"Well, it's DO school not medical school"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted812153

I hear it at home all the time. It's particularly infuriating because it comes from Dad (MD). He went to SGU FFS.

Anybody else deal with this? How do you get it through people's skulls that it's more-or-less the same? Is this how DOs are seen as a general theme in their professional lives?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The only people that would say something like this are ignorant. Sorry about your pops. Some people like myself just don't care. They can call it whatever they want as long as I graduate and match into a residency.

Reactions: 10 users
Just smile and nod. Who cares what they have to say. You could try to educate your dad but don't go looking for his approval. He will see soon enough of what you will be going through

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard anyone say this. If you've ever worked in an environment with both MD's/DO's, you know there is no "bias" in the workplace. Patients, colleagues, nurses, PA's, PCT's, etc. all treat DO's/MD's the exact same way.

DO puts you at a disadvantage prior to actually starting your career as a physician (with residency/fellowship bias), but once in the workplace, none of that matters. All anyone cares about is how you treat patients, carry yourself, and work in a team.

Reactions: 9 users
I've never heard anyone say this. If you've ever worked in an environment with both MD's/DO's, you know there is no "bias" in the workplace. Patients, colleagues, nurses, PA's, PCT's, etc. all treat DO's/MD's the exact same way.

DO puts you at a disadvantage prior to actually starting your career as a physician (with residency/fellowship bias), but once in the workplace, none of that matters. All anyone cares about is how you treat patients, carry yourself, and work in a team.

Must've not have seen the website for our esteemed Jewish dermatology colleague

Reactions: 7 users
I hear it at home all the time. It's particularly infuriating because it comes from Dad (MD). He went to SGU FFS.

Anybody else deal with this? How do you get it through people's skulls that it's more-or-less the same? Is this how DOs are seen as a general theme in their professional lives?

I've had some older midlevels tell me there used to be a day when if you said you went to medical school as a DO you'd get "corrected" just like your dad does. But those days are gone, nobody considers osteopathic medical school to not be medical school. It's dates your dad to say this the same way if you asked to use his phone and he said "You mean CELL phone." Archaic distinction.

Reactions: 4 users
how does your dad, who's an MD, not work with any DO physicians?

I would tell him "Call it what you want but I'm still going to be a great doctor, OLD MAN!"

Reactions: 10 users
is your dad trump? jk, highly improbable that a seasoned physician would say such, I know average people who know about DO's.. extremely ignorant imo

I think this may actually stem from something else. I work with an MD and she tells others I am going to "DO school". However she has no bias and means no harm by that. When she says "medical school" its because she lacks a word to distinguish MD and DO programs. I think.

I hear DO school all the time too instead of medical school. Bothers me just a little bit

is your dad trump? jk, highly improbable that a seasoned physician would say such, I know average people who know about DO's.. extremely ignorant imo
I think experiences such as yours are regionally-dependent. For example, where I'm from (a relatively large city), average people had no idea.

I think this may actually stem from something else. I work with an MD and she tells others I am going to "DO school". However she has no bias and means no harm by that. When she says "medical school" its because she lacks a word to distinguish MD and DO programs. I think.
Admittedly, I refer to osteopathic medical schools as DO schools. But, as you hinted, it's not because I think it is intrinsically 'less than'. It is simply a word to distinguish between the two.

If it bothers you (not referring to you Marrowist), I think that's more of a problem on your end. You are, in fact, receiving a DO degree (even though eventual practice is the same as MD). I would have no problem with you saying I go to a MD school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Must've not have seen the website for our esteemed Jewish dermatology colleague

Haha didn't he also basically rip into everyone who didn't go to a "top" school? I know NPs and PAs were on his list.

OP my dad used to ask me why I wasn't going to medical school until he asked his friend (ivory tower MD type surgeon) who then set him straight. This same guy was the one who encouraged me about DO in the first place.

Edit: I do want to say my dad only said that out of ignorance. Now he goes around all proud that I will be a doctor.

Reactions: 8 users
Show your dad DO vs Carrib MD match, gpa, and MCAT data. That should shut him up pretty quick.

Reactions: 6 users
I hear DO school all the time too instead of medical school. Bothers me just a little bit

It shouldn't friend! It doesn't matter where you go there will always be somebody that looks down on you.

Oh Caribbean? Too stupid to go US?
Oh DO school? Too stupid to go MD?
Oh low tier MD? Too stupid to go to X school?
Oh harvard? Too stupid to start a business?

Reactions: 16 users
OP my dad used to ask me why I wasn't going to medical school until he asked his friend (ivory tower MD type surgeon) who then set him straight. This same guy was the one who encouraged me about DO in the first place.

Edit: I do want to say my dad only said that out of ignorance. Now he goes around all proud that I will be a doctor.

Had the same exact scenario a couple family members. They all thought I was applying to be a chiropractor. Thats why you should really appreciate the people that take the time to get involved in your life and understand this process.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha no seriously, he basically called everyone else a dog. It wasn't even just DOs, I'm pretty sure low tier MDs were on his don't visit list
Hilarious coming from a guy who applied to med school when you only needed to apply to 1-2 schools to get in and admission standards were nothing like they are today haha

too bad he doesn't get in a car accident and goes into a coma...
only to wake up after being operated on by an inferior DO trauma surgeon

"You should have let me die!!"

Reactions: 7 users
Hilarious coming from a guy who applied to med school when you only needed to apply to 1-2 schools to get in and admission standards were nothing like they are today haha

I know, times have totally changed even in the last 10 years. One of the docs I work with is only like 35 and went to a top 5 med school about 10 years ago with a 33. Still a good score but a 33 won't get you anywhere near the tip top anymore without a nobel prize basically.

