Western/COMP Class of 2005 - part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yosh...here's your hint..them bones, them bones, them short bones...(got it?) Okay, it's your bone box partner...bet you would have never guessed! :D Thought I would check out the message board. Pretty cool...and I see you are a frequent flyer here. Lots of good info...So did you go out last night? I did some shopping and then went to sleep. And was awoken by my crazy neighbor who decided to vacuum at like 3 AM! Interesting lady, she has like 5-10 people visit her a day...I am beginning to think that she's got some side business going???
Melancholy, don't think we have met yet. But I am sure we will..SAPP and ISAC are both small groups...Well..gotta back to the books... See ya manana Yosh :)

Members don't see this ad.

Docmartin- Ok I know who you are now since I have heard John talk about his bone box partner a couple of times :). He'll have to introduce us though.. we've probably seen each other but were never introduced. How did that study session on Saturday go anyway? Did you do anything fun Saturday night?

Just got back from anatomy lab and lunch on a hot Sunday afternoon. Guess I will rest a bit and then do some more reviewing for the exam tomorrow. I think we will do alright for this last exam.

pyoj- Jay, you're bringing your car down too? I know John is doing the same thing. You must love your car alot (or want to get rid of it in the future). Don't forget to bring your lacrosse stick down here.. I need some people to toss the ball around with. The student commons will probably be packed after orientation.

Docmartin,
Welcome to the club. I believe I've already met you if I can remember who Yosh's bone box partner is. Only 2 more weeks of this anatomy stuff and then the real work begins. Yeah, I can't wait...not!

Slrener & Pyoj
Hey, good luck with the move. Lookin' forward to seeing you guys. It's pretty cool to finally get everyone all social and working together

Innerpower,
Nice seeing you again. Vdub and myself have already hit up the pool table in the commons. I'm sure we can put a game together when classes start. See you then.

Yosh,
Geez, All these weird stories I hear....I love it. It's pure entertainment...New York Style.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to say...I don't even know you guys yet and you can brighten my day!!!

10 days and counting.
Steph :cool:

Hey Steph, I am gonna join in on the countdown, but I will be there a few days later. 13 days left for me.....
So much to do, and so little time...
:eek:

What's the good word Kitty Cats??

I had a very packed weekend....

--a Friday nite of studying...
--Sat morning of Desk Assemblying with some friends
--an early afternnoon/evening of studying.....
--Sat nite on (the "STRIP" as L.A.-ers seem to call it)..me..I say Sunset...that ended PROMPTLY at 1:30 am on the dot..no more beers!!!
Not to mention the almost 2 hour ride there....and that the 101 was closed on the way home....No wonder people get shot on the freeway...the roads here SUCK!!!!

Had to get that in..and jab at L.A. for RobbC

Well its almost tomm...and Vudub(Fuzz for all you SAP-ers) is IM-ing me..I am gonna run....

aight, sappers, and even isacers, we have have to come up with a nickname for john aka yosh, he has taken itupon himself to label me with one, so now its time to retaliate.. so if anyone has some ideas let me know :D

hey everyone...

just wanted to say g-luck to all the ISAC'ers on that test tomorrow. i'm gonna be up friday evening for sure. not much else goin down in SD...just hung out w/friends and ate at BJ's in la jolla. the realization finally struck that we will be going our separate ways..some up north some staying here..and like me some in LA. the move for you out-of-state guys must be even harder cuz you have to leave lots of things behind. anyways its kinda late now so i'm gonna go. just thinkin about all the great times i had at ucsd and when/if i will get the chance to hang out w/friends like we used to. i for one am hoping that the dreaded aug.13th date everyone says will mark the end of our social lives will not be as big a deal. i can dream about it can't i :D

Lanny..i don't see you on AIM so i'm sure u are studying. i'll call u up once i am there...study hard

so yeah g'luck ISAC'ers and hello to all the new peeps...oh and hope SAPP is goin well too. i'll be up friday eve most likely :D

prit

hows about yank, or big john, or John The Big (as in Sopranos), or Yoshi (as in the Mario Brother's).

lanny-i will definitely bring my lacrosse stick with me, must show californians how to play sports east coast style.

i love my car, i drove a big, black nissan pathfinder since high school, but i'm afraid that it won't pass emissions. so i cut a deal and swapped it for my parent's waggon...a passat waggon that is!! i think i lucked out this time. i just hope it makes it to LA in one piece.

later on.
~j

Ok kids,
Not that I haven't enjoyed Jay's suggestions or to be ungreatful...but Yosh is already a knickname as far as I am concerned...I never really answer to John.
There have been times that people called me John...and it took me a second to realize that they were talking to me....

