You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Western 2013 - Who's Applying?
Started by Pomona2006
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
alas, no news here either! I was waitlisted last year and had received my interview invitation via email Dec 20, 2007....hmmm not sure why their taking a little longer this cycle, but hopefully we'll get some good news soon![]()
I am sure you will start hearing pretty soon
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got that email too!
Not sure if this was ever posted but here are the new prereqs for 2009:
1. min 2.75 overall, science and cum GPA
2. biochem OR physiological chem
3. 3 upper div bio and life sciences w/ at least one ud lab
4. physiology (w or w/o lab) replaces nutrition
5. nutrition highly recomm for ud bio req
6. genetics OR molecular bio
7. stats OR calculus
8. 1 year of english comp
9. written comm in science or tech not required 😀
10. oral comm changed to public speaking OR sm group comm
11. 3 required courses in humanities
12. Global cultural/financial perspectives NOT required 😀
Too bad the change didn't come this year, but we'll get in so no need to worry about next year apps! 😉
I have to say that I'm bummed that the requirements are more reasonable for next year's applicants. I took a Race and Culture class as an undergraduate and they won't count it because in the class we only covered American cultures. I had to tell them that I'm going to take a basic anthropology class in the summer session (unfortunately that will be while I'm writing my MS thesis)...sorry for all of those who are in the same boat
I have to say that I'm bummed that the requirements are more reasonable for next year's applicants. I took a Race and Culture class as an undergraduate and they won't count it because in the class we only covered American cultures. I had to tell them that I'm going to take a basic anthropology class in the summer session (unfortunately that will be while I'm writing my MS thesis)...sorry for all of those who are in the same boat
You have to realize that they are a new school and are trying to figure out what requirements they really need (you should have seen the requirements for my class...)
The reason they are changing/have changed the requirements has to do with the fact that they are receptive to their students feedback and are trying to establish their own requirements which suit them well as an institution. 🙂
Just got interview invite too! But, it was by email 😀
EEEEKKK!!!! I just got an interview tooo!!!!!! By email as well and I am OOS 🙂 SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!! 

I too recieved an invite (phone call) today!yippeeee!
I'm OOS (east) so they wanted to give me enough time to plan...I'm sure more emails (or phone calls) will be going out next week, good luck everyone!!!
That's so weird, because I'm OOS East too, but I got an email.....hmm I wonder if that means anything, lol.
I'm from the east too and I got an email not a phone call...
Did you all ever answer any prefer contact by... type questions on the main app or supplement? That would be my guess.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you all ever answer any prefer contact by... type questions on the main app or supplement? That would be my guess.
Their supplemental was sooooo long that I can't really remember if they did or not. But that's not a bad idea, that probably is what they did. Good thinking! lol. 👍
Does anyone know when they will start contacting in-state applicants for interviews?
Has anyone in-state hear at all from them? I'm a brand new member and I too had an interview last year, waitlisted...and yes and here again for another round. But from the e-mails we all got they actually should be sending out invitations by this week and absolute lastest by next week because they said that interviews will be held at the end of january and notices of invitation will be sent 1-2 weeks before then.
I'm in-state (but currently doing vet work in Central America) and I haven't heard a peep from Western. Hopefully good news is on its way...and soon!
I'm in-state (but currently doing vet work in Central America) and I haven't heard a peep from Western. Hopefully good news is on its way...and soon!
Pomona2006 and to everyone else that hasn't heard back yet...the week isn't over yet so i'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon!



