weak applicant question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markglt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
undergrad degree in psychology.
step 3 score pending.
subpar step1
ave step 2

in the event that i dont match......and in addition to finding research...would an MA in psych be a better boost to my application than an MPH or an MHA...?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't do it. I agree with the people who commented on your other thread that a masters degree isn't going to help much with the practice of medicine and probably won't carry much weight.

what would u suggest pray tell?

Members don't see this ad :)
Either try to get more clinical experience in psych (observerships or whatever) or try to get into a medical prelim year and then see if you can slide over into a PGY-2 psych opening the following year.

step 3 score pending.
subpar step1
ave step 2

in the event that i dont match......and in addition to finding research...would an MA in psych be a better boost to my application than an MPH or an MHA...?

hey markglt, if you got an average step 2 score (=220), isn't that better than average for psych?? You should be getting plenty of interviews!!

step 3 score pending.
subpar step1
ave step 2

MA, MPH, MHA, etc won't help.

-AT.

step 3 score pending.
subpar step1
ave step 2

I am confused. How could you have taken your step 3 already? Are you or have you already done your internship? If so, you would need to show a genuine interest in psychiatry. I cannot comment on your scores because subpar scores to one person may be average to another. At this point, you passed your first two steps which is great and if you passed your step 3, then you are ahead of the game. I would encourage you to apply to a broad range of psychiatry programs and hope for the best. As long as your LORs and personal statement are great, then you should get some interviews. The others are right, doing a master's will not help you, unless you truly want to do it for yourself, not for the sake of matching. :thumbup::D