Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't you think that this is just a powerplay by Duggan - to get MSU in there, they'll agree to whatever he wants because they're eager to get in someplace. Then over time Duggan can crowd Wayne out, and he wins which is all he's really interested in. He's just using MSU.

it will be easier for him to get his way with msu and wayne competing...

Members don't see this ad.

Heres to not voting for any of the incumbent Trustees at MSU next election!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: :thumbup: I was just thinking the same thing :D

I sent an email to every trustee basically saying that I will not provide any financial support or vote any of the incumbents if this deal goes through in the future. Looks like someone on the other side gave them a better deal.

Don't y'all just love it:rolleyes: when a bunch of politicians and business types decide that they know more about medical education than those of us that deal with it on daily basis (either on the teaching or learning end).

Definitely agree with the above; not going to be voting for any incumbents for MSU trustee next time.

I'm not going to vote for them (MSU's trustees) either, but you can't blame them for wanting this deal.

Don't forget Jenny Granholm's longstanding political ties to Duggan.

Don't you think that this is just a powerplay by Duggan - to get MSU in there, they'll agree to whatever he wants because they're eager to get in someplace. Then over time Duggan can crowd Wayne out, and he wins which is all he's really interested in. He's just using MSU.

Of course this is a powerplay by Duggan, as I referred to in both of my previous posts. That's why it is time for us to try to strike back at him and try to force his resignation. And if the ACGME decides to start shutting down residency programs, he will become known as the guy that destroyed the DMC and his political career will be finished.

Of course this is a powerplay by Duggan, as I referred to in both of my previous posts. That's why it is time for us to try to strike back at him and try to force his resignation. And if the ACGME decides to start shutting down residency programs, he will become known as the guy that destroyed the DMC and his political career will be finished.
But all he really cares about is the power, I guess is my point - from his perspective if he shuts down all of the WSUSOM residencies, he's so good, he'll just re-open them with MSUCOM or something like that.

His goal is to be known as the guy that turned a profit at the DMC, he could give two squirts about health care, etc.

from his perspective if he shuts down all of the WSUSOM residencies, he's so good, he'll just re-open them with MSUCOM or something like that.
Not if the ACGME told him that they 'will not approve any new residencies at the DMC for a period of X years to give them time to clean up their act'. I would suggest that they say something like 5 to 10 years - that should get his attention.

His goal is to be known as the guy that turned a profit at the DMC, he could give two squirts about health care, etc.
Which has been said many time and many ways, so I can't disagree with that.

Which is also why I don’t think that politicians and suits should be in a position to have any control of medical education or the health care system. Only problem with that is I am not sure that a part-time MD/CEO would be any better (the old thing about being unable to serve two masters). They would have to make up their mind if they were going to be a clinician or a suit and unfortunately some would be blinded by the $ of being a suit.

I'm not going to vote for them (MSU's trustees) either, but you can't blame them for wanting this deal.

Don't forget Jenny Granholm's longstanding political ties to Duggan.

I'm as big of a democrat as anyone, but I do agree with you on this. Granholm has let loyalty get in the way of common sense here.

(still don't regret voting against DeVos)

Oh man, studying micro brings back so many memories.

Mostly the one where they shouted STAPH AUREUS = ENDOCARDITIS IN IV DRUG USERS over and over again.

And then the anti-microbials guy made sweet sweet love to his drug chart in front of everyone.

A little poll...

Which did you choose for your stafford loans and what were your benefits. If none of these three write which you chose:

THE
Medloans
Citibank

Members don't see this ad :)
A little poll...

Which did you choose for your stafford loans and what were your benefits. If none of these three write which you chose:

THE
Medloans
Citibank

I chose medfunds and I don't remember exactly the benefits, but it was something like no loan fees (that 700-1000 or whatever each year we get loans) and some kind of reward for paying on time in the future (reduced interest? dropped payment? hmmm... seems so long ago).

When are the disbursement dates for financial aid? Are they well in to August or maybe even a little before we start in mid-July or so?

I chose medfunds and I don't remember exactly the benefits, but it was something like no loan fees (that 700-1000 or whatever each year we get loans) and some kind of reward for paying on time in the future (reduced interest? dropped payment? hmmm... seems so long ago).

yeah i chose the same... i hope it was the right choice... i didn't do much research into. it may also be a good idea to email the financial aid office and see if they have any recommendations.

