WCU COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Found out I was accepted here today!! I interviewed last week and loved the school and the people. It's my first acceptance. I am so grateful.

Congrats! I can't for my interview Dec 6. Hopefully, they aren't too full.

Members don't see this ad.

Found out I was accepted here today!! I interviewed last week and loved the school and the people. It's my first acceptance. I am so grateful.

congrats!!! that was a quick turnaround. mine was the same. interviewed tuesday, accepted the following monday. hopefully you will choose WCU-COM

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted here today. I interviewed on Nov. 1. I was accepted to LMU-DCOM on Oct. 18. So, I have two acceptances now. I interviewed at UNTHSC/TCOM last Thursday. I am awaiting a decision from them. Prematch period just began in Texas, so I may have to wait awhile on TCOM. However, I can say it has been a successful cycle so far.

I can't say enough about this school or their personal approach. They even reserved parking spots for us with cones and the Administrative Assistant, super friendly Emily Bennett, waited for us in front of the school!!! As is mentioned on this site they do interviews in groups of 6 and typically two a week with ~160 interviews for 100 (plus 8 for attrition). After we arrived we were given a full presentation with some of it given by the Dean of the school, Dr. Lovins. I consider it a great compliment to have him free his busy schedule. We then got a tour which was followed by lunch. The lunch break was timed to coincide with the first year student's break;so, we got to talk with them and they got a free meal. (A little better then getting led around by some 1st yr biomedical science majors.) The interview came next and they let us pick the order!! Dr. Lovins even stopped by to talk to us again for a 10-15 minutes while we waited. (He has a big heart and a wealth of knowledge.)

Interview: You interview with 3 people, a PhD/DO/Dr. Weir (Associate Dean of Student Affairs)

Tone: They were conserved and professional but not cold. It was much better than my experience with Pikeville. Reasonable questions were asked and at no point did they attempt to rattle me with off-hand comments!! (no comment Pikeville.) They truly wanted to see if you fit the school and your interest in medicine.

Time limit: They do have a set of questions to ask, but I saw one student take 20 min and another take 40 min.

Questions: I thought about posting the questions, but I don't want to get on shaky ethical grounds.

Here's what I can say: Be prepared to answer all the basic questions. Why DO? Why WCU?, a couple on character questions, a straight forward ethics question, and in general why do you want to be a doctor? If you had a less than desirable semester or a lower MCAT be able to explain it or better yet, why it was a fluke. They're not going to pick through your file weeding out the bad things; they're truly looking at the whole you. They'll ask you about things you've done and the road you've traveled. I was only asked one or two questions on my grades(20 total?). (I would rather defend a blemish than have it only discussed in closed doors. After all, the only thing worse than not getting into medical school is failing out.) It is still an interview though, not all hugs-n-kisses.

The hopeful Friday call can't come soon enough. :)

Last edited:
I can't say enough about this school or their personal approach. They even reserved parking spots for us with cones and the Administrative Assistant, super friendly Emily Bennett, waited for us in front of the school!!! As is mentioned on this site they do interviews in groups of 6 and typically two a week with ~160 interviews for 100 (plus 8 for attrition). After we arrived we were given a full presentation with some of it given by the Dean of the school, Dr. Lovins. I consider it a great compliment to have him free his busy schedule. We then got a tour which was followed by lunch. The lunch break was timed to coincide with the first year student's break;so, we got to talk with them and they got a free meal. (A little better then getting led around by some 1st yr biomedical science majors.) The interview came next and they let us pick the order!! Dr. Lovins even stopped by to talk to us again for a 10-15 minutes while we waited. (He has a big heart and a wealth of knowledge.)

Interview: You interview with 3 people, a PhD/DO/Dr. Weir (Associate Dean of Student Affairs)

Tone: They were conserved and professional but not cold. It was much better than my experience with Pikeville. Reasonable questions were asked and at no point did they attempt to rattle me with off-hand comments!! (no comment Pikeville.) They truly wanted to see if you fit the school and your interest in medicine.

