Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by danimjo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The day I interviewed, the last batch of interviews were done around 4pm. I think we had about 30 people that day. Others in this thread have said that 80+ people interviewed not too long ago. I bet they just had more interviewers for that day and that they too finished around 4pm.

I interviewed on the Saturday that had about 100 people... And we actually got out around 2-2:30 pm. 🙂 I think it may depend on whether it's a weekday or weekend interview.
 
I interviewed on the Saturday that had about 100 people... And we actually got out around 2-2:30 pm. 🙂 I think it may depend on whether it's a weekday or weekend interview.


Am I reading this correctly...? 30+, 80+, 100+ interviewees?! What?! As in... that many people going on the tour... eating lunch...? This is the largest number i have EVER seen for any school.
 
I also interviewed on the day where we had 100 people. Like the above poster said, we got out around 2-2:30 pm. However, our interviews ran from 10-12pm. I actually liked it better in the morning bc i could get it over quickly. So i guess if you're the last one being interviewed on you'll finish interviewing by 12pm. the day that i interviewed was a saturday so i'm guessing it must be different if you're interviewing on a weekday.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I'm thinking too far ahead, b/c if i get WICHE, the decision is obvious.

Outside of that, I liked the way the studies were structured at western better, having tests every 2 weeks or so rather than blocked exams.

I also liked their better pass rates. Rotation sites and match lists were about on par with each other.

Western's new bldg is also going to be nice.

The students at NOVA seemed like they like the school more than the ones at western.

Nova and Western are pretty similar, and they are both fantastic schools. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them. I also agree with the sentiment that your perception of less-happy students at Western is probably wrong- the impression I got was that students at both schools loved their school, their program and their classmates. Really, I think the most significant difference between these two is the location. So pick a coast and go with it...

And for anyone still set on flying into LAX... do yourself a favor and just rent a car. Taxis are freaking expensive (especially with the meter running in traffic), and public transportation is nonexistent. But if you can, fly into Ontario.
 
I was finally marked complete on Oct 28, had some problems with my letter from my lab supervisor (MD/PhD) not qualifying as a physician letter and finally had that cleared up. Does anyone know how long the turnaround is for interview invites around this time? So far my only response from a DO is LECOM-B and I just got the interview invite there yesterday. I'm hoping to at least hear back and guage what my chances are with other schools before I leave for that interview
 
Generally speaking LAX has more flight options(in terms of schedule) and is cheaper. A rental car runs in the $20/day range plus all associated expenses(gas, tax, airport fee, etc). Good thing is you have the freedom to drive around on your own time. If you have the weekday interview, have $1.50 ready in quarters, for the parking permit.

Nova and Western are pretty similar, and they are both fantastic schools. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them. I also agree with the sentiment that your perception of less-happy students at Western is probably wrong- the impression I got was that students at both schools loved their school, their program and their classmates. Really, I think the most significant difference between these two is the location. So pick a coast and go with it...

And for anyone still set on flying into LAX... do yourself a favor and just rent a car. Taxis are freaking expensive (especially with the meter running in traffic), and public transportation is nonexistent. But if you can, fly into Ontario.
 
I was finally marked complete on Oct 28, had some problems with my letter from my lab supervisor (MD/PhD) not qualifying as a physician letter and finally had that cleared up. Does anyone know how long the turnaround is for interview invites around this time? So far my only response from a DO is LECOM-B and I just got the interview invite there yesterday. I'm hoping to at least hear back and guage what my chances are with other schools before I leave for that interview

I was complete 2 weeks ago and got an invite yesterday. It is definitely hard to play the waiting game but they're making their way through the files 🙂
 
I was complete 2 weeks ago and got an invite yesterday. It is definitely hard to play the waiting game but they're making their way through the files 🙂

Sounds like they still are making a fairly quick turnaround, better than the 4-6 weeks someone was recently quoted for CCOM. I'm playing the waiting game and hoping currently since Western still sits atop my list of schools mostly due to its location being close to home haha when were the earliest interview dates available?
 
Sounds like they still are making a fairly quick turnaround, better than the 4-6 weeks someone was recently quoted for CCOM. I'm playing the waiting game and hoping currently since Western still sits atop my list of schools mostly due to its location being close to home haha when were the earliest interview dates available?


Yeah, talk about speedy- I was complete 5 days ago and already got an interview invite for 11/19. That was the soonest available. They said their next interview day is December 3rd, but they don't have a Saturday interview until Feb 6th. Hope that helps 🙂

For those of you from Cali, what's Pomona like? I'm from CT but live in OH now and have only been to socal once when I was little
 
does any one know if western does rescheduling if the date they sent us for interview is not a good date? does any one know how far into december they interview? in the email they said they only interview on thursday and sometimes saturdays upon request.
 
