Wayne State University PharmD 2010-2011 Application Cycle (For fall 2011)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepharmd4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find an existing thread for 2010-2011 applicants of Wayne State's College of Pharmacy so here's a new one! Does anyone out there have an idea as to when Wayne will begin the interviewing process for those students applying for fall 2011 admission? I know the PharmCAS application isn't due until 12/1, but I sure hope we don't have to wait until then just for them to start reviewing apps. :laugh:

Who has submitted their applications? Heard anything?

Anyone applying to Wayne's PharmD program for admission fall 2011 feel free to chime in. Let's get it started!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am applying for this cycle too. Nice to meet everyone. Pharmcas sent out my app today and around noon I received an email from WSU confirmed that the school got my app.

The email stated the school would start interview early Jan till the end of Feb.

Thanks for sharing the info! I'm still waiting for PharmCAS to send out my application. Best of luck to you! Don't forget to share with all of us when you get your interview invitation letter :D. Are you applying to other schools besides Wayne? Wayne State is definitely my first choice but I'm applying to Butler, Campbell, Mercer, and Regis.

Are you a student at Wayne State right now?

P.S....When did you e-submit your PharmCAS app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am studying at WSU now. I e-submit on 9/10 and it took Pharmcas 2 weeks to calculate my GPA. Then, it was one more week for Pharmcas to send out my app to pharmacy schools (10/4)

I do apply to other schools and I love all of them, but WSU is still my top choice. If I have any news I will post it. Best wishes to you and everyone.

When you guys took your PCAT. Did you already have Organic chemistry 2 completed? The way my schedule is i wont hav it completed by my deadline. I was wondering the severity of not having this completed before taking the PCAT. Thanks

Hi, cwbwk91. Speaking for myself, when I took my PCAT this August I did not have Organic Chem II completed yet. I don't think it was that big of a deal, as the actual content that is selected for the exam is kind of a crap shoot! It could have been a major problem, had the bulk of the chemistry section focused on organic concepts, but luckily for me, it didn't. Best of luck to you!

Anyone here get an interview invitation today?

I received an interview invite for dec. 9th today.

Count me in, too! I am so excited!! :D Congrats early birds! I think this is pretty early to hear something back from them. One of my contacts (a P-1 @ WSU) said he didn't get an invite until mid-February and didn't know he was accepted until the beginning of March.

I received an interview invite as well. scpptcc if i'm not mistaken you got into U of M. Are you still going to the interview at WSU? Also does anyone know what the chance of getting accepted after an interview invite. How many people do they interview and how many do they accept?

Also does anyone know what the chance of getting accepted after an interview invite. How many people do they interview and how many do they accept?

From WSU's PharmCAS page it looks like they interviewed 150 candidates for the fall 2010 entering class and 90 candidates were accepted. Those are pretty darn good odds I'd say, especially since some of those candidates they interviewed probably didn't accept their offer.

I just confirmed with Tamra....I'll be there 12/9!

I received an interview invite as well. scpptcc if i'm not mistaken you got into U of M. Are you still going to the interview at WSU? Also does anyone know what the chance of getting accepted after an interview invite. How many people do they interview and how many do they accept?

Yes I have been accepted at Michigan. I'm going to interview at Wayne to compare schools before I make my final decision (pending acceptance from Wayne).

Hi POW. From what I read on other threads it sounds like you're a tech at Walgreens? Me too! Send me a PM if you want to chat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have been accepted at Michigan. I'm going to interview at Wayne to compare schools before I make my final decision (pending acceptance from Wayne).

I had my interview at U of M on October 22 and i was placed on the deferred pool. If i get into both of them it would be a hard decision for me too because WSU is close to my house and is only 65K for 4 years for instate residents, way cheaper than living in ann arbor + $100k tuition from U of M. But on the other side U of M has one hell of a pharmacy school if you are planing on doing a residency/fellowship after as i am.

