Western/COMP Class of 2005 - part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone...
I hope you are all enjoying summer!!!
I am just almost finished moving all my stuff back home to Diamond Bar (as I will be living at home now)...I never realized how much stuff I accumulated.

How is everyone doing with the coloring. I haven't been able to get started because of all the moving and stuff.

If anyone is in the area I'll probably be studying / coloring at the Barnes and Noble in West Covina or the Barnes at the westside galleria in Santa Monica...

Members don't see this ad.

Mr. Panda,
If you are "just starting"..you got a load of coloring ahead of you...I am still not near done...but it is TEDIOUS!!!!

Best of luck..

See you guys next week!!

Hey folks,
well, I gave in and decided to test out DSL for a year. I'm with a company called DSL Extreme (www.dslextreme.com). They have pretty good reviews on this site called www.dslreports.com.. and in this Pomona area, I think the choices are pretty limited. You can either take the Verizon DSL route or another company and after some research, I decided to go with these guys. I just had DSL turned on today after I got home from class and so far it seems okay.. have to play with it some more.

As for cable companies that provide internet access, I think you have to be lucky to find an apartment complex with a cable company that has internet cable capabilities. Anyway, tomorrow is a holiday for us, but we are all hard at work at school.

I went to the LA Fitness gym in Chino Hills yesterday.. it was expectedly crowded during prime time around 5-8pm I believe. The gym is average sized and has racquetball courts, a full-court basketball gym, and a three lane swimming pool. They have the usual areas spaced off for cardio equipment, weights, machines, and aerobics. I'm used to the huge 24 Hr Fitness gyms around here so this one seemed a bit small, but that was probably because there were quite a few people there on Monday after work/school. I'll eventually check out the Diamond Bar one and the Laverne one.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up Fellas (and New Members :) ),

Wow, I'm gone only a few weeks and the message boards are filled, not to mention all the mail COMP's been sending. So, SAPP's in 1 1/2 weeks and no coloring for some of you...shame, shame. I, on the other hand, at least started...page 17 completed, now a few hundred more to go! But I've got a good excuse, I just got back from an island in the Caribbean where the Eurpean Temptation Island is currently being filmed. For any SCUBA divers out there, Roatan is the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world, second only to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, and it's only 5 1/2 hrs away by plane. If anyone's up to it, we can probably get something going on next summer. I'm sure the 84 degree clear water is an excuse enough just to go out there. It sounds like everyone's excited about starting. I'm sure we can keep this enthusiam up when classes start. And John, things don't need to be planned here, we just do it spur o' the moment...so get used to it you former New Yorker, you're now a WestCoast boy!!! See you guys in a few weeks.

-Rob

Welcome Back Rob

Glad to see you back in the swing of things...and seeing ya getting ready for some coloring!!!!

I'll buzz ya next week...when I "officially" become a "West Coast Boy"..with the New Yawk axe-ent..

but seriously....welcome back...

Don't worry about the whole planning business Yosh, I'm a planner too! :) I have a feeling it will take some time for me to get used to the West Coast ways of socializing in that regard....oh well, just tell me where to get the beer and I'll be ok. ;)

Halcyon,

Other than AOE & Starcraft, Counterstrike was big in our class. It seemed like a bunch of the guys that sat on the left-side (west side) of the class played it. I played it from time to time as well. Those guys were crazy that would play throughout lunch and after class as well. It would be funny b/c sometimes a guy would say something out loud b/c he got shot or something and the the prof would think he was asking a question.

As far as gaming goes, I would not recommend it for your 1st semester. I think it was hard enough to juggle all those core classes (a test a week) with anatomy and OMM looming over you the whole time. But it is necessary to have relax and have fun sometimes, we all need balance. I remember playing a lot of ultimate frisbee & basketball for diversions as well.

-Eric

SammyK

Just wanted to say thank you for backing me up on this whole "planning" thing..much obliged!!!

Where did this whole "planning" thing come from? I read Robb's post...and am unsure of where this orginated...

Hmmm....

Anyone??

mmmm....cancun...let me tell you there are sooo many good looking women down there. i'm starting to get used to the sun and it's making me very happy.

yosh-got your message. call you soon. by the way how's your packing going? i haven't even started to think about how much stuff i need/want to move out.

later on
~j

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to get a car past emissions standards in California? I have a Prelude with a modified exhaust and I'm not sure if I should sell it and get something more economical or "de-modify" it and take my chances with a "Missouri car" in California. Are the emissions standards enforced? I've read some troubling things on some random websites about police confiscating automobiles and the like. My exhaust system is conspicuous to say the least. Any suggestions?

Eric - Thanks for the info. I doubt I will be doing any gaming first semester...but we'll see. At least a bunch of you guys did get time to play games during the first year so it is possible :)

SaintM - What year Prelude do you have? If it is an older generation (gen 3) then it may be more difficult to pass emissions (especially w/modified exhaust). But as you probably know there are plenty of modified cars that can pass w/o probs. If the engine is running well and you don't see white/black smoke coming out the back...it should be ok in my opinion. You might encounter some probs depending upon how "conspicous" the exhaust is. But my car isn't modified and so I don't know too much about intake/header/exhaust stuff...

(Bring your car down...Preludes are rare down here in SD...not sure about Pomona though. Besides...how can you give up a 'Lude...I look for excuses just to drive it :D)

prit

how modified is your exhaust, i ve changed mine and have no problem. you should probably make sure you have your cat on, otherwise your should be fine

i'm shipping my car out from NY. NY runs on similar standards as cali, but i'm not 100% sure how emissions and inspection stickers for out-of-state cars are enforced...let's say i'm going to wing it.

~j

Members don't see this ad :)
Jay,
I am shipping my car out too...which company are you using...we need to chat soon...and compare prices...

Call me!

I am leaving on Tues!

Vdub,Halcyon
I have a 96 Vtec with headers, flowthrough exhaust, and a Dunk Megaphone muffler. I actually bought it like that, I didn't modify it myself. It has hella horsepower but I get 12-15 MPG on a GOOD Day. This is the main reason I'm considering selling it or trading it (possibly for an integra or EX civic). How much does it cost to ship a car?

Also...I'm still looking for a place and I can't get to California until the 25th. Can anyone recommend any decent 1 person apartments for around $500-$650.

SaintM...

man thats incredible...only 12-15 mpg on a good day?!! and thats with a 4th gen prelude...serious mods...i doubt it will pass emissions here cuz thats the same engine i have but i get at least 25 mpg. but mine is stock w/the exception of a K&N drop-in filter. you don't stay in vtec the entire time do ya :D if i drive hard then it drops to about 21mpg or so. i know the cops in some areas are really bored and look for excuses to stop modded cars (la jolla...by ucsd) but i dont know how pomona is. i guess it depends upon how conspicous your car is. well your gas mileage seems to be equiv. to what a v8 would get and doesn't seem right for a 4 cylinder...so i'm not sure how well it would do on the emissions tests here. sorry i can't be of much help...

the cheapest one bed place close to school is probably at plaza aparts. and you get the option of having a garage. basically if you live at plaza you don't have to drive to school...it is across the street. here is their number 909-620-7368.

good luck
prit

i got 4 quotes from shipping companies for under $900. two were based on long island, one in jersey, and another in florida.

fast and furious was a kick ass film, chock full of entertainment...i figure, if they can make a dodge neon look hard, then i can make my passat waggon do a quarter mile in 4 seconds... :D

~j

Jay,

Send the info on over......Your prices beat mine...

Let me know....

Hey all!

My last day as a working girl is tomorrow. I'm so happy.

I will be coming down to the Pomona area Saturday and will be staying until mid-afternoon on Monday.

If anyone has time, I would love to meet some of you.
What time is the lunch break? I have to come drop some stuff off at campus Monday.

If you are available, call me on my cell 702-338-6543 or e-mail me at [email protected].

Talk to you all soon
Steph :)

Steph,
I am moving out there on Tues..so I am gonna miss you by a day....but I will be around from then on...so...

Hope your trip is productive....Enjoy!!

Hey folks,
Just letting you know I am still here... but occupied with anatomy for most of the time until now and this coming Monday. The fact that it became humid after a sudden rain shower didn't help. I can already dream about going to the beach Monday afternoon after the exam...

