Western 2013 - Who's Applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IMO, it was really nice and laid-back. Don't stress, seriously! Just relax and be yourself - that's what they want to see / hear about.

They give you a tour and you get to speak with students and ask them whatever you want. The PBL session was also really great - gives you an idea of what you're getting yourself into if you get accepted and decide to attend.
 
The PBL session was a group thing - they made us all feel very comfortable when going through it - participation wasn't mandatory and it wasn't like they were sitting there noting who was participating and who wasn't. It was completely for us, the interviewees, to determine whether their curriculum/style is something we feel comfortable with.

And no, I do not live in Pomona, CA. I live about 30 minutes West, in Pasadena, CA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
looking forward to some warm weather. going out for interview next friday from east coast. i meant to say how was the behavioral interview questions--were they challenging?
 
graduated penn state a couple of years ago. could not make the rose bowl however. pasadena must be gorgeous. is western your first choice since you are so close?
 
The weather the past few days has been kinda rainy and dreary around here, but it was beautiful on Monday when I interviewed - next week might be better. It's still warm though - 70s or higher. Living in Pasadena is great and the Rose Parade and Bowl are awesome - I actually went to the rose bowl this year (my first time!) - I was rooting for Penn State even though virtually everyone I know out here is from USC. But to answer your question, yes, Western is my first choice because of it's proximity to me (and the weather!).

As for behavioral interview questions - I didn't find them very challenging - just take a look at the interview feedback and you'll be perfectly prepared.
 
Aww thanks rachroo! 🙂 Congrats on being accepted to Ohio!!! Your on your way of becoming a doctor!! I wish you the best of luck at Ohio. I work with a new graduate of OSU CVM and she LOVED it there! I've heard nothing but good things about Ohio.
 
FYI: I found a confirmation email in my inbox on Monday morning.
It looks like this is the only interview I will be getting this cycle. :scared:

You're not applying to Davis? 🙁

Hope everyone's interviews go/went well!
 
looking forward to some warm weather. going out for interview next friday from east coast. i meant to say how was the behavioral interview questions--were they challenging?

:laugh: I'll be out there next Friday too for the interview, wannabeavet! I'm getting anxious just thinking about it! woohoo
Congrats and good luck! :luck:
 
The weather the past few days has been kinda rainy and dreary around here, but it was beautiful on Monday when I interviewed - next week might be better. It's still warm though - 70s or higher. Living in Pasadena is great and the Rose Parade and Bowl are awesome - I actually went to the rose bowl this year (my first time!) - I was rooting for Penn State even though virtually everyone I know out here is from USC. But to answer your question, yes, Western is my first choice because of it's proximity to me (and the weather!).

As for behavioral interview questions - I didn't find them very challenging - just take a look at the interview feedback and you'll be perfectly prepared.

Yes, I would have to agree with Pomona2006. Just look up behavioral questions and you will be fine. They are not that hard because you are just answering questions about yourself. You don't need to know current events and what's going on in the vet world, per se. Good luck to those awaiting your interviews!
 
You're not applying to Davis? 🙁

Did, just because they're IS, but I have snowball's chance in hell of even getting an interview--despite all of my efforts, I haven't been able to get my GRE math score out of the crapper. So I'm not even thinking about Davis--or Wisconsin, for that matter. And the only reason I applied to Cornell was because they were calling people off the reject list last year--well, that and the hope that I'd get in due to an administrative error! 😀
 
Catnapper you make me laugh. I am 27 and I dont think 35 (your next year) makes you too old. Your going to be 39 anyway right? So you might as well be doing something you love. PS. I think I got an interview after everyone they REALLY wanted to interview declined. I JUST got the e-mail Jan 20 I think and I am flying in from Washington DC. HA. Feb 6 I will BE THERE 🙂
 
IMO, it was really nice and laid-back. Don't stress, seriously! Just relax and be yourself - that's what they want to see / hear about.

They give you a tour and you get to speak with students and ask them whatever you want. The PBL session was also really great - gives you an idea of what you're getting yourself into if you get accepted and decide to attend.

I really liked the students who led my group (last year) around/talked to us, and the PBL session was nice (at the end of the program they fed us lunch while we went through an example PBL session). However, my interviewers were completely stone-faced. I was under the impression that that was part of the behavior-based interview approach: to psyche you out. So when I hear about people having a relaxed interview, I wonder if I pulled the short straw with my interviewers (??). One of the current students who spoke to us said he talked about sports in his interview. --But then dudes could respond in dog barks and still walk into the school of their choice at this point. I kid you not, there was one guy there (Western) at my interview day in khakis. He probably got in.
 
