Western Class of 2014!!!!

Started by NeonCat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was hoping for claremont because i'm familiar with the area and that's what my friend strongly suggested was the best place for being close to school, places to go, etc. She said a lot of people like chino hills and upland i think. I really just need to get out there and look to be sure :scared:
 
chino hills and upland are both nice areas. they're all relatively close, a few minutes longer than it would take if you lived in claremont. i live close to chino hills and it took me 15 min to get to western.
 
Hey everyone! Don't worry too much about housing at this point. As you guys have already noticed there aren't many posting on Banweb and around the area for that matter. There will be a ton more postings towards the end of the semester. That goes for any place around right now. This area has sooo many colleges, therefore all of the good places and ones that except pets are occupied by current students. I know it is hard to wait, but you will end up with a nice place that is pet friendly and you won't have to settle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just wanted to introduce myself to the new class of 2014!

Congradulations! All of you hard work has finally paid off and now you're about to step into a new phase of your academic careers. Be proud of your acheivement and make sure to enjoy your summer off! ;-)

If any of you have questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them! But I will warn you.... Right now I am in the last 4 weeks of school, so if I don't respond quickly I apologize in advance. But we will have all summer to chit-chat! 🙂
 
I'd be willing to start/join a FB group if the content is open to members only (ie somewhat restricted). There are too many stalkers in the world!

I requested to join the fb group- my name is Sharon. I am on the waitlist for UF but have been accepted to Western, so there's a chance I might be meeting you all in August!
 
The campus had a power outage last week that messed up the servers for a few days. I know that there is a scheduled maintenance coming up as well; when that happens they close the whole western server which means no banweb, etc. I haven't had a problem since the power outage stuff last week though.
 
How does everybody like being at Western so far?
I don't mean to sound like a cheerleader for Western but...I really love it here! This curriculum is certainly not for everyone but it is for me. I wish undergrad would have been like this. I do still wish that we had lectures on some things but then again the profs are easy to approach and are willing to help you and answer your questions as long as you have done the background work and still don't understand stuff. Plus, I have found that the students are a great resource. For example, I'll learn something in anatomy lab from someone then I go to someone else and teach them what I learned (which helps to solidify it), and the next pays it forward.
I also love all the hands-on work we do from clinical rotations to clinical skills labs, etc. A second year friend of mine just did her first cat neuter!
I would go insane if I never touched an animal for two years while forced to learn about them in books.
What I don't love: the new interprofessional education (IPE) that the unversity has implemented which is basically PBL with students from the different colleges on the university (DO, DMD, OD, DP, PA, DTP, DPharm, etc). They're trying to get us to see how our professions are intermingled and the "one health" concept. I love the idea but I think VetMed gets no respect from the other colleges and it takes up time from studying/researching your learning issue. I hope that this course gets better over the years for the incoming classes.
Let me know if you have any other specific questions.