Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone who just doesn't bloody care about Neuro, raise your hand.

*Raises both*

I sincerely hope I can shake this "I'm not going to study and you can't make me" funk before boards. However, I will be studying in new and magnificent digs, so maybe that will help.

Members don't see this ad.

*Raises both*

I sincerely hope I can shake this "I'm not going to study and you can't make me" funk before boards. However, I will be studying in new and magnificent digs, so maybe that will help.

Too tired to raise hands....just imagine them waving, enthusiastically, for about an hour! I hate morning, x that out, all day nausea. I have absolutely no energy right now, and I know that this will pass, however I actually have to study sometime.

Trust me...the digs right now, not so magnifificent - imagine baby toys, boxes, and papers.....everywhere. And all the furniture in the bedrooms smooshed together so that painting can commence. grrr....hate moving, even more, hate moving while I still have to study all the time.

Somebody, please motivate me....maybe electric shock?

*Raises both*

They keep talkin, but all I hear is:

Mana Mana
Do do de do do
Mana Mana
Do do de do do
Mana mana
do do de do do
do de do
do de do do do do do do do do

(Like that Dr. Pepper commercial from a few years back)

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:

*Raises both*

i hate feeling guilty for not studying Easter weekend... oh well.

Might as well throw in my 2cents on rotations:

Peds: Did it at CHM like pretty much everyone. In patient peds at CHM is pretty good and just about every student I know enjoyed their experience despite the Q4 call. Outpatient peds at CHM sucks because most of the time you are at this "clinic" that is complete chaos and you are pretty much just in the way. That is when you are not going to a million lectures. Bonus Tip: Read Dr. Friday's review packet it's great for the test. Immunization schedules/development will only be like 2-3 questions on the exam.

IM: Did it at Oakwood and loved it. I had more patients than most of my friends at other locations. They have a huge emphasis on teaching there, which is evidenced by their super high board passage rate for the residents. They treat you like a collegue and not a scutmokey/punching bag. Saw lost of bread and butter medicine like CHF, COPD, etc. which shows up on the test. Good hours, good residents. You name it, it was great. I'll be doing my sub-I there next year I liked it so much. I personally would stay away from DRH, as I have only heard bad things about medicine there. Bonus: MKSAP3 is awesome, will prepare you well for the exam.

Family: Horrible experience, but that was because my preceptor was very bad. I'm not sure if they even send him students anymore. Most people loved this month.

Neuro: DRH. Long hours (no call) and marginal teaching, but they let you do a ton. I learned so much on this rotation just because I had personally done the consults on just about every major neurological problem. In fact, by the end of the month I had seen just about everything in my neuro books I was reading from. Bonus: I heard that Dr. Fakouri will honor you if you honor the exam, I think this is true from my experience.

Psych: Do it at the DRH crisis center. This is the most laid back location. Very low stress and fun. Dr. Ajluni in the crisis center will let you do a lot and teach you all sorts of good stuff. Super nice attending, in fact, he won the Staff Award this past year. Also, the clinic at UPC Jefferson is just as chill. Bonus: The OSCE with Dr. Spurlock is basically your entire clinical grade. When you present the patient you interviewed to her, spend your entire 20 minutes talking. Present the patient, then immediately go into your differential dx and the DSMIV criteria for each one and why you would or would not consider it. Then talk about the treatment plans. The more you talk, the less time she will pimp you on stuff you probably don't know.

Surgery: DRH/Harper. I personally liked the month at Harper better than the previous posters. The hours are long and you only get 1 day a week off, but you see a lot of general surgery stuff. Days typically 6-5. DRH is better in regards to hours since you usually get out in the early afternoon on non-call days. Others like DRH for the trauma, but otherwise you don't see much surgery. The case volume isn't that high. Henry Ford is better in my opinion since you get your weekends off when not on call, they have a huge case volume, and you get an entire month of electives.

OB/Gyn: Ford.... only time will tell as I have this next month.

as any gonna-be-M1's received any info on financial aid? i turned in my verification sheet a month ago and haven't heard anything. any info??

as any gonna-be-M1's received any info on financial aid? i turned in my verification sheet a month ago and haven't heard anything. any info??

