WCU COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think it is okay to register online on Costco travel website for Costco Travel Account with my dad' Costco membership card?? I hope it does...if I find a better deal on Costco travel, then I better need to cancel already reserved Enterprise car.

oh, you saw those great deals on their website from various rental companies? I am sure you can use your dad's card since all they ask for is a membership ID. I went with Avis b/c they are the only company that waive young renter's fee for costco members.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear about the KCUMB. I am sure WCU-COM will want you more than KCUMB did. Well, I asked this same question to admission and they said they can't tell me the exact answer. It varies from day to day. I am sure they seriously want to meet us for the interview to see whether we are good fits for their program. Plus, they are only interviewing 6 people per interview day. I am paying ~$700 bucks for this one school's interview including travel expenses, lodging and renting a car...since I am from Tucson, Arizona. So, this gotta be a good interview day and productive day for me!

Good luck to you TexasGuy2010! I am interviewing on Nov. 29th, btw.

Deleted.

Last edited:
oh, you saw those great deals on their website from various rental companies? I am sure you can use your dad's card since all they ask for is a membership ID. I went with Avis b/c they are the only company that waive young renter's fee for costco members.

Yeah, if I search on Costco travel website, I see a lot of deals from different car rental companies. I will try to compare the prices definitely.

Overall, how much are you expecting to pay for renting a car from Avis? Also, deciding on which insurance coverage is done at the time of rental right? Which insurance options are you planning to cover? I think I will do like damage waiver option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I really really want to attend WCU COm even more. I want a school that wants me for me and not because of numbers. I feel like schools tell you they look at everything, but in reality, they look mostly at numbers.

Do you all recommend me add any other schools? I only applied to 6 DO schools but would like to increase my odds of an acceptance at a school that is known for accepting an applicant based on his non-cognitive and personality aspect and not his numbers.

I applied to 9 DO schools and I regret that I applied to NSU-COM and LECOM-Erie since their classes are mostly full and their processing time is taking longer than other DO schools...I think ATSU, AZCOM, RVU-COM, or LMU-DCOM are all good schools that want to really know about you. This is just my suggestion, but adding few schools right now might be a little bit late. You can still add but send all the 2nd app or other requirements asap.

Yeah, if I search on Costco travel website, I see a lot of deals from different car rental companies. I will try to compare the prices definitely.

Overall, how much are you expecting to pay for renting a car from Avis? Also, deciding on which insurance coverage is done at the time of rental right? Which insurance options are you planning to cover? I think I will do like damage waiver option.

I didn't get the insurance option as it is additional money. If you're a safe driver, don't bother getting it. I rented a standard car for > $70 with tax included already. The coupon lets me upgrade to a full size for free. Not too shabby. However, renting a car in Jackson was more expensive than in Kansas City, MO by a whopping $20!

Now I really really want to attend WCU COm even more. I want a school that wants me for me and not because of numbers. I feel like schools tell you they look at everything, but in reality, they look mostly at numbers.

WCU-COM does not send out SECONDARY APPLICATIONS unless they are serious about an applicant! They told me in my interview last cycle that they do not want to waste an applicant's time and money. The interview is a chance to see if you will fit at WCU-COM and if WCU-COM will fit you.

WCU-COM does not send out SECONDARY APPLICATIONS unless they are serious about an applicant! They told me in my interview last cycle that they do not want to waste an applicant's time and money. The interview is a chance to see if you will fit at WCU-COM and if WCU-COM will fit you.

If you can, how do you like Hattiesburg, MS? The interviews might ask me in the upcoming interview at WCU about why Hattiesburg and why WCU. Since you have got some of experiences for a year, what do you think about Hattiesburg as a city to live and WCU-COM? Thanks!

If you can, how do you like Hattiesburg, MS? The interviews might ask me in the upcoming interview at WCU about why Hattiesburg and why WCU. Since you have got some of experiences for a year, what do you think about Hattiesburg as a city to live and WCU-COM? Thanks!

The city of Hattiesburg was not mentioned in my interview. It is a nice little city.Though in the 3 months I have been here, I have not been out much to explore Hattiesburg.

Now WCU is a different matter. Out of the 3 schools I interviewed at, out of 4 total, WCU was my # 1 choice. The school is committed to its students and providing quality health care to this state and region. The faculty is amazing, averaging over 20 years of experience. I love it here!