Lanny

Lanny,

I will call you Monday nite..as I am moving to 'the hills" on Tues...my plane leaves at 7am...Tues morning...

I'll be there soon enough....

Wildpanda86 - I live about five miles from the barnes and noble in west covina. email mail me a number to get in contact and maybe we can meet up at the starbucks. I don't have the coloring book but I did buy the fourth edition Moore anatomy books. All of them because the airforce reimburses me for the required books. Maybe we can start reviewing, casually.
[email protected]

everyone- I have the moore fourth edition so if anyone needs to use or copy mine, let me know. don't buy it if you don't have to.

dawn

sup y'all, just thought somebody might be able to help me. I'm trying to get in touch with an old friend, he's a MSII (Gurinder Wadhwa). If anybody knows him, please tell him to e-mail Dee at: [email protected]

Thanks

Puppyluv...

i don't know Gurinder but he is punjabi right? i'd like to meet him if he goes to COMP. goodluck in your search and i'll let you know if i find him...

this is my first post from my phat laptop...1600x1200...its like looking at a painting :D gotta set up lots of things...talk to you guys later.

Lanny/ISAC'ers - GOOD LUCK MONDAY..study hard..i will see u guys soon

take care

prit

prit what laptop did u get, geez i still need to get mine,
any more good deals out there?

This message is intended for students entering or attending Wesetern U currently.

I have a 4 bedroom townhouse in Claremont and am looking for a third roommate. For about $440/month you'll get 2 rooms a bedroom and an office, a garage spot and on-site laundry. We are 3 miles from campus and about 1.5 miles from the Village in Claremont. Living in the city gets you access to the Claremont Libraries for studying (a big bonus).

I am a third year and a OMM teaching fellow (so you can get help with OMM)and the other roommate is an MSII.

E-mail me if any of you are interested:

[email protected]

Good luck and enjoy the remaining days of Summer before your ass gets handed to you in the fall!

Mike Tracy :cool:

Mike,
That is an amazing deal...I already have an apt in Chino Hills, but was wondering how one would come across apts like that?
I was thinking for next year, I would love to have something like that..can you fill me in on how you found it???

P.S. I am doing SAPP, and I am getting ready to "have my ass handed to me"

See you in the Fall.....

You should have no problem passing emissions unless the person testing your car is an ass...then go somewhere else and have it done...and remember to keep the cat warmed when it is done.

Also for any bolt ons...make sure they have carb numbers. I have an accord with every possible bolt on and exhaust...it all has carb numbers and I pass just fine!!!

Originally posted by SaintM:
•Can anyone tell me how hard it is to get a car past emissions standards in California? I have a Prelude with a modified exhaust and I'm not sure if I should sell it and get something more economical or "de-modify" it and take my chances with a "Missouri car" in California. Are the emissions standards enforced? I've read some troubling things on some random websites about police confiscating automobiles and the like. My exhaust system is conspicuous to say the least. Any suggestions?•

Saint M,

After reading the other replies to yours I think there are some warning flags about your car you should be aware.

strait through exhaust (does that mean no cat...get one)

15-16 mpg...if the car was bought used with only boltons...it probably either 1) needs a tune up and injector cleaning2) air fuel ratio is off because the car was too low smashing the o2 sensor underneath the header...easy fix or 3) air fuel ratio is off because something more was done to the car than just bolt ons.

Any of these is an easy fix and is well worth the effort for the 4th gen prelude ( is that 97-2001?).

These cars a rare (some dealers have more s2000's than preludes)

and can be bound to be collectors items as 2002 is Preludes last model run...it would be a shame to trade it in for a civic unless it is the si civic

hey everyone...sorry for posting multip;le posts...last week I was actually at the Barnes and Noble in Santa Monica for the week..

But I will be at Barnes and Noble in Wesco tomorrow for sure...then later when it cools down if anyone is down for a little mountainbiking...I might go.

If anyone is still looking for coloring books...I saw a few at Borders bookstore in Santa Monica...other Borders might have them too!!!

Mr. Panda,

I'll see you at B&N tomorrow. Let's take care of this coloring. Maybe John and the rest of the gang can meet up later on in the week when they settle in. Give us a ring.

