Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by danimjo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interviewed 10/15

3.4 sGPA, 3.4 uGPA
27m (9, 9, 9)

It was my first interview, I was nervous. I had received a priority interview.

Well at first glance, your numbers are solid and you likely have a good shot at getting in somewhere this year if you applied smartly. I think last year Western's waitlist didn't move because they overaccepted people. It might be different this year. Don't give up yet. 🙂 From speaking with their admissions personnel, they seem to look favorably on update letters, new LOR, and continued interest in the school.
 
Last edited:
Ugh. I just got put on the alternate list. I was told that last year they didn't take anybody from the list. I am so disappointed and trying not to give up hope.

I was a re-applicant this year and the most important thing is to stay positive and don't give up. Besides being put on the alternate list is better then a straight rejection. Good luck :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long does it take for a reply after your secondary?

Seems to vary a lot. I got an invite 3 days after I was marked complete and I know of one guy that got an invite the next day, but some in this thread have had to wait 1-2 months. It may depend on your stats and the overall competitiveness of your application.
 
How long does it take for a reply after your secondary?

I was shocked when I heard back within a week of submitting my secondary. But I do think it varies especially now because they are probably getting hundreds of secondaries every day
 
Are you asking about standardized patients or a simulation center? They're two totally different things. Standardized patients... yes. Simulation center where med students practice on robotic mannequins... no.

Thank you, yes, I was referring to a simulation center. That is good info about the standardized pts too though. Thanks! I think the RN program has simulators.
 
Thank you, yes, I was referring to a simulation center. That is good info about the standardized pts too though. Thanks! I think the RN program has simulators.

Apparently the new health education building might have a simulation center being built? Found a news posting on Western's website describing a large donation made in Jan 2009 and how part of that donation will be used to create the Sarkaria Human Simulation Center. Here's the link: http://www.westernu.edu/lecture/news.html

Perhaps current students with more inside knowledge can comment.
 
I was shocked when I heard back within a week of submitting my secondary. But I do think it varies especially now because they are probably getting hundreds of secondaries every day

I will totally volunteer to help them sort out those applications. And accidentally sneak my application into the "accepted, with full ride" pile. 😛
 
I will totally volunteer to help them sort out those applications. And accidentally sneak my application into the "accepted, with full ride" pile. 😛

Scummie, your profile pictures are always amusing. 😀

Does anyone know anything about the structure of Western's 3rd and 4th year rotations? I'm having trouble finding any specific information about them, aside from a list of hospitals. I guess the biggie is whether the schools set up the rotations for the students, or if students are stuck with the task of getting their own rotations...
 
Scummie, your profile pictures are always amusing. 😀

Does anyone know anything about the structure of Western's 3rd and 4th year rotations? I'm having trouble finding any specific information about them, aside from a list of hospitals. I guess the biggie is whether the schools set up the rotations for the students, or if students are stuck with the task of getting their own rotations...


I know they include City of Hope (pretty damn awesome for peds, I'd think) Arrowhead, and a bunch of places our around San Bernardino. The only negative I could see in the list is that the different locations were pretty far flung, and it'd be a trek to commute out to, say, Arrowhead every day.

Not that I'll be rotating any of these places, but still...

I got the impression they were pre-arranged, the only exception being your electives, which you pursue. I think that's the way it's done at any half-way decent school.
 
There are set tracks that you can rank, where you choose which rotation where and when, and then a computer chooses which one you get, based on your rankings and other's rankings.

After that, you have the opportunity to trade each specific rotation with others. It's pretty structured, which I think is good.

Edit: This is for the third year, I'm not exactly sure how the 4th year works.
 
Last edited:
I interviewed on October 17th as well. I just got an acceptance from another school so I called Western to see where my application was in the process. It turns out that even though they said they would tell you your status within two weeks, not all the applicants who went through an interview on the 17th have had their files go through the admissions committee yet. I was in group 17 and they said they only got through group 15 or 16.

Hope that helps:scared:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on October 17th as well. I just got an acceptance from another school so I called Western to see where my application was in the process. It turns out that even though they said they would tell you your status within two weeks, not all the applicants who went through an interview on the 17th have had their files go through the admissions committee yet. I was in group 17 and they said they only got through group 15 or 16.

Hope that helps:scared:

really?! I interviewed on 10/24 and sent in acceptance letter from another school.. got my result over the phone on 10/30...
 
i have heard you guys talking a lot about cali, but why in particular are you guys choosing western over other DO schools??? i have not seen the campus yet, what are the facilities like? and what do current students think of the program?
 
i have heard you guys talking a lot about cali, but why in particular are you guys choosing western over other DO schools??? i have not seen the campus yet, what are the facilities like? and what do current students think of the program?

Western is probably the most established DO school in the west... the facilities are somewhat nice, but they are building brand new education and patient care buildings, opening in a few months, and they should be very nice.

Students match well, and the rotations are pretty good, supposedly.
 
I know they include City of Hope (pretty damn awesome for peds, I'd think) Arrowhead, and a bunch of places our around San Bernardino. The only negative I could see in the list is that the different locations were pretty far flung, and it'd be a trek to commute out to, say, Arrowhead every day.

Not that I'll be rotating any of these places, but still...

I got the impression they were pre-arranged, the only exception being your electives, which you pursue. I think that's the way it's done at any half-way decent school.

That was the impression I got as well, but I wanted to be sure, rather than simply assume.

There are set tracks that you can rank, where you choose which rotation where and when, and then a computer chooses which one you get, based on your rankings and other's rankings.

After that, you have the opportunity to trade each specific rotation with others. It's pretty structured, which I think is good.

Edit: This is for the third year, I'm not exactly sure how the 4th year works.

Sounds pretty cool... do you know where I can find more information about this?

And yeah, it seems like the third year is filled with required rotations that should be a little more set, only about three months worth of required rotations in year 4... it also sounded on interview day like any international rotations probably needed to be set up on your own.

i have heard you guys talking a lot about cali, but why in particular are you guys choosing western over other DO schools??? i have not seen the campus yet, what are the facilities like? and what do current students think of the program?

Well, you've gotta understand, California people never want to leave California, but on the other hand, it's very difficult to get into California schools. So that's really a huge plus here.

On the other hand, there are a lot of reasons even a non-California person would want to be here. The facilities are excellent and seem fairly new (especially with the new building going up). They have excellent early clinical experiences and a great basic science curriculum. They have a strong emphasis on OMM and seem pretty focused on building student skill levels there. The students there seem really happy- everyone we passed on our tour was smiling at us, saying hi, and wishing us luck, while the students we had lunch with described their experience as overwhelmingly positive. All lectures are on video podcasts synced up to the powerpoint, so you can use that instead of lecture if it's a better use of your time. Students also seem very cooperative and share notes and study aids through an online forum. The curriculum and testing works well- they test every other Monday, which lets you get into a rhythm, and they also use the USMLE shelf exam to help you prepare for boards. You're also in unique situation where you can live in good neighborhoods while working with a population in immense need (and practice your medical spanish!).

Overall, this is just a great place. The match lists are great, and I have a lot of faith that this place will make you a great, sensitive, caring clinician.
 
i have heard you guys talking a lot about cali, but why in particular are you guys choosing western over other DO schools??? i have not seen the campus yet, what are the facilities like? and what do current students think of the program?

98.9% first time pass rate on the boards, many california residencies reserved for western students, huge gross anatomy lab and OMM room. Standardized patients starting week three of first year, diversity of rotations in southern california, case studies in groups with PA and RN students (to get a feel of what it will be like working as a team in real life)....wow I could probably keep going. The other DO schools I looked at on the west coast were all fairly young and didn't seem to have it together as much as Western (i.e. A.T. STill (SOMA), Touro NV, AZCOM) I had an interview for Nov. 9th at Touro Ca but was so happy with Western I canceled it
 
Well, you've gotta understand, California people never want to leave California, but on the other hand, it's very difficult to get into California schools. So that's really a huge plus here.

trudat.gif


I spent 2 years in Boston for an SMP before returning to my beloved So Cal. I will never complain about freeway traffic or the weather ever again. California, it's better than crack.

On the other hand, there are a lot of reasons even a non-California person would want to be here. The facilities are excellent and seem fairly new (especially with the new building going up). They have excellent early clinical experiences and a great basic science curriculum. They have a strong emphasis on OMM and seem pretty focused on building student skill levels there. The students there seem really happy- everyone we passed on our tour was smiling at us, saying hi, and wishing us luck, while the students we had lunch with described their experience as overwhelmingly positive. All lectures are on video podcasts synced up to the powerpoint, so you can use that instead of lecture if it's a better use of your time. Students also seem very cooperative and share notes and study aids through an online forum. The curriculum and testing works well- they test every other Monday, which lets you get into a rhythm, and they also use the USMLE shelf exam to help you prepare for boards. You're also in unique situation where you can live in good neighborhoods while working with a population in immense need (and practice your medical spanish!).

I concur as a current COMP student.
 
Is there anyone who interviewed at Western/COMP on the 15th, and still has not received any letter from them?
 
I interviewed on 10/24 and have not heard anything (I'm totally not surprised and understand that it's still early). However, I got accepted to WVSOM today, and I'm having a dilemma here...