You are being "pre-Wayned" Don't worry you will soon get used to the idea of having all pertinent information thrown at you at the last possible minute (aka "Wayned")- and then have to make life changing decisions on it.

On a more positive note, they send out all that crap in one mass mailing sometime in May? June? can't really remember now. Anyway just be glad that you don't have to sign your - future - money away just yet...

Endocrine course directors must have been in a giving mood today....I got a whole 5 points added to my grade, yipee. I guess those points were for all of those badly written questions which were probably thrown out. Of course it looked like everything else went up, including the average....this was a course to forget, and just move.

Endocrine course directors must have been in a giving mood today....I got a whole 5 points added to my grade, yipee. I guess those points were for all of those badly written questions which were probably thrown out. Of course it looked like everything else went up, including the average....this was a course to forget, and just move.

I'm jealous, I only got 4 points...I must have really screwed up that last question.

I'm jealous, I only got 4 points...I must have really screwed up that last question.
I got 7 points - and went up almost 20 points in z-score, I'll take it

Might as well throw in my 2cents on rotations:

Peds: Did it at CHM like pretty much everyone. In patient peds at CHM is pretty good and just about every student I know enjoyed their experience despite the Q4 call. Outpatient peds at CHM sucks because most of the time you are at this "clinic" that is complete chaos and you are pretty much just in the way. That is when you are not going to a million lectures. Bonus Tip: Read Dr. Friday's review packet it's great for the test. Immunization schedules/development will only be like 2-3 questions on the exam.

IM: Did it at Oakwood and loved it. I had more patients than most of my friends at other locations. They have a huge emphasis on teaching there, which is evidenced by their super high board passage rate for the residents. They treat you like a collegue and not a scutmokey/punching bag. Saw lost of bread and butter medicine like CHF, COPD, etc. which shows up on the test. Good hours, good residents. You name it, it was great. I'll be doing my sub-I there next year I liked it so much. I personally would stay away from DRH, as I have only heard bad things about medicine there. Bonus: MKSAP3 is awesome, will prepare you well for the exam.

Family: Horrible experience, but that was because my preceptor was very bad. I'm not sure if they even send him students anymore. Most people loved this month.

Neuro: DRH. Long hours (no call) and marginal teaching, but they let you do a ton. I learned so much on this rotation just because I had personally done the consults on just about every major neurological problem. In fact, by the end of the month I had seen just about everything in my neuro books I was reading from. Bonus: I heard that Dr. Fakouri will honor you if you honor the exam, I think this is true from my experience.

Psych: Do it at the DRH crisis center. This is the most laid back location. Very low stress and fun. Dr. Ajluni in the crisis center will let you do a lot and teach you all sorts of good stuff. Super nice attending, in fact, he won the Staff Award this past year. Also, the clinic at UPC Jefferson is just as chill. Bonus: The OSCE with Dr. Spurlock is basically your entire clinical grade. When you present the patient you interviewed to her, spend your entire 20 minutes talking. Present the patient, then immediately go into your differential dx and the DSMIV criteria for each one and why you would or would not consider it. Then talk about the treatment plans. The more you talk, the less time she will pimp you on stuff you probably don't know.

Surgery: DRH/Harper. I personally liked the month at Harper better than the previous posters. The hours are long and you only get 1 day a week off, but you see a lot of general surgery stuff. Days typically 6-5. DRH is better in regards to hours since you usually get out in the early afternoon on non-call days. Others like DRH for the trauma, but otherwise you don't see much surgery. The case volume isn't that high. Henry Ford is better in my opinion since you get your weekends off when not on call, they have a huge case volume, and you get an entire month of electives.

OB/Gyn: Ford.... only time will tell as I have this next month.

thanks for the advice. it has been great to get these different perspectives...

regarding endocrine... my score went down as it always does when they finalize it :mad:

I HATE it when scores go down!

This time I was so excited b/c I got 4 or 5 points back, but my Z-score didn't change (which I guess is okay). On the renal test (I think it was that one), my score dropped like 30 points when they finalized. Jerks. :thumbdown:

Did anyone else enjoy the first hour of PD today as much as I did? Can anybody say disorganized and unplanned? :thumbdown: x2!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I HATE it when scores go down!

