Western c/o 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lambgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start the Western thread and get the party started.

I have been exchanging e-mails with Western Admissions and have been totally impressed. I had a few areas that needed clarification on my supplemental and Lacey Avila has been wonderful to work with. My packet is now complete and ready for review. All my questions have been answered quickly, and Lacey has been very warm and welcoming. If anyone has else has questions don't hesitate to send them an e-mail.

Good Luck Everybody :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

oh my gosh. Lacey is awesome! She is so easy to talk to and ask questions

Has anyone else found themselves slightly rearranging the formatting on the Curriculum Vitae from the sample provided?
I've been trying to make it easier to read, but wanted to make sure that wasn't a no-no.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else found themselves slightly rearranging the formatting on the Curriculum Vitae from the sample provided?
I've been trying to make it easier to read, but wanted to make sure that wasn't a no-no.

It's just a sample. You can rearrange it however you want.

My CV is basically exactly what I put in my experiences on VMCAS... is it the same for everyone? I feel kinda silly re-using the descriptions, but I have enough essays to worry about that I'm wondering if it's okay to do that.

TT, Copy and Paste were my friends for my CV. Although with unlimited space I might add a few things that I didn't have room for on the VMCAS.

Right now I'm debating the how I'm going to improve the formatting for the bulleted lists I had in my VMCAS descriptions.

TT I thought you said you weren't applying to Western?

My CV was pretty much my VMCAS repeated. I think there was something new on there but I can't recall what. Pretty sure it was just extraneous activities that didn't really fit on the VMCAS (like motorcycle club, sailing club, ethics organization, etc.)

Well, I decided to apply after a bit. I'm mostly just scared of living in Pomona (near LA, whatever) and I decided that was a stupid reason to not apply. I thought about the PBL a lot and I actually think I learn a lot by looking things up myself now, so it seems like it would work for me.

I listed pretty much everything I could think of on VMCAS already. Hm.

My CV is a lot of repeat from VMCAS and it will also be almost identical to the one I submitted last year (I have a few things to add). Some of my answers to their questions will be the same as well, but I am changing most of them a little and changing a couple of them completely. Good Luck everyone!! :luck:

I agree, Lacy is wonderful. She makes me feel very comfortable calling and asking questions. I've got a great feeling about Western from dealing with her. Can't wait to meet everyone else there. :xf:

Hi guys,
Just wondering about your thoughts on the "additional comments" section on the essay portion of the supplemental app. Are you all putting in an additional essay here? or just a few words? or nothing at all??
Thanks!

Hi guys,
Just wondering about your thoughts on the "additional comments" section on the essay portion of the supplemental app. Are you all putting in an additional essay here? or just a few words? or nothing at all??
Thanks!

Speaking only for myself, I did not include anything in the additional comments section. I mean, after 10 additional essays, I didn't think there was much more I could say to convince them that I was a strong applicant.

I am applying and want to add that Karen in the admissions office is also very nice and helpful.

On a side note, these essays are killing me. There are three of them where I want to just say, "refer to personal statement"! Ughh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to get on this supp or I'll end up like I did with Iowa's at 6am...

ETA: I put an explanation for my 'less than full-time' semesters in the additional comments part. I should have put it in my explanation statement for all schools to see, but oh well.

Last edited:
I did not add any additional comments either. I was going to add in what I liked about Western over some of the other schools I applied to but I feel like I addressed that earlier. I mailed my application this morning. I am now done with all of the supplemental; all that is left to do is wait....:scared:.......
.................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................

:boom:

Almost done, just rounding out my last few answers. Looks like it shouldn't be a late night for me, thank goodness. There were more questions, but I'm convinced that Ohio's were just... well, HARD.

I still have to fill out the other form as well. I hope they don't want the percentages to be too scientific, lol. Also, for the required courses, could the 'math for science majors' just be calc? It's not a remedial calc, but it's a math course (obv) and not science related really. Do I need biostats or something? I kinda hope not, my schedule is pretty full.

Shame on me for not noticing that earlier. I'll just send it out like it is and see what happens, at this point.

Have you checked their pre-requisite database. You should be able to find your school on there and locate the classes that correspond with their pre-reqs. You don't need biostats. If I am correct, statistics and calculus are both fine.

Ohio's essays were AWFUL, and I still haven't decided if I'm going to use the "additional comments" space... you should use all the chance you get to show who you are, right?

I also had a hard time leaving the "have you overcome a disability" optional essay for CSU blank, even though I really don't have a disability...

I was about to seal up my packet to mail off tomorrow and noticed what looks like squished zucchini on the back of one of the pages. Oops. I wonder if they would have minded.

I found a typo and I'm leaving it. :hungover: It's only in a class though. I'm sure they'll know what I meant. :D

(I'm out of blank printer paper. Hah.)

ETA: Damnit, I said I wouldn't be up late. I have two questions left that I just can't seem to come up with good answers for. I mean, I know what I want to say, but not how to say it... if that makes sense? Grr.

Last edited:
So, I mailed off my Western supplemental like 2 weeks ago, but didn't even realize that I hadn't done the CV. Anyway, I did it over the last day and a half and it's going in the mail today. I feel like a ****.

So, I mailed off my Western supplemental like 2 weeks ago, but didn't even realize that I hadn't done the CV. Anyway, I did it over the last day and a half and it's going in the mail today. I feel like a ****.

That's funny, but not. Sounds like something I would do.

TT, which two questions?

I struggled on my answer to the question about the particular area of vet med that interests me because it turned out only two sentences long! I feel like I would have been repeating myself had I put any more because I said so much already about that in other answers.

Now this is making me second guess myself and wonder if I printed off my CV and put it in my packet or not. I know I had the checklist there as I was printing everything off, but I do not remember if I actually printed off the CV......grrr........this is going to drive my insane. :smuggrin:

DVMDream, just email them nicely and ask. They seem really reasonable (and nice).

Squibby, it was the one you mentioned - not because of lack of content, but rather because I covered all of that really thoroughly in my PS. The other is the one I'm still trying to add a couple more sentences to as we speak... the one asking why I'm attracted to vet med. Lol! It's just because it's such a broad question, and I can't really sting my thoughts together. But, I need to get to the post office, so I'mma have to get going with it.

Good luck to all you applying this year!
As I am sitting in class now at Western, I remember the feeling of all the stresses in applications and supplementals.
...but wait, there are no lectures at Western....or are there?:laugh:

Well, I decided to apply after a bit. I'm mostly just scared of living in Pomona (near LA, whatever) and I decided that was a stupid reason to not apply.

I'm the biggest baby and I still got on the plane to live & go to school here. It's not the nicest area, but even I find it "doable"... and I'm picky! As long as you get a chance to see some of the prettier California, it's is all good.

I love PBL! Sometimes frustrating, usually pretty awesome, always rewarding. :)

I'm the biggest baby and I still got on the plane to live & go to school here. It's not the nicest area, but even I find it "doable"... and I'm picky! As long as you get a chance to see some of the prettier California, it's is all good.

I love PBL! Sometimes frustrating, usually pretty awesome, always rewarding. :)

That said, you don't have to live in Pomona. We have students who live as far as 1-2 hours away (not that I recommend that!). But prettier surrounding areas are less than 20 minutes away (I'm thinking Chino Hills, West Covina, Diamond Bar, etc.). And, so far, Pomona hasn't been bad. Besides, you won't have time to complain about Pomona with how much of the rest of your self-directed day is dedicated to lab and studying.

And yep. I love PBL. Playing doctor detective is fun :). And if you make a mistake in your diagnosis? It doesn't count! The case is on paper :D.

Hi guys,
Thanks!

Tech2Vet - I wouldn't worry about that section unless you feel something needs clarification within your application.

As a side note to all here...I will be working with the Admissions Committee this year to hopefully reduce the additional documents that are required such as the CV and possibly transcripts (until you are offered a seat...then they will be required).

I apologize for appearing non-exist here the past few weeks. We have been quite busy receiving and processing your applications. Hang in there!

All the best,

good luck to everyone applying this year! PBL can be frustrating sometimes but I don't think I would want it any other way. There is never a dull moment in vet school! You never ask "why am I learning this?"

Just heard from Western asking for clarification about some of my prereqs. Anyone else being asked about some of their coursework?

Just heard from Western asking for clarification about some of my prereqs. Anyone else being asked about some of their coursework?