Remember what group you were in? . . . and I hope to have that euphoric heart palpating adrenaline rush you must be feeling. Congrats
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, talk about speedy- I was complete 5 days ago and already got an interview invite for 11/19. That was the soonest available. They said their next interview day is December 3rd, but they don't have a Saturday interview until Feb 6th. Hope that helps 🙂

For those of you from Cali, what's Pomona like? I'm from CT but live in OH now and have only been to socal once when I was little

It's not the greatest of city around the LA area. You definitely don't want to live around the Pomona area if you plan on going to school here. There are much better options in terms of affordable housing in nicer areas such as Claremont, and Chino Hills. The weather is great all year round, we don't have 4 seasons here, it's essentially summer all the time. Lots of fun things to do with many things accessible such as the beach, Hollywood, sporting events (GO LAKERS!), Disneyland, etc. I live about 20 minutes away from Western in the Orange County area so if you have questions about the area feel free to ask.
 
it's not the greatest of city around the la area. You definitely don't want to live around the pomona area if you plan on going to school here. There are much better options in terms of affordable housing in nicer areas such as claremont, and chino hills. The weather is great all year round, we don't have 4 seasons here, it's essentially summer all the time. Lots of fun things to do with many things accessible such as the beach, hollywood, sporting events (go Angels), disneyland, etc. I live about 20 minutes away from western in the orange county area so if you have questions about the area feel free to ask.


ftfy.
 
ACCEPTED!!! interviewed on 10/24 (29R 10PS 7VR 12BS) 3.46overall 3.26sc

Congratulations to everyone else who got accepted. This is also my top choice and I cannot be anymore happier.

Western is my top choice because of their curriculum and phenomenal match list. I've only heard great things when talking to previous students. Although Pomona is not a great city, I've grown up in so. cal my whole life and students can easily live in the nicer communities and commute to western no problem...especially how attendance is not mandatory! i plan on living in brea which is only 20 minutes away.

good luck to all who are applying in this cycle.
 
Remember what group you were in? . . . and I hope to have that euphoric heart palpitating adrenaline rush you must be feeling. Congrats!!

Thank you! If you mean my team number, I was in team 6.

It still hasn't quite sunk in yet... I was notified over the phone, and have yet to receive my acceptance letter. I think when I actually hold my letter in my hands, things will start to sink in. 🙂 And I'll probably start crying, haha.

ACCEPTED!!!

Congratulations!!!!
 
Thank you! If you mean my team number, I was in team 6.

It still hasn't quite sunk in yet... I was notified over the phone, and have yet to receive my acceptance letter. I think when I actually hold my letter in my hands, things will start to sink in. 🙂 And I'll probably start crying, haha.



Congratulations!!!!

You were notified over the phone?? Do you think it's bad news for me if I didn't hear from them yet? Did they call you or did you call to find out? I was in group 8, so I'm assuming my decision has also been made. This is definitely my first choice school and I'm so nervous about finding out my decision!!!!
 
You were notified over the phone?? Do you think it's bad news for me if I didn't hear from them yet? Did they call you or did you call to find out? I was in group 8, so I'm assuming my decision has also been made. This is definitely my first choice school and I'm so nervous about finding out my decision!!!!

I sent them an acceptance letter from another school by fax, and they notified me over the phone. I do know that they are a bit behind though on their decisions.

Good luck!!
 
Hey, I am real worried about being able to get into western this late in the process. I cant imagine that they have very many spots left. I am turning in my secondary on Monday. Do you guys think it is to late to get an acceptance?

sGPA 3.95
oGPA 3.72
MCAT 31M

I have worked in an ER for four years as an EMT. Did a mission in Venezuela for two year for my church. Speak fluent spanish. Great DO letter. Please let me know what you think. Thanks
 
I applied later last year (primary verified in December, interviewed in April IIRC) and was number 2 on the waitlist with a guarenteed spot for this upcomming year if I didn't get called up. With stats like that (GPA both significantly higher than mine, but MCAT 3 points lower, but still a good MCAT score (off topic question for the Grammarwaffen out there. Can I use "but" twice in one sentence like that?), I'm hesitant to say that it shouldn't be too late.
 
Just got my acceptance letter in the mail. Really excited about the opportunity to attend WesternU but may end up going elsewhere. It's gonna be a tough decision 😕.
 