Time limit: They do have a set of questions to ask, but I saw one student take 20 min and another take 40 min.

Questions: I thought about posting the questions, but I don't want to get on shaky ethical grounds.

Here's what I can say: Be prepared to answer all the basic questions. Why DO? Why WCU?, a couple on character questions, a straight forward ethics question, and in general why do you want to be a doctor? If you had a less than desirable semester or a lower MCAT be able to explain it or better yet, why it was a fluke. They're not going to pick through your file weeding out the bad things; they're truly looking at the whole you. They'll ask you about things you've done and the road you've traveled. I was only asked one or two questions on my grades(20 total?). (I would rather defend a blemish than have it only discussed in closed doors. After all, the only thing worse than not getting into medical school is failing out.) It is still an interview though, not all hugs-n-kisses.

Great post. I'm really pumped for my interview in 3 weeks.

thank you for taking the time to post this! i think it definitely helps those who are interviewing in future weeks.. and best of luck to you!

So has WCU give out acceptances to interviewees yet? It seems that only a few have posted that they received an acceptance.

The deadline to pay the $3000 deposit is fast approaching and I am still waiting on other schools. It would be a waste of money if I decide not to attend WCU. So nervous and confused. :scared:

So has WCU give out acceptances to interviewees yet? It seems that only a few have posted that they received an acceptance.

The deadline to pay the $3000 deposit is fast approaching and I am still waiting on other schools. It would be a waste of money if I decide not to attend WCU. So nervous and confused. :scared:

I interviewed back in September and received my acceptance on Nov 3. I won't be attending though.

I thought you were surely going to attend WCU. What schools are you waiting from?

I thought you were surely going to attend WCU. What schools are you waiting from?
I'm excited to pay the $3,000 for my deposit, but it is a significant quantity of money. (It is the same as WVCOM...) It's significant enough that people will think about their decisions a little bit more, and that they will not be as likely to sit on multiple acceptances.

If this is a school you would like to attend; I would pay the deposit. The fact that you'll have one acceptance and a seat reserved means you will be going to medical school in the fall!!!! There is truly no loss in that fact. If you've already been interviewed at another school, I would call up to inform them of your dilemma and inquire of the next committee meeting. People apply to multiple schools and often receive multiple acceptances. You're not as much losing $3k as you are trading it for another acceptance.

Last edited:
I'm excited to pay the $3,000 for my deposit, but it is a significant quantity of money. (It is the same as WVCOM...) It's significant enough that people will think about their decisions a little bit more, and that they will not be as likely to sit on multiple acceptances.

If this is a school you would like to attend; I would pay the deposit. The fact that you'll have one acceptance and a seat reserved means you will be going to medical school in the fall!!!! There is truly no loss in that fact. If you've already been interviewed at another school, I would call up to inform them of your dilemma and inquire of the next committee meeting. People apply to multiple schools and often receive multiple acceptances. You're not as much losing $3k as you are trading it for another acceptance.

I see...most DO schools require $1,000 for the deposit. I am glad that you chose this school, AlfredJPrufrock since I want to attend here as well!

I will have an interview on next Tuesday (right after the T-day) and I would like to hear any last minute tip for WCU interview. I know you and several other successful interviewees posted their great experiences, but if you have any tip, share more on here please.

Does the interview day wrap up around 3 PM?

Is it true that WCU tends to select older group of people? I mean older groups that are usually over 26 yrs old or people who had gap years after acquiring the Bachelor. I love to attend here right after my graduation from the undergraduate institution and I hope that the age will not be a huge determinant (I am 22 by the way).

Thanks a lot and Have a wonderful T-DAY!

Members don't see this ad :)
I see...most DO schools require $1,000 for the deposit. I am glad that you chose this school, AlfredJPrufrock since I want to attend here as well!

I will have an interview on next Tuesday (right after the T-day) and I would like to hear any last minute tip for WCU interview. I know you and several other successful interviewees posted their great experiences, but if you have any tip, share more on here please.

Is it true that WCU tends to select older group of people? I mean older groups that are usually over 26 yrs old or people who had gap years after acquiring the Bachelor. I love to attend here right after my graduation from the undergraduate institution and I hope that the age will not be a huge determinant (I am 22 by the way).

Although WCU is definitely friendly toward non traditional applicants, your age will not be a handicap.The average age of my class is 24.5.

Although WCU is definitely friendly toward non traditional applicants, your age will not be a handicap.The average age of my class is 24.5.

I wasn't always sure about the difference between non and traditional students...can you explain the difference? I thought non-traditional students are people who are not majoring in sciences.

I wasn't always sure about the difference between non and traditional students...can you explain the difference? I thought non-traditional students are people who are not majoring in sciences.

Non Traditional students are those who have worked in another profession for a minimum of 2 years before deciding to pursue medicine as a career. Usually their age range is between 26-46, although there are a few older than this, like me. Many times these people did get a degree in something else, like Business or Spanish and had to do the necessary pre-requisites to take the MCAT and get into medical school.

Hey man I'm in the class and I am 22 as well...there are a good bit of us that came straight from undergrad or straight from a masters program so age is definitely not going to be a handicap for you. As far as any tips, as cliche` as it sounds, be yourself. They already have your transcripts, MCAT scores, etc. If they've invited you its because they want to know who you are as a person and if you will fit into WCUCOM. Also more tips will be given to you, more than likely, at the lunch on your interview. They coincide your lunch with both first and second year's lunch hour so you'll be able to meet some of us then. Hope this helps you out a bit

You're free to leave after the interview and they allow the interviewees to select the order. I was third and left around 3 pm, but I don't know when the last person left. They do use different ethics questions for the different interviewees, and the first student was kind enough to share some of the interview with us while we waited our turn.

I don't think you should have anything to worry about coming straight from undergrad. I think MakesSense had a perfect textbook answer for non-traditional. I know some PhysAsst schools that require experience, but I've only heard of older people having a harder time of getting in some schools.

Deposits can vary, WVCOM is $3,000. GA-PCOM $2,000, KYCOM $1,000. but you're right it is on the higher end. Compared to the 74k*4. It's unfortunately a drop in the bucket and you'll get it back when the school loan checks come out.

I think being confident and straight forward can make a big difference. They'll quickly see through anything else... There is no right answer to their questions, the questions are about you. (I tried not to over analyze their questions, and search for the "perfect" answer. Instead I tried to smile and show my enthusiasm and I saw it bleed over onto their faces. What doctor wouldn't want to see someone who is passionate about being a doctor!!) Be ready to talk about a shadowing experience that made you happy or sad. (Don't clam up and make it painful and awkward. They want to hear you talk and hear what's important to you.) Be ready to explain why you want to be a pediatrician or a general surgeon and where you'd like to work. Just the basic questions.

Someone posted a list of questions on student doctor and I consolidated it. I then answered all of the 60-70 questions as a friend interviewed me and we discussed my answers. There weren't any questions asked that I hadn't thought about.

Make sure to talk to the students at lunch. It can break the tension of an upcoming interview and they were really nice.

I appreciate all of your feedback for the last minute check-up for the upcoming interview!!

The age will not hinder you in your acceptance. We have a wide range of ages in our class! Just be yourself, relax, and talk to the OMS I & II students who are around at lunch! Can't wait to meet you! Good luck!!!:)

The age will not hinder you in your acceptance. We have a wide range of ages in our class! Just be yourself, relax, and talk to the OMS I & II students who are around at lunch! Can't wait to meet you! Good luck!!!:)

Thanks! I am looking forward to meet you!

Is weather pretty nice there in Hattiesburg? I heard that MS is pretty warm even during the late Nov and early Dec.

Also, the interview is completely open-file, correct?

Last edited:
Good luck Waterdragon on your interview tomorrow!!!! Do well and remember to enjoy your time there.

Interviewing next week, any hotel suggestions?

if anyone would like to split a hotel next monday I don't mind..PM me..I'm a 24 year old male and I will be driving from pensacola on monday 10/5 if anyone needs a ride from the airport

Thanks! I am looking forward to meet you!

Is weather pretty nice there in Hattiesburg? I heard that MS is pretty warm even during the late Nov and early Dec.

Also, the interview is completely open-file, correct?

Open file, yes.

It's cold today! But should be nicer tomorrow! It's usually (from my 5 months of being here) pretty nice weather in Hattiesburg!

Good luck tomorrow!!!:)

I interviewed on Nov. 29th here at WCUCOM and I had a pleasant experience! People here especially both OMS 1 and 2 were very friendly and willing to answer any last minute question we have had. In fact, I've met DrSoonerDO and other gentleman whom I asked a few questions about WCU here on SDN. So, I was able to be more relaxed and feel comfortable before the interview. The interview was very laid back and there were no surprising questions at all. I interviewed with Dr. Weir, Dr. Porter and Dr. Jones. They were super nice and willing to really see who you are as a person. Basically, know your strong passion and motivation for why medicine, why DO over MD and why WCUCOM. You will have definitely at least one ethical question.

I, hopefully hear a good news a little after Dec. 16th when the admission committee meets and makes a final decision.

Lastly, I loved driving from Jackson to Hattiesburg...nice view and landscape while driving.

I interviewed on Nov. 29th here at WCUCOM and I had a pleasant experience! People here especially both OMS 1 and 2 were very friendly and willing to answer any last minute question we have had. In fact, I've met DrSoonerDO and other gentleman whom I asked a few questions about WCU here on SDN. So, I was able to be more relaxed and feel comfortable before the interview. The interview was very laid back and there were no surprising questions at all. I interviewed with Dr. Weir, Dr. Porter and Dr. Jones. They were super nice and willing to really see who you are as a person. Basically, know your strong passion and motivation for why medicine, why DO over MD and why WCUCOM. You will have definitely at least one ethical question.

I, hopefully hear a good news a little after Dec. 16th when the admission committee meets and makes a final decision.

Lastly, I loved driving from Jackson to Hattiesburg...nice view and landscape while driving.

That doesnt sound to bad. I'm interviewing here next week. Good luck to you.

glad you had an awesome experience. I didn't get to enjoy the view as much since i was driving like 90-100mph from jackson to hattiesburg. even with that driving, i was still 20 minutes late :(

Did you happen to find an awesome deal on car rental? which company did you end up with?

glad you had an awesome experience. I didn't get to enjoy the view as much since i was driving like 90-100mph from jackson to hattiesburg. even with that driving, i was still 20 minutes late :(

Did you happen to find an awesome deal on car rental? which company did you end up with?

Hey, TexasGuy2010! I wouldn't dare to drive that speed because Arizona I live in has tons of speed cameras and highway cops...but I was surprised that there was pretty much none here at MS.

Btw, did you decide which school you are gonna attend? I saw you were contemplating about that.

No, I rent a car from Enterprise for 1 day and 2 hours with young-renter fee, GPS, and minimum insurance coverage...it cost over $100...but I was scared to be lost in MS (GPS was very helpful). But, with your tip about reserving a car with Costco membership saved me few bucks. I appreciated that.

One thing I challenged myself in MS was to drive in the foggy and rainy day on the way to Hattiesburg.

Hey, TexasGuy2010! I wouldn't dare to drive that speed because Arizona I live in has tons of speed cameras and highway cops...but I was surprised that there was pretty much none here at MS.

Btw, did you decide which school you are gonna attend? I saw you were contemplating about that.

No, I rent a car from Enterprise for 1 day and 2 hours with young-renter fee, GPS, and minimum insurance coverage...it cost over $100...but I was scared to be lost in MS (GPS was very helpful). But, with your tip about reserving a car with Costco membership saved me few bucks. I appreciated that.

One thing I challenged myself in MS was to drive in the foggy and rainy day on the way to Hattiesburg.

I am still contemplating since I am waiting to hear from schools here at home. If I don't hear anything by next week, I will definitely put my deposit at WCU. I like it so much at WCU that it is the only OOS school that I want to attend. Never have I felt more welcomed at a school than at WCU. The fact the they only interview 5-6 students at a time impressed me and the friendliness of the staff and students put this school at the top of my list.

There is a facebook page under WCUCOM Class of 2016.

Can you post a link please? I could not find it on FB. I haven't gone onto FB for over a year and it has went from simple to complicated which is difficult to browse.

I'm interviewing this week; how soon should we hear about acceptances?

I interviewed on Monday and the committee met on Friday. Dr. Weir called Monday (7 days after the interview) at 11:30 and then again at 4:00 p.m. (I missed the call :( , and I returned his call :) ).

Last edited:
Interviewing here tomorrow, any last minute tips?

I'm interviewing this week; how soon should we hear about acceptances?

Starting with the interview group of Nov. 29th, Dr. Weir told us that the admission committee will meet on Dec. 16th when they will make decisions. Thus, even if you interview tomorrow, or this week, the final decision will not be notified until Dec. 16th at least. You can double check with him when you get there for sure. I guess that is the way they go about selecting applicants from the interview groups together.

Good luck on your interview!

Interviewing here tomorrow, any last minute tips?

Just be relaxed and be yourself...I know it is easier said than done. But, that is the only thing you can do the day before the interview. Maybe, you could refine your answers for why medicine, why do and why wcu.

Good luck!

Just be relaxed and be yourself...I know it is easier said than done. But, that is the only thing you can do the day before the interview. Maybe, you could refine your answers for why medicine, why do and why wcu.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Good luck yall on the interview tomorrow!

The wait for an acceptance/decision can be painful, espcially for those who had to wait until Dec 16. The first batch of acceptance came on Nov 1 which was far from the first interview date in mid September. I got lucky b/c my interview date was the last before Nov. 1. However, the six days of waiting was no fun either. All I can say is find things to do to keep your mind off of school.

It's official. I am going to WCU-COM. Will send in my deposit money later this week.

WCU-COM Class of 2016!!! :D

It's official. I am going to WCU-COM. Will send in my deposit money later this week.

WCU-COM Class of 2016!!! :D

We look forward to having you here next year!!!! If we can be of any help, then let us know.

Thanks all OMS-1 for the support. i have a few questions:

1. when will we receive the packet containing important info about school? I need it early to plan my months ahead. Information about next year's schedule would be vital

2. Are there any apartments near school that is clean, safe, and affordable ($500-600 range) is great.

3. Have any of you heard anything about the residency match from the school? I know the school is new, but info pertaining to residency would be helpful.

If I have other questions, I will post them later. Thanks!

For those who are waiting to hear from the school, hope you all will hear something great this week.!!! :luck::xf:

Thanks all OMS-1 for the support. i have a few questions:

1. when will we receive the packet containing important info about school? I need it early to plan my months ahead. Information about next year's schedule would be vital

2. Are there any apartments near school that is clean, safe, and affordable ($500-600 range) is great.

3. Have any of you heard anything about the residency match from the school? I know the school is new, but info pertaining to residency would be helpful.

If I have other questions, I will post them later. Thanks!

For those who are waiting to hear from the school, hope you all will hear something great this week.!!! :luck::xf:

# 1 I am sure that they are still working on the information packet for next year. You will get plenty of advance notice.

# 3 This is at least 2 years away. Your class will be the 3rd class for the school.

# 2 It depends if you want a full apartment/house to yourself or just a bedroom and a bath.

I am currently living in a 4 by 4 apt which means I have my own bedroom and bath, but share a common living area-living room, kitchen and den. I pay $450 per month which includes my utilities and cable.

Apts range from $550 on up depending on what you want.

I can't wait to hear back on the decision... any idea how soon it will be after the committee meets on Dec 16th?

I can't wait to hear back on the decision... any idea how soon it will be after the committee meets on Dec 16th?

I wish I know the exact time when they will give out calls. But, being patient at this point is pretty tough! :xf: