Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah, i was kind of worried about not learning enough about surgery at oakwood/va... even though i am pretty sure this is not what i want to do. do you know someone that has done surgery at oakwood/VA then??

I have heard that the VA month is harder than the Oakwood one, but it is a lot of "old man" surgeries. The Oakwood month I think you make of it what you want because you can sign up for whatever surgeries you want to see. Not sure on requirements about how many, but it seems like you can do anything from zip-tons per day.

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to the internal medicine director at Oakwood (he did my PD course) and he could not say enough good things about the surgery program. I think he said "Amazing" no less than 5 times.

Evidently the lectures are just well, amazing. :) And then you see as many surgeries as you want, and then still have enough time to study on your own.

I talked to the internal medicine director at Oakwood (he did my PD course) and he could not say enough good things about the surgery program. I think he said "Amazing" no less than 5 times.

Evidently the lectures are just well, amazing. :) And then you see as many surgeries as you want, and then still have enough time to study on your own.

I guess that supports my "harder is not necessarily better" theory... but I suppose I'll see in nov/dec :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I've always wondered: What do medical schools do with students who faint during surgery and things like that? (I'm not asking b/c I faint; I don't... at least not that I know of). It seems like plenty of people will have not witnessed the joys of surgery prior to coming to school so that it might happen from time to time. Hmm. Hypnosis? Pass them as long as they pass the shelf? Laugh at them as they leave school with their 100k debt and no degree? Begin a hospital pool on how long it takes said person to faint during each surgery they scrub in for? (I vote for the later)

So, I've always wondered: What do medical schools do with students who faint during surgery and things like that? (I'm not asking b/c I faint; I don't... at least not that I know of). It seems like plenty of people will have not witnessed the joys of surgery prior to coming to school so that it might happen from time to time. Hmm. Hypnosis? Pass them as long as they pass the shelf? Laugh at them as they leave school with their 100k debt and no degree? Begin a hospital pool on how long it takes said person to faint during each surgery they scrub in for? (I vote for the later)

haha... my anatomy partner in undergrad was horrible! for one of the labs we dissected a turtle and played with its heart. his face literally turned green when i cracked the turtle open. He is in optometry school now though. It could be possible that there is some self-selection that goes on... afterall, i don't think anyone fainted in anatomy lab? obviously, there will be more blood in a surgery...

perhaps they loads these students up with scopolamine and/or a little bit of fentanyl before the surgeries???:laugh:

that is good to hear.. i have actually heard a fair amount of good about oakwood programs...

There are already so many stories of what happens to med students in surgery that no matter what happens to you, it isn't the first time. There was even a story of a student that passed out or fell asleep during a surgery and fell into the surgical field. If you feel faint, you have two options: find a stool somewhere in the OR and sit down until you feel better or leave the room and come back in a few minutes. It takes a little time to build up a surgical standing stamina. Just remember that whatever happens, you are not the first, and you will certainly not be the last.

There are already so many stories of what happens to med students in surgery that no matter what happens to you, it isn't the first time. There was even a story of a student that passed out or fell asleep during a surgery and fell into the surgical field. If you feel faint, you have two options: find a stool somewhere in the OR and sit down until you feel better or leave the room and come back in a few minutes. It takes a little time to build up a surgical standing stamina. Just remember that whatever happens, you are not the first, and you will certainly not be the last.

So no pools? Bummer.

Don't forget, group A! Evaluations are do.

Ohhhh, testing services. You amuse me.

so here's a question or 2 for current students.

1. are you planning on staying in Michigan after your graduate? For me, the economy is bad enough and I have the added incentive to move south now that my family is leaving the state in the fall. Just wondering what the opinions are there.

2. Also, if you were to stay in state, what apprehensions do you have about matching to residencies at DMC. Despite the **** getting rather close to the fan this winter the match list is still full of people there. Do you think this has anyway put you at a disadvantage?

1. are you planning on staying in Michigan after your graduate? For me, the economy is bad enough and I have the added incentive to move south now that my family is leaving the state in the fall. Just wondering what the opinions are there.

2. Also, if you were to stay in state, what apprehensions do you have about matching to residencies at DMC. Despite the **** getting rather close to the fan this winter the match list is still full of people there. Do you think this has anyway put you at a disadvantage?

1. I have lived in MI my whole life and I hope never to leave. I really love it here. And I suppose the economy has had an opposite effect on my view pointe: I feel like the current state of our economy is an incentive to stay and help the state.

2. I don't match for another 2 years and I still plan to try to match at a detroit residency -- It could just be nievity talking, but I feel like if it happens that a residency program is trashed during the time I am there that other programs will be able to take more students in... but I could be wrong. I don't want to add to the tension by not applying to a residency I want.

