Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by danimjo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got it yesterday. What's your stats?

Anyone else get this? 🙁 🙁 🙁

Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected to interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by e-mail if you are selected for an interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed. If you would like to add additional information to your application for review, please send/email to your admissions counselor.

If you have any questions regarding your application status, you may contact your admissions counselor by phone or email.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee at Western University, College of Osteopathic medicine of the Pacific, thank you for your interest in our program. Good luck in your future educational endeavors.
 
I wouldn't mind waiting but I have interviews at TouroCA, DMU, AZCOM, SOMA, and KCOM all within the next two and a half weeks. It would be nice to find out my status at Western before so I can just go ahead and cancel all those interviews.

Use those for your reason then. "Hi, I know you don't normally rely admission decisions over the phone, but depending on my status at Western will determine if I buy plane tickets and go to other interviews or not."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Downtown Pomona isn't the best of areas, but isn't the worst of areas. To be honest, I'd say that the area immediately on the opposite side of the tracks (the school is right next to a major passenger and freight line, but you can't hear them inside when going by) is much worse, however I'd say it's a bit of a culture shock for some of the more sheltered students (this is So. Cal. after all). There is a strong security presence on campus though. As well, I would not rent sight unseen in Pomona.


Pomona isn't the worse of areas. I lived across WesternU, in The Helix, for two years, although you would get kind of tired waking up in the morning and the first thing you see is school. Claremont and Chino Hills are both nice areas within 15 min drive of campus. There are other nearby cities that are much nicer if you're willing to drive.
 
I feel a bit hesitant about going to Western now. I've only been complete for like 2 weeks so haven't been invited to interview yet, but I think I'd prefer to go to DO school in the midwest. I hear from ppl from the west coast that the DO bias is really bad over there. Ultimately, you're going to be practicing medicine most likely in the region where you went to school. The midwest is a lot more friendly to DOs than either of the coasts. Obviously, at the interview, they aren't going to tell you this. They are going to do OMM demos showing how great it is but fail to tell you that barely anyone even practices it. You'll most likely just be practicing like any other MD in cali but then have to deal with that huge bias over there of being a DO.

Someone who grew up in cali...can anyone comment on this? is the bias really that bad?

I didn't grew up in California, but from my experiences so far the attendings at the hospitals I've rotated through are very open minded about DOs, and I have been able to perform OMM on patients in every rotation despite having all MD attendings so far.
 
Do you know if the campus renovations and new buildings will be done for the class starting in 2010? I'm sure they'll tell me all about it at my interview but I'm pretty curious!

Those buildings were suppose to be ready in time for the optometry, dental, and podiatry school to begin classes in fall of 2009. Sadly there was delays in construction resulting in the optometry students sharing classroom with the osteopathic students in a room that is not large enough to hold all of them. Who knows if they will be done in time for the class starting in 2010.
 
... im the same 🙁 Does anyone know how Western works with pre-interview holds. Meaning, is Western pre-interview hold happy. I feel like this is a rejection.

Anyone else get this? 🙁 🙁 🙁

Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected to interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by e-mail if you are selected for an interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed. If you would like to add additional information to your application for review, please send/email to your admissions counselor.

If you have any questions regarding your application status, you may contact your admissions counselor by phone or email.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee at Western University, College of Osteopathic medicine of the Pacific, thank you for your interest in our program. Good luck in your future educational endeavors.
 
Those buildings were suppose to be ready in time for the optometry, dental, and podiatry school to begin classes in fall of 2009. Sadly there was delays in construction resulting in the optometry students sharing classroom with the osteopathic students in a room that is not large enough to hold all of them. Who knows if they will be done in time for the class starting in 2010.

Every indication that we've been given is that the buildings should be open in December and will be used next semester.
 
... im the same 🙁 Does anyone know how Western works with pre-interview holds. Meaning, is Western pre-interview hold happy. I feel like this is a rejection.

If anyone else has clarification on this, I think quite a few people would like to know.
 
I got rejected by Western but got into Touro CA and AZCOM. Honestly from my own experiences will dealing with Western's admin, I am glad. San Francisco is a far superior city to LA, even though I am from LA, I am glad to be moving up North.
 
I got rejected by Western but got into Touro CA and AZCOM. Honestly from my own experiences will dealing with Western's admin, I am glad. San Francisco is a far superior city to LA, even though I am from LA, I am glad to be moving up North.

what were your stats?
 
Sorry if I'm being redundant. So, you didn't get put on hold and you just got rejected?

I got rejected by Western but got into Touro CA and AZCOM. Honestly from my own experiences will dealing with Western's admin, I am glad. San Francisco is a far superior city to LA, even though I am from LA, I am glad to be moving up North.
 
Does any one know or have an estimate of the number of students that were accepted but deferred for class of 2014? Does this make it harder to receive an interview/acceptance for the 2009-2010 cycle?
 
Does any one know or have an estimate of the number of students that were accepted but deferred for class of 2014? Does this make it harder to receive an interview/acceptance for the 2009-2010 cycle?

I interviewed the first day for this cycle and our group was told that ~50 or 60 (if my memory is correct) seats were filled already from the previous year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone, from last cycle, prior knowledge, etc, have any information about thos pre-interview hold emails? Are they nice rejections? Do they ever lead to interviews? Anything to increase chances, etc??
 