I have no aversion to a knickname...Mr. Fuzz....but perhaps we should wait till others have the pleasure of meeting me..

A good nite of drinking almost always produces a few good knicknames...

Just a thought...

--L.A. Yosh

Hey everyone,
Well, the exam is finally over. We all went to Memorial Park in Claremont (That future "Get Acquainted" picnic/social is going to be held there as well on Tuesday, Aug 7). The place is pretty nice.. they have a tennis court, two lit sand v-ball courts, and there was a jazz band playing that night.. plenty of people came out with the lawn chairs to enjoy the music and atmosphere. (The music was more of the big band/swing/New Orleans-style jazz to me). Of course, the professors brought out Subway sandwiches for us.. when are we going to get Togo's? We hung out there for awhile and ended up going to one of our classmate's "houses" around Claremont for a few drinks. Sort of a kick back night all around.. learned how to play "beer pong" too.

Today most of us are going to talk to Dr. Younoszai to discuss our options for the anatomy course in the fall. I think there will be enough facilitators.. I'm ready for some disappointment and discouragement, but at least it won't be unexpected for me.. heh. That being said, I'll be around to help you guys even if I'm not a facilitator.

Hey SAPP'ers.. any plans for the upcoming weekend? Let me know if you have any ideas.. I'm up for just about anything at this point. Any second years bored who are living in the area?

Well, I am counting down with you guys/gals until you're up here so we can all hang out and meet each other. Talk to ya later.

Lanny

7 DAYS: TOO MUCH TO DO!!!

Ok ISACers....did you guys take your laptops to school every day? books? notebooks?

I'm trying to find a backpack for my laptop and don't really know what I want/ what I need.

Does anyone want to come to Vegas and pack my stuff up? Wishful thinking!!!

See ya next Teusday.
SL

whats up steph, the great eagle canyon awaits you., enjoy yor trip over
see ya lates

Members don't see this ad :)
Slehrner- Hey Steph, I think it's safe to bring your laptop the first week or so at least. Depending on what professor is teaching the lecture, there might or might not be notes/powerpoint presentations to download onto your computer to study later. There will be some little tutorials once in awhile that will help for things like x-rays as well. Sometimes, we just dumped our laptops in our lockers during lunch time if you don't want to watch it all the time. I don't know if that is safer during the regular year, but I heard a lot of second years saying how they were very casual with the laptops.. I guess there are so many around anyway.. and there is just some honor code amongst the students.

You could bring all the books you want.. stick them in your locker too if you don't want to haul them around during class. I would only bring books if I intended on using them to study outside of class on campus.. or if I wanted to browse through my Netter Atlas while in anatomy class. (Professors will refer to Netter pages in class and you can't see the pages as clearly when they project them on the board).

As for notebooks, well.. yeah bring them so you can take notes! Each professor has his/her own style.. so just play it safe for the first week or two and then figure out what is and isn't necessary. Remember what Arnold said about most books not being necessary in the end anyway.

I wish I could go to Vegas but unless some SAPP group goes, I'm probably not going to go by my lonesome. Most of the ISAC'ers left or are leaving tomorrow after the facilitator training. (note: not me.. heh)

*** Regarding the curriculum changes:
I talked to one of profs I previously knew before I came to Western who is on the curriculum committee and he mentioned that they wouldn't get around to implementing changes in the curriculum until at least next year or the year after that.. so we are still looking at approximately a 9-5pm schedule still. He said there were just too many things to coordinate with the diff professors.. they are working on it now, but it will come gradually. There might be slight changes that we won't notice during this year.. hopefully next year there will be more. It seems like they will be shifting a bit away from systems to a more traditional method of teaching from what I hear, but he was pretty vague when talking about that.

So that's my little update.. hopefully I will get more news in the future. Now that my fellow ISAC'ers are gone.. I love you SAPP'ers! Hehe.. :D

Hi everyone, I may soon be kicked out of the awesome house that I live in cuz it is being sold to another family. Sooo, I need a place ASAP b4 school starts. If anyone knows of another girl that needs a roommate then let me know. ([email protected])
Melancholy- You mentioned a 9-5 sched. You may not be that lucky, last year we started consistently at 8am. :(

I am not sure what is going on with our schedules.....The 2nd years that I have spoken with have all said that our hours are going to be shorter...ie. no micro-lab and something about anatomy...I dunno, seems like the more people I talk to...the more variations I get...

I guess we'll see on Aug 13th..

Till then its me and the 12 Cranial Nerves.....Ohh Ooh Ooh how I LOVE to touch...

the JOYS of mnumonics....I REALLY do miss that spell check.....

Hey all,

This summer anatomy thing is pretty cool. They give us all this info, ask us to study it for a day, quiz us, scare us by telling us the regular semester's going to be even tougher, and its back to square one all over again with new info the next day. The prof tells us this is just an introduction...how much more detailed can they get, 20% 40% or maybe even 50% more? That damn brachial plexus is getting my eyes crossed just looking at it in the the Netter, geez I just can't wait till we gotta search through it in the lab.

shoulda been like me and enjoyed your summer :D :D anyways i'll be up fri. eve...

till then

prit

Hey people,
Damn.. the brachial plexus gets more fun when you try to identify all the branches on a cadaver.. especially when the professors make a little "window" so you can't see where branches lead off to. On most of our cadavers, it might be difficult to ID the roots of the brachial plexus depending on how deep it was dissected, but there should be a prosection there with a good view of the roots and trunks of the plexus.

Come to think of it, I should probably spend some time with you guys looking at the brachial plexus in lab.. I'll have to do it all over again anyway!

I hear some of us are going over to the Plaza Apts. on Friday afternoon for a potluck.. who's in?

Maily:
That sucks that you're getting kicked out of that house... it was really nice in there. Check with that receptionist right in front of Student Services, she usually knows of some good housing tips. Then again, you commute from OC like me last year during musculoskeletal, it sucked!

MS-I's:
Regarding the brachial plexus to the SAPs, just a good white board and draw and redraw til you're blue in the face... then once you get it, it'll look totally different on the cadaver & go over it again and again! :) Those SAP TA's are all good, especially Kendra (my facilitator last year) and Douglas (my home boy from Ghana).

It's not so bad... hang in there!
-Eric

Eric714- that's a good point about learning the brachial plexus.. I had forgotten how different it looked in lab from the picture on the white board. After awhile, it does make sense though so keep at it!

miles333- Wow.. sorry to hear that you will have to unexpectedly vacate your house because of an ownership change. I'm not sure if any ISAC'ers who haven't moved are still planning on moving closer. I can try asking on Friday if any SAPP'ers are still looking for a roommate. Do you have any clue where you'll be looking to stay?

Oh yeah, it was either 8-5 or 9-5.. I think 8-5 might be a possibility according to the prof.

What the Hell!!!!

One of the reasons why I chose COMP was because they said they would change the curriculum. Now I hear that they may not change it!! I'm so ticked off. I don't wanna stay in class as long as the class of 2004. what a load of crock!!

anyways, now that i'm done venting, I just came back to Pomona two days ago, and i'm ready for school.

Hey...I am in for tomm's hoe down....I was planning on bringing eye-talian food...but I hear that people are bringing corn and grapes and Entermann's cakes....
Why am I gonna break out my old school homemade tomata sauce and NY cheese, and off da boat eye-talian reciepes for nuttin'???

We'll see what is gonna happen..

TNT are you coming??

Who else is showing up?

What good is a hoe-down w/out any hoes??

Just a little NY humor there..hehehe...

uh-oh...I have a strange suspicion that this is just not going to be received well...

Whatever..apparently this behavior from East coatsers....I do have a reputation to live up to...

Till ta-ma-ra....That's "tommorrow" in California talk...

Big John, Your so funny

I'm not sure if i am in for tommorow, but i shall try

Where the hell is everyone???

well yosh, i have been so busy with trying to get things ready for the move and closing up my projects at work that i havent even had a chance to breath... the days are tooooooo short, and pretty soon---school will be starting!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
i got my laptop today... finally! i got it from costco.com... great deal! anyone still looking should definitely check it out!
what's new with everyone else?
how's class? life? anything else....
:D

Hey Smiles- Nice to hear from you again. How is your roomie doing.. haven't heard from her since in a long while. I finally got to meet Prit (Halcyon) and a few more SAPP'ers last night at this pot luck get-together they had at the Plaza Apts. Definitely some good cooks in our class. It's cool to get some variety hanging out with the SAPP crowd.. it does seem a bit younger and more laid back (partially attributed to the fact that the course doesn't count), but it's taking me some getting used to as well.

Anyway, it's Saturday morning.. gotta find something productive to do. Enjoy your last weekend or so before moving up here!