Hey, I am real worried about being able to get into western this late in the process. I cant imagine that they have very many spots left. I am turning in my secondary on Monday. Do you guys think it is to late to get an acceptance?

sGPA 3.95
oGPA 3.72
MCAT 31M

I have worked in an ER for four years as an EMT. Did a mission in Venezuela for two year for my church. Speak fluent spanish. Great DO letter. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Absolutely! those are great Stats and it isn't really "late" in the process yet. A lot of students who get accepted this early change their mind later on. With your experience, GPA and MCAT I would bet money that you get invited for an interview. Once you do you just need to put your best foot forward and answer their questions with confidence and truth from your heart and your in 😉
 
Anyone else who has already sent in their deposit having trouble loging into the email account they set up? I followed the password directions on the letter but its not working.
 
Anyone else who has already sent in their deposit having trouble loging into the email account they set up? I followed the password directions on the letter but its not working.

Yeah I did. I had to call the number on the letter and they told me to type westernu as my password and it worked. Then I went to options and changed my password. Hope that helps 👍
 
Anyone else who has already sent in their deposit having trouble loging into the email account they set up? I followed the password directions on the letter but its not working.

I received an email confirming my first deposit but no reference to an email account. Did that come via email or later on paper?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, I was asking you about group number you were in. . . not team number. I did not feel like I was in a team nor did I feel like it was a sporting event. George Carlin would have had a field day with this one. . . If you felt like you were in a team, more power to you. Personally, I felt like it was everyone in for themselves. Republican, Democrat, rich, poor, socially adept, socially inept, confident, weak, strong. . . we’re all a bunch of premies picking our noses wondering which institution is going to give us our bread and butter for the next four years. . .

I was one of the last group numbers (teams), and I wasn't invited to anywhere else besides an Arizona school and Nova (the interview which I subsequently bombed due to a stonewall of an interviewer). I didn't get a bargaining chip, like an acceptance from another school, but I DID tell the interviewer dude I had an interview lined up. That being said, I'm not so perturbed by not receiving an acceptance letter thus far. My volunteer hours were not that stellar, so I'm content on being rejected this year. Furthermore, the interviewers were being kind of weird about the whole "pre-med experience." Although I spent some time in an ER, I didn’t get a chance to stick my nose up an ER doc's cornholio for a significant amount of time to find out which kind of coffee he/she drank. My experience with a DO was exemplary, however.

Anyways, getting back to the interview, he asked me "what do you think the major health care issue in America is?" and I responded with the Christmas Story answer. First, there was the ghost of Christmas past: much inefficient paperwork in the past. The system could be benefited by computers, cutting down 20% of the cost. Second, there was the ghost of Christmas Future: there will be a bunch of old people who could potentially suck up health care costs by prolonging there lives by a week for a million dollars. This goes along the logic of “we could put people on the moon with 60’s technology, but it doesn’t mean today that everyone should be landing on the moon.” We simply don’t have the resources to do it. This is bad. As far as the ghost of Christmas present goes, we need to educate people as to how to prevent either cardiovascular disease or cancer.

He stumped me by asking me about health care today. He was like “what about insurance companies?” I got scared that the interview would turn political or get confrontational, so I backed off. Luckily, I nailed the next “What if/ hypothetical question” so maybe I made it in. That being said, I am super jealous. I did not take an MCAT class, and I still scored in the top 80th%, so I guess that’s a major compliment. I wish my attitude, . . . the attitude which cannot be assessed in a 15-25min interview. . . can be the deciding factor which gets me into Western.

If you choose to go, I love you lots. If you choose not to go, I still love you lots. More power to you and I hope you end up saving a countless number of lives.
 
You have summarized the status quo really well, to the point...

...Anyways, getting back to the interview, he asked me "what do you think the major health care issue in America is?" and I responded with the Christmas Story answer. First, there was the ghost of Christmas past: much inefficient paperwork in the past. The system could be benefited by computers, cutting down 20% of the cost. Second, there was the ghost of Christmas Future: there will be a bunch of old people who could potentially suck up health care costs by prolonging there lives by a week for a million dollars. This goes along the logic of “we could put people on the moon with 60’s technology, but it doesn’t mean today that everyone should be landing on the moon.” We simply don’t have the resources to do it. This is bad. As far as the ghost of Christmas present goes, we need to educate people as to how to prevent either cardiovascular disease or cancer...
 
What do you think my chances are guys at W/COMP?

s3.71
ns3.73
c3.71

26 < MCAT < 30

Check out my mdapps link for more info. I greatly appreciate your responses and advice.
 
What do you think my chances are guys at W/COMP?

s3.71
ns3.73
c3.71

26 < MCAT < 30

Check out my mdapps link for more info. I greatly appreciate your responses and advice.

The only thing holding you back is your timeliness. As an applicant you look great. If the class is not too full, you have a good chance.

Best of luck.
 
Just got my acceptance letter in the mail. Really excited about the opportunity to attend WesternU but may end up going elsewhere. It's gonna be a tough decision 😕.

Congratulations! Please let us know if we can help with your decision.
 
Yeah I did. I had to call the number on the letter and they told me to type westernu as my password and it worked. Then I went to options and changed my password. Hope that helps 👍

I received the email letter in the mail yesterday, but I'm not able to log in. I got home too late to call for help. I tried following the password directions in the letter, then I tried following their example which, by the way, does NOT follow their own directions, and then I tried westernu. All fail. Anyone else having trouble?
 
I received the email letter in the mail yesterday, but I'm not able to log in. I got home too late to call for help. I tried following the password directions in the letter, then I tried following their example which, by the way, does NOT follow their own directions, and then I tried westernu. All fail. Anyone else having trouble?

Best bet is to call the number provided on the letter on monday and the person on the phone will help you log on. I thought it was quite funny that the example on the letter didn't follow the directions :laugh:
 
interviewed on the 10/24, haven't heard nothing, should I be concerned? Anyone received their acceptance letter in mail yet ?
 
interviewed on the 10/24, haven't heard nothing, should I be concerned? Anyone received their acceptance letter in mail yet ?

I interviewed that day too and I just got my letter in the mail today... alternate 🙁 I'm so sad!! I'm going to be writing a letter of intent tonight, but this is so disappointing!

I've heard pretty negative things about getting in off the waitlist at this school... Anyone have any stats?
 
I interviewed that day too and I just got my letter in the mail today... alternate 🙁 I'm so sad!! I'm going to be writing a letter of intent tonight, but this is so disappointing!

I've heard pretty negative things about getting in off the waitlist at this school... Anyone have any stats?


Yea i got the letter today telling me I got waitlisted. And I thought the interview went so well...
 
I also interviewed on that day too 10/24 and I got the dreaded alternate status. I also thought my interview went ok too. I'm disappointed too. I really feel for you guys who are on the same boat. fyi, i called martha up today and I asked her how many people are currently on the alternate list and she said they have about 20 something people. I think it's been a little over a month since they started interviewing. Looking at last year thread, it seemed like there was little movement on the regular alternate list.
 
I also interviewed on that day too 10/24 and I got the dreaded alternate status. I also thought my interview went ok too. I'm disappointed too. I really feel for you guys who are on the same boat. fyi, i called martha up today and I asked her how many people are currently on the alternate list and she said they have about 20 something people. I think it's been a little over a month since they started interviewing. Looking at last year thread, it seemed like there was little movement on the regular alternate list.

That's what I was afraid of 🙁 Although I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the reason for that was they somehow over-accepted people last year or something? I'm trying to keep a little glimmer of hope alive :xf: Western is definitely my first choice!!
 
Good luck to you raebear! Western was also one of my top choices. I think the waitlist varies year by year. Heh we could be lucky and there will be a lot of movement this year 🙂 Anyway, Martha was telling me that if you are interested, send in updates, letter of intent, and bug your admission counselor every month so they know who you are. Hope you also have other interviews and acceptances as well. I will be flying to des moines and lecom-erie. Good luck to all those who have been waitlisted.
 
interviewed on the 10/24, haven't heard nothing, should I be concerned? Anyone received their acceptance letter in mail yet ?

I interviewed your same day and just got my letter in the mail today (Monday) as well so you should be getting yours soon. I got accepted so I'm pretty pumped.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To all those who have been waitlisted the most important thing is to not give up and know that everything happens for a reason. I was not accepted to any schools last year and I applied all over the place ! This year I didn't have as much money so I selected only 5 schools, got interview invitations to all of them and was accepted after my first two interviews. Never give up hope and apply as early as possible. I honestly think that after getting rejected so many times my drive became stronger and it showed through in my interviews this time around. Good luck and stay motivated
 
Just got my acceptance letter in the mail. Really excited about the opportunity to attend WesternU but may end up going elsewhere. It's gonna be a tough decision 😕.