Catnapper you make me laugh. I am 27 and I dont think 35 (your next year) makes you too old. Your going to be 39 anyway right? So you might as well be doing something you love. PS. I think I got an interview after everyone they REALLY wanted to interview declined. I JUST got the e-mail Jan 20 I think and I am flying in from Washington DC. HA. Feb 6 I will BE THERE 🙂

You go, girlfriend!:highfive:--And that's not sarcasm! Keep that positive attitude (where can I get one of those?)! I think it helps.
 
"And thats not sarcasm," LOL THANKS, I deserved that 🙂. I tryed to PM you Catnapper but I dont think it worked? I am new to this whole SDN thing...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:laugh: I'll be out there next Friday too for the interview, wannabeavet! I'm getting anxious just thinking about it! woohoo
Congrats and good luck! :luck:

Hey Robeezy. I just noticed that you were from philly. I am too. I live in center city. maybe we can meet up on friday at Western. I'm getting anxious as well, but I am also really excited to see the school. good luck if I don't talk to you!
 
I had my interview on the 20th and it was really fun. I met some great people that were also getting interviewed. No boys there that day though :-( . If you were there that day, hit me up.
 
I had my interview on the 20th and it was really fun. I met some great people that were also getting interviewed. No boys there that day though :-( . If you were there that day, hit me up.


Hey, I was there on the 20th too! I'm guessing you were the PM session though because there was a guy in our AM session....it was a lot of fun though and I really enjoyed the school and all of the effort they put in to teaching us about their school and them trying to impress us as well!
 
turtlelover and pomona2006,

I can't believe how long we will have to wait now to find out. But good luck to both of you!
 
turtlelover and pomona2006,

I can't believe how long we will have to wait now to find out. But good luck to both of you!


Haha, so now I'm guessing you were at the AM session! I know, its soooo long! Thanks and good luck to you too! (and welcome to SDN also!)
 
Hey Robeezy. I just noticed that you were from philly. I am too. I live in center city. maybe we can meet up on friday at Western. I'm getting anxious as well, but I am also really excited to see the school. good luck if I don't talk to you!

Really??? From Philly and interviewing on Friday, what are the odds?! LOL. Hey I'll attempt to PM you (havent done that yet on SDN) But I think meetn up sounds great! ...have some coffee, chat and get all our nervous energy out (I'm chatty when I'm nervous, lol!) :laugh:
 
I'm very nervous now, even though my interview is more than 24 hours away. At this very moment, I'm worried about the 6-hour drive to Pomona rather than the interview itself. Example: What if I fall off a cliff on I-5?! 😱

Actually, I just want to say thanks to everyone who shared your experience with Western here. None of my friends is applying to Western, so I felt left out. But reading your posts makes me feel better. Best of luck to everyone!😀

I'm revisiting my blog entries, especially those written on my first days of the past internships/jobs/volunteer positions. It reminds me of what I learned, and how I felt about whatever was going on. Hopefully that will come in handy during the behavioral interview.
 
Anyone interviewing on TUE at 1115am?? I am and I am N-E-R-V-O-U-S... My friends and I have been interview prepping this past weekend and thy are all prepared and I am not!!🙁
When we ask each other questions they are very good at answering and i kind of just stare at them and not stare at them at the same time... I find it difficult to maintain eye contact especially if I am nervous... Man am I screwed.... 👎..
Any who, enough about me... just to let you all know weather here has not been well ( I go to school in Pomona). I believe the high for Tue is 67 F so sorry if SoCal doesnt live up to its reputation this week!!
 
Jkim--Join the club! I didn't practice at all last year, with the assumption that I'd just answer all of their questions honestly, like I would in any conversation. Whoops. If it makes you feel any better, I ran into a gal who remembered me from last year's interview day. She got in. I asked her if she prepared and she said no. But then, maybe she's extraordinarily confident(?).
I know it doesn't help, but take some deep breaths and relax. I'll be there soon after you (also) hyperventillating--especially since I've been rejected by them before!. :luck:!
 
Don't worry everyone is in the same boat with the nervous thing. I had my interview this morning and everyone in my group said they felt the same way after the interview. Everyone left thinking why didn't i say this?! But, I think it's mostly about seeing your personality and that you are a real person and not some boring unsocial hermit. Everyone was really nice and seemed genuinely happy to talk to us.
 
But, I think it's mostly about seeing your personality and that you are a real person and not some boring unsocial hermit. Everyone was really nice and seemed genuinely happy to talk to us.

