You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Western 2013 - Who's Applying?
Started by Pomona2006
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yipeee!! Me too!! Congratulations and goodluck everyone!😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how long it took Western last year to notify interviewers on acceptances/rejections after the interview date? I don't know how to look up previous years threads.
On another note: Have any of you who got email invites today received a time/date confirmation yet? My outgoing email's on the fritz, & I want to make sure they got my reply.![]()
I responded to my invitation hours ago and have not recieved a confirmation yet. Glad I'm not the only one.
We got snail mail on March 17th. It might be sooner this year, since they've bumped up their interview dates (they were in early Feb. last year).
Aww man that's such a long time between the two! I wish it were quicker like some of these other schools we've seen like Ohio and whatnot where they found out a day or two later!
No kidding - I hate the waiting game. I didn't mind it until the last week or so. Now the thought of interviewing so soon and not hearing for so long is kind of scary...
I got an interview invite today too! Along with another friend. We're both out of state (IN and IL). Congrats everyone!
And this is one of those schools where you know right away from the envelope thickness whether it's 👎 or 👍.
I came home from a weekend in Vegas to a thin envelope.
Have they changed the acceptances??? Mine was a thin envelope with a more info to come and website info....
Have they changed the acceptances??? Mine was a thin envelope with a more info to come and website info....
Hey Chris... I got accepted last year and am now a student... I got a thin letter in mail box... I thought I was done for.
Aww man that's such a long time between the two! I wish it were quicker like some of these other schools we've seen like Ohio and whatnot where they found out a day or two later!
It takes so long for Western because they have their own method to the maddness.... once you get through the interview and you get two votes for yes then you get put in the stack with all the others who got two yes votes....from there it is up to the dean to hand pick the class... he bases it on background, place of residence, experience, and other diversity issues. They like to have a well round diverse class. Any way I was talking to the dean a couple of weeks ago and for the students that made it through interviews last year or the year before or both are going to get more heavily weighed.....he said it is not fair for them to keep applying year after year and making it until the end of the decsions and be denied for no reason. He said this is the first year he was going to take it into account....wether he follows through with his thought is another thing...but he is usually really leveled headed and a very nice person so I am sure he will follow through.
I hope this helps the waiting process for those of you who applied and got to the interview stage at Western last year.... I know I would want to know that if I was in your place.
😳I haven't heard a thing! I've stalked the mailman all week, refreshed my inbox constantly, and even wrote them an email on Friday asking my status...no reply yet...think I'll have to wait till Monday...I'm just hoping for SOME good news! I had 3 clients today at the animal hospital tell me I should really consider becoming a vet...I told them that's exactly what I've ALWAYS wanted to be and have worked for. Sadly, it's my second applic cycle and I haven't been invited to 1 interview yet...So depressing...so far 3 rejections, on an interview waitlist, and 7 schools I haven't heard from yet 😕 Doesn't look good
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
keep your head up dreamcometrue! there's still plenty of time left 😀
it really stinks that they sent out the interview invite friday... i want to make traveling plans but haven't gotten a confirmation on the interview date yet 🙄 im not complaining though, im soooooooo excited!!!!! good luck to everyone!!!!
btw, does anyone know of a nice hotel close by Western they can recommend?
it really stinks that they sent out the interview invite friday... i want to make traveling plans but haven't gotten a confirmation on the interview date yet 🙄 im not complaining though, im soooooooo excited!!!!! good luck to everyone!!!!
btw, does anyone know of a nice hotel close by Western they can recommend?
keep your head up dreamcometrue! there's still plenty of time left 😀
it really stinks that they sent out the interview invite friday... i want to make traveling plans but haven't gotten a confirmation on the interview date yet 🙄 im not complaining though, im soooooooo excited!!!!! good luck to everyone!!!!
btw, does anyone know of a nice hotel close by Western they can recommend?
Shilo inn (there is a more pricey Shilo inn hilltop suites if you want also).
http://www.shiloinns.com/
or Cal Poly Pomona's Kellogg West is also VERY nice.
http://www.kelloggwest.org/lodging.aspx
keep your head up dreamcometrue! there's still plenty of time left 😀
it really stinks that they sent out the interview invite friday... i want to make traveling plans but haven't gotten a confirmation on the interview date yet 🙄 im not complaining though, im soooooooo excited!!!!! good luck to everyone!!!!
btw, does anyone know of a nice hotel close by Western they can recommend?
Hey, congrats on the interview! When they email you your interview date confirmation, there will be an attachment of suggested hotels to stay at nearby. Some of them have complimentary shuttles to and from the airport, and 3 of them also have a shuttle from the hotel to Western University. Shiloh Inn was one of them like mentioned already, as well as the Sheraton Suites Fairplex...which is where I'm staying 🙂
Hope that helped! And congrats once again!