Congrats DarkCloud. I'm trying to decide too. VERY tough. What are your thoughts, and other schools you're trying to decide on? Anyone else can chime in too. ideas? :idea:
 
Generally speaking LAX has more flight options(in terms of schedule) and is cheaper. A rental car runs in the $20/day range plus all associated expenses(gas, tax, airport fee, etc). Good thing is you have the freedom to drive around on your own time. If you have the weekday interview, have $1.50 ready in quarters, for the parking permit.

$20/day rental car? What planet are you on? 😛 Seriously, throw in the fact that most of us are paying the extra "under 25" fee, and you're looking at double that at the very least... I had to rent a car for my Nova interview and paid $50 for the day, plus gas...

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!

This is my top choice and I'm pretty freaking darn sure I'm going here! 😍

ACCEPTED!!! interviewed on 10/24 (29R 10PS 7VR 12BS) 3.46overall 3.26sc

Just got my acceptance letter in the mail. Really excited about the opportunity to attend WesternU but may end up going elsewhere. It's gonna be a tough decision 😕.

Congratulations to all of you! Even if you're not sure, this is an excellent option to have in your pocket.

For those of you from Cali, what's Pomona like? I'm from CT but live in OH now and have only been to socal once when I was little

Well... it's got that lovely SoCal weather- two seasons, summer (80-90, mostly sunny) and winter (50-60, occasional rain), with nary a bout of humidity. Pomona's a bit of a poorer area, and is pretty far from any of the more famous parts of LA (Dodgers Stadium, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Malibu, Downtown, etc.). It's also very far away from the ocean, which is sad. Still, it's accessible from many different directions, so you have a lot of options on nearby places to live, and if you don't mind driving (which you shouldn't if you want to live in LA), then you've got the rest of the city within an hour or two. Plus you've got Vegas about three hours away.

Hey, I am real worried about being able to get into western this late in the process. I cant imagine that they have very many spots left. I am turning in my secondary on Monday. Do you guys think it is to late to get an acceptance?

sGPA 3.95
oGPA 3.72
MCAT 31M

I have worked in an ER for four years as an EMT. Did a mission in Venezuela for two year for my church. Speak fluent spanish. Great DO letter. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

What do you think my chances are guys at W/COMP?

s3.71
ns3.73
c3.71

26 < MCAT < 30

Check out my mdapps link for more info. I greatly appreciate your responses and advice.

You guys are both solid applicants, and I wouldn't waste time sitting around worrying about whether or not to apply. If you want to start medical school in 2010, apply ASAP. There will probably still be seats left for you, but not many.
 
Congrats DarkCloud. I'm trying to decide too. VERY tough. What are your thoughts, and other schools you're trying to decide on? Anyone else can chime in too. ideas? :idea:

In the same boat as you guys. I've basically narrowed it down to Western and LECOM-Erie.

Western is freaking expensive. >$70k cost of attendance works out to near $300k for 4 years. On the other hand, its the most established west coast DO school and has the benefits associated with that (clinical sites etc). Sytems based curriculum. Its in CA. As a CA resident, I would like to stay in CA. Personally, I've heard good things about the school. Students seemed very enthusiastic.

LECOM, way cheaper tuition and cost of living. Nicer facilities. Systems based curriculum. Students I spoke with seemed to like the school. Unfortunately, it is newer and not as well established as Western. Erie gets tons of snow and gets cold. Dress code and other stuff don't really bother me. My main concern is that I've heard some students were dropped from clinical sites last minute. I don't know if its true or how often it has occured.

I have until the end of the month to decide on Western or LECOM.
 
Congrats DarkCloud. I'm trying to decide too. VERY tough. What are your thoughts, and other schools you're trying to decide on? Anyone else can chime in too. ideas? :idea:

Well, here is how I am deciding between my two schools. WesternU is most certainly a great program in the west coast. I am not too sure about the 3rd and 4th year rotations because the interview didn't really elaborate too much on it, which is a red flag for me. The didactic education is pretty much uniformly the same throughout the country, but what really makes the school is the rotations and how good of an education you receive in the clinical settings. WesternU gave off the impression that the rotations are just all over the place, and when I specifically asked questions regarding the rotations they couldn't really answer it to my satisfaction.

Another reason is that I've lived in SoCal my entire life, and quite frankly, I felt like I needed a breath of fresh air persay. The only reason I would attend WesternU is because it was close to home and my family, but it's because of that reason that has made this decision so difficult. If I had no family connections this would be a slam dunk decision for me and I would attend the other school of my choice. I try to keep in prospective about what is best in my career, but family plays an important role as well. How about you? What are your thoughts and decisions about picking a school?