I was asked last year to send a syllabus for one of my classes to be sure it met their requirement. I sent it in a .pdf file and that was fine. They then sent the e-mail saying that my application was complete and was being reviewed by the committee. I would not worry about it. I am sure it happens often for classes they are unfamilar with/unaware of what the class entails. Good Luck! :luck:

Did you check your classes in their pre-req database? If your class isn't found there, they will ask you to submit a syllabus in order to approve it. Sometimes there are classes that they yet have on there that are perfectly acceptable.

For those applying next round, another option is to submit an academic worksheet ahead of time in order to make sure your pre-reqs are approved. I think a lot of schools have that sort of option.

Did you check your classes in their pre-req database? If your class isn't found there, they will ask you to submit a syllabus in order to approve it. Sometimes there are classes that they yet have on there that are perfectly acceptable.

For those applying next round, another option is to submit an academic worksheet ahead of time in order to make sure your pre-reqs are approved. I think a lot of schools have that sort of option.

Great advice, savethewhales! It is common practice for us to request a syllabus for a course we have not yet approved. If an Academic Worksheet was done prior to applying we refer to that document as a review of your coursework has already been done.

Hang in there everyone! We expect to send interview invitations out beginning in early December and will continue to send them into January. Best of luck to all!

Hey everyone! This question is for a friend, but I was wondering what Western's policies were regarding retaking classes. Would they replace the previous grade or get averaged into the overall GPA? I tried calling today, but the line was busy. If anyone could help my friend out, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

hey everyone! i'm new to sdn so i'm still trying how to figure this all out :)
how're all the western applicants holding up?

hey everyone! i'm new to sdn so i'm still trying how to figure this all out :)
how're all the western applicants holding up?

Welcome!

Studying for finals and trying to not think about my applications. Obviously not working...

Welcome!

Studying for finals and trying to not think about my applications. Obviously not working...

I second this! Spent the entire day studying for my biochem final. Trying to stay focused.

:xf:

:oops:So I spoke with a very good source in the Admissions department of Western today and the 1st batch of interview invites will be emailed TOMorroW ! THats RIte WESTERN is sending there first Batch of interview invites out tommorow ! If your not in that batch dont worry they will send another batch out after the X MAS Break ;):D

:oops:So I spoke with a very good source in the Admissions department of Western today and the 1st batch of interview invites will be emailed TOMorroW ! THats RIte WESTERN is sending there first Batch of interview invites out tommorow ! If your not in that batch dont worry they will send another batch out after the X MAS Break ;):D

Wow! Email or snail mail?

Wow! Email or snail mail?

Interview invitations will be sent via e-mail. Good luck!

Karen Hutton-Lopez
Director of Admissions
College of Veterinary Medicine & Dept. of Physical Therapy Education &
Dept. of Physician Assistant Education

309 E. Second St.
Pomona, CA 91766
Telephone: (909) 469-5650
Fax: (909) 469-5425
www.westernu.edu

Does anybody know about the order in which interview invites are sent out? Are the applicants they consider strongest invited to interview first? Or does it have something to do with when the application was received? Or other random factors?

Does anybody know about the order in which interview invites are sent out? Are the applicants they consider strongest invited to interview first? Or does it have something to do with when the application was received? Or other random factors?

From what I was told its according to the order recieved and when it was reviewed by the Ad com it is in no way strongest to weakest ....:D

Director of Admissions
College of Veterinary Medicine & Dept. of Physical Therapy Education &
Dept. of Physician Assistant Education

Wow, you must be a very busy person! :D

Ahhh Geezzzzz..... This is going to do me in. I think I need an intervention until after my final in the morning......Breath in and out, breath in and out. Going back to my amino acid groups and sphingolipids....

Wow, you must be a very busy person! :D

:oops:I dont know how to take squibby that but i have one more final in the morning and I am sailing free waitng for my invite hopefully tommorow ! GOD luck to all of you Western Applicants out there ! I wish we could all go .:scared:

Studying for a biochem final tomorrow and just read this.....i think my stomach just hit the floor. I'm pretty sure I won't be in this batch since only one week ago I got the email saying my app was complete and ready for review. SO......."ahhhhhhhhhh!" Is all I can think of right now. Good luck to everyone!