:hello: boring unsocial hermit, and Western grad here....oops they let that one slip threw the cracks😛
 
:hello: boring unsocial hermit, and Western grad here....oops they let that one slip threw the cracks😛


haha, i don't know why, but that totally just made my day!

So how do you rate Western as a graduate now? Love it, hate it, neutral? And if you don't mind me asking, what was your favorite and least favorite part in vet school there?
 
haha, i don't know why, but that totally just made my day!

So how do you rate Western as a graduate now? Love it, hate it, neutral? And if you don't mind me asking, what was your favorite and least favorite part in vet school there?

Just had to make a point for us quiet people..ahemI am rally NOT quiet but you have to initiate a conversation for me to talk

It is a love/hate relationship. Favorite by far was the clinical experience. Least favorite was "hell week" (AKA exam week during PBL).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone....for those of you that still haven't herd from Western it was brought to the current student attention that they have added two more interview dates in February! Good Luck to you all, and I am sure I will see a lot of you roaming the campus as I have been the past week and a half.
 
I haven't heard a thing! I'm trying to refrain myself from picking up the phone and dialing their number! 🙂
 
I had my interview Monday. It really helped to look-up behavioral based interview questions online. Just google it. I didn't even know what behavioral based interviews were. I guess they just want you to tell your situation, how you reacted in it and what the outcome is. The idea is that the best predictor of past behavior is future behavior. Good luck to everyone🙂
 
I haven't heard a thing! I'm trying to refrain myself from picking up the phone and dialing their number! 🙂

If you haven't contacted the school in awhile...it may be a good idea to call and find out where your application stands. There maybe something wrong..ie missing document or something...e-mailed letter to wrong address...etc.... mistakes happen and it doesn't hurt to check.
 
If you haven't contacted the school in awhile...it may be a good idea to call and find out where your application stands. There maybe something wrong..ie missing document or something...e-mailed letter to wrong address...etc.... mistakes happen and it doesn't hurt to check.

I was told awhile back that I was missing a few items, and after getting those in I was told my application was complete and would soon be reviewed by the admissions committee. I sent an email to my admissions counselor Jan 16th asking for my application status and received no reply. This is very strange since she usually responds within 24 hrs. I'm going to call tomorrow 😉
 
Hi all. I got done with my interview today. I am so glad it is over. I was glad that my two interviewers where so friendly and personable.

It was good to see DollyyLlama and JKIM02 there. Hope it went well for you guys too.:hello:
 
Hi all. I got done with my interview today. I am so glad it is over. I was glad that my two interviewers where so friendly and personable.

It was good to see DollyyLlama and JKIM02 there. Hope it went well for you guys too.:hello:

Hey Pitbull Lover!! It was nice meeting you and Dollyyllama! It was so great to see you guys' friendly faces when I first got there considering how nervous I was!! Unfortunately I was the 2nd to last person they interviewed the entire day so I was pretty nervous the entire time we were there. The suspense of the inpending interview was a heck of alot more nerve wracking than the actual interview itself! :laugh:

My interview was actually suprisingly relaxing. We had a lot of laughs and my ******* totally forgot how to say reverance for life philosphy and I said "no reverance philosophy!" :smack:We all had a laugh about that one and hopefully they didnt hold it against me... Talk about your brain farts at the most inopportune time. Oh well what's done is done.

To all of you who still have interviews.. GOOD LUCK! just relax because despite being nervous all day due to my interview time, I actually had fun today.🙂
 
Given how most people on here have been saying how well their interviews went, it's driving me a little crazy that so many of us could easily have done well in the interview and yet not get in (or get waitlisted).

Anyone think they screwed up at any point in their interview or hear people talking on interview day about how they think they botched their interview?

I can only imagine that us SDNers are a little ahead of the game with the interview feedback and all. Here's hoping! :xf:
 
Well, I'm the next victim on here, I guess! I go tomorrow! :scared: I think this time if they ask me (at the end of the interview) if I have anything to add, I'll just start begging for them to let me in! 😛
 
Weather's been aweful in some parts of the country so good luck and safe travels to everyone heading over to cali! I'll be there Friday for an AM session.

Pomona2006 - I was waitlisted last year and was told that my app looked good. I was taking animal nutrition at the time (distance learning) so I'm thinking that played some role in the waitlist decision. Honestly though, diversity is really important at Western so my best guess is that they already had a well balanced class last year.