Should I call Western tomorrow and tell them I got an acceptance, and see if they can expedite my decision? It seems like several people here have done this with positive results... But I've been hearing from other people that this is NOT a good thing to do, because Western will then know that I was accepted elsewhere and will want to give my seat to someone else. Sorry if I'm being paranoid, but is this true?

Also, I do not have an official acceptance letter yet. I just found out online. If Western requires an acceptance letter as proof, I might just wait a few days for the letter to come first before I make any calls.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 🙂 Thank you!
 
I interviewed on 10/24 and have not heard anything (I'm totally not surprised and understand that it's still early). However, I got accepted to WVSOM today, and I'm having a dilemma here...

Should I call Western tomorrow and tell them I got an acceptance, and see if they can expedite my decision? It seems like several people here have done this with positive results... But I've been hearing from other people that this is NOT a good thing to do, because Western will then know that I was accepted elsewhere and will want to give my seat to someone else. Sorry if I'm being paranoid, but is this true?

Also, I do not have an official acceptance letter yet. I just found out online. If Western requires an acceptance letter as proof, I might just wait a few days for the letter to come first before I make any calls.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 🙂 Thank you!


From what I've heard, although I have no personal experience doing it, they will tell you your decision faster if you let them know you have an acceptance somewhere.
 
From what I've heard, although I have no personal experience doing it, they will tell you your decision faster if you let them know you have an acceptance somewhere.

That's what I thought! Plus, Western's admissions staff told us specifically that we could call them if we were accepted elsewhere... It's just that now I'm hearing mixed reports about all of this, so I wanted to try and straighten it out. Thanks for such a quick reply. 🙂
 
That's what I thought! Plus, Western's admissions staff told us specifically that we could call them if we were accepted elsewhere... It's just that now I'm hearing mixed reports about all of this, so I wanted to try and straighten it out. Thanks for such a quick reply. 🙂

Last year they gave me my decision by phone once I faxed them my other acceptance letter....which was a requirement for this service.

Good Luck!
 
That's what I thought! Plus, Western's admissions staff told us specifically that we could call them if we were accepted elsewhere... It's just that now I'm hearing mixed reports about all of this, so I wanted to try and straighten it out. Thanks for such a quick reply. 🙂

Same as EricH. Last year, I called and faxed over my acceptance letter and received the result over the phone. However, that was after the date which the admission staff told us the result would've been mailed out. So essentially, the result was on its way, and I just got it earlier. Use other school's letter this way is better than using them to hurry Western making a decision for you.
 
I had an interview for Nov. 9th at Touro Ca but was so happy with Western I canceled it

Haha, are you serious? I'm interviewing there on the 9th as well... we could've had two interviews together. Haha... though at this point, I'm pretty much only using this as an excuse to go home for the weekend.

I interviewed on 10/24 and have not heard anything (I'm totally not surprised and understand that it's still early). However, I got accepted to WVSOM today, and I'm having a dilemma here...

Should I call Western tomorrow and tell them I got an acceptance, and see if they can expedite my decision? It seems like several people here have done this with positive results... But I've been hearing from other people that this is NOT a good thing to do, because Western will then know that I was accepted elsewhere and will want to give my seat to someone else. Sorry if I'm being paranoid, but is this true?

Also, I do not have an official acceptance letter yet. I just found out online. If Western requires an acceptance letter as proof, I might just wait a few days for the letter to come first before I make any calls.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 🙂 Thank you!

Look at it this way: the only reason you would need to hear from Western more quickly would be to avoid putting down money to go to a school you like less than them. So by asking them to expedite the process, you're saying, "Hey, I don't want to pay a deposit for WVSOM if I can get in to Western, so tell me quick!" Good luck!
 
Haha, are you serious? I'm interviewing there on the 9th as well... we could've had two interviews together. Haha... though at this point, I'm pretty much only using this as an excuse to go home for the weekend.


Thats is funny! we must have been sending out our secondaries at the same time :laugh: Have fun at home and good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If any current students here, I don't remember them explicitly answering the question about whether attendance was mandatory or not - any insight?
 
I'm not a current student, but there is no mandatory attendance policy, as far as I know.

Gross anatomy lab is required attendance. Similarly we had daily quizes in gross anatomy and head and neck anatomy, but after those quizes you were free to leave.
 
Gross anatomy lab is required attendance. Similarly we had daily quizes in gross anatomy and head and neck anatomy, but after those quizes you were free to leave.

Very nice.

I'm still trying to decide over here and nova.... ahhhh decisions..
 
What's your thought process like? What are your reasons for going to Western over Nova and vice versa?