Im in-state too and nothing! It's killing me. I was actually accepted last year but had to withdraw, but I got my interview notification from them last year on Jan 22. Hopefully they wont take that long this year.
Just as a clarification, with Western everyone is in the same applicant pool, there is no such thing as IS and OOS for application or tuition purposes.
Im thinking that most of those who have heard something from Western are out of staters...and they might have contacted them first because they have to make more serious travel arrangements ... not sure if that is logical to everyone else, but it would make sense to me. As someone who lives 30 minutes from the school, getting over there does not take that much planning. Hopefully we will hear good news soon!
Im thinking that most of those who have heard something from Western are out of staters...and they might have contacted them first because they have to make more serious travel arrangements ... not sure if that is logical to everyone else, but it would make sense to me. As someone who lives 30 minutes from the school, getting over there does not take that much planning. Hopefully we will hear good news soon!
So Pomona2006, are you living in LA now? Is it really only 30 minutes from Pomona? I'm just wondering if I'll be able to check out LA while I'm there for my interview. Do you have any suggestions of what I could do/see while I'm there? I've never been to California before! I'll only have from 2pm until the end of that day to explore around though.
Hey everyone.... just wanted to take a minute or two out of studying to wish you all the best of luck on your interviews. I didn't hear until the end of January that I got an interview and I was from the East coast. My interview was scheduled for the second week of February. Don't panic everyone hear at Western are really nice and the interviews are really layed back...they want to see your personality.....
See you all in the next couple of weeks....(I will be helping with interviews)
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
See you all in the next couple of weeks....(I will be helping with interviews)
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Hey everyone.... just wanted to take a minute or two out of studying to wish you all the best of luck on your interviews. I didn't hear until the end of January that I got an interview and I was from the East coast. My interview was scheduled for the second week of February. Don't panic everyone hear at Western are really nice and the interviews are really layed back...they want to see your personality.....
See you all in the next couple of weeks....(I will be helping with interviews)
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Hi mdnghtdnc - I'm pretty excited about the interview! I was waitlisted last year and do remember the process was very laid back. But I was stumped/rambled on one or two of the interview questions - wasn't very prepared for "behavioral" type questions. Fully preparing now though... So I've scheduled the interview for a Friday so I'll have the weekend to explore pomona. Any suggestions on where to find housing/best area's to live in Pomona? Ok ok, i'm probably counting chickens here! But I want to make the most out of my time while I'm there....now I gotta find some wood to knock on... 😛
Thanks!
So Pomona2006, are you living in LA now? Is it really only 30 minutes from Pomona? I'm just wondering if I'll be able to check out LA while I'm there for my interview. Do you have any suggestions of what I could do/see while I'm there? I've never been to California before! I'll only have from 2pm until the end of that day to explore around though.
Hey TurtleLover! I live here (LA), and I'd recommend stopping by the Venice Beach boardwalk (if the weather's nice)--it'll be on your way back to LAX (if that's where you're flying out of). Or you could go to the Santa Monica Pier (a little further north, along the beach). Venice Beach was where I "landed" when I first moved out here--so that was my first taste of LA. Unfortunately, it's lost some of its uniqueness, since it's been gentrified/yuppified in the past few years. But I'd still suggest a stroll through there. I hope you have fun!

Has anyone heard of anyone hearing anything after Jan. 9th? It seems like all the interview invites went out then. Im in-state and heard nothing back. Im getting really impatient!

So Pomona2006, are you living in LA now? Is it really only 30 minutes from Pomona? I'm just wondering if I'll be able to check out LA while I'm there for my interview. Do you have any suggestions of what I could do/see while I'm there? I've never been to California before! I'll only have from 2pm until the end of that day to explore around though.
Hey Turtlelover -
LA is close enough for you to drive, perhaps. Depends where you're flying into/out of. The closest airport to Western is Ontario Intl. but that is far from most of the interesting stuff in LA. Catnapper suggested some popular things for people do do when they come in from out of town. Those areas can be a bit hectic and busy, but I'm sure you'll be happy to visit the *hopefully* sunny beach during your visit. Expect it to take you 1 to 1.5 hours to drive from Western to the beach. Where I live it's about a 30-45 minute drive to Western depending on traffic but I am in Pasadena, CA. If you wanted to catch a bite to eat and like Italian food, I'd recommend http://www.cotrattoria.com/ - they are literally 20 feet from a beach so if you wanted to walk around on the beach and get some food, it might be a nice idea. It's on the border between Venice and Marina del Rey. Not sure what you're up to otherwise...there's plenty to do, it just depends on your taste.
Heck, if I manage to pull off an interview, maybe I'll have the pleasure of showing some of you around the area.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice guys! I might try and do something besides the beach...since I'm from Florida and work on the beach every summer...🙂
On another note, I was wondering, does anyone know if I should expect the PBL exercise we are doing at the interview to be veterinary medicine based, or something else? I'm a little worried about that because my experience is not technician based, the most was tech assistant, so I'm not as knowledgeable as many of you techs out there.
On another note, I was wondering, does anyone know if I should expect the PBL exercise we are doing at the interview to be veterinary medicine based, or something else? I'm a little worried about that because my experience is not technician based, the most was tech assistant, so I'm not as knowledgeable as many of you techs out there.
If you're not in the mood for the beach but might want to be outside, try going to Griffith Park...there's lots to do there. There's the LA Zoo, the Griffith Observatory, hiking, etc. The view from the observatory is awesome You can see the hollywood sign, downtown LA, and on a clear day even the ocean from up there - and it's free to go there.
hey turtlelover - The PBL session I went to last month during a tour was nothing I've ever experienced before! As a group, you work out the problem step by step via a specific Western system. The amount of information my group produced was overwhelming. Our scenerio was large animal/farm based and I didn't have much experience in that field - my undergrad didn't have an Ag program, but I still contributed to the session; just asked some common sense questions. I don't want to ruin it for you cuz I think my explanation is kinda vague, but I think you'll do great just ask questions and contribute to the discussion, if you keep an open mind, PBL format can be alot of fun!
Prob didn't answer your question, just rambled sorry.... but just have fun w/ it, they won't expect you to know specific diseases, meds, diagnoses. Actually, the point isn't necessarily to diagnose but to learn the basics.
Argh, rambling again.
NeWAY, HOpe that helps!
Prob didn't answer your question, just rambled sorry.... but just have fun w/ it, they won't expect you to know specific diseases, meds, diagnoses. Actually, the point isn't necessarily to diagnose but to learn the basics.
Argh, rambling again.
NeWAY, HOpe that helps!
I sent an e-mail to Western asking about notifications last week and on friday they responded:
"If you are selected for an interview you will be notified by phone and/or e-mail within the next two weeks. If you are not selected for an interview you will receive a letter in the mail within the next two weeks."
So I guess e-mails are good but letters are bad. Good luck everyone! I still haven't heard anything either!
"If you are selected for an interview you will be notified by phone and/or e-mail within the next two weeks. If you are not selected for an interview you will receive a letter in the mail within the next two weeks."
So I guess e-mails are good but letters are bad. Good luck everyone! I still haven't heard anything either!
This process is getting pretty depressing. Amazing that some of you are interviewing in just a few days and yet some of us are completely in the dark. I hate being in the dark...
Thanks for the advice guys! I might try and do something besides the beach...since I'm from Florida and work on the beach every summer...🙂
On another note, I was wondering, does anyone know if I should expect the PBL exercise we are doing at the interview to be veterinary medicine based, or something else? I'm a little worried about that because my experience is not technician based, the most was tech assistant, so I'm not as knowledgeable as many of you techs out there.
I was sitting in your shoes last year...relax you will do fine. The excercise is to introduce you to the PBL process. Last year the PBL excercise was about a random catepillar (sp?) any way it was counted towards performance or anything like that. So just once again relax..have fun at the interview...they want to see your personality shine through. Good Luck.... I will be one of the students leading you guys around and answering questions.... Good luck to everyone!
Hi mdnghtdnc - I'm pretty excited about the interview! I was waitlisted last year and do remember the process was very laid back. But I was stumped/rambled on one or two of the interview questions - wasn't very prepared for "behavioral" type questions. Fully preparing now though... So I've scheduled the interview for a Friday so I'll have the weekend to explore pomona. Any suggestions on where to find housing/best area's to live in Pomona? Ok ok, i'm probably counting chickens here! But I want to make the most out of my time while I'm there....now I gotta find some wood to knock on... 😛
Thanks!
You have to be careful where you go in downtown Pamona...it is not a safe place to be wondering around.... I live in Claremont and it is a really nice area.... Montclair, La Verne, Chino Hills, Rancho, and SOME parts of Pomona are really good. There are two apartment complexes right night to the school plus the Helix.... I hear they are all pretty good as well. Hope that helps you out a little.
Has anyone heard of anyone hearing anything after Jan. 9th? It seems like all the interview invites went out then. Im in-state and heard nothing back. Im getting really impatient!![]()
Amen.