-Rob

Wildpanda...

actually the 4th gen 'ludes are from '92-'96. the 5th gens are from '97-2001. and this is the last model year...2001. no more prelude at least for a few years :( and yes..i see more s2000's than i do of my car :D

vdub...

i'm not sure about any great deals but this is the time to buy laptops as prices have dropped a lot. mine is a dell system though...

prit

I will officially be a California person tomm.....(uuggghhhh!!!!)..hehehe

I'll give ya guys a buzz later on in the week...as I have a ton of stuff to do..

E-mail me your phone numbers...and we'll get together...as I now have no one to talk to in California....

Rob...I e-mailed you as well...

Wildpanda86,
I have Dunk downpipes that replaced the stock pipe and catalytic converter. I don't know much about it since bought it modified from a dealer and not the original owner. The dealer also mentioned that it had a new CPU which could mean that the original owner installed something to modify the Vtec initiation band. I, however, have very little knowledge of vehicle CPUs and wouldn't be able to recognize if this were the case or not....Is there anything I can look for? I think that your suggestion about the O2 sensor is the closest to my problem. I remember when I bought the car the dealer told me the engine light wouldn't work because of the headers (I didn't really care at the time). If I'm not mistaken the problem was the absence or inefficiency of the O2 sensor....Is it possible I am running without one? (I am totally ignorant about these things) :(

yeah...check the O2 sensor out...if your car has no O2 sensor there it is like having no chemoreceptors in your body to monitor gas levels...
You should find an O2 sensor patched in either on top of the header or underneath...you should be able to see it...and check that there is an O2 sensor pathced in where the cat should be. If there are no areas for an O2 sensor...either buy a carb approved header or put in a stock one.( I would just buy an aftermarket one since they should cost about the same...or track down a stock one at a junkyard or race shop...people often forget to bring their stock stuff back home)

Check with a honda dealer that it is an OEM ecu also...

if your original tags has not yet expired...bring it down so we can check it out... don't worry about the cops...just tell them you are a med student (they just want to hassle the highschool kids)

also look around the headgasket for any signs that it has been blown (looks like grease or oil sipping out...if it has then just get a new car. means the previous owner put things in to go fast without doing the research hence the engine is !*@&ed up.

Originally posted by SaintM:
•Wildpanda86,
I have Dunk downpipes that replaced the stock pipe and catalytic converter. I don't know much about it since bought it modified from a dealer and not the original owner. The dealer also mentioned that it had a new CPU which could mean that the original owner installed something to modify the Vtec initiation band. I, however, have very little knowledge of vehicle CPUs and wouldn't be able to recognize if this were the case or not....Is there anything I can look for? I think that your suggestion about the O2 sensor is the closest to my problem. I remember when I bought the car the dealer told me the engine light wouldn't work because of the headers (I didn't really care at the time). If I'm not mistaken the problem was the absence or inefficiency of the O2 sensor....Is it possible I am running without one? (I am totally ignorant about these things) :(

We should have called this forum "how to pass the CA emissions test!" :D
I don't know anything about cars, but I guess that I'm learning! hehe!
About the convocation/white coat ceremony---we can only have two guests max???? :(
Well, I can't wait to come up to Chino Hills. It sure seems like a bunch of us will be living there... Good neighbors! Slowly, but surely--the time is coming.... :eek:

yeah whats the deal with only 2 guest, im thinkng of adding a few in anyways,

hey our lead over the dmu page has increased, when we add our old thread, :D

see ya next week

Hey everyone!
Sorry for not posting for the longest time...We're finally settling down here in Pomona - we're at the Indian Hills apartments ;)
If anyone needs a place to stay until they get settled here, you are more than welcome to stay at our place...
We went to COMP and got all of our registration taken care of. We're picking up our laptops tomorrow at the new library (in the basement).
We also got our parking sticker. If you want to save $40, you can pick one up at the Pomona city hall, on the corner of Garey and Mission (next to the library). Go to the line where people are paying for their water bils or parking permits, and ask for a permit for Western students (East of Garey) and it costs $140 instead of what the school charges ($180).
See you Sappers on Monday and keep up the good work ISACers :D

Lemon and Tony

PS, don't forget to pay for your lab coats by the 11th. You can try them on at the bookstore to find out your size.