Reactions: 1 users
I know, times have totally changed even in the last 10 years. One of the docs I work with is only like 35 and went to a top 5 med school about 10 years ago with a 33. Still a good score but a 33 won't get you anywhere near the tip top anymore without a nobel prize basically.
I blame Grey's Anatomy. Everyone wants to be a pediatric neuro-opthalmologist these days

Reactions: 9 users
too bad he doesn't get in a car accident and goes into a coma...
only to wake up after being operated on by an inferior DO trauma surgeon

"You should have let me die!!"
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's an MD only field though have to be a REAL MEDICAL DOCTOR! (Obvious sarcasm)
*Sigh* Guess I better go back to honing my chiropractic skills, because that's where my future seems to be at.

LOL.

It shouldn't friend! It doesn't matter where you go there will always be somebody that looks down on you.

So true. This is why I don't care about tiers/degree title :p

Yeah, my grandmother (in-law) was so excited when I got an MD interview (had already interviewed at several DO schools). She was happy I got a "real medical school interview."

Just roll my eyes, try to explain, but it fails to reach many.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

how does your dad, who's an MD, not work with any DO physicians?

He does...

Show your dad DO vs Carrib MD match, gpa, and MCAT data. That should shut him up pretty quick.

A L T E R N A T E F A C T S. I show him the real numbers about match rates, graduation rates, etc and he just doesn't believe it.

call the rocket surgeon

my sides have entered orbit

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Get used to it from now until matriculation.

Like dealing with any ignorant person, you talk to them one:oops:ne, once at a time.

Once you get your degree, then it will be a lifetime of answering "What's a DO?"

Just ignore your dad unless you want to talk clinical stuff.

Your dad has a point. DOs, with their inferior training (they don't even have an MD!) shouldn't even be trusted to do a physical, much less write prescriptions. We certainly would never accept them at my prestigious Jewish dermatology residency program. Hell, last year we only accepted applicants from Princeton Medical School and MITSOM. We did make an exception for a guy from Trump University SOM, but only because he had a HUGE step 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

Getting into a U.S medical school is an accomplishment. It's the stuff people dream about-- those initials(M.D/D.O) don't make you any better or worse of a doctor---that's on you. Seeing and interacting with medical students from both U.S DO/MD schools during my interviews showed me that these students are the cream of the crop-- they will blow you away. These med students are incredibly accomplished and humbled me-- at both types of medical schools.

To get to their level you have to be determined and very smart.

Caribbean schools like SGU and the rest from my understanding is like a bucket of crabs---some(very few now) get out successfully(after exhausting every avenue) but a lot of folks end up with a lot of debt and nothing to show for it-- and honestly the overlap in US MD/DO is huge-- those interviewing at established DO schools are also interviewing at MD schools.

When I went to my TCMC interview I talked to students who had finished interviewing at LECOM-Erie(As did I!) and they all were grateful for the chance to interview at both schools. Seriously the overlap is there and it grows each cycle.

;)

Last edited:

How old is your dad (if you don't mind me asking!)?

Just tell your pops "You can't spell doctor without DO." Drops the mic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Tell your dad at least it's a medical school IN AMERICA.

Really though, who cares. Just learn to not give a damn. When you're an attending anesthesiologist/cardiologist/intensivist/whatever, do you think he'll give two ****s where you went to school?

Your dad has a point. DOs, with their inferior training (they don't even have an MD!) shouldn't even be trusted to do a physical, much less write prescriptions. We certainly would never accept them at my prestigious Jewish dermatology residency program. Hell, last year we only accepted applicants from Princeton Medical School and MITSOM. We did make an exception for a guy from Trump University SOM, but only because he had a YUUUUUUGEEEEE step 1.

FTFY

How old is your dad (if you don't mind me asking!)?

Pops is 60 (wow that hurts to say). He's the kind of man who has propelled himself through life by nothing but his own stubbornness. Really remarkable guy, love him to tears.

Is Jewish Dermatology a thing? I mean Jewish Physics is a thing. If it isn't a thing can we make it one?

You as president can make whatever you like

Cast a spell of lumbar kyphosis on him. That'll show him.

Pops is 60 (wow that hurts to say). He's the kind of man who has propelled himself through life by nothing but his own stubbornness. Really remarkable guy, love him to tears.

Is Jewish Dermatology a thing? I mean Jewish Physics is a thing. If it isn't a thing can we make it one?
If so, they've kept this a secret from me in my synagogue. Typical.

Don't worry. oce you're an attending, you will get a different kind of persecution:
Porshe Boxster? Why not the Boxster S?
Boxster S? Why not the 911?
911? why not the GT3 RS?

I've started to lean into the punches with a friend of mine who attends a carrib. school. I don't have the heart to tease him about carrib. schools because the threat of failure is so real in his case. So I join in his teases about DOs; all in good fun of course!

All we can do is educate people one person at a time. Let those who are stuck in their archaic trains of thought do as they may.. they aren't impeding anyone but themselves.

I'd probably say something like, "Well, I know it's no offshore medical diploma mill like SGU, but it's the best I got."

I hear Rocket Surgery is the new and upcoming field to gun for.

Overrated specialty. Also, sorry to say but MD and DO degrees are both insufficient. You need to be a lowly enlisted or DOD employee to perform rocket surgery.

Yeah, my grandmother (in-law) was so excited when I got an MD interview (had already interviewed at several DO schools). She was happy I got a "real medical school interview."

Just roll my eyes, try to explain, but it fails to reach many.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile
Lol my grandma said "Oooh I know you went to some holistic type school interviews, I'm glad you interviewed at regular medical school too!"

Yeah grandma...

Haha no use in even explaining to someone who's 89

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Oh Dental school? Too smart to go to medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.