General Admissions & OTCAS West Coast University Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it’s through this link Apply Online - Online Application Form | West Coast University or you can google “west coast university application”. Once you fill that out and choose your program towards the bottom it should prompt for a payment! I think it was on the same page once you click on a degree/program :)
Thank you so much! Hope you are safe during this tough time

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I recently declined my interview and withdrew my application. Good luck to you all!

Hi. Just to give an update to all that I got my acceptance notification for the Fall OTD 2020!
Congrats! I was placed on the waitlist for both OTD and MSOT programs so my chances aren't looking good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I was placed on the waitlist for both OTD and MSOT programs so my chances aren't looking good.

Thank you! I was actually waitlisted last year (for OTD Fall 2019 entry) and applied again for entry this fall semester. Good luck to you.

I applied for Spring MSOT 2021 and was placed on wait list. Good luck to everyone who has interview coming up.
Good luck to you as well. I am not sure how they are conducting interviews considering everything going on.. are they still conducting on campus interviews?
Also, If you do not mind, can you please share your stats? :)

I am not able to apply until May because I don't graduate until then. Can anyone explain rolling admissions and how this will affect my chances of getting in? Because I know others have already been accepted (congratulations!!! :) ) and I am not sure if the classes are full yet!

For those of you that have interviews coming up, are they going to be on Zoom?

Yes it’s going to be on Zoom! They assign you a time/day and said that we will be receiving a link the day before the interview. You will get all the information in an email after you accept your interview time!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Yes it’s going to be on Zoom! They assign you a time/day and said that we will be receiving a link the day before the interview. You will get all the information in an email after you accept your interview time!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Thank you so much! Do you know how the essay portion is going to be? Are they still going to have us write an essay?

Thank you so much! Do you know how the essay portion is going to be? Are they still going to have us write an essay?

No problem! Not entirely sure how it will be but we do still have to hand write an essay. They ask you to email Mary for the prompt & essay information after your interview and it is timed from the moment she sends it out. That’s all I’ve been told so far!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi. Just to give an update to all that I got my acceptance notification for the Fall OTD 2020!
Congratulations!! I'm interviewing this Friday! What was the interview like? Any information is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!! I'm interviewing this Friday! What was the interview like? Any information is appreciated!!

Thank you! It was like a speed-dating kind of interview when I did mine a month ago. I am not sure though if they are doing it through Zoom for these coming weeks due to things going on right now. I got interviewed by four faculty members and one current student (one-on-one) and and also got the opportunity to ask them some questions too. I also joined a building tour (with four applicants) with a current student (I think it was around 15mins). And last part was the essay portion (about 45mins). Are you interviewing for the MSOT or OTD?

Just be yourself and best of luck to you!

Thank you! It was like a speed-dating kind of interview when I did mine a month ago. I am not sure though if they are doing it through Zoom for these coming weeks due to things going on right now. I got interviewed by four faculty members and one current student (one-on-one) and and also got the opportunity to ask them some questions too. I also joined a building tour (with four applicants) with a current student (I think it was around 15mins). And last part was the essay portion (about 45mins). Are you interviewing for the MSOT or OTD?

Just be yourself and best of luck to you!
I'm interviewing for the OTD program. Unfortunately no on campus tour for me. What did you think about the campus?

I'm interviewing for the OTD program. Unfortunately no on campus tour for me. What did you think about the campus?
Although my interview was pleasant, the overall essay online was not 1hour long. I had an interview with WCU today and was wondering if you had 2 professors interview you? The overall experience was different from the last time I applied. How did yours go?

Although my interview was pleasant, the overall essay online was not 1hour long. I had an interview with WCU today and was wondering if you had 2 professors interview you? The overall experience was different from the last time I applied. How did yours go?

Did you feel like the essay took longer? Or were you able to finish before the 1 hour deadline? How was your previous experience?? Did you like the previous interview better than this one? Sorry for so many questions!

Did you feel like the essay took longer? Or were you able to finish before the 1 hour deadline? How was your previous experience?? Did you like the previous interview better than this one? Sorry for so many questions!
Interview portion: My previous experience was more pleasant. I got to converse with a lot of the faculty but this time instead of speaking to multiple staff, it was only 2. Too make things worse, one of the other professors had an unexpected situation and couldn't interview me? I felt like it was unfair. I had a professor that interviewed me last time around interview me yesterday and she remembered me. She told me she threw away her interview questions and stated she was going to ask me a brand new set. I still felt comfortable but threw me on the spot.

Essay prompt:I felt very rushed during the essay process because this time it was ZOOM based. The last time I interviewed was for the MOT program and it was an in person interview. The essay was relaxing and I was able to take my time. Although they said it was 1 hour to complete the essay, you need to take account the moment you receive your email regarding the essay prompt the essay would need to be turned in by exactly 1hr. My time was 1:45pm and I needed to turn in a finish essay at 2:45 which means I had to brainstorm for about 5 minutes and then write a hand-written paper for about 40 minutes and then scan over the images back to original email.

-I was admitted to other schools but definitely feel that this interview was hectic in terms of technical difficulties/staff organization. My interview was suppose to start at 1pm and got in 10 minutes later in which I had to wait an additional 5-10 additional minutes to wait for another professor who did not even show up.

I agree that the interview was pleasant. It was in the comfort of my home which took the edge off on my end. It also seemed that way for the two faculty interviewing me. I feel like the interview was very fast honestly. I was able to ask 2 questions before I was promoted that we were running short on time. Thirty minutes was the length of time I spent talking with faculty to be precise. I agree that the 1 hour time allotted for the essay seemed a bit short considering it needed to be hand written. Overall I was not very impressed with the information provided to me. I assumed I would receive knowledge over the program. A PDF or PowerPoint of some sort that would include tuition cost breakdowns, resources available on campus, info. Over student organizations.

Interview portion: My previous experience was more pleasant. I got to converse with a lot of the faculty but this time instead of speaking to multiple staff, it was only 2. Too make things worse, one of the other professors had an unexpected situation and couldn't interview me? I felt like it was unfair. I had a professor that interviewed me last time around interview me yesterday and she remembered me. She told me she threw away her interview questions and stated she was going to ask me a brand new set. I still felt comfortable but threw me on the spot.

Essay prompt:I felt very rushed during the essay process because this time it was ZOOM based. The last time I interviewed was for the MOT program and it was an in person interview. The essay was relaxing and I was able to take my time. Although they said it was 1 hour to complete the essay, you need to take account the moment you receive your email regarding the essay prompt the essay would need to be turned in by exactly 1hr. My time was 1:45pm and I needed to turn in a finish essay at 2:45 which means I had to brainstorm for about 5 minutes and then write a hand-written paper for about 40 minutes and then scan over the images back to original email.

-I was admitted to other schools but definitely feel that this interview was hectic in terms of technical difficulties/staff organization. My interview was suppose to start at 1pm and got in 10 minutes later in which I had to wait an additional 5-10 additional minutes to wait for another professor who did not even show up.

I had my interview yesterday as well and I agree on the interview and essay process! I did have two professors though, but personally I feel like one would’ve been fine too. I’m a bit confused when you say zoom based essay, I exited zoom after the interview and now I’m wondering if I was supposed to stay online for it? I did run low on time and just submitted whatever I had though, my internet was spotty and it sent a bit late

I had my interview yesterday as well and I agree on the interview and essay process! I did have two professors though, but personally I feel like one would’ve been fine too. I’m a bit confused when you say zoom based essay, I exited zoom after the interview and now I’m wondering if I was supposed to stay online for it? I did run low on time and just submitted whatever I had though, my internet was spotty and it sent a bit late

Overall, it is what it is. The interviewer did like my stats and experience and saw how much i reflected on my last application. Since I already knew both programs being offered, she did not elaborate on the school or really get to know me. Back when I first had the face to face interview, had a tour of the facility and met the previous cohort, the overall experience made the interview more inviting and exciting in terms of feeling. Instead we spoke about covid-19, her interview questions regarded the overall OTD program, more behavioral questions than what surrounds OT is and the future plans of the OTD program. I wouldn't be surprise if my essay prompt was different than yours as well.

Hi everyone! I have my interview for May 29th for the OTD Program and excepted it back in December 2019, I didn't receive an email about a zoom interview - has this happened to anyone else due to the change in climate right now?

Not sure if my reply went through, but congrats! How long did it take for you to hear back?

Thank you! I would say about 3 weeks. I got interviewed on March 6th (on-campus) and received my acceptance notification from Mary on March 30th.

Congratulations to all of you that got accepted! I just want to give an update that I got acceptance letters for both Fall OTD 2020 and Spring MSOT 2021 on 5/13. I opted to take Fall OTD and can't wait to meet you all. Good luck to the others applying!

Congratulations to all of you that got accepted! I just want to give an update that I got acceptance letters for both Fall OTD 2020 and Spring MSOT 2021 on 5/13. I opted to take Fall OTD and can't wait to meet you all. Good luck to the others applying!
Congrats!! Can't wait to meet you! There's a facebook page if you haven't joined it yet!!