Hi all, congrats on the interviews! I'll be interviewing Jan 30th (AM) and will be in town (irvine) for the weekend....any SDNer's in the area let me know and we can do brunch or something!
For everyone else still waiting for interviews (esp DreamComeTrue09!) , please don't fret b/c the cycle isn't over yet! I'll keep my fingers crossed that this week, good news will arrive!

Hey Chris... I got accepted last year and am now a student... I got a thin letter in mail box... I thought I was done for.
I guess the envelope-size-matters theory is disproven, then! Come to think of it, it might have been a rumor posted somewhere on here last year that gave me that idea! 🙄
Catnapper, robeezy08, cateyes, and mstweetie thankyou for all of your encouraging posts. I really appreciate that.
I'm guilty of constantly telling people to keep their heads up myself, but I can't even keep my own up. 😳 I'm dreading 11/11 rejections.
I'm guilty of constantly telling people to keep their heads up myself, but I can't even keep my own up. 😳 I'm dreading 11/11 rejections.
Catnapper, your post made me laugh a little. Will you really ever stop trying to get in? I don't think I could ever stop trying. I turn 23 years old in March and don't think I'll stop trying until I'm in my 40's 😉 Yup, that's me. I think 50's would be pushing it 😀 If anyone here is in there 40's or 50's applying to veterinary school, more power to you!
BTW, loved how you put it: "blizzard of rejections"
"Try, try again...until you're too old--which, for me, is next year! "
For this statement, I really hope that this is YOUR year! ::sends goodluck your way::
BTW, loved how you put it: "blizzard of rejections"
"Try, try again...until you're too old--which, for me, is next year! "
For this statement, I really hope that this is YOUR year! ::sends goodluck your way::

Thanks, DreamComeTrue!
Right back atchya! I'm 34, sick of my current job (although I should be grateful I have one, I know), my housing situation, etc., and I don't know how much longer I can keep my life in this holding pattern. On the other hand, legend has it that it takes on average, 3 attempts to get in. 🙄
Right back atchya! I'm 34, sick of my current job (although I should be grateful I have one, I know), my housing situation, etc., and I don't know how much longer I can keep my life in this holding pattern. On the other hand, legend has it that it takes on average, 3 attempts to get in. 🙄Congrats to everyone! And i think you're right that the average is 3 and I'm well on my way to that number! But has anyone heard about process this year I know today is the very first day but just thought I should ask.
p.s. those of you staying in Irvine/LA/OC be aware that if you have the morning session leave EARLY you WILL hit rush hour, one of the great things about southern cali.
p.s. those of you staying in Irvine/LA/OC be aware that if you have the morning session leave EARLY you WILL hit rush hour, one of the great things about southern cali.
Congrats to everyone! And i think you're right that the average is 3 and I'm well on my way to that number! But has anyone heard about process this year I know today is the very first day but just thought I should ask.
p.s. those of you staying in Irvine/LA/OC be aware that if you have the morning session leave EARLY you WILL hit rush hour, one of the great things about southern cali.
EARLY= like 6 am if you need to be there at 8 (then get coffee once you are there) trust me on that...
*** this applies only to those staying in Irvine/LA/OC****meaning if you need to take a freeway****
Last edited:
Has anyone recieved a confirmation email yet?
Has anyone recieved a confirmation email yet?
No, haven't heard from them yet. I emailed them on Fri, the same day i got the email for interview.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else gotten a confirmation email on their interview day? I'm getting really frustrated because I have to buy a plane ticket and it's less than a week away!
I got a confirmation on Friday 1/16 the same day that I got the invite and emailed them my preference of a date/time. If you are having trouble contacting them, try calling Karen - she and everyone else on the campus is crazy busy today (and for the next 2 weeks) with interviews, it might be best to call, even repeatedly, in addition to email.
Just got my confirmation email right now.
Still no news of interview/rejection. Emailed them on Friday and no reply yet 😕 They must be swamped with emails.
Has anyone else gotten a confirmation email on their interview day? I'm getting really frustrated because I have to buy a plane ticket and it's less than a week away!
My interview is next Tuesday morning, and I got my confirmation email this evening at 5:49pm.
The email includes a link to a pdf file listing hotels and motels near Western U that provide free services, such as transportation to and from the airport, etc. But I managed to book my accommodation at a hotel not listed on there--it's recently renovated, relatively inexpensive, has excellent customer reviews even though it's a 2-star-hotel, and it's only 1 mile away from the campus. So no worries for morning traffic, even though I'm driving.