@UMP: for first years i think it is the first or second week of august. there are certain fees that they can automatically take out of your disbursement when it comes in.. but you better make sure you have money for first months rent and those other startup costs... a couple thousand would be safe. I know I had a tough time with this, as I came right from undergrad and had a lot of fun the summer before (i.e. spent a lot of money).

When are the disbursement dates for financial aid? Are they well in to August or maybe even a little before we start in mid-July or so?

At least on my financial aid report (through pipeline), I can see my disbursment schedule. If you don't have that information, I have usually received my check within 2 weeks of beginning class in August and January.

Or you could just call up FA and scream "Where's my money Biatch!" But I don't really recommend that.

yeah i chose the same... i hope it was the right choice... i didn't do much research into. it may also be a good idea to email the financial aid office and see if they have any recommendations.

Yea!!! My SDN buddy Fun8 is here! I feel so abused this summer with step 1. :D

Did anyone here participate to the summer pre-matriculation pragram? What are your thoughts? would you recommend it?

So, I just got my award for loans... I guess merit-based scholarships won't go out until june/july... my question is, should I accept these now and will I be able to cancel them later if I get a scholarship somehow, or should I wait until those decisions for scholarships are made?

So, I just got my award for loans... I guess merit-based scholarships won't go out until june/july... my question is, should I accept these now and will I be able to cancel them later if I get a scholarship somehow, or should I wait until those decisions for scholarships are made?

yeah, accept them now and it can be changed later if needed.

@francis doss: i didn't do it so i don't know. Is it a 1 day thing or is it longer? I would recommend having fun this summer!

Yea!!! My SDN buddy Fun8 is here! I feel so abused this summer with step 1. :D

yeah i am trying to study micro... not sure if you are going the kaplan or review book route... it is going to take me like 3 days to get through MMRS! i am a slow reader. i think one good thing is at least we don't have to watch lectures!

yeah i am trying to study micro... not sure if you are going the kaplan or review book route... it is going to take me like 3 days to get through MMRS! i am a slow reader. i think one good thing is at least we don't have to watch lectures!

I am a slow reader too -- I am using kaplan white books for biochem, pharm and micro.

I had to rework my schedule to give myself more time than I originally did for biochem and I/M. But no worries. Worst case scenerio, I fail :eek:

PS I dreamt of micro all last night. it was sad.

they say they can't disburse your money until you register, which is during orientation week, then about a week after you register you'll get your money by check.

it gets better in future years, since you register in May, so you get the money by the time classes start.

So here's my new dance, the "I HATE Qbank dance."

Step 1: Get up from your chair.
Step 2: Place study materials on the floor.
Step 3: Jump up and down on study materials, yelling F*&$ S@%# and A*@! until you feel better.
Step 4: Jazz Hands.

@tybault: tell me your dream involved painless chancres or MRSA. :)

So here's my new dance, the "I HATE Qbank dance."

Step 1: Get up from your chair.
Step 2: Place study materials on the floor.
Step 3: Jump up and down on study materials, yelling F*&$ S@%# and A*@! until you feel better.
Step 4: Jazz Hands.

@tybault: tell me your dream involved painless chancres or MRSA. :)

If only I had been so lucky -- it was H. ducreyi for me and painful chancroids :)

No, I actually don't remember what it was about, I just remember waking up and being mad that I didn't spend 7 hours away from studying like I had planned :thumbdown:

If only I had been so lucky -- it was H. ducreyi for me and painful chancroids :)

No, I actually don't remember what it was about, I just remember waking up and being mad that I didn't spend 7 hours away from studying like I had planned :thumbdown:

i dont want to read anymore

Do first years at all use the PDAs/Pocket PCs? Is is necessary to buy one for year 1?

When would you guys recommend buying one?

Thanks

I hear that. Who is up for quitting and becoming a bum with me? We can move up north and be happy townies!

doing nothing with my life sounds absolutely wonderful at this point....

Do first years at all use the PDAs/Pocket PCs? Is is necessary to buy one for year 1?

When would you guys recommend buying one?

Thanks

unless you want a $2-300 toy, don't buy one until they make you (2nd or 3rd year). you won't actually need one until maybe third year... but they may try and make it necessary 2nd year..

I hear that. Who is up for quitting and becoming a bum with me? We can move up north and be happy townies!

Wohoo! We could all brush up on our language skills. I haven't had the opportunity to use a good "eh" in awhile. I'm all for it how "aboot" you?

Wohoo! We could all brush up on our language skills. I haven't had the opportunity to use a good "eh" in awhile. I'm all for it how "aboot" you?

And eat some processed cheese (read: Proh-sessed)!!!

oh c'mon.. like you didn't have to take euchre-smack-down 101 as part of your requi-ments to grader-ate high schul!

I thought Euchre was a midwest thing -- not an up north thing? Everyone in my family plays it. At family reunions it's only a matter of time till someone brings out the waterballoon toss and then the 8000 round Euchre tournament. All followed by snacking on 7hour potato salad of course (staph a. gastroenteritis anyone?). *insert diarrhea emoticon here*

Mmmm preformed toxin.....

awesome. :beat: <--I just thought this was funny

tybalt (dressed in yellow) vs. USMLE (disguised as a horse)
:beat:

another rendition:
Beat_Dead_HorseSanitysBlog.jpg

this time, you see tybalt in her monkey-suit...

the unanswered question is... what suit will she wear to test day?????

tybalt (dressed in yellow) vs. USMLE (disguised as a horse)
:beat:

another rendition:
Beat_Dead_HorseSanitysBlog.jpg

this time, you see tybalt in her monkey-suit...

the unanswered question is... what suit will she wear to test day?????

No -- I think the question is: How did you know I like to wear a monkey suit?

Or perhaps I am really a monkey who likes to wear a people suit? Hmmmm? Damn. I need a banana.

No -- I think the question is: How did you know I like to wear a monkey suit?

Or perhaps I am really a monkey who likes to wear a people suit? Hmmmm? Damn. I need a banana.

:banana:

so i have to pick between which month I do my inpatient at CHM (i have outpatient at HF)... anyone know if are there any benefits to doing one before the other?

any advice regarding doing entire 4wks of inpatient or doing part of it at beaumont, hf, beverly hills, or all of it at chm?

so i have to pick between which month I do my inpatient at CHM (i have outpatient at HF)... anyone know if are there any benefits to doing one before the other?

any advice regarding doing entire 4wks of inpatient or doing part of it at beaumont, hf, beverly hills, or all of it at chm?

I can't comment on outpt at HFH.
But from experience at CHM, you have more down time during the outpt month, so many prefer to do that second to have more time to study for the shelf.

I don't recall hearing that it was possible to break up the 4 wks of inpt, but that might be something new for the upcoming year.

any of the 2's out there notice that they posted a "Final" Clin Med grade, without ever giving us any grades or anything for the practical exam. I guess I can figure out the score from the final grade and the two other exams, but how stupid is it that it's been almost 2 months since I took mine, and I've gotten nothing.

any of the 2's out there notice that they posted a "Final" Clin Med grade, without ever giving us any grades or anything for the practical exam. I guess I can figure out the score from the final grade and the two other exams, but how stupid is it that it's been almost 2 months since I took mine, and I've gotten nothing.

That means you got a zero. :eek:

I talked to Speece :thumbdown: in person and he said that they(and yes, I quote) "were having blackboard problems" and would not be posting the osce grades. If you are curious enough they are posted on the corkboards in Scott Hall, but only as part III of our final grade. So we don't really know how they converted the 170'ish list of items into an actual grade.

I talked to Speece :thumbdown: in person and he said that they(and yes, I quote) "were having blackboard problems" and would not be posting the osce grades. If you are curious enough they are posted on the corkboards in Scott Hall, but only as part III of our final grade. So we don't really know how they converted the 170'ish list of items into an actual grade.

i forgot all about checking these... sounds like they operate much like the nbme, in how step1 is graded... the 2 digit score is not a percent or percentile and the 3 digit is not a raw score... the only thing you know for sure is that the higher they are, the better...

But if they are having blackboard problems, how did they post the final pathophys grade? and final pharm grade? and final PD grade? Smells like horse poo to me.