Weigh in on timeline, SMP applications? (Looking for reassurance)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello all!

Would it be possible for anyone to weigh in on my timeline for application? I am working with my pre-health adviser, and with his guidance I have formulated this plan. Any and all advice is hugely appreciated!

I am a non-traditional student planning on applying to SMP's this spring. I graduated with a BS in Zoology in spring of 2015 (cGPA 3.133, sGPA 3.013), and am currently taking some courses as a special student at the university I graduated from; all of my prereqs are complete. I am studying for the MCAT (just finished C/P content review) and plan on testing in January. I worked full time as an optometric tech for a year, and originally intended on applying to optometry school. I feel this was good experience (lots of patient interaction), but for several reasons I shifted my focus to medicine. I currently work as a home health aide, providing personal cares to an autistic teen. I also volunteer weekly at a local retirement community (doing various things - more companionship type care), and have a clinical volunteer gig in the works. I have several shadowing experiences in the ED, an ophthalmologist, and will continue to shadow throughout the fall (trying to see family practice, but no luck so far).

After graduating, I did research for one year working second shift as a chemist at a pharmaceutical company, while simultaneously volunteering as a track and field coach at my university (coaching was the profession I originally intended on pursuing). I was all-american in athletics at a big D1 school, which I do feel pulled me away from my studies, however, I'm not going to use that as an excuse for my undergrad GPA. I know I've got a lot of work to do to try and compensate.

I apologize for making this just a boring list of things I have done in the past, I just really want to validate this plan and gather any advice anybody has to offer.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Well the only timeline thing you really refer to is your taking the MCAT in January. Seems fine but don't be afraid to postpone if you're not ready.

I think with a solid score of 505+ you will get into SMPs next year. Kind of seems like you want validation on the rest of your app, which frankly looks pretty good. You're well on your way just put all your efforts into the MCAT. Having a nice MCAT score is a huge relief in this process.

Good luck OP.

Well the only timeline thing you really refer to is your taking the MCAT in January. Seems fine but don't be afraid to postpone if you're not ready.

I think with a solid score of 505+ you will get into SMPs next year. Kind of seems like you want validation on the rest of your app, which frankly looks pretty good. You're well on your way just put all your efforts into the MCAT. Having a nice MCAT score is a huge relief in this process.

Good luck OP.
Thanks for the response! And yes, I was looking for some validation...

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile