Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by Siggy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ACCEPTED!!!

I had upcoming interviews that I wanted to cancel if I got accepted to western, so I called Robin and she just gave me the good news. Interviewed Sept 23rd. fyi, decisions are being sent out either this week or next week.
 
ACCEPTED!!!

I had upcoming interviews that I wanted to cancel if I got accepted to western, so I called Robin and she just gave me the good news. Interviewed Sept 23rd. fyi, decisions are being sent out either this week or next week.

Congratulations!!! 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ACCEPTED!!!

I had upcoming interviews that I wanted to cancel if I got accepted to western, so I called Robin and she just gave me the good news. Interviewed Sept 23rd. fyi, decisions are being sent out either this week or next week.


Congratulations!!!! I'm sooooo jealous!!!
 
For those of you who have been invited to interview,

Once they invite you, does your status change on the portal? I keep checking the portal to see if there's a status change in hopes of receiving an interview, but it might be pointless. Haha. I really want an interview at Western!
 
For those of you who have been invited to interview,

Once they invite you, does your status change on the portal? I keep checking the portal to see if there's a status change in hopes of receiving an interview, but it might be pointless. Haha. I really want an interview at Western!

Nope, my status is still the same.
 
Best just to wait for a phone call; my status is still "Complete ready for review" but I have an October 30 interview.
 
Best just to wait for a phone call; my status is still "Complete ready for review" but I have an October 30 interview.

I interviewed three weeks ago and my status still says "Complete ready for review". There's no point in checking it*



*I'm being a total hypocrite because I still check it a hundred times a day 😛
 
I interviewed three weeks ago and my status still says "Complete ready for review". There's no point in checking it*



*I'm being a total hypocrite because I still check it a hundred times a day 😛

Haha thank you!
 
I withdrew from my 11/04 interview date. If anyone wants to reschedule theirs for that date, give them a call. I still haven't decided if I'm going to withdraw my application though...i have until next tues to decide. eeps! I love Cali...wish money and time weren't such a factor 🙁
 
Last edited:
zomg! they don't take credit card payments?!?? :scared: I have to send a cheque/money order?!?$
god that'll take over a week (international)
catch up with the times Western!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😡😡







..i'm sorry I still love you 😳 take me?
 
zomg! they don't take credit card payments?!?? :scared: I have to send a cheque/money order?!?$
god that'll take over a week (international)
catch up with the times Western!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😡😡







..i'm sorry I still love you 😳 take me?


the reason they do that is to see if you really want to go to that school, cuz if you take the time to go and mail out a check that mean you really do!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone on this thread gotten an interview invite with their apps being complete after Sept 5th?
 
Called today to see if they had my decision from 10/23. They said the adcoms had met recently and asked about deposits that would be due. I told them I had an AZCOM acceptance, dec 15th deposit. They had me fax it to them, then told me that december 15th was too far away and that I would have to wait.

Then I told them about my Nov. 12th interview at LECOM. Had me e-mail that to them. Put me on hold again. Then she came back and said my group's decisions have not been finalized and to call back Wednesday. 😡

Oh well, I e-mailed her back and told her I'm cancelling LECOM anyway and I guess I'll just wait for the letter to be mailed. Hopefully I'll find out in the next week or so 🙁
 
Got an interview invite today!! Totally wasn't expecting it and am soooo happy. I would love to stay in SoCal. 😀

For those who have interviewed already, any tips? They offered me the 11/4 date (thank you to above SDNer that canceled), but I had to push it to the