Anyway good luck to everybody and see you December 9th

I had my interview at U of M on October 22 and i was placed on the deferred pool. If i get into both of them it would be a hard decision for me too because WSU is close to my house and is only 65K for 4 years for instate residents, way cheaper than living in ann arbor + $100k tuition from U of M. But on the other side U of M has one hell of a pharmacy school if you are planing on doing a residency/fellowship after as i am.

Anyway good luck to everybody and see you December 9th

I agree- The tuition is definitely going to be cheaper going to Wayne, and I also live close enough to the school where I could commute from where I am now. On the flip side, I am interested in Michigan's Pharm.D/Ph.D. program. I have always wanted to pursue both degrees, and if I go to Michigan the duration of the program would be shorter because they offer both degrees combined. Unfortunately Wayne does not have a dual program. I'm like 99% sure I am going to Michigan- I work at the hospital and I really like the campus/Ann Arbor area in general. Good luck to you, and I am sending the confirmation e-mail right now for the Dec. 9th interview at Wayne- see you then

Hi,
Those who received invitation for an interview at WSU. Could you please post your status?
I also apply to WSU, but I haven't heard back from them. Is there any advantage to get an interview early?
Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know how many people they have per interview session? Just curious. Seems like we have a pretty legit group here that will be at the 12/9 interview.

Best wishes to everyone interviewing tomorrow at WSU! Let's knock 'em dead :thumbup:

Best wishes to everyone interviewing tomorrow at WSU! Let's knock 'em dead :thumbup:

Thanks. I think I'm prepared to handle questions. I've also put together a list of questions for them. I had an interview at another school in November so I had a chance to get some practice.

My interview is at 10:15am. I am pumped anyone else feeling as excited as me:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Does anyone know how many people they have per interview session? Just curious. Seems like we have a pretty legit group here that will be at the 12/9 interview.

I don't really know. I believe they have two sessions tomorrow and I would think there wouldn't be more than 30 per session.

Hi,
Those who received invitation for an interview at WSU. Could you please post your status?
I also apply to WSU, but I haven't heard back from them. Is there any advantage to get an interview early?
Thanks in advance.

I think the sooner you can get in front of the admissions committee the better. Basically, more open seats betters you chances.

WHen you asked about status I assume you mean things like GPA?
I have a 4.0 and a 98 PCAT (99 Chem, 98 Bio)

hillwilliam I'd love to hear questions you have for them. Care to share? You can PM me.

I think the sooner you can get in front of the admissions committee the better. Basically, more open seats betters you chances.

WHen you asked about status I assume you mean things like GPA?
I have a 4.0 and a 98 PCAT (99 Chem, 98 Bio)

4.0 gulp........98 PCAT double gulp what a buzzkiller :laugh:
Good Luck Everybody

4.0 gulp........98 PCAT double gulp what a buzzkiller :laugh:
Good Luck Everybody

I'm a perpetual worrier. I study all the time because I fear how hard it can get into the programs. I'm ready to get accepted and get some of my life back! :laugh:

Hi,
Thanks in advance.

I just thought of another thing since I commented on your question. I'm almost done with the WSU pre-reqs. This fall I finished up the Organic Lab and the Human Physiology class so now I am done with their required classes. If you have good grades and PCAT, but aren't as far along in the pre-reqs, they might be waiting to see your fall grades. So, it would probably be a good idea to complete the PharmCas update as soon as it opens.

for those of u who already had their interviews at wayne state, can you please share your experience?

for those of u who already had their interviews at wayne state, can you please share your experience?

It was pretty quick and painless- You meet with current P students and some of the faculty, then split into groups. Depending on what group you get, you have a 2 on 1 interview for 30 minutes, tour of the facilities, and then you write your essay. The last thing is a presentation from a P4 who outlines the curriculum.

Best Wishes

Coolpharm, in addition to what scpptcc said, I would also add that todays groups were very, very small. So don't worry that you haven't heard yet. Based on the numbers today, I would expect that WSU will be conducting alot of interviews next year.

