Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*laughing for the first time all day*

You are lucky; I am moving out of Belleville, but I am not really going to be any closer to anywhere besides Beaumont/Providence (though half of my 3rd year is at these 2 hospitals so this is okay). My beau can't bear to be any further from Ann Arbor, so I'm stuck w/30-40 minutes to school. For one day earlier this year he said maybe he would be up to moving further east, and I was so excited... but then he "forgot" he said it... so no dice.

Here's to hoping my car can make it for another 35,000 miles before puttering out...
ah, yes... the old "forget" trick... i have a habit of "forgetting" to put my bowls in the dishwasher and "forgetting" to take the trash out.

Members don't see this ad.

is this the same old Duggan screwing the residencies **** or the MSU moving in, or something different?

i believe she is referring to Duggan trying to wine and dine MSUCOM into moving into hutzel. i sent my faxes and made some phonecalls. i don't know why they would choose hutzel... we don't want them here, macomb has osteopathic hospitals and is offering them more money and they could be on a single campus. i would like to think they will choose macomb...

ah, yes... the old "forget" trick... i have a habit of "forgetting" to put my bowls in the dishwasher and "forgetting" to take the trash out.

I play that trick on exams! It's so amazingly funny too :p

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i decided to boycott that too... i'm boycotting kaplan in general.. well except for the qbank. i already know i know practically nothing... i don't need them to tell me i suck :p
my schedule is pretty much the same... i can't wait to get this done with so i can go on vacation for week afterwards!
I think I'm boycotting that too - It seems like it might be a big push to sell us stuff, why else would they offer this "service"?

I think I'm boycotting that too - It seems like it might be a big push to sell us stuff, why else would they offer this "service"?

i know for a fact that kaplan's mcat diagnostic was made harder than the real thing to freak you out into signing up for one of their courses... so this would only make sense.

i know for a fact that kaplan's mcat diagnostic was made harder than the real thing to freak you out into signing up for one of their courses... so this would only make sense.

Yeah... this is probably the case. Why are the lecture series by Kaplan sooooo much more expensive for USMLE than MCAT? I thought the MCAT one was expensive, but on the edge of reasonable since it was like taking another few credits at school. But nearly $6000 for 6 weeks of step 1 lectures? I guess a lot of people come from affluent doctor families, but I certainly don't:thumbdown:

Yeah... this is probably the case. Why are the lecture series by Kaplan sooooo much more expensive for USMLE than MCAT? I thought the MCAT one was expensive, but on the edge of reasonable since it was like taking another few credits at school. But nearly $6000 for 6 weeks of step 1 lectures? I guess a lot of people come from affluent doctor families, but I certainly don't:thumbdown:

yeah, ha, that is ridiculous! i couldn't afford the mcat one!

So on a scale of one to screwed, what's everyone else's perception of what's going on with the DMC right now?

I just sent off a fax to one of the councilwomen, so I can say I at least did *something*

PS. Thanks Dr. Levine, for the free 6 points on path!

Which path exam was this?

Damn. I just hope we don't lose our clinical skills center.

Drtt: I was referring to those 6 happy little "integrative" questions. Damn, it's good to have a nice, solid "pass" locked up for pathology.

I'll do the "I passed path" dance to celebrate. It involves lots of booty-shaking and jazz hands. :)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070508/SCHOOLS/705080370

Looks like a done deal... will this really hurt to have 50 DO students on campus? :confused:

Nothing is over until I see the students move in with my own eyes! The DMC and Wayne have been squabbling over many issues in the past and amazingly enough when the students and residents get involved it tends to jump the media into action and actually get some of the physicians involved to keep the training top notch.

The fact that the students and our ranking Deans of the medical school have one voice on this matter can only make our position stronger, and hopefully we will win this one.

What they don't say in the article is that it is not just 50 students total...that is just for the first year. Eventually they would be increasing the number. The fact that Duggan (the "not-a-doctor") says that only DMC not WSU faculty would be teaching them is a pretty much crazy statement. There are still only so many patients to go around and we have maxed out the hospitals as it is...in fact we have increased our class sizes to be able to take advantage of the full hospital potential in accordance with the remedies to the future MI physician shortage.

First it was either Macomb or the DMC...now it is split between the two. If we students keep fast to our beliefs in this matter, and keep making our voices hears, I have no doubt that eventually MSU will just end up in Macomb.

Members don't see this ad :)

It is harder, yes. I took my first diagnostic for the MCAT on my first week of the course, and my scored sucked (24?, I think), which, as it is intended to, lit a fire under my arse to get it together before the exam. I was very happy with my score in the end. In that way, people do better then expected, and tell all their associates about how they, being Kaplan, helped them so much. But was it made harder specifically to trick you into signing up? Hmm.... Possibly, maybe a little, but doubtful that is the main reason. If the exam were easier, it wouldn't be much help in preparing you now, would it??

In reality, most all the test prep companies have good offerings. The variable is 1) Of you do anything live, in the sense of lectures, then the teachers vary in ability, and 2), much more importantly, how much you put into it all, both before and during your prep for the exam.

It is harder, yes. I took my first diagnostic for the MCAT on my first week of the course, and my scored sucked (24?, I think), which, as it is intended to, lit a fire under my arse to get it together before the exam. I was very happy with my score in the end. In that way, people do better then expected, and tell all their associates about how they, being Kaplan, helped them so much. But was it made harder specifically to trick you into signing up? Hmm.... Possibly, maybe a little, but doubtful that is the main reason. If the exam were easier, it wouldn't be much help in preparing you now, would it??

In reality, most all the test prep companies have good offerings. The variable is 1) Of you do anything live, in the sense of lectures, then the teachers vary in ability, and 2), much more importantly, how much you put into it all, both before and during your prep for the exam.

yeah well, i have had a thing against kaplan for awhile anyways... mostly due to the high prices they charge and the people at my undergrad class that took the course never faired that well on the real deal...

Boo standardized tests that at least partially determine the rest of your life. Hooray Beer!

(I'm glad I can always contribute something intellectual to the conversations)

Boo standardized tests that at least partially determine the rest of your life. Hooray Beer!

you drink beer? beer is great.. but i just didnt peg you as a beer drinker ;) i always thought those were my mom's empties... perhaps my mom is telling the truth. maybe they really are ALL yours!

you drink beer? beer is great.. but i just didnt peg you as a beer drinker ;) i always thought those were my mom's empties... perhaps my mom is telling the truth. maybe they really are ALL yours!

There is not much that I won't eat or drink.

yeah well, i have had a thing against kaplan for awhile anyways... mostly due to the high prices they charge and the people at my undergrad class that took the course never faired that well on the real deal...

All is possible. But variables still exist, such as how much time outside the course did they spend studying, etc. My friend is in it now, and told me about 1/2 the class is expecting to get in b/c their mommy/daddy/uncle is a doctor, or knows somebody on admissions, or in one case, one girl openly brags her father is on admissions. They sit around and talk in class and don't study outside of it, since they so obviously are only going to need a minimal score to get in. It was the same for my class. Most of those types got lower scores, or got in at places like Way :eek:....I mean, had to hope their family connections got them in, which for some, does. :p <joking on the Way... part at least.>

The lowest score I personally knew of getting accepted was a 21, a full SD below the nat'l avg, nearly 3 SD's below nat'l matriculation.. I have heard of lower ones too.... :eek: :scared:

In the end, it is a number, and doesn't mean somebody is going to be a good or bad doctor. It only changes the name of the school on the degree. Boards are the same, save they affect what you will be doing the rest of your life, and where, and...... :p

All is possible. But variables still exist, such as how much time outside the course did they spend studying, etc. My friend is in it now, and told me about 1/2 the class is expecting to get in b/c their mommy/daddy/uncle is a doctor, or knows somebody on admissions, or in one case, one girl openly brags her father is on admissions. They sit around and talk in class and don't study outside of it, since they so obviously are only going to need a minimal score to get in. It was the same for my class. Most of those types got lower scores, or got in at places like Way :eek:....I mean, had to hope their family connections got them in, which for some, does. :p <joking on the Way... part at least.>

The lowest score I personally knew of getting accepted was a 21, a full SD below the nat'l avg, nearly 3 SD's below nat'l matriculation.. I have heard of lower ones too.... :eek: :scared:

In the end, it is a number, and doesn't mean somebody is going to be a good or bad doctor. It only changes the name of the school on the degree. Boards are the same, save they affect what you will be doing the rest of your life, and where, and...... :p
the person is def the most important factor!

So did anyone else think that studying for the PD exam was a huge waste of time - I felt like the answers that I knew on that exam came from pathophys exams gone by, not from the studying I did.

So on a scale of one to screwed, what's everyone else's perception of what's going on with the DMC right now?

I just sent off a fax to one of the councilwomen, so I can say I at least did *something*

According to my breakdown of the situation, we are exactly five steps away from being totally screwed.

5 steps away: current situation
4 steps away: Detroit City Council ignores our petition and OKs MSU to come here.
3 steps away: MSU trustees go forward anyway with moving here, despite everything we are telling them.
2 steps away: MSU begins moving in and taking away our spots, and our clinical training gets worse each year.
1 step away: Duggan uses the Karmanos empty space (I doubt he can stop Karmonos from moving away since they already split in everything but building) to house an expanded MSU program. MSU now has as many students in the hospitals as we do now.
Screwed: Duggan ignores the new unsigned contract between WSU and DMC and kicks us all out.

Anyone hear about the city council's vote (today)? Nothing yet on the Free Press website (www.freep.com) or Detroit News website (www.detnews.com). Sorry first and second years, and everyone that follows, we did what we could

According to my breakdown of the situation, we are exactly five steps away from being totally screwed.

5 steps away: current situation
4 steps away: Detroit City Council ignores our petition and OKs MSU to come here.
3 steps away: MSU trustees go forward anyway with moving here, despite everything we are telling them.
2 steps away: MSU begins moving in and taking away our spots, and our clinical training gets worse each year.
1 step away: Duggan uses the Karmanos empty space (I doubt he can stop Karmonos from moving away since they already split in everything but building) to house an expanded MSU program. MSU now has as many students in the hospitals as we do now.
Screwed: Duggan ignores the new unsigned contract between WSU and DMC and kicks us all out.

Anyone hear about the city council's vote (today)? Nothing yet on the Free Press website (www.freep.com) or Detroit News website (www.detnews.com). Sorry first and second years, and everyone that follows, we did what we could

heard something about a vote at the end of the month... so no immediate information to give.

I second that. Except mine is Hooray Scotch! Uncorking a 10 year single malt is the only way to finish off 2nd year.

scotch2.jpg

Acute pancreatitis with a small cell chaser.

I second that. Except mine is Hooray Scotch! Uncorking a 10 year single malt is the only way to finish off 2nd year.

scotch2.jpg

Acute pancreatitis with a small cell chaser.

I also have a passionate love for tequila. If I could drink a 22 w/o getting sloshed, I would... but I don't want to die, so I don't. :)

Arrrgh! Someone stole my credit card number and tried to purchase an $1100 purse (or whatever) from Coach.com!

Jerks. At least the credit card company was "smart" and denied the charge since I don't purchase $1000 purses... Now I am getting a new card. But I have to say, I feel pretty violated.

Arrrgh! Someone stole my credit card number and tried to purchase an $1100 purse (or whatever) from Coach.com!

Jerks. At least the credit card company was "smart" and denied the charge since I don't purchase $1000 purses... Now I am getting a new card. But I have to say, I feel pretty violated.

Ouch. Any idea how they got the number?

A cute redhead with a taste for scotch?

Jeez, where's my acceptance already?

Ouch. Any idea how they got the number?

I have no idea -- I use that card as my primary form of paying for things, so it could have been anywhere. I like to buy things online whenever I can (you know, so I can avoid actually having to interact with people), so the info could have been intercepted... or it could have been our angry waitress... hmmm. All I know is I'm glad I don't have to pay for some hoochie's $1100 purse.