Sorry if I'm treading on thin ice regarding advertising policies. I won't say the name of the inn, but the place is supposed to be comfortable. 😛
and it's only 1 mile away from the campus.
😛
I would be very careful of places within 1 mile of Westerns campus😳
I won't say the name of the inn, but the place is supposed to be comfortable. 😛
My interview is next Tuesday afternoon.
I guess that's where I will stay too.
My interview is next Tuesday afternoon.
I guess that's where I will stay too.
Seriously, unless you are very comfortable with very urban areas (actually I mean ghetto) I would not stay there.
This is coming from someone who grew up in downtown Los Angeles and did the rebel thing by living within 3 miles of campus when I was there.
I know this might be completely ridiculous to talk about at this time, but for those of us who have interviewed / are interviewing - Karen makes it very clear that decision letters are going to be mailed ON March 15, 2009. However, for those of us who have calendars around can look the date up and see that the 15th of March is actually a Sunday. Last I checked, the post office isn't open/doesn't do business on Sundays - so what do you think will happen?
For those of you who have interviews coming up, when Karen goes over this information during your session, it might be nice to ask about the date because it is a Sunday. See what she says. I know that more than one of us will probably be going crazy waiting for our letters to arrive in March... 😉
For those of you who have interviews coming up, when Karen goes over this information during your session, it might be nice to ask about the date because it is a Sunday. See what she says. I know that more than one of us will probably be going crazy waiting for our letters to arrive in March... 😉
Aww, DreamComeTrue, I'm sorry! I'm holding out hope, though! I'd say that if we didn't get in AGAIN this year, we should go out for drinks, but it looks like we might have to travel a ways for that to happen! 😉
I got waitlisted at Tufts last year and didn't even make the interview cut this year (I found out yesterday...after having to take my cat to the doc and then getting a speeding ticket--awesome day!). And I worked my 'tocks off this past summer and fall trying to improve my app (as I'm sure we all did). It's pretty sickening! So I'm there with you and rooting for you!
I got waitlisted at Tufts last year and didn't even make the interview cut this year (I found out yesterday...after having to take my cat to the doc and then getting a speeding ticket--awesome day!). And I worked my 'tocks off this past summer and fall trying to improve my app (as I'm sure we all did). It's pretty sickening! So I'm there with you and rooting for you!

Seriously, unless you are very comfortable with very urban areas (actually I mean ghetto) I would not stay there.
This is coming from someone who grew up in downtown Los Angeles and did the rebel thing by living within 3 miles of campus when I was there.
Really? I was wondering about that. I bet that track housing right around there's cheaper (than the Westside/SaMo!), but you might wind up paying in other ways...(?)
I could be wrong, but from how the process was explained to me by one of the faculty members at Western, when your application is complete, it is sent to two faculty members and they decide "YES" or "NO" on your application. If both say "YES" you automatically get an interview, if both say "NO" you do not get an interview, and if they disagree, your app gets sent to another faculty member that serves as a tie-breaker. From my understanding, whoever got "YES" on their app is getting interviewed - some 300+ people out of the 750 that applied. I don't know whether it is part of their process to go through the "NO" pile to get more interviews when people decline to interview as they are already interviewing so many people (300+ when there are only 100 spots).
Like I said, I don't know how they handle spots that open up when people decline interviews, I'm just relaying the info I was given by the faculty member I spoke to at the information session and interviewed with yesterday.
Like I said, I don't know how they handle spots that open up when people decline interviews, I'm just relaying the info I was given by the faculty member I spoke to at the information session and interviewed with yesterday.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really? I was wondering about that. I bet that track housing right around there's cheaper (than the Westside/SaMo!), but you might wind up paying in other ways...(?)
It was quite a culture shock for many of my classmates. Western itself is safe (they have a very nice security team) but the neighborhood is not just Pomona, but downtown.
Here look at this:
http://pomona.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm
***Disclaimer*** I felt totally safe living close the whole time (live with husband) but I grew up in downtown LA and am used to this type of neighborhood. I would not, however, stay in a hotel (even a new one) with a 1400 block Garey address...
It was quite a culture shock for many of my classmates. Western itself is safe (they have a very nice security team) but the neighborhood is not just Pomona, but downtown.
Here look at this:
http://pomona.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm
***Disclaimer*** I felt totally safe living close the whole time (live with husband) but I grew up in downtown LA and am used to this type of neighborhood. I would not, however, stay in a hotel (even a new one) with a 1400 block Garey address...
Thanks for the info! I'll take my chances and stay at that inn, but I'll definitely be more alert and careful now. 😎
wondering if anybody would say how the interview process went at western?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 299

