We need more DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EarlyEditionDude

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are over 120 MD schools in the U.S. Why isnt't there more DO schools in the U.S.?

Members don't see this ad.

Give it time....

There's a couple of new schools being organize and build as we speak....

In the future, when there is more medical school, will there be more medical school acceptances or a reduced class size?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think as a society we have returned to the Wild West days of quick drug fixes and that doesn't mix well with DO philosophy.

there is suppose to be a new D.O. school in VA (blacksburg) for entering class of 2003...
There should have been on in VA a long time ago, after all this is where A.T. Still was born, in jonesville VA!!!!!

Mike

Originally posted by EarlyEditionDude:
•In the future, when there is more medical school, will there be more medical school acceptances or a reduced class size?•

It would seem a bit counter-intuitive to open more medical schools and then reduce class sizes across the board. So when and if there are more medical schools in the future, there will be more acceptances as well as a relative loss in competitiveness in the applicant pool.

Overall, the number of applicants to med school has been trending down...

Many osteopathic schools are increasing their class size...

...it doesn't seem feasable to increase the number of schools without diluting the quality of applicant (look at what happened with chiropractic schools)...

More and more osteopathic schools seem to be jumping on the trend of adding new programs. "Biomedical Sciences" post-bac degrees. PT, OT, PharmD, ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP...

With the "lackluster" appeal of medicine as a career... more peeps are looking in allied health careers.. thus the medical schools are working that trend... money money money money...

-A

Uhm... sorry, I disagree. We DO NOT need more medical schools, whether DO or MD. There are already too many doctors (unevenly distributed geographically making it seem as if there are too few) and too many IMGs. I understand the AOA feels they need to increase the nos. of Osteopathic docs, but yeah, I agree that they are in danger of taking less qualified applicants (and no, I do not mean just in terms of stats).

The AOA keeps operating in a vacuum, they simply pretend there is no other medical profession. They feel they need a larger presence in the west coast, so where do they open a school? In the NW? In NV or NM where there are fewer schools? Nope, in the Bay Area where there are already 3 medical schools! They need to start cooperating with the allopathic medical organizations to even out the geographic and professional distribution of physicians in the U.S.

JMHO, for all that it's worth.

although a few more D.O. schools on the west coast would be welcome, the deficiency at this point seems to be in D.O. residencies for folks who do not want to go the allopathic residency route. for instance there are no emergency med. residencies on the west coast for D.O.'s. before opening new schools, we should make sure that every D.O. graduate can obtain a slot in an osteopathic residency if they so desire.just a thought...

I have to agree with the people who don't think any more schools should be added. The osteopathic system cannot support itself as it is and must depend on MD residencies (which seems to be somewhat in conflict with my impressions of which the AOA seems to preach). There is a huge gap between the number of osteopathic graduates and residencies to train them. What logic is there in having even more graduates? (To make the unmatch rates even higher?)