Now be aware, there are a lot of growing pains here at WCU. The 1st 4 classes will be blazing a trail for the classes to follow. (I am part of class # 2.) But I knew this coming in and am even more excited about the school and its future than when I got here.

I am super stoked about my upcoming interview! The more I hear and know about this school, the more I want to attend. I know that I will be a trailblazer for future students and am proud to do it.

Hope that I can meet some of the OMS-1 and OMS-2 on October 25!

I am super stoked about my upcoming interview! The more I hear and know about this school, the more I want to attend. I know that I will be a trailblazer for future students and am proud to do it.

Hope that I can meet some of the OMS-1 and OMS-2 on October 25!

Good luck and be safe! Tell me or PM me how it went after your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone on your interview invite! Just relax, stay calm, and prepare youself well prior to coming in for the interview.

For those of us who interviewed already, we will find out about our status on Nov 1. :scared:

Congrats everyone on your interview invite! Just relax, stay calm, and prepare youself well prior to coming in for the interview.

For those of us who interviewed already, we will find out about our status on Nov 1. :scared:

I hope everyone gets the news they want!

So my interview was originally November 1st, but I had to re-schedule it for Dec. 6th. WCU is one of top choices. I hope this doesn't indicate a decrease in/lack of interest in my part, b/c thats not the case. Any thoughts?

Good luck to everyone interviewing!! Excited to meet some of you!

So for those that interviewed today (or recently) how was it?

in addition to bossdoc's questions...didn't people find out about acceptances today?

So my interview was originally November 1st, but I had to re-schedule it for Dec. 6th. WCU is one of top choices. I hope this doesn't indicate a decrease in/lack of interest in my part, b/c thats not the case. Any thoughts?
I'm sure you'll be fine as far as rescheduling...they know things come up. I had mine rescheduled for 3 weeks later than the first scheduled date and I still got in

I called as well as emailed the admissions staff in regards to my admissions decision status and I got a voicemail and no email reply. Maybe they were busy with the interview day. You might see some movement here tomorrow in terms of decisions.

Accepted!!! :D C:9/1, II:9/12, I:10/25, A:11/1

I got curious and called at 4 PM central time and Ms. Donna Day picked up. She asked for my name and transferred me to Dr. Weir. He picked up and told me that he just signed my letter today and that I was accepted. Should be receiving an official letter soon. I'm so excited about this school. Friendly faculty, staff, students, and town.

Last edited:
Accepted!!! :D

I got curious and called at 4 PM central time and Ms. Donna Day picked up. She asked for my name and transferred me to Dr. Weir. He picked up and told me that he just signed my letter today and that I was accepted. Should be receiving an official letter soon. I'm so excited about this school. Friendly faculty, staff, students, and town.

congrats!

Congrats, Texasguy2010! How many people are accepted today? I am curious.

Accepted! I just got a call from Dr. Weir. I had been trying to get in touch with him in between my classes. I thought it was nice of him to call. I like this school a lot, so my decision on where to go just got easier ;)

Accepted!!! :D

Congratulations!!!! Excited to have you be a part of our school!!:)

Accepted! I just got a call from Dr. Weir. I had been trying to get in touch with him in between my classes. I thought it was nice of him to call. I like this school a lot, so my decision on where to go just got easier ;)

Yay! Congrats!!! :):):)

This school moved to the top of my list when I found out they only interview 6 students/day. I felt like I was wanted and not just an interviewee. I was completely blown away by the friendliness of the faculty, staff, and students. I hope to see you at WCU next fall.

Congratulations!!!! Excited to have you be a part of our school!!:)

Thanks! Are you an OMS-1 or 2? If 1, then I will see you around campus.

Wow...only 6 interviewees per day...Nice to see they mean business about the people they bring in

Wow...only 6 interviewees per day...Nice to see they mean business about the people they bring in

Exactly...unlike many medical schools where they will send you a secondary application just because you applied, WCUCOM actually reviews the application and if you can meet their standards then they send you the secondary application. They want to make sure they are not wasting your time and money, and if/when you get an interview its because they actually WANT you. Very different than many medical schools out there

Exactly...unlike many medical schools where they will send you a secondary application just because you applied, WCUCOM actually reviews the application and if you can meet their standards then they send you the secondary application. They want to make sure they are not wasting your time and money, and if/when you get an interview its because they actually WANT you. Very different than many medical schools out there

that's great to hear!

We think that we have something special here at WCUCOM!!! Our class is already looking at ways to help next year's class transition into medical school. (The 1st class here did that for us!!!) Best of luck to you all.