Ditto to the comments by hillwilliam and scpptcc. I really enjoyed the presentation by the P4 at the end of our day. She outlined the curriculum and explained exactly what the P1 year will look like. It set my mind at ease a bit. Don't worry - the interview process was straightforward and nothing seemed to come out of nowhere. Best of luck to those who interviewed yesterday and those who will be interviewing in the days and weeks ahead :). A word of encouragement....my group's tour guide said he did not interview until February and heard he was accepted in March. It sounded like the interview process will be an ongoing process for quite some time. TGIF!

thanks for sharing guys and for the encouraging words

Hi everyone, I thought I would share with you that WSU has 7 more scheduled interview dates with 2 sessions per day. They run through the end of February so if you don't hear anything soon, you are still okay. They may also add more dates at the end if needed. Make sure you have questions to ask during your interview!!

Hi all,
Thank you very much to all of you who respond to my question. How do you like WSU school of pharmacy? Is it your top choice?

Hi Pharm2014,

Thank you very much for your info. It is very helpful.

Hi everyone, I thought I would share with you that WSU has 7 more scheduled interview dates with 2 sessions per day. They run through the end of February so if you don't hear anything soon, you are still okay. They may also add more dates at the end if needed. Make sure you have questions to ask during your interview!!

Hello PHARM2014,

Thank you for the information and i am assuming you are already in the Pharmacy Program at WSU. I was one of the students interviewed last Thursday and i want to ask you if you know how soon the admission committee will make the decisions.

Regards

Albo, I asked the interviewers that question. I was told that the Admissions Commmittee was meeting this week. THey weren't sure if they would be able to get notifications out before the Christmas shutdown though.

Zenta, the faculty and program seem very good. My interviewers told me that as part of their five year plan the school will be working on their national reputation. I think one of the best things about the program is the easy access to great opportunties for clinical rotations and post-graduate residencies. The Detroit area has some great hospitals and WSU is partnered/affiliated with them

For the time line of hearing back from WSU seems to vary. From my own experience, it was about 4 weeks. My interview was on the first day they conducted interviews and my acceptance e-mail was sent out in their first batch. I do know that when they sent out the first acceptances, they were not just for the people that interviewed on the first day. So it will be hard to tell when they let people know this year because the next interview date is not until Jan. 13th. Try not to worry about it. If you have everything they are looking for you should be fine. Good luck!!!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!!

Hooray! I just received an acceptance email from Tamra!! :clap:

Sounds like they are going to want a $1000 deposit early next year. :(

Hooray! I just received an acceptance email from Tamra!! :clap:

Sounds like they are going to want a $1000 deposit early next year. :(

Congrats! Just got mine too.

Now I don't know what to do. $1000 deposit's pretty steep, especially if you decide to go somewhere else.

Just got my acceptance e-mail also.

Congrats to everyone who got in!

Got accepted too :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: i screamed like a girl when i got the email.

What a relief to know so early.

Wayne State is 20 min from my house and i can get a PharmD for only 65K. Also with the great network of hospitals i can fulfill my goal of doing a residency.
It is great to be in the first batch of interviewers. I bet all of us got accepts.

Last edited:
I've been waiting three years to post this message.....I got in!! I am 100% certain that I'll be at Wayne next year. It's the place I've been dreaming about for so long! Congrats to everyone! I think there were ~12 candidates interviewed last Thursday....and it sounds like several of us got letters of acceptance today. PHARM2014, did someone take it upon themselves to start a Facebook group for accepted students last year?

Congrats to all!!

Futurepharmd4, since you started this thread, I think it would be appropriate for you to also start the WSU College of Pharmacy Class of 2015 Facebook Group!! :thumbup:

If you dont mind, Futurepharmd4, can you post the link after you create the group. thanks! :D

Congrats to all!!

Futurepharmd4, since you started this thread, I think it would be appropriate for you to also start the WSU College of Pharmacy Class of 2015 Facebook Group!! :thumbup:

Awesome, I just sent you a request to join the group.

Do you think we should send the link to Tamra? Maybe she would be willing to send it to everyone who received the offer. That way people who aren't on SDN will hear about it and join too.

Me too,I just sent a request.