This time I was so excited b/c I got 4 or 5 points back, but my Z-score didn't change (which I guess is okay). On the renal test (I think it was that one), my score dropped like 30 points when they finalized. Jerks. :thumbdown:

Did anyone else enjoy the first hour of PD today as much as I did? Can anybody say disorganized and unplanned? :thumbdown: x2!!!

it was such a waste to even go in... although, the second part in the MD labs was not that bad... at least with tomorrow's burak stuff i know i will learn something...

edit: i guess i totally jinxed myself with that last comment...

it was such a waste to even go in... although, the second part in the MD labs was not that bad... at least with tomorrow's burak stuff i know i will learn something...

edit: i guess i totally jinxed myself with that last comment...

I enjoyed the 2nd hour yesterday, just not the first hour.

My time today would have been better spent studying... or watching Saved By The Bell, which is much more likely.

I enjoyed the 2nd hour yesterday, just not the first hour.

My time today would have been better spent studying... or watching Saved By The Bell, which is much more likely.

zack was much cooler when he was older than me.

zack was much cooler when he was older than me.

I pretty much have always watched the show in hopes to get a glimpse of Zack's fantabulous 1980's cell phone w/the 2 foot antenna -- Awesome!

I pretty much have always watched the show in hopes to get a glimpse of Zack's fantabulous 1980's cell phone w/the 2 foot antenna -- Awesome!

"cell phone" eh?

"cell phone" eh?

LOL! But I *did* actually mean a cell phone!
Picture: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Zack+Morris+phone
zackphone.jpg

PD practical question:

What do you guys think about the objectives that state:
Comment on Patient's comfort
Comment on Patient's general appearance
Comment on General cognitive function of patient

Are you guys going to speak like you were thinking to yourself/speaking to the grader? or are you going to speak to the patient with these objectives. What I mean is:

"Pt appears to be very uncomfortable d/t abdominal pain" vs. "I can see that you are very uncomfortable d/t your abdominal pain"

or

"Pt seems alert and aware" vs. "You seem very alert and aware"

PD practical question:

What do you guys think about the objectives that state:
Comment on Patient's comfort
Comment on Patient's general appearance
Comment on General cognitive function of patient

Are you guys going to speak like you were thinking to yourself/speaking to the grader? or are you going to speak to the patient with these objectives. What I mean is:

"Pt appears to be very uncomfortable d/t abdominal pain" vs. "I can see that you are very uncomfortable d/t your abdominal pain"

or

"Pt seems alert and aware" vs. "You seem very alert and aware"
from what i was told by a couple SPTAs, you should say that to the grader.. e.g., patient appears to be lucid and aware of surroundings. I do not really like those objectives, but I do plan to make it most obvious to the grader that I am answering those objectives when I do come to them.

Ooh, there's three points off. That and the one point I very willingly gave over for female reproductive. How the hell are you supposed to ask 10 relevant questions for a post-menopausal woman?

All in all, PD wasn't bad. I was done in about an hour.

Right on time to go attend the "endocrine bitch lunch". Best lunch all year. The consensus:
-No organization due to hands-off director.
-Classes were sorted ass-backwards (who backloads a course?)
-Questions had little to do with the notes.
-3 good teachers to 13 not-so-great ones.

I never knew that Dhar took 2 weeks unpaid leave to teach CT - no wonder it's the one unit that everyone loved and did well on.

I had my PD exam today... it was easy :) But I know of 2 things I definitely forgot (It's okay; I got over it about 2 seconds after I realized I forgot something) I'm glad to have that over with.

so 7am for hepa filter fitting??? why???

so 7am for hepa filter fitting??? why???

I'm just surprised that it's not next wednesday... at 11am!

I guess it's for next year, though I don't really know when we need a mask. But I guess it's nice that they don't want us to die or anything.

I guess it's for next year, though I don't really know when we need a mask. But I guess it's nice that they don't want us to die or anything.

yay, someone at wayne cares for us. i am going to have a terrible time making 7am. next year will be a shocker!

that fitting appointment is so that you will know what size mask to grab out of the multiple boxes of masks outside your TB patient's room. Can't have med students catching TB while on the schools insurance.

that fitting appointment is so that you will know what size mask to grab out of the multiple boxes of masks outside your TB patient's room. Can't have med students catching TB while on the schools insurance.
Well, to bad they never told us what size mask they were giving us.

Well, to bad they never told us what size mask they were giving us.

yeah, and they messed the lines up. I liked it how we got in line first then the lady decided to start from the back of the line... so it took about 1.5 hrs for us to get done.:rolleyes: at least i got a nap in today... i am in a much better mood. of course, i think this worked out in your favor?

Has anyone been able to find the answers to the md lab discussion on blackboard? Or is it that they have just not been posted?

Has anyone been able to find the answers to the md lab discussion on blackboard? Or is it that they have just not been posted?

I don't see it either -- probably won't be up until monday. But don't worry; I went to lab today and they weren't hard so I don't think it will take you too long to read them on monday when they are (probably) posted.

And there were no pictures in lab, just answers to the questions and disscussion of the cases. :)

is it just me or is the electrophysiology lecture really bad?

It definately isn't just you. I had no idea what he was talking about. My friends said they had to watch it twice, but on the second time through it made more sense. I haven't tried that for myself, though.

Hey guys! Don't forget to do the E-cases that are due monday! I did the first one, and it was a bit involved (i.e. required google and wiki to get the answers...)

is it just me or is the electrophysiology lecture really bad?

If you are referring to the EMG lecture, yes that was very bad for us last year as well. Just make sure to ask your neuro attending next year to explain it to you when you get there; it made a lot more sense to me the second time around and being taught by someone who could actually teach. Don't worry about it too much this year.

Hey guys! Don't forget to do the E-cases that are due monday! I did the first one, and it was a bit involved (i.e. required google and wiki to get the answers...)
Boy, those E-cases were fun

So who's telling their future patients that they used a completely unprofessional non-sanctioned source to do their neuro homework?

It's sad how much more complete wikipedia was on myasthenia gravis vs our notes.

I like how the 2nd case is just like case 3 from lab on friday... not that I'm complaining though :)

damn i have to still do those... and i read wikipedia regularly... it's a great resource.

how long do they take to do?
an hour or so - I needed to get more outside stuff for the first one, the second one was easier for me

damn i have to still do those... and i read wikipedia regularly... it's a great resource.

how long do they take to do?

Less than an hour... depending on how resourceful you are (yeah wiki!)

Less than an hour... depending on how resourceful you are (yeah wiki!)

completely sad when we use Wiki more than our notes to answer these questions. *whimper* Test in 2 days! Good news is that I actually feel good enough to study today. I hate feeling crappy the week before a test!

yay done with PD exam... it was easy as long as you remembered all 200 some things on the checklist.... :p

Hmmm. Well that sucked the big one. I hope I'm not actually as big of a dumb-ass as I feel after exams.

Hmmm. Well that sucked the big one. I hope I'm not actually as big of a dumb-ass as I feel after exams.

yeah, i do not think it was an easy test.. but at least it was better written than endocrine.

Don't you just like it when lecturers, like the one today, talk about the students who show up to class for lectures as being "motivated" and ready to learn. And that they are going to make great doctors. I guess since I stream, (and sometimes watch lectures not just once, but twice in the comforts of my home, and in pajamas, and at times pausing the replay to let what i'm hearing soak in), I'm therefore not motivated enough, and probably won't become a good doctor. Hmn.

Don't you just like it when lecturers, like the one today, talk about the students who show up to class for lectures as being "motivated" and ready to learn. And that they are going to make great doctors. I guess since I stream, (and sometimes watch lectures not just once, but twice in the comforts of my home, and in pajamas, and at times pausing the replay to let what i'm hearing soak in), I'm therefore not motivated enough, and probably won't become a good doctor. Hmn.

yeah, u just have to ignore these people... .they are stuck in the past. There are A LOT of advantages to streaming, providing you are motivated to keep up with the lectures. As a physician you have to be an independent lifelong learning. Streaming and learning from home is great practice for this. You won't always get lectures as a physician... but to each their own.

Is blackboard down for anyone else? This is what I get for actually trying to stay on top of ****.