Sorry to ask an off-topic question, but what does "=/=" mean? I googled it but it is unrecognized. Congratulations by the way on that. Anytime you do something and google can't find a hit for it, it means you are pretty damn creative🙂
 
Sorry to ask an off-topic question, but what does "=/=" mean? I googled it but it is unrecognized. Congratulations by the way on that. Anytime you do something and google can't find a hit for it, it means you are pretty damn creative🙂

It's a 'not equal' sign, if you look closely you can see a line going through the equal marks. != is also used, which stems from computer programming
 
I'm interviewing this week and got a call from Western to confirm that I'm still attending. The # that was left on the message was garbled though, and I was unable to make it out. I tried calling their main office, but got an answering machine. 🙄 I left a message, but who knows how often they check that thing. Anyone know how important it is to call back to confirm?
 
haha same thing happened to me

when i called back they said i didnt really need to call back, they were just reminding me.
 
As will I. Don't think I've ever been so nervous in my life. :scared:

Dont' be nervous; they make the day very comfortable. The 30 minutes in the interview itself was not the best of times, but it wasn't bad. The day is good and the people are very informative/helpful/nice.

Good luck!
 
Drove 50 miles to get the letter, but I got accepted. I'm gonna go withdraw from a few "safety" schools now. Interviewed on 10/1, letter postmarked 10/13.

Good luck to those interviewing, pm me if you have any questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dont' be nervous; they make the day very comfortable. The 30 minutes in the interview itself was not the best of times, but it wasn't bad. The day is good and the people are very informative/helpful/nice.

Good luck!

Yeah, mine wasn't so hot either. Liked the dean though, that guy seemed pretty chill.
 
Yeah, mine wasn't so hot either. Liked the dean though, that guy seemed pretty chill.

Did you have a bad interview? Seemed like everyone was so nice, and I got to meet some really cool fellow interviewees. My interview went by SO fast. I couldn't believe that 30 minutes was over. I was even a little disappointed that I didn't get to answer more questions cuz I wanted to go into other aspects of my application in more depth. 😛 Overall I liked the school though. Solid curriculum and really approachable staff/students.
 
Anyone interviewing the Saturday after next?

Yes, I'm interviewing next saturday. *high five* I was really excited getting my interview, but now I'm really nervous. It's my first interview and its at my top choice school. I just hope i don't screw it up. I guess I'll see you there then. Good luck!

congrats to all those who have been accepted!
 
Did you have a bad interview? Seemed like everyone was so nice, and I got to meet some really cool fellow interviewees. My interview went by SO fast. I couldn't believe that 30 minutes was over. I was even a little disappointed that I didn't get to answer more questions cuz I wanted to go into other aspects of my application in more depth. 😛 Overall I liked the school though. Solid curriculum and really approachable staff/students.

Oh no, don't get me wrong everyone was way friendly and I loved what I saw, my interviewers were just really dry and it wasn't at all conversational like I'd hoped/expected.

Anyway, good luck to all those interviewing in the coming weeks!
 
Has anyone been asked about bad grades, in their interview? What is the best way to respond for secondary app questions that ask to describe your academic accomplishments and why you will do well at western or is a good fit for the university, when you have some discrepancies on your transcripts?
 
I was asked about a class I failed. I immediately drew attention to the fact that I repeated it and earned an "A" the second time around. Then I explained the unique circumstances that lead to my failing grade. It wasn't too bad. I ended up getting accepted.

By the way, I just started the 2014 class thread over in the med student forums, check it out:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8763095

🙂
 
Woops, I just realized you asked about the secondary as well as the interview. As far as I remember, there aren't any questions on the secondary that ask applicants to explain poor academic performance. I do, however, remember there being a question about the criteria one employed in selecting medical schools and how/why WesternU meets that criteria.

I basically answered by highlighting a few aspects of the school (location, curriculum, overall environment) and demonstrated how these aspects make WesternU a good school for me. For example, I said that the systems-based curriculum is truly ideal for my learning abilities. I learn best when information is broken into groups/chunks. I have an easier time digesting that information and then subsequently connecting it with other information, thereby understanding the larger picture.

Best of luck!
 
Interviewed 10/1 and received letter on 10/16 (postmarked 10/13). Extremely excited--this is one of my top 2 choices. 🙂 My other choice is UW--so it all depends if I get accepted there or not. Feel free to PM me if anyone has any ques. Peace!
 
I got one of those 🙁and then got called to interview🙂. I didn't do anything though.

Does anyone, from last cycle, prior knowledge, etc, have any information about thos pre-interview hold emails? Are they nice rejections? Do they ever lead to interviews? Anything to increase chances, etc??
 
Does anyone, from last cycle, prior knowledge, etc, have any information about thos pre-interview hold emails? Are they nice rejections? Do they ever lead to interviews? Anything to increase chances, etc??

On interview day, they told us that "hold" means that they're waiting for something in your file to be complete before making a decision. Could they be waiting for a letter or a score or a transcript update possibly?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Right on! I'm looking over the past interview threads on studentdoc.net at http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=22 It's got TONS of interview questions asked by Western.
My suggestions:
Know your research if you have done any
Read up on ethical issues
Strengths/Weaknessess
Why Medicine, DO, and Western

I'm Brendan and will be wearing a green tie. See you there!

If you can't impress them with fact, baffle them with bullsh$*
 
Might as well send it or else you'll get a note in your interview packet if you get selected for an interview. Nothing like going "Oh crud, what am I missing from my file?" only to find out that it's a photo.