Boo on people.

man that really sucks. i am always afraid of this... a couple nights ago we all went out to eat... great food, but shady people. the waitress had my card for like 10 mins...

I have no idea -- I use that card as my primary form of paying for things, so it could have been anywhere. I like to buy things online whenever I can (you know, so I can avoid actually having to interact with people), so the info could have been intercepted... or it could have been our angry waitress... hmmm. All I know is I'm glad I don't have to pay for some hoochie's $1100 purse.

Boo on people.

Yeah. I doubt the security breach happened online. Although now they have fake numbers you can use to prevent theft of your numbers. I would assume that the cc numbers were used online for that purse since all they had were the numbers. Good thing you caught it.

Tybalt - a quick look at coach (I was morbidly curious) makes me think that you nearly footed the bill for not one, but two hoochie purses. ...But for 1100 dollars I think you should be able to hire someone to carry around your crap for you.

And sadly, back to school. I actually took the plunge and started my study schedule on thursday, with two short chapters (basic path and basic pharm) - but I can't get my brain to switch over to a board-study mode. I keep keying in on the stupid little details (liquefactive necrosis is due to HYDROLYTIC enzymes) that we were tested on so often this year, when I can probably get away with stuff like Caseous necrosis = TB.

Any similar experiences/advice?

Tybalt - a quick look at coach (I was morbidly curious) makes me think that you nearly footed the bill for not one, but two hoochie purses. ...But for 1100 dollars I think you should be able to hire someone to carry around your crap for you.

And sadly, back to school. I actually took the plunge and started my study schedule on thursday, with two short chapters (basic path and basic pharm) - but I can't get my brain to switch over to a board-study mode. I keep keying in on the stupid little details (liquefactive necrosis is due to HYDROLYTIC enzymes) that we were tested on so often this year, when I can probably get away with stuff like Caseous necrosis = TB.

Any similar experiences/advice?
it's about how much you remember, NOT how much detail you read! :thumbup:

so anyone know if the PD physical exam grade will be posted to blackboard or if we have to go somewhere in scott hall to get that grad.e..??

Congrats to all you second years who are done with classroom studying!!! No more Scott hall for you! Good luck studying for Step 1.

I can't wait until this torture of year 3 is over. Only 4 1/2 weeks to go and counting...

Hey, we're looking forward to that torture!

It's better than cramming Kaplan books. :)

PS. Come on board studiers, we need to waste more time on this thread. I'm only up to biochem, someone has to slack with me.

Hey, we're looking forward to that torture!

It's better than cramming Kaplan books. :)

PS. Come on board studiers, we need to waste more time on this thread. I'm only up to biochem, someone has to slack with me.

Yeah...I knew you weren't studying yet this morning!!! I'm biochem-ing too...yuck! I forgot how much I hated this subject. As you well know I have been slacking for the past week...even though I did put in some hours yesterday.

It is just so hard to get back into the groove...add to that, Elise has decided to be the most vocal baby ever the past couple of days. Just too cute! She sings along with her toys and claps her hands and babbles all day long. I'm going to have to start putting on headphones or escaping to a library somewhere.

yeah i am finishing up biochem today... it is taking me too long to get through this. going to finish today with molecular biology and then tomorrow start general pharm and micro drugs! ugh! how am i suppose to read MMRS in 2 days?!

i just remembered that Cholera causes metabolic acidosis because base goes out the butt - thanks inked, it's in there forever now :)

I feel like I need 8 or 9 weeks to study plus a 2 week mandatory vacation at the end. Blech.

So when did you guys get out of school and when did you schedule your Step 1 ? Think you'll have enough time?

So when did you guys get out of school and when did you schedule your Step 1 ? Think you'll have enough time?
we took our last exam 5/9 - and I'm taking Step 1 on 6/21. I took from 5/9 to 5/14 completely off, I'll study for about 30 days, take 4 or 5 off, and review for a couple. I hope that's enough, ask me again in about 2 months.

I attempted to start studying on the 10th - I got through basic path and basic pharm before I realized hey, I have an apartment to move.