According to a previous post, re-applicants are being scrutinized a little more this cycle, so I'm hoping I'll make the cut this time around!
:luck:
 
Thanks for your response, robeezy08! I'm guessing that if you were waitlisted you did perfectly well in the interview but it might have just been the diversity issue that didn't get you a spot last year. I know diversity is seemingly a big deal for them, but did you think you came off as not being "diverse" in your application?

I am sitting here wondering to myself whether I come off as adding diversity. As a non-trad, people around me tell me that my background is my diversity...but I'm not completely sold on that idea.

Any thoughts?
 
Well, I'm the next victim on here, I guess! I go tomorrow! :scared: I think this time if they ask me (at the end of the interview) if I have anything to add, I'll just start begging for them to let me in! 😛


:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:!!!!!
 
Thanks for your response, robeezy08! I'm guessing that if you were waitlisted you did perfectly well in the interview but it might have just been the diversity issue that didn't get you a spot last year. I know diversity is seemingly a big deal for them, but did you think you came off as not being "diverse" in your application?

I am sitting here wondering to myself whether I come off as adding diversity. As a non-trad, people around me tell me that my background is my diversity...but I'm not completely sold on that idea.

Any thoughts?

I def consider myself an applicant who can add diversity to their incoming class not just from my prevet experiences but also personal stuff too. However I'm just not sure how they actually pick each class. Is there a ratio of male to female they perfer? How many SA, LA, Lab animal, exotic, research vets are they truly looking for in each class? Do they want a good ration of traditional vs. nontraditional students? Its hard to say...
I'd like to add that as far as being waitlisted, I think the only way you can be pulled from the list is if someone w/ your EXACT qualifications drops the program; so the list isn't ranked, at least it wasn't last year. Again, emphasizing how important diversity is to Western.
Not that I think you'll be waitlisted! But just a thought from my experience last year. Stay positive! You can always PM me too and we can compare notes!
 
Just had to make a point for us quiet people..ahemI am rally NOT quiet but you have to initiate a conversation for me to talk

It is a love/hate relationship. Favorite by far was the clinical experience. Least favorite was "hell week" (AKA exam week during PBL).

haha trust me I'm a pretty shy person myself, no offense intended. Besides, no one who actually is that boring would know they were :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd like to add that as far as being waitlisted, I think the only way you can be pulled from the list is if someone w/ your EXACT qualifications drops the program; so the list isn't ranked, at least it wasn't last year. Again, emphasizing how important diversity is to Western.
Not that I think you'll be waitlisted! But just a thought from my experience last year. Stay positive! You can always PM me too and we can compare notes!

At the end of our session Karen got up and talked about admissions. She said they don't have any sort of trend at all in all of the previous years admissions. And the way the wait list works is that they have to send the entire pool of people back over to the dean to be gone through again once they have a considerable amount of people rejecting their acceptances. It definitely sounds like there is no set way to tell who will get in based on experience, grades, etc. She even commented that she had no idea! Hopefully we're all just diverse enough to make the cut. Good luck to everyone! The wait may kill me
 
Good luck with your interviews!

as a side note...on tuesday, did anyone else see that tall asian guy with spikey hair in the pinstripe suit? *drools*
 
Given how most people on here have been saying how well their interviews went, it's driving me a little crazy that so many of us could easily have done well in the interview and yet not get in (or get waitlisted).

Anyone think they screwed up at any point in their interview or hear people talking on interview day about how they think they botched their interview?

I can only imagine that us SDNers are a little ahead of the game with the interview feedback and all. Here's hoping! :xf:

I guess it's because of the behavioral nature of the interview. I find it much easier to talk about my past rather than hypothetical questions in traditional interviews like "how will you further your profession."

I know I was being honest (and therefore confident) when answering behavioral questions, so in this sense, I think I did well in my interview. My interviewers were very friendly and approachable, but it could be that they were just being professional. They may think that I'm not suitable for their PBL program based on my past experiences. I would never know... until March 15 that is.

The second-year students mentioned that one of their classmate's cell phone went off during the interview, and he or she still got in in the end. Same for another who cried, and another who accidentally used a swearword. I bet these would be catastrophic for traditional interviews, but perhaps not so much for behavioral ones.
 
Last edited:
Good luck with your interviews!

as a side note...on tuesday, did anyone else see that tall asian guy with spikey hair in the pinstripe suit? *drools*

Hahahahhahaha, it's funny that today I decided to read the Western thread for no reason since I'm not applying there, and I find YOUR post.

I knew you'd give in at some point... Found you!😀

I am glad that you weren't "the guy in khakis" though... I guess I should know you have way more style than that!

I'm sure you rocked your interview, and here's a clover for GOOD LUCK!:luck: