Western Class of 2014!!!!

Started by NeonCat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jersey girl yes there's lots of us here - thank goodness none of us have to represent all by ourselves! Esp with Jersey Shore out, its comical.

Ill def be visiting home this summer at some point but mostly ill be here doing research at school actually with my mentor. So ill let u know when home comes! But feel free to ask me when that is again and to anyone coming down ill be around 🙂 .
 
How many of us are still waiting to hear from other schools?

I interviewed with Davis earlier this week and should hear by the end of the month. I love Western, but I'll admit that Davis is something to think about too! I'm so torn!
 
I also just interviewed at Davis and am also torn, though whole life with husband and his job are here.... Davis was awesome, town, school, VMTH, the whole works! Nice to have a choice when it comes, so we will see!
 
In the snail mail acceptance letter I got yesterday there wasn't a checklist. Did anyone else not recieve it, or is it just me? I need it to be Monday right now so I can talk to them about logging in too.
 
The only other form that was in the same envelope with acceptance letter was the Acceptance Declaration Form...there is more on the admitted website that someone posted earlier as far as a checklist goes.
 
Congradulations!!!! My word of advise... to take it easy during the summer..... THE REAL WORK BEGINS IN AUGUST!!!!!!!!!! So give yourself a break you all deserve it. Congradulations again and if you have any questions feel free pm me or leave a post.
 
just requested facebook page. name is jacqueline. i also interviewed at davis and am waiting to hear but my personal life lives in la so i have a secret side of me that wants to get a rejection (but i have dreamed of ucdavis since i was in the womb) so i dont even have to make that hard choice. i have soooooo much to think about. what do i do?
 
just requested facebook page. name is jacqueline. i also interviewed at davis and am waiting to hear but my personal life lives in la so i have a secret side of me that wants to get a rejection (but i have dreamed of ucdavis since i was in the womb) so i dont even have to make that hard choice. i have soooooo much to think about. what do i do?

I will not be applying until 2011, however, I hope to have the same dilemma as you might be faced with. I live in Los Angeles and will be faced with a tough decision should I get offers from both CA schools. One item worth mentioning is that I believe Western will wind up costing almost 20K more per year to attend. Does this seem correct to those who have taken a closer look at tuition comparisons for these programs?
 
would u be commuting to western? i live close to western so while tuition is over 10k more at western (i think 40k vs. 28k? ), i wouldn't be paying for the cost of living, since i'd be at home. so i think it about evens out with davis maybe being 1-2k cheaper? this is a rough estimate
 
would u be commuting to western? i live close to western so while tuition is over 10k more at western (i think 40k vs. 28k? ), i wouldn't be paying for the cost of living, since i'd be at home. so i think it about evens out with davis maybe being 1-2k cheaper? this is a rough estimate

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/StudentPrograms/subpages/admission_info/cost.html

http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/financial/financial-budgets-veterinary.xml

I would not take these estimates literally. For example, are transportation expenses really twice as costly at Western? Personal expenses as well? I am not even sure about where these room and board estimates come from. Essentially, I think you were correct to use the costs of tuition alone when comparing the two programs. Just curious.
 
Hey everyone! I got my letter today! I hope to mail off the acceptance declaration form tomorrow. no checklist either.

Anyone else notice that they put down last years start date (August 3, 2009) instead of this year's (August 2, 2010)? Anyways, I'm going to be framing this baby! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think western transportation might be more costly because they send you out your third and fourth year, but i'm not quite sure how far you'd go, as opposed to davis, where it seems most if not all your rotations are done at their teaching hospital (i'm not too sure on this, so someone correct me if i'm wrong). for me, if i went to western, i'd be living w/ my parents so a lot of those personal costs (rent, food, utilities) would be taken care of.

i know some people would differ, but money isn't the deciding factor for me if i had the chance to choose between the two schools. i would rather go somewhere that fits me and pay more (and yea i'll be in debt longer) than go somewhere cheaper. and western and davis are pretty different, so i'd research into it and visit to get a feel of their schools. i think the bigger question is do you like pbl?

what that answer for me is yet, i'm not sure and i don't even know if i made it into davis yet either =x
 
Framing mine too! Got on Saturday!
I have the same thoughts about Western vs. Davis tuition. I will also be commuting to Western from Costa Mesa, which is 30-40 minutes depending on traffic. But, the fact that my husband can keep his job here, we own our house and are set in every way here... Tuition may be cheaper at Davis but with having to either buy another house, or rent, while either renting out or selling ours here...., plus maybe ending up with a commute at Davis depending on husbands job, etc??? Its a wash financially in the long run! And I get to keep my life here!
 
i think western transportation might be more costly because they send you out your third and fourth year, but i'm not quite sure how far you'd go, as opposed to davis, where it seems most if not all your rotations are done at their teaching hospital (i'm not too sure on this, so someone correct me if i'm wrong). for me, if i went to western, i'd be living w/ my parents so a lot of those personal costs (rent, food, utilities) would be taken care of.

i know some people would differ, but money isn't the deciding factor for me if i had the chance to choose between the two schools. i would rather go somewhere that fits me and pay more (and yea i'll be in debt longer) than go somewhere cheaper. and western and davis are pretty different, so i'd research into it and visit to get a feel of their schools. i think the bigger question is do you like pbl?

what that answer for me is yet, i'm not sure and i don't even know if i made it into davis yet either =x


Thanks and good luck. I am eager to hear from people weighing and making this decision as I begin to count my unborn chickens. 😉
 
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/StudentPrograms/subpages/admission_info/cost.html

http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/financial/financial-budgets-veterinary.xml

I would not take these estimates literally. For example, are transportation expenses really twice as costly at Western? Personal expenses as well? I am not even sure about where these room and board estimates come from. Essentially, I think you were correct to use the costs of tuition alone when comparing the two programs. Just curious.

The costs for UCDavis are incorrect. Their current financial aid literature (received on Friday) says costs will increase by at least $3045 for coming year bringing cost over $30k. Also UC Regents have approved fee increase of no less than 7% for the following 4 years. UCDavis has "forgotten" to update their website to reflect that. Western is very unlikely to have large increases like that, but who knows?
 
I just got my letter today too in Illinois! I am so framing that thing 😀 No checklist here either.

I called today about the checklist and apparently its not prepared yet. The admissions lady told me that they will either email us or snail mail it to us sometime this week.
 
I got my letter today. Mine doesn't have a signature and has the start day of orientation wrong. I have waited for so long for a letter like this and I'm a little let down. Oh well, Im framing it anyway. Does any one know where the checklist is? Obviously not enclosed, but if we can find it online?
 
Yeah I just noticed that for some reason, a tad disappointing after the excitement and the wait.... couldn't proofread the letter? Oh well!
 
Yeah!! Rejected from Davis!! J/K, but makes the decision for me! See you all in August!
 
Are y'all sure you really want to go to Western? In the mid 80s in the middle of march! Who can study in this kind of weather? I am pretty sure that when the weather gets over 80 the neurons stop firing in my brain. :laugh:

If you are not from SoCal start getting acclimated by turning on your oven and studying next to it for the next 6 months.
 
Are y'all sure you really want to go to Western? In the mid 80s in the middle of march! Who can study in this kind of weather? I am pretty sure that when the weather gets over 80 the neurons stop firing in my brain. :laugh:

If you are not from SoCal start getting acclimated by turning on your oven and studying next to it for the next 6 months.

:laugh:, I think I have acclimated, living in Florida my whole life! The one thing I know for sure is I will have better hair days without all the humidity you get in Florida!
 
:laugh:, I think I have acclimated, living in Florida my whole life! The one thing I know for sure is I will have better hair days without all the humidity you get in Florida!

👍 Yes, this is the best part. I lived in Orlando for 3 years before moving out here to Davis (100F regularly over the summer with about 25% humidity) and my hair is so much nicer here. Also, you don't feel like you just stepped into a sauna when you first go outside.
 
Also, you don't feel like you just stepped into a sauna when you first go outside.


i agree with this...my family lives in south florida. even late november, there are days in the 80s and within 5 minutes of being outside i'm dripping wet. it's the humidity!! i've spent a lot of time in San Diego and Orange County...SoCal is amazing...80 degree temps without the humidity? i'd take it!
 
No No No. It's too nice to study. Whose brain can process glycosylation of proteins in the ER when the rest of the body just wants to go outside and play?

At least if it was humid I would want to stay inside for the A/C!
 
No No No. It's too nice to study. Whose brain can process glycosylation of proteins in the ER when the rest of the body just wants to go outside and play?

At least if it was humid I would want to stay inside for the A/C!


lol ok i see your point! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are not from SoCal start getting acclimated by turning on your oven and studying next to it for the next 6 months.

Haha, I don't think that'd be a good simulation of a distracting sunny day though. If studying next to an oven makes somebody want to go get into the oven well uh, I think they should stop studying for a little bit perhaps. :laugh:
 
At least if it was humid I would want to stay inside for the A/C!

:laugh:Very true! I don't think I'm outside for longer than I really have to during the summer here in Florida.

SO yeah, for those on the fence. California = bad for studying!! :meanie:
 
Haha, I don't think that'd be a good simulation of a distracting sunny day though. If studying next to an oven makes somebody want to go get into the oven well uh, I think they should stop studying for a little bit perhaps. :laugh:

This is what happens when you try to be more exact. I thought people could study in a sauna but that would too humid so I though an oven would be closer to reality. Now I can't stop thinking about dog soup and people crawling into ovens.

Nyanko, you are really messing with my brain. And I can't stop laughing. 😛
 
One of my fears is the weather... 80s and no humidity, may be a bad combo for an east coaster. It was 69 and sunny here today and I couldn't focus... rode my bike, walked the dogs, rode the horse, did some yard work... :laugh:. It was a productive day.
 
But if it is nice a LOT....then it won't be so rare to have a nice day that you can go out and do something. Eventually we will become immune to sunshine and beautiful weather. (or not because I have lived in the midwest my whole life and i am over gray and rain!!!)
 
You have to embrace the weather here.... lucky to have a house in So Cal with a big backyard where I can sit outside AND study...small gardening breaks punctuated by drinks with small umbrellas...JK.
 
The weather becomes.....how do I say boring.... yes it is nice to have the nice weather all year round... but it does get cold (40-50)... but when it is nice out you can always study outside! This is coming from a gal born and raised in PA. It is not as distracting as you would think when you have it all the time 😉
 
And we have other fun things like wild fires and Santa Ana winds, earthquakes, occasional rains that last a week, etc! The only thing lacking here are "real" seasons with distinct changes, though of course we get leaves changing color and falling etc. Have lived here my whole life with brief stint in Lexington, KY, so if anyone has any questions about the area, please PM me! I live in Costa Mesa which is a 30-40 minute drive, and plan on staying here through school.
 
I got my letter today. Mine doesn't have a signature and has the start day of orientation wrong. I have waited for so long for a letter like this and I'm a little let down. Oh well, Im framing it anyway. Does any one know where the checklist is? Obviously not enclosed, but if we can find it online?

Woohoo..congrats!! Another oili person on SDN? Awesome.😀
 
Hey All, I'm in too! Im pretty sure I was in shock for a week, but I'm starting to realize that my dreams are finally coming true and I can breathe again! So I just requested to join the Facebook page, my name is Courtney. Can't wait to meet you all in the Fall!!! Anyone know of nice places to look for housing/ roomies?
 
Hey waitlisters, just an FYI that i was admitted to Davis and will most-likely decline waitlist at Western to attend Davis.

I hope this ups the odds for someone awesome!:luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How is the housing search going for everyone? I'm just starting. Does anyone know any good info on what western students generally do for housing in terms of roommates and distance from campus?
 
How is the housing search going for everyone? I'm just starting. Does anyone know any good info on what western students generally do for housing in terms of roommates and distance from campus?

So does this mean that you've decided Western over Tuskegee?
The facebook group has some discussions about house hunting and roommates going on. It looks like most western students tend to find housing within 10-30 minute commute from school.
 
So does this mean that you've decided Western over Tuskegee?
The facebook group has some discussions about house hunting and roommates going on. It looks like most western students tend to find housing within 10-30 minute commute from school.

Yes western it is! Apparently the westernu banweb site has a bunch of classified posts concerning this matter. Has anyone got their banweb access yet?
 
I've been on banweb and the postings aren't so great. I guess it depends on if you have a city preference, but a LOT of the postings don't allow pets.
 
I checked out banweb too. Not much help. Almost all of the listings didn't allow pets.

What cities are people looking at? I'm definitely not looking for anything in Pomona. I'm leaning towards Chino Hills or Diamond Bar.