Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by danimjo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Thanks JediZero
I remember you from the Touro interview in Nevada on the 5th. I got accepted there too but I liked Western a lot better

Haha... I didn't realize it was you. Hi! But yes, definitely same story here 😀

Interviewed today and yea definitely an amazing school. Crazy interview day with 80-100 students interviewing.

Seriously? There were only 30-40 the day I interviewed... no idea how you fit everyone into that lecture hall... but yeah, still the largest group of interviewees I've seen.

Haha the envelope doesn't matter at all! Mine was a 6x9 and I got accepted.

The admissions people told me that they basically don't like the application being folded up so tiny. Just don't use a normal business-size envelope. Though I have to admit, I forgot and just used a normal envelope, and they accepted me anyway. 😛
 
Yea there were like 23 groups usually with 4 students in each group. They told us this was the last Saturday they were interviewing people so I guess they wanted to lump in as many as possible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on 10/1 and was accepted ! Woo hoo class of 2014. I sent my deposit and everyting is official. Good luck to everyone else interviewing:soexcited:

Congrats me too! We interviewed together but I'm not sure if we met. I'm trying to decide but Western is great!
 
hey French "MD" you need a new handle 😛

Not too many french peeps in the class....I think I've got your number...146?


Wooaat? no couldn't possibly be me... anyone know how to change your user name without getting a new account?
 
Congrats me too! We interviewed together but I'm not sure if we met. I'm trying to decide but Western is great!

I am just so glad I know where I am going next year; it's like all the stress has been lifted from my shoulders. I loved western, 98% first time pass rate on boards, great resident matches and in southern California....wow I was sold. Good luck making your choice and congrats on making the cut! :highfive:
 
French MD, EricH, Siggy.... all need new handles... LOL

Congrats to those been accepted and those who got interviews...

If any of you guys have questions and want answers... ask the above people... if you want straight non-bs stuff about the school... well ask me. 😉
 
I just finished VCU's Certificate program and I applied both MD and DO schools (AZCOM and Western). I'd definitely be happy with attending Western. I have a low undergrad GPA but a good grad GPA and MCAT. Here's hoping they can look past my past and focus on my present. I think they recognize VCU's program since there's 2 current Western students who did VCU's program as well.
 
Western always teases me with information about their school. I get really excited for a second and then I read the rest of the e-mail...🙁
 
French MD, EricH, Siggy.... all need new handles... LOL

Congrats to those been accepted and those who got interviews...

If any of you guys have questions and want answers... ask the above people... if you want straight non-bs stuff about the school... well ask me. 😉


Watch out VIciouz... I heard you were the expert on professionalism.... 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So you guys M1s there, do you pack your lunch or what? -Since there isn't a cafeteria on campus (that I know of). Where are the accounting, finance, IT jobs in the area?
 
So you guys M1s there, do you pack your lunch or what? -Since there isn't a cafeteria on campus (that I know of). Where are the accounting, finance, IT jobs in the area?

Most pack lunch on most days, but it's more financial in nature. There are a handful of eateries close to campus and despite the hype, Pomona isn't bad at all during the day. One thing I appreciate it that the lower income nature of the area means that the food is cheaper and pretty darn good. There is a $1 taco place on mission that is VERY popular. Subway is always a class favorite.

Bottom line: food isn't an issue. I don't know anything about the local employment scene.
 
I heard of a cafe in the new building


Since school started Aladin Jr 2 ( decent Mediterranean), Saffron (salad, sandwich and coffee), The Pomona Bakery (pizza, coffee, mac n cheese) have all opened walking distance they are good and fairly cheap. I usually pack my lunch as well (it is cheaper) bt if i forget/have no time to pack it in the morning there are many options.
 
So you guys M1s there, do you pack your lunch or what? -Since there isn't a cafeteria on campus (that I know of). Where are the accounting, finance, IT jobs in the area?

If I don't pack, I'll do Senior Baja (aformentioned awesome Mexican place. Try their steak quesadilla as well...), or Flame Broiled (steak or chicken rice bowl place. 10% off with student ID). There's also a pizza place (questionable service), Quiznos, and a Subway nearby. On the other side of the track, there's a Jack in the Crack, Churches Chicken, El Polo Loco, a Chinese food place, and a few other places (note: I can not vouch for the quality, or lack there of, for any of the places on the 'other side of the tracks').
 
Has anyone from the Oct 15th interview date heard anything back yet? I'm getting antsy to hear....they told us 10-15 days right?
 
Has anyone from the Oct 15th interview date heard anything back yet? I'm getting antsy to hear....they told us 10-15 days right?

I interviewed the same day. I'd say expect a letter in the mail by Saturday or early next week at the very latest (depending on where u live)
 
Thanks EricH, Siggy, and FrenchMD for your replies.

What's parking like? After you pay the annual fee and got a permit, do you have difficulty finding a spot anytime/certain time of the day?
 
Last edited:
Can someone confirm this?

The Dean mentioned vendor space in the new commons, but stopped short of confirming new eateries. Call the school and they can tell you.

What's parking like?

So far it's fairly easy. When the new building opens the huge parking structure will be next door and parking will be easy as pie.
 
What's parking like? After you pay the annual fee and got a permit, do you have difficulty finding a spot anytime/certain time of the day?

I take a weird route onto campus because I live up near the 10 and like hitting the parking on 1st street (Indian Hill Blvd to Holt to Reservoir to Second St. to what ever the first street that cuts back to First if you want to look it up on Google Maps) and generally I don't have any trouble finding close parking in the lot on 1st. Of course that lot is a complete pain to get to if you don't know how. In general if I can't find a spot back there, there's a spot over behind the Helix apartment building. Only once or twice when I was coming really late did I have trouble finding any parking at all.

So far it's fairly easy. When the new building opens the huge parking structure will be next door and parking will be easy as pie.


I think parking will be guaranteed, but I think that the garage will be people's last choice. The first several floors of the new structure is reserved for clinic patients. Of course it'll also be a lot easier to use once they reopen Second St.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you guys are wondering when your file is going to get reviewed, this is what I've been told:

For applicants that have just interviewed, the admissions committee meets the following week.

For applicants who are still waiting to be reviewed, this can take anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks.




Also, they take your higher MCAT score.
 
Accepted via snail mail today. 🙂

Edit: Coming back to add a lot more smileys to my post. Not positive that Western is where I'll end up after the application season is over, but it's just sinking in that I'm definitely going to go to med school next year. Holy crap.
:soexcited::highfive::clap::claps::banana:
 
Last edited:
Accepted via snail mail today. 🙂

Edit: Coming back to add a lot more smileys to my post. Not positive that Western is where I'll end up after the application season is over, but it's just sinking in that I'm definitely going to go to med school next year. Holy crap.
:soexcited::highfive::clap::claps::banana:

Just curious when was your interview?
 
Congrats calimed! Really happy for you. We might be classmates next year!

Hey thanks! 🙂 I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked Western and clicked with the people there, so yeah, definitely a possibility. Congrats to you as well!
 
Accepted 🙂

Congrats All of the new (potential) 2014'ers!

Aleksxxx: Dude.....7 power lifting records??!? Is this you?

Body%2Bbuilding..jpg
 
Anybody know if they send acceptances/rejections/waitlists out at the same time? Trying to figure out if I haven't heard anything because the news is bad or because I live out in the middle of nowhere and our mail's slow...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone; trying to remember, does COMP have pt simulators? Thanks!

Are you asking about standardized patients or a simulation center? They're two totally different things. Standardized patients... yes. Simulation center where med students practice on robotic mannequins... no.
 
Ugh. I just got put on the alternate list. I was told that last year they didn't take anybody from the list. I am so disappointed and trying not to give up hope.
 
Ugh. I just got put on the alternate list. I was told that last year they didn't take anybody from the list. I am so disappointed and trying not to give up hope.

when did you interview? Also if you dont mind me asking...what were your stats? good luck my friend
 
interviewed 10/15

3.4 sGPA, 3.4 uGPA
27m (9, 9, 9)

It was my first interview, I was nervous. I had received a priority interview.