So now just about everything is clean and set up, and I'm getting ready to move on to immuno/micro. bleh.

And yes, bases will always go out the butt. :)

"Wayne State University, the DMC's longtime medical teaching partner, has been adamantly protesting an MSU expansion to Detroit, a move they argue threatens the existence of Wayne State's School of Medicine because it will displace its students.

But MSU leaders have called Wayne State's fears unwarranted. MSU students would have separate faculty, classrooms, facilities and clinical training programs from Wayne State students, MSU says."

Uh huh...

Looks like we are now three steps away from being screwed (see previous post).

There has to be something sinister at work here, like a lot of money changing hands in political kickbacks. We petition the city council to oppose the move and they listen; then we petition MSU to not come here and over 600 sign it; the Michigan State Medical Society and whoever else it was wanted to take some time to evaluate the impact it would have; some MSU trustees are starting to listen and express doubt (only McNamara and one other wanted to keep the vote today); the pressure from the media gets UM involved and they show signs of siding with us; then MSU votes today and it passes unanymously. Throughout the last couple weeks, Duggan was completely silent on the issue; and he is never silent about anything. McNamara brushes off our petition as if we have no idea what we are talking about, insinuating that our administration easily convinced us to start all this when in truth all of this was started by the student body.

This makes no logical sense at all. And if something doesn't make logical sense, you can bet that there was a ton of money changing hands in the last few days to buy the remaining trustees that at least wanted to take more time to consider. Let's see: we have Duggan hiding behind the scenes, trustee McNamara (Wayne County Mr. Everything McNamara's daughter) touting that we would not be affected at all and don't know what we're talking about, an unsigned contract between our faculty and DMC, and a sudden change of heart by many of the MSU trustees to go ahead with the vote today and all vote yes. The answer is the McNamara political machine and its special interest groups with all the money buying the vote.

Our next step should be the ACGME. They only reaccredited the DMC residency programs with provisions and an upcoming audit. If we can get them to put enough pressure on the DMC, they may be able to force Duggan's resignation if they threaten to revoke accredidation should he refuse to step down. That's a lot of hard power going into play, but unfortunately that is all Duggan understands.

Looks like we are now three steps away from being screwed (see previous post).

There has to be something sinister at work here, like a lot of money changing hands in political kickbacks. We petition the city council to oppose the move and they listen; then we petition MSU to not come here and over 600 sign it; the Michigan State Medical Society and whoever else it was wanted to take some time to evaluate the impact it would have; some MSU trustees are starting to listen and express doubt (only McNamara and one other wanted to keep the vote today); the pressure from the media gets UM involved and they show signs of siding with us; then MSU votes today and it passes unanymously. Throughout the last couple weeks, Duggan was completely silent on the issue; and he is never silent about anything. McNamara brushes off our petition as if we have no idea what we are talking about, insinuating that our administration easily convinced us to start all this when in truth all of this was started by the student body.

This makes no logical sense at all. And if something doesn't make logical sense, you can bet that there was a ton of money changing hands in the last few days to buy the remaining trustees that at least wanted to take more time to consider. Let's see: we have Duggan hiding behind the scenes, trustee McNamara (Wayne County Mr. Everything McNamara's daughter) touting that we would not be affected at all and don't know what we're talking about, an unsigned contract between our faculty and DMC, and a sudden change of heart by many of the MSU trustees to go ahead with the vote today and all vote yes. The answer is the McNamara political machine and its special interest groups with all the money buying the vote.

Our next step should be the ACGME. They only reaccredited the DMC residency programs with provisions and an upcoming audit. If we can get them to put enough pressure on the DMC, they may be able to force Duggan's resignation if they threaten to revoke accredidation should he refuse to step down. That's a lot of hard power going into play, but unfortunately that is all Duggan understands.
Don't you think that this is just a powerplay by Duggan - to get MSU in there, they'll agree to whatever he wants because they're eager to get in someplace. Then over time Duggan can crowd Wayne out, and he wins which is all he's really interested in. He's just using MSU.