Lemon,
Great to hear from you again!!! I am flying(moving) to Chino Hills tomm..and am looking forward to Monday....I need to get the scoop on the parking sticker....I'll send you an e-mail with my number..and you'll have to get in touch with me....

Hey folks,
Well, since no one else from ISAC has posted after our exam, I will be the first! Everyone's opinions on this exam varied.. we had Professor Bales, Kuehn, and Foster for this section of anatomy. It is an astonishing feeling that we can flip to the majority of pages in Netter's Atlas and identify structures just because we've covered so much material in such short time. 2/3 over!

Lemon- You and Tony are here already? Wow.. we should grab dinner or something.. I'm sure Tony is glad to get some sleep (or has he yet?) E-mail me your new phone # at [email protected]. What cross streets are the Indian Hills apts on? My buddy (I think his SDN name is JB023 or something) lives in the El Sereno Apts on Towne and Harrison.

Where are these parking permits for anyway? Can the city of Pomona issue parking permits for those parking lots owned by Western? Good heads-up on the white coats.. I need to turn my thing in soon. Guess I'll be stopping by the bookstore during lunch to do that.

Yosh- Hey John.. we usually get out like 4 or 5pm so give Adriane or me a call, okay?

What's your SAPP class schedule supposed to be like? Is there an orientation on Friday or just class starting Monday? I wonder if Dr. Leo will be teaching that since we have him for ISAC the last two weeks I think.

Alright well, guess I will head to bed eventually.. glad I don't have to review for anything tonight!

Hi everyone,
I had purchased the parking sticker from Western a while back. But I just found out that I will not be attending COMP. I tried to return my parking but they told me that the parking is nonrefundable. I was wondering if anyone out there is interested in purchasing my parking for $100. If interested, please email me at [email protected].

Good luck in the fall.

Dizzy

Well....I am finally in my apt...trying to get my bearings and pull myself together. I am "officially" an L.A.-er...going to get my California license on Thursday.....

Lanny,
I left you a message earlier...so buzz me when you get a chance....

I can't believe I am finally here...

Hmm....

Hi all.

I was down in Pomona checking out the area this weekend. I stopped by the school on Monday and saw a lot of tired people. Hope you all have recovered from the test.

Yesterday I got some interesting mail from the state medical school. They are pleased to inform me that I have been accepted into the class of 2005. TOO LITTLE TOO LATE!!!!!! :p

I can't wait to move. The move in date is July 31.

Talk to you all soon,
Steph

Originally posted by yosh:
•Well....I am finally in my apt...trying to get my bearings and pull myself together. I am "officially" an L.A.-er...going to get my California license on Thursday.....•

california license?? traitor!!!! hehehe, just kidding. see you when i see you. i am just lovin this summer break!

later.
~j

Mr.Jay,
Not to worry...I have every intention of keeping my New York license, as well as my New York license plates...unless I get too many tickets...for being an "out of towner"

I still have my Miami license....and only got Florida plates after I was pulled over a half million times....for being a "Northerner..and a Yankee"....

Was it my axe-ent? I am sure no one heard me say kawfee..or ka(car)...or New Yawk...????

I was just talking to Lanny...questioning your existance..saying that we always seemed to call each other when one of us was in the city...and we never did get together...Hmmm...

When school starts...we will finally get it together....too funny....

Its 2am Eastern time....haven't quite adjusted to L.A. time yet....

See ya all soon....going to COMP tomm...

hey yall , just got back from vegas, ridiculous heat there, but that place is quite tight, haddnt been there in like forever... steph sorry i didnt get to call you, i got your message just now...

im moving for sure to EC on friday, see ya

I got my California's driver's license....it was looking kinda iff-y for a bit there..some of those questions were a mystery to me....Asking me about Trolley Crossing Zones??? Trolleys????? I am so not in New York anymore....uughhh!!! Needless to say...I passed on a wing and a prayer...

I went to school today...dropped off my white coat order form..picked up my Netter's Atlas...ran into some fellow classmates...and continued moving in..

Tomm is a big day for me...my cable is being installed....and my fridge/washer/dryer are coming...

Look what my life has been reduced to....

Long live the Hills of Chino!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.