I just got an interview invite from Western by email. I really wanted to go, but all the spots are in the last two weeks of January and I already have two interviews in the last two weeks of January. Add to the fact that I was already accepted at Ohio, and I'm not sure I can justify spending more money and taking more time off to go. Now I have to make a hard decision.
Hopefully they'll be sending some more emails out today to everyone on SDN!
Hopefully they'll be sending some more emails out today to everyone on SDN!

Congrats! It's good to hear that invites are still going out as I am also waiting for something from Western.
This process is getting pretty depressing. Amazing that some of you are interviewing in just a few days and yet some of us are completely in the dark. I hate being in the dark...
I TOTALLY agree. It's pretty frustrating considering my school is 10 minutes away from western yet I have NO clue what is going on.

People say no news is good news so we shall see....

You have to be careful where you go in downtown Pamona...it is not a safe place to be wondering around.... I live in Claremont and it is a really nice area.... Montclair, La Verne, Chino Hills, Rancho, and SOME parts of Pomona are really good. There are two apartment complexes right night to the school plus the Helix.... I hear they are all pretty good as well. Hope that helps you out a little.
Hey thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to checking out those areas! Last year, I looked into the Helix and it was pricey but the apt's were really nice, but the safety issue is something to consider...by any chance do know if the train takes you to any of those areas you mentioned above or how often it runs?
You can get to Claremont via the Metrolink train. Depending on the time of day trains run at various times but usually at least 1 per hour. Just get off the train and walk around the Claremont Village, they've got some yummy places to eat and you can easily stroll by the beautiful Claremont Colleges Campus (my alma mater)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow...so sorry to hear that vetgirl. Gosh, I hate the thought of rejection letters, yet somehow expect to receive 3 (1 for each school I applied to)...
Keep strong...
Keep strong...
Hey thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to checking out those areas! Last year, I looked into the Helix and it was pricey but the apt's were really nice, but the safety issue is something to consider...by any chance do know if the train takes you to any of those areas you mentioned above or how often it runs?
Not sure about the metro becuase I have never taken it...but the bus system is ok. I take the bus a couple times a week...and sometimes even more. The website for the bus is... http://www.foothilltransit.org/. You can go to their schedule page and see when they run and to where.... most of the places I mentioned I know they have routes to... hope this helps.
Very kind of you karmapple 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 301
yippeeee!