Congrats! I wish you the best on your OT school journey. If you do not mind, can you please share a bit about how the interview process went? Is it as stressful as it seems? Are they asking questions the whole time? Thank you so much!!

Thank you! I would say about 3 weeks. I got interviewed on March 6th (on-campus) and received my acceptance notification from Mary on March 30th.
Hello! If you do not mind, can you elaborate a bit on how the interview went? Approx how long was it and type of questions do they ask? Thank you and good luck!!

Hello! If you do not mind, can you elaborate a bit on how the interview went? Approx how long was it and type of questions do they ask? Thank you and good luck!!

Hi! The interview went well for me. When I got interviewed, I was placed in a group with four other applicants and we headed straight to the interview. It was basically a one-on-one interview with a faculty member (4 total) plus a current student. Once the faculty member is done interviewing the applicant, the faculty member moves to the next room to interview the next (and so on and so forth). The interview lasted for about 30mins then we went to a 15 minute campus tour (just inside the building) and the current student walked us down to the room where we did the essay. The interview questions were mostly general questions related to OT (It is good to compile a list and review those possible questions!). You can also create a separate list of questions you might want to ask about the program/campus. The interviewers are really interested in knowing your background and experiences leading to your decision to do OT. Just be yourself and you can do this!

What will be on essay? I am also applying for MOT at WCU, but have not submitted my application yet. Because I am waiting for my transcripts. It seems so many applicant already accepted into the program( many congratulations)

Hi! The interview went well for me. When I got interviewed, I was placed in a group with four other applicants and we headed straight to the interview. It was basically a one-on-one interview with a faculty member (4 total) plus a current student. Once the faculty member is done interviewing the applicant, the faculty member moves to the next room to interview the next (and so on and so forth). The interview lasted for about 30mins then we went to a 15 minute campus tour (just inside the building) and the current student walked us down to the room where we did the essay. The interview questions were mostly general questions related to OT (It is good to compile a list and review those possible questions!). You can also create a separate list of questions you might want to ask about the program/campus. The interviewers are really interested in knowing your background and experiences leading to your decision to do OT. Just be yourself and you can do this!
First, congratulation that your application is selected and you interview. So, You went to WCU for interview? The college campus is open now?

First, congratulation that your application is selected and you interview. So, You went to WCU for interview? The college campus is open now?

Thank you! I got interviewed on campus last March 6th and got my acceptance letter on March 30th. I think that the campus is still closed right now. Everything is being delivered online.

Thank you!! It was my second time applying and I was reaaally far down the waitlist last year!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your ranking on the waitlist? And how long did you wait to hear if you got accepted from the waitlist or not?

Thank you! I submitted my applications in November and interviewed for both two weeks ago.

Congratulations! I hope this isn't too invasive, do you mind sharing your stats? WCU is my top choice, but I do not have confidence in my cumulative GPA and volunteer experience.

Congratulations! I hope this isn't too invasive, do you mind sharing your stats? WCU is my top choice, but I do not have confidence in my cumulative GPA and volunteer experience.
Honestly, don't feel discouraged because of your GPA! I've seen several people with a 3.0 GPA get admitted & even a few B's in pre-req coursework! I feel Volunteer hours matter more for WCU. Just make sure you have about 80 and you should be fine.
Feel free to message me if you have questions.. I'd love to help a fellow OT out.

Honestly, don't feel discouraged because of your GPA! I've seen several people with a 3.0 GPA get admitted & even a few B's in pre-req coursework! I feel Volunteer hours matter more for WCU. Just make sure you have about 80 and you should be fine.
Feel free to message me if you have questions.. I'd love to help a fellow OT out.
Thank you so so much! I'm currently struggling in getting hold on an OT I shadowed under and she hasn't responded.

Hi! Do you recommend also applying for the Doctorate of Occupational Therapy Program? I am currently on the waitlist for the MSOT. Did you use the same SOP for both?

Hi! Do you recommend also applying for the Doctorate of Occupational Therapy Program? I am currently on the waitlist for the MSOT. Did you use the same SOP for both?
Hi! To be honest, I only applied for MSOT. I don't know much information about the OTD program but i am aware they are separate applications. Best of luck!

Thank you so so much! I'm currently struggling in getting hold on an OT I shadowed under and she hasn't responded.
I was on the same boat! This is bc of Covid most clinics are utlilizing teletherapy or are currently closed.

• Care
Does anyone know if we need to fill out/apply for financial aid before our appts in September?