Lanny

i'm here at the new library w/my laptop playin on the ethernet :D this is phat..ok gotta run closing in 15 mins. but u don't need to go see computer support or have them setup ur computer...just plug it into the ethernet and it auto. configures. ok talk to everyone soon...back to plaza

prit

Whats up people, hope u all had fun at the pot luck, sorry i couldnt make it, had a few things to take care of. Prit , nice to see u are up here now, hopefully we can meet on monday..

hey sonal give me a call

...till that day

So it's a Saturday night and I'm sitting here taking a break from studying. What's wrong with this picture? Arrg! I was supposed to be hanging out with some of you guys in LA tonight. Whatever, this is how it's going to be during the year anyways. I might as well get used to it. I was planning on hitting the lab Sunday just to check out those nerves, arteries, and veins again, but I find out Sunday's the only day we can't be in there...bummer. I just can't seem to concentrate any further after a full day of anatomy lecture only, yet alone hit the lab up for another hour or so. Hopefully variety during the year will cure this ADD I'm suddenly hit with. But other than that, things are kicking. Hope to meet the rest of you guys on the 7th. :) :)

By the way, one of the profs tells us the amount of anatomy COMP prepares us for is typically more intense than other DO schools, and even more intense than our counterpart MDs. As for the curriculum changes they've been talking about, we'll still have about the same amount of material to cover, but the only difference is that they're going to cut off a few hours of in- class time. How nice of them to think about us. Now instead of 8-5 it's only a mere 8-4, woo hoo!!! So on top of the basic sciences we've got to learn with our MD counterparts, we've got OMM, AP Gross Anatomy, and longer class hours to deal with too, yeah!!!!!

Dammit Robb, i knew i should have gone to Touro, or the Harvard of the Caribbean, ...

i just saw planet of the apes, it was aight, the cameo by Chuck Heston was tight..

if anyone wants to study today ( sunday) email me, vdubpower@aol
....im having a hell of time learning the damn forearm muscles

peace

whats up everyone...

vdub...yeah we gotta meet soon. too bad u couldn't make it over to our pad at plaza. i met just about everyone else there :D (kinda a nice surprise while trying to move in). anyhow i'll see ya soon

later
prit

Hey Halcyon- I see you're online right now.. I was just about to post something. Kind of a slow Sunday for me.. gotta take care of one thing first then grab some food.

Vdub- Hey.. just thinking about it this way.. you WILL get through anatomy and the rest of the courses.. and when you're out, you'll have the upper hand when it comes to knowing your stuff back and forth. Doesn't that sound good? :p (worth the extra hours in class. Besides, all of us are in it for the long haul.. )

RobbC- Hey, we'll have to talk about what that prof you talked to said.. interesting that he said they would try and cut down some of the hours. I can see how they might if they restructure a few of the lab classes.. but I think that is dependent on which professor takes the initiative to do so. As a whole, the entire curriculum change won't take place though. It'll be good if they do cut off a few hours.. maybe we could get to LA Fitness before the crowd gets there (it gets a lot busier between 4:30 and 5pm.

So you were studying last night instead of hanging out with us? Doh.. well, do what you gotta to feel confident when you're in class.. that's the important thing.

Anyway, maybe I am going to change my tune when I have to wake up at 7:45am every morning, but hopefully I will feel better that we are getting used to such a tough schedule early in our med school careers. It certainly doesn't get easier during some rotations.. heh.

Hey Robb,
I was just thinking myself about when I could get into the lab to review. Friday was just way too much! I would be willing to hit the lab with ya manana after class. Tuesday's open as well (Tues before class would work as well). I think the only rule was that we need to go in there with a TA??? Let me know if you're interested!
S.
:)

Actually,
That's strange that the anatomy lab is no longer open on Sundays.. I want to double-check that. There are still other people who need access to the anatomy lab as well as you guys. As strict as they are about lab policy, it also seems like anyone could just walk in to study the cadavers. At any rate, I probably will go in on Monday to hang out at the anatomy lab and see if I remember anything.. it'll be good to refresh everything I forgot.

Count me in for the lab too....I need all the practice I can get....I wasn't sure if we were allowed to go into the lab before/after class...

I studied again today!!!

after a little tanning of course....

Tanning, lol, ill never need that...

hey im down with goin into lab, keeps me awake. hopefully it will help me get the upper hand on things... hey lets try to go in right after lunch, not too late in the day when we get all tired,

peace

You all are too funny.

One day until I'm in Cali!

Have to pack the truck....that is when they tell me there is a truck to pack....

Moving is such great fun!

Anyone who wants to say hello, come on by tommorow after class.
Eagle Canyon
13350 Covey Ct. Apt A

If you need directions, ask VDUB.

Steph

Steph,
Call me when you get in...I have to pick up my car tomm...so I will be in and out all day....

Talk to you, and see ya tomm...safe driving!!

yosh-where did you say you rented your car from?

thanks

Hey Steph- wow.. getting in tomorrow already? I'll be driving around with Yosh recovering his shipped car and getting my PPD tomorrow. You gonna need any help moving in?

pyoj- hey Jay, John got his car from the rental place at Ontario Airport.. not sure which company though. Where did you say you would be living.. in Claremont? (sorry.. bad memory)

I guess this is a plee to the mac users out there...

Can anyone lend me a copy of office 2001 for mac so I wouldn't have to buy it? Or even virtual pc?

Also...what do you guys think about those external firewire hardrives? I am thinking of going with the 10 gig ibook or G4 simply because the 20 gig G4 powerbook is way expensive and the 20 gig ibook would take tooo long to configure at mac and ship...or is it worth using my girlfriends pentium 1 laptop until the 20 gig ibook is delivered?

or should I spend the cash and get the 10 gig G4 on ebay...

arrrrghhh i can't decide

well anyways...back to studying for SAP

Melancholy,

Yeah at this point any help would be great. I'm not sure how much more of my bros help I can take.

See ya tomorrow.
Stephanie

I probably can help too....just call me!!

I'll be in Gross Lab until ~6pm...but I am free after..

Docmartin
Hey, I skipped the afternoon session today just to have time to hit up the lab. I was in there and the mortician gave Wildpanda and myself a nice long lecture about taking care of the bodies...even though it wasn't our fault that the previous students messed up. Oh well, we were stuck with making sure all the bodies were taken care of.
Steph
Hey, after moving in why don't you pass by and say hello. You can even get a head start by chillin' with us in the lab.
Melancholy
If you're up to it, you can always help us out in the lab tomorrow. Maybe with your help, I'll be ready for the practical. Wildpanda and myself were having difficulties with one of the tendons in the anterior forearm, and we later found out it was a freakin' nerve.... :mad: Whatever, at least I'm sure I won't make the same mistake again, I hope :confused:
VDUB
Yeah, go ahead and bring your pool stick so you won't have anymore excuses when I beat you :D

Until tomorrow, later!

Steph- I try stopping over when I have time tomorrow.. I might have some time earlier in the day, but I have to drive down to have dinner with my old co-workers in Huntington Beach (in Orange County.. about 40 minutes SW of Pomona). I have your address so I'll check around perhaps.

RobbC- Hey Rob, was Nina the lady who talked to you regarding the cadavers? She obviously cares a lot about the cadavers. Just think about the cadavers as her personal friends.. because she doesn't tolerate anything in terms of negligence with taking care of the bodies and even just leaving atlases laying on the bodies while you are dissecting. Learning to keep her happy now will prevent a lot of extra stress in the future. (Can you tell I've already heard a few lectures from her?) The TA's for ISAC had to listen to her quite a bit too. We took pretty good care of our cadavers for the most part, although some parts just tend to dry up very fast.. and people do get careless once in awhile. Since cadavers will have to last for the entire semester, make sure to take good care of your own cadaver in the semester.. it'll make a big difference in the long run.

I need to brush up on my upper extremities, but I will try and pop in. I'm still confused on what times you're actually in lab.. I'll try to catch you at lunch to see what your plans out I guess.

robb, its on now, forget lab, we are gonna get doctorates in billiards

iiiiifffff uuuuuuu ssssmmmmmeeeeellllll wwwwhhhhhaaaaaatttttt ttttthhhhhheeeeee rrrroooooccckkkkkk iiiisssss cccccooooookkkiiiiinnnnnggggg

oh hell yeah i watch rasslin :D

lanny-and everyone else who gives a crap...i'll be living in Plum Tree Apts. in Claremont.

by the way, what is you guy's schedule at the end of this week. i get in on thursday so i'll have to give you people a call.f

until then...
~j

Less than 24 hours, me and my u-haul will be heading west to join you guys. I'm thinking I'll stop by school on the 6th to take care of some business. Anybody going to be available for some lunch? It would be great to see some faces to go with the names.

Status
Not open for further replies.