We think that we have something special here at WCUCOM!!! Our class is already looking at ways to help next year's class transition into medical school. (The 1st class here did that for us!!!) Best of luck to you all.

Can you tweak a little of the "ways" that your class has come up with to help us? please? :D

Received my official acceptance letter 11/3/11. It feels so good to know that I am wanted and not put on another waitlist or reject pile.

Does anyone know when the big white envelope with financial aid, and other materials will be sent out?

Hey guys! Junior at Mississippi College, becoming more and more interested in WCU-COM. I'm a resident of Mississippi.

I have a 3.67 overall gpa, 3.62 math science.

My practice MCAT scores are at a steady 27.

Where exactly does that put me in the pack when I apply next year, when referred back to how acceptance went in previous years? Also, how many applied last year? I know 108 got in.

Hey guys! Junior at Mississippi College, becoming more and more interested in WCU-COM. I'm a resident of Mississippi.

Where exactly does that put me in the pack when I apply next year, when referred back to how acceptance went in previous years? Also, how many applied last year? I know 108 got in.

Hi there.

Your GPA looks ok. Just focus on getting an MCAT score of >27 and you should be fine. Since you are a MS resident, you will get first priority. Just make sure to have your community service, work experience, and clinical hours (patient contact) balanced.

From what I heard, WCU total applicants increase every year and it's close to 2000 this cycle. The school estimate to interview up to 160 students for a class of about 100. Good luck!

You might even get an interview with Ole Miss. I got an interview there with a 26 MCAT, but sadly was rejected. I really loved Ole MIss too =(.

You should be pretty competitive with that. If you haven't taken any "Baldwin courses" yet, definitely hit them. They really help in giving you insight into the level of knowledge you'll need for 1st year. MC students are doing well here and the admissions committee is aware of that. Good luck next year!

You should be pretty competitive with that. If you haven't taken any "Baldwin courses" yet, definitely hit them. They really help in giving you insight into the level of knowledge you'll need for 1st year. MC students are doing well here and the admissions committee is aware of that. Good luck next year!

Awesome! I'm taking med/phys with Baldwin next semester. I'm scared senseless

Just got an interview invite for January 10th. Anyone else going to be there? :)

And for the people who interviewed last year, is that date too late? I'm afraid all of the spots may be filled..

Just got an interview invite for January 10th. Anyone else going to be there? :)

And for the people who interviewed last year, is that date too late? I'm afraid all of the spots may be filled..

I interviewed with 5 other people in April and all but one of the people who interviewed that day matriculated at WCUCOM. Now each cycle is different but I would in NO way think that a January interview is too late.

Thanks, Makesense :) I'm flipping out! WCU-COM is by far my first choice. I just hope I get to join you guys!

Thanks, Makesense :) I'm flipping out! WCU-COM is by far my first choice. I just hope I get to join you guys!

The fact that you got the interview shows that WCUCOM wants you. When you come in to interview just make sure that you are yourself. Like they told me when I interviewed, they gave us an interview because they wanted to get to know us and unless they find out we were an axe murderer there was a good chance we would be accepted.

Bahaha I'm certainly no axe murderer..
But thanks a lot, that makes me feel better. My applications just went through so fast, I was worried they interview a lot of people and didn't really look at it. I guess I got my stuff in on the same day they were reviewing them. Do you know how many people you interviewed with got in?

They review your secondary apps as quick as you send them in so if you aren't what they believe is WCU material they wont want you to waste your time. They are pretty good with getting back to you. Yea I interviewed with 6 people in March and 5 out of the 6 got in

They review your secondary apps as quick as you send them in so if you aren't what they believe is WCU material they wont want you to waste your time. They are pretty good with getting back to you. Yea I interviewed with 6 people in March and 5 out of the 6 got in

Wow...keep hearing good things on here about WCU. I can't wait for my interview on 12/6

congrats to those that received interviews! once you get the interview, it is yours to lose. don't give them too little or too much info. just the right amount of info during your interview and you should be fine.

Good luck to everyone having interviews coming up & congrats to those who were accepted!! We're excited to see you and have you be a part of our school!!

Just relax on the interview, but still be professional. Be yourself, that's who they want to meet. As long as you're not a psychopath, you have a great shot of being accepted. :):thumbup:

Found out I was accepted here today!! I interviewed last week and loved the school and the people. It's my first acceptance. I am so grateful.