1. i hope to stay in MI because most of my family is here.
2. i am not sure what i am interetested in yet, so not sure if the DMC will offer it.. with the way that duggan has been acting (like a total ass), i am not sure if i would want to work there?? but, i think i am going to hold off making these decisions until i am a 4th year. only time will tell...

so does anyone know what exactly this integrative exam is on (besides these few lectures)??? everything? what are you all using to study for this?

Members don't see this ad :)
so does anyone know what exactly this integrative exam is on (besides these few lectures)??? everything? what are you all using to study for this?

I have absolutely no idea and would also appreciate some input from 3rd years as well as some more knowledgable 2nd years :)

I just got information from a third year that the path/pharm test is "not bad" and that the notes are enough. However, they said that the "PD exam sucked donkey ballz" (well, kind of -- they said PD was hard and I used my creative license to make the quote more impressive)

I just got information from a third year that the path/pharm test is "not bad" and that the notes are enough. However, they said that the "PD exam sucked donkey ballz" (well, kind of -- they said PD was hard and I used my creative license to make the quote more impressive)

haha... thanks for the update. i guess maybe i should crack bates... get some use out of it since i bought it.

For the PD written, you will need to know all of the heart murmurs and cardiac pathology that goes along with them or you will fail/score a 300 Z-score. Not trying to scare you, but there were a lot of murmur questions.

Don't sweat the integrative unit exam too much. Just study the notes and remember what Dr. Levine was talking about during lecture and you will finish in no time and without thinking too much.

so bates is like 500 pages of reading.... i am thinking about skimming it and memorizing the "important stuff".... any ideas?

Study the PD review sheet that came in the year 2 review CD.

Anybody got that?

Anybody got that?

I have them, but they are too big for SDN to post (2 files at 5.7 and 4.1MB) since the limit is 300KB (so small!!!). I know this goes against "anonymous blog rules", but I can email them to whoever wants them if you PM me your email.

was there a lecture on the "Step-by-step approach to solving problems in the drug interactions case studies" or was this meant to go along with the pharm case studies?

will there be questions on the exam regarding the terrorism lecture??

I got them now from a friend. PM me your email Fun8 if you didn't already get them from Tybalt. Thanks guys!

was there a lecture on the "Step-by-step approach to solving problems in the drug interactions case studies" or was this meant to go along with the pharm case studies?

will there be questions on the exam regarding the terrorism lecture??

I think it was just meant to go along; no other lecture as far as I know

I don't know how all the terrorism question on the exam thing got started, but I can't imagine it's any different than before where we just have a few quizzes that are mandatory online

Does anyone know if we are supposed to memorize the tables in Schoener's notes? (1-3) or what about the appendices (specifically 2 and 4)

Does anyone know if we are supposed to memorize the tables in Schoener's notes? (1-3) or what about the appendices (specifically 2 and 4)

he didnt mention anything, but i would bet we would have to know table 1. also we probably should know the general manifestations of abstinence syndrome for opiates (table 3)... although not sure if he expects us to differentiate between the different drugs... and i'm not memorizing appendices 2 and 5... in general, i do not think profs test out of appendices... (Except like 3 which reinforce what is already in the notes)... but these just my guesses since he was pretty aloof in lecture.

I think he might say pile of **** was amazing if someone at Oakwood laid it.

I'm not faulting him, he's awesome, I'm just sayin'.

i am falling asleep trying to study this PD stuff :sleep:

I have zero motiviation to study anything. I don't know how I'm going to get my act together for mon/wed... let alone for step 1. Boo.

you are evil.... and I had a hard time with "bouncy castle" grrrrr..... I can feel myself getting dumber....

so to tell how hard it's been to decide between Wayne and jefferson, I've actually read thru all of this thread in the past few days... both part 1 and 2.

...anyone want to convince me one way or another?

so to tell how hard it's been to decide between Wayne and jefferson, I've actually read thru all of this thread in the past few days... both part 1 and 2.

...anyone want to convince me one way or another?

decide based on tuition. if you are a michigan resident, why go to jefferson and pay high out of state costs? both schools have large class sizes... i guess the big thing with wayne is that (as of right now- this may change) it is the only med school in detroit, where as (i believe) jefferson is in philly(?) and shares the city with other schools?? wayne and jefferson are probably pretty equivalent (other than wayne is probably better for clinical training?) though... so i would pick based on tuition, then clinical training, then distance from family (if this is important to you).

so i am missing something or is question 5 from the drug lecture wrong? the question asks which drug fro the DAWN study has the highest rates of medical problems.. answer key says opiates/heroin.... i thought the answer was cocaine and crack...:confused:

so i am missing something or is question 5 from the drug lecture wrong? the question asks which drug fro the DAWN study has the highest rates of medical problems.. answer key says opiates/heroin.... i thought the answer was cocaine and crack...:confused:
I thought the same thing - it's right on page 22 - Cocaine.

Also - omg, listening to Dr. Levine on 2x is insane, holy crap she talks fast

Also - omg, listening to Dr. Levine on 2x is insane, holy crap she talks fast

Put this away for next year: in the hospitals, caffeine is king. It will keep you awake and at the same time allow you to talk insanely fast through an H&P while you have the attending's attention. Some attendings are patient and want you to go into detail, but others have a short attention span of anywhere from 3-30 seconds, particularly the surgeons (Diebel-3sec, L&L-30sec).

Note Dr. Levine hardly ever talks without a huge cup of coffee in her hand.

What percent do shelf exams count toward grades for 3rd year clerkships? Are these exams about the same/more/less difficulty when compared with 2nd year exams?

Shelf exams count for 50% with the other 50% being from your evaluations. In order to honor a clerkship, you have to honor both the shelf and clinically. The score to honor a shelf varies with how everyone else did. Wayne also has a Satisfactory+ grade which denotes that you've honored either the shelf or your clinical exams.

I felt that the shelf exams were actually easier than the 1st and 2nd year exams because the questions are written by physicians about clinically relevant material rather than mindless regurgitation of irrelevant drivel written by (usually) scientists.

I felt that the shelf exams were actually easier than the 1st and 2nd year exams because the questions are written by physicians about clinically relevant material rather than mindless regurgitation of irrelevant drivel written by (usually) scientists.

True, but you need to remember that there is no easy shelf exam, and believe me, you don't want to fail these. You'll either have to repeat the exam during your elective month or repeat the entire clerkship. And, you can't start 4th year until your Y3 rotations are done.

But that's all for later. Good luck on Step 1. Study hard and you'll make it.

So on a scale of one to screwed, what's everyone else's perception of what's going on with the DMC right now?

I just sent off a fax to one of the councilwomen, so I can say I at least did *something*

PS. Thanks Dr. Levine, for the free 6 points on path!

So on a scale of one to screwed, what's everyone else's perception of what's going on with the DMC right now?

I just sent off a fax to one of the councilwomen, so I can say I at least did *something*

i sent a couple faxes too. we'll see what happens...i'm not sure why they would pick detroit over macomb.

how long is everyone studying boards?? i am starting monday and then taking a week off before 3rd year starts.

I start with half-days on thursday. I'm moving on the 15th, and figured reading up on year I subjects would be a good warm-up. I'm going to need breaks from packing.

I've decided to boycott the Kaplan diagnostic b/c I don't need them to tell me I should study a whole lot of everything (which is the case). And plus, I want my entire first day off, damn it!

I am starting studying on monday and going 6 full days per week with most saturdays off to spend with my dude.

I take the exam on the 23rd of June (a saturday).

FUN8 -- you are no longer located on the Streetz? I'm still at your mom's!

I've decided to boycott the Kaplan diagnostic b/c I don't need them to tell me I should study a whole lot of everything (which is the case). And plus, I want my entire first day off, damn it!

I am starting studying on monday and going 6 full days per week with most saturdays off to spend with my dude.

I take the exam on the 23rd of June (a saturday).

yeah, i decided to boycott that too... i'm boycotting kaplan in general.. well except for the qbank. i already know i know practically nothing... i don't need them to tell me i suck :p
my schedule is pretty much the same... i can't wait to get this done with so i can go on vacation for week afterwards!

FUN8 -- you are no longer located on the Streetz? I'm still at your mom's!

yeah, my wife like totally got a job and is going to support my ass for these next 2 years. i sure pulled a fast one on her, didnt i! :eek: so we are moving off "the streetz" and into a high-rise downtown.. no more of this driving 30-60+mins to get to school. i am having a hard time getting rid of our cardboard box though... i am sentimental like that...

yeah, my wife like totally got a job and is going to support my ass for these next 2 years. i sure pulled a fast one on her, didnt i! :eek: so we are moving off "the streetz" and into a high-rise downtown.. no more of this driving 30-60+mins to get to school. i am having a hard time getting rid of our cardboard box... i am sentimental like that...

*laughing for the first time all day*

You are lucky; I am moving out of Belleville, but I am not really going to be any closer to anywhere besides Beaumont/Providence (though half of my 3rd year is at these 2 hospitals so this is okay). My beau can't bear to be any further from Ann Arbor, so I'm stuck w/30-40 minutes to school. For one day earlier this year he said maybe he would be up to moving further east, and I was so excited... but then he "forgot" he said it... so no dice.

Here's to hoping my car can make it for another 35,000 miles before puttering out...

is this the same old Duggan screwing the residencies **** or the MSU moving in, or something different?