it compared to spending another week in agony checking the mail everyday.

And then the counselor writes it down (on a sticky note) for you.

As memory serves they also made some inane/encouraging comment - or maybe that was just for me.

And then the counselor writes it down (on a sticky note) for you.

As memory serves they also made some inane/encouraging comment - or maybe that was just for me.

well what did they say??? i.e. *smirk* "so you actually want to be a doctor?! don't worry... you could always be that guy to go on the infomerical for the supplaments that make your male appendage 2x bigger!" that is what i am afraid they will say to me!!! ahhaha

well what did they say??? i.e. *smirk* "so you actually want to be a doctor?! don't worry... you could always be that guy to go on the infomerical for the supplaments that make your male appendage 2x bigger!" that is what i am afraid they will say to me!!! ahhaha

You mean, "that certain part of the male anatomy". Must be some legal thing. That way in court they can say, "yeah, we meant that when you take our product, the male stomach becomes up to 25% larger and even more rigid"....LOL

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That would be more along the lines of a cruel comment, not an inane one.
I seem to remember more of a comment on my performance vs. the national mean.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That would be more along the lines of a cruel comment, not an inane one.
I seem to remember more of a comment on my performance vs. the national mean.

As long as I don't have to retake the damn thing I don't really care at this point what my score is. Just so I don't have to worry about it ever again!

As long as I don't have to retake the damn thing I don't really care at this point what my score is. Just so I don't have to worry about it ever again!

Jenn, that is exactly how I felt a year ago.

My impression was that most people went through a series of emotions when they got their scores:
#1: relief that they passed and wouldn't have to repeat it; followed by
#2: frustration that it wasn't a little bit higher.

Jenn, that is exactly how I felt a year ago.

My impression was that most people went through a series of emotions when they got their scores:
#1: relief that they passed and wouldn't have to repeat it; followed by
#2: frustration that it wasn't a little bit higher.

and no matter how high you score, you will still wonder if you couldn't have done a little bit better. a friend of mine who scored 249 felt bad bc he didnt break 250!

and no matter how high you score, you will still wonder if you couldn't have done a little bit better. a friend of mine who scored 249 felt bad bc he didnt break 250!

OK. That's a touch much...upset at a 249?!? Do you honestly think the residency directors are going to make a big deal over a single point (unless that point is a 199 --> 200)?

To quote Lynette Harper (you'll meet her when starting your ERAS apps), "it is what it is." There is nothing you can do to change it now, so you should be at least pleased with yourself that you conquered that beast.

To those of you who did not do as well as you would have liked, there are more chances to impress residency directors (shelf exams/rotation grades, Step 2).

Just remember that you are doing your clinical work now, and that is what you wanted from the start of med school. Be happy you are out of Scott Hall, even if you hate your current rotation, because you eventually find something that you like.

Does anyone remember what they do if you fail? I recall another student telling me that Student Affairs will call you. Is this true? I'm just wondering because I am out in the 'burbs this week for my rotation and I won't have time to drive in to get my score... but if I fail I got to start making my contingency plans now....... this is a 'just in case' scenario.....

yay! i don't have to retake that test!

OK so I have a little story - anyone heard of the oasis trick? Supposedly, if you try to register for step 1 again after passing it won't let you do it, so it's a way to see if you've passed before you see your score. After I knew that Wayne had my scores, I did it, and it let me register - I was a little freaked out, so I went down expecting to be told I failed, so when she told me my score, I was pretty pleasantly surprised. I'm going to burn First Aid tonight!

OK. That's a touch much...upset at a 249?!? Do you honestly think the residency directors are going to make a big deal over a single point (unless that point is a 199 --> 200)?

I can't speak for fun8stuff, but my point (and I think that fun8stuff was stating it in a different way) was that regardless of how well you do there will always be some doubt in your mind if you might have been able to do just a little better.
It’s that stupid illogical part of our brains that just isn’t satisfied with anything less than perfection. Of course the entire time the logical part of our brains is occupied celebrating the pass.

The perpetual question of: if I got just one more question correct would my board score/z-score/etc be any higher?

BTW fun8stuff, congrats on surviving that beast.:hardy:

I can't speak for fun8stuff, but my point (and I think that fun8stuff was stating it in a different way) was that regardless of how well you do there will always be some doubt in your mind if you might have been able to do just a little better.
It's that stupid illogical part of our brains that just isn't satisfied with anything less than perfection. Of course the entire time the logical part of our brains is occupied celebrating the pass.

The perpetual question of: if I got just one more question correct would my board score/z-score/etc be any higher?

BTW fun8stuff, congrats on surviving that beast.:hardy:

thanks! :banana: it is such a relief to have that behind me! i had them write it down and i couldn't look until i got home! i was such a wuss.

..and that was exactly what i was getting at. no matter how high you get, there will be someone higher than you and you will think, "well what if i hadn't changed the answer on those 2 or 3 questions".. etc,etc. everyone can think of a few questions they should have gotten right but didn't.

congrats to mendel and everyone else! :hardy: i am sure you all did fine!

OK so I have a little story - anyone heard of the oasis trick? Supposedly, if you try to register for step 1 again after passing it won't let you do it, so it's a way to see if you've passed before you see your score. After I knew that Wayne had my scores, I did it, and it let me register - I was a little freaked out, so I went down expecting to be told I failed, so when she told me my score, I was pretty pleasantly surprised. I'm going to burn First Aid tonight!

haha, yeah i heard about that in the step1 forums. i am glad i didnt try it now! congrats!

eros327.gif

That would be my Hell Yeah, I passed Step I dance.

PS. You guys were right. General peds clinic is a clusterf***.

What are the best books to buy for MS1?

You will be able to learn almost everything (like 95+%) from the notes that are provided. For anatomy, you will need a Netter Anatomy Atlas (you might be able to get one of these for free if you join AMSA, but i heard they changed this). They didnt give us real notes for anatomy, so i studied for the cummulative anatomy final with BRS anatomy, which worked very well.

First Aid is a big summary of everything you need to know for step 1. It is good to have one of these. I bought the 2005 edition at the beginning of MS1 and tried to follow along in it (didn't read everything). When it came time to take the boards in 2007 they had made significant revisions/improvements... I know this for a fact because I read 2005 once, then borrowed 2007 from a friend and read it while comparing the differences with 2007. So, just keep this in mind... The main point is that you really only need to know the notes (there will be a lot of notes) to do well in the courses. Don't waste too much time with books, esp if you are a bio/chem/science major.

so i heard that are resident/internss also fill out evaluations for us? Is this true? So the people who write evals for us are the attending, senior resident, felllow?, and interns??? I know we were told who does these, but I some managed to not be paying attention each time they went over this...