Well I'm thinking too far ahead, b/c if i get WICHE, the decision is obvious.

Outside of that, I liked the way the studies were structured at western better, having tests every 2 weeks or so rather than blocked exams.

I also liked their better pass rates. Rotation sites and match lists were about on par with each other.

Western's new bldg is also going to be nice.

The students at NOVA seemed like they like the school more than the ones at western.
 
Well I'm thinking too far ahead, b/c if i get WICHE, the decision is obvious.

Outside of that, I liked the way the studies were structured at western better, having tests every 2 weeks or so rather than blocked exams.

I also liked their better pass rates. Rotation sites and match lists were about on par with each other.

Western's new bldg is also going to be nice.

The students at NOVA seemed like they like the school more than the ones at western.

If the only reason why you are still considering NOVA, is that on your 8 hour visit to Western, you thought students' were not as happy, then I think you should visit Western again and make sure you feel comfortable rejecting a school based on perceived happiness. I made these same assumptions too when I was deciding- you have to base your decision on something, right? But as a current student, I feel very confident in guaranteeing that students are happy here. We all have social lives, we have fun together with class socials and events, and I can honestly say I love my class- this process of being a medical school student would be really difficult without them all. It is quite probable that your visit to our campus was right after or before an exam, or the students you were seeing were Pharmacy, NOT DO, because we share a building, and I honestly can not comment on the quality of life of Pharm students. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me 🙂
 
Thanks EricH, antapolar, and JediZero. I actually called Western this morning and the lady told me that she could tell me my status... if I send in a letter. 😛 WVSOM's letter is coming in about 2-3 days, so I'll probably know by then!

It was scary because she made it sound like they had already made a decision... Eeeeep. Ohhh waiting is so painful! 😛
 
for those who flew in to LAX, how did you make it to the school?

I'd fly into Ontario if possible.. although flights may be harder to find or more expensive since Ontario is a significantly smaller airport. But LAX is almost 50 miles away from the school. You'd either have to take a taxi (expensive, especially with traffic), rent a car, or navigate public transit somehow (would imagine this would be a huge pain).
 
Last edited:
for those who flew in to LAX, how did you make it to the school?

As calimed said, I would also fly to Ontario airport. That's what I did and it worked out wonderfully. Also - try and stay at the Shilo Inn. They offer free shuttle service to and from the airport, and to the school!
 
As calimed said, I would also fly to Ontario airport. That's what I did and it worked out wonderfully. Also - try and stay at the Shilo Inn. They offer free shuttle service to and from the airport, and to the school!

The reason why I'm flying into LAX is because it is a 140 dollar price difference =/ I'm planning to stay at my bf's sisters place (she goes to Western) so housing won't be a problem but getting there will be! lol. If i end up having trouble finding a ride or decently priced shuttle, i may change my flight to ONT =/

updatee--- i found a much cheaper flight to ont! yay!! thanks.
 
Last edited:
The reason why I'm flying into LAX is because it is a 140 dollar price difference =/ I'm planning to stay at my bf's sisters place (she goes to Western) so housing won't be a problem but getting there will be! lol. If i end up having trouble finding a ride or decently priced shuttle, i may change my flight to ONT =/

Yeah unfortunately you may end up spending all the money you saved on a ride to and from the school. How does your bf's sister get to school?? That seems like a really long commute!
 
Yeah unfortunately you may end up spending all the money you saved on a ride to and from the school. How does your bf's sister get to school?? That seems like a really long commute!


yeah i found a decent price to ONT so it'll be much more convenient now. 😀 I'm really excited for this interview.

I think she actually lives in Claremont. Seems like many Western students do.. I heard it is a lot nicer than Pomona.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah i found a decent price to ONT so it'll be much more convenient now. 😀 I'm really excited for this interview.

I think she actually lives in Claremont. Seems like many Western students do.. I heard it is a lot nicer than Pomona.

Oh nice. I thought you were saying she lived in LA. Claremont is super cute!!! If I get in I am definitely going to look for housing in that area! Good luck to you!
 
For those that already interviewed/current students...

What time will the interview day end if I'm one of the last to be interviewed? Thanks in advance.
 
Since there was a brief mention of airports, if anyone is looking for travel arrangments, also consider Orange County/John Wayne airport (code: SNA).
 
For those that already interviewed/current students...

What time will the interview day end if I'm one of the last to be interviewed? Thanks in advance.
The day I interviewed, the last batch of interviews were done around 4pm. I think we had about 30 people that day. Others in this thread have said that 80+ people interviewed not too long ago. I bet they just had more interviewers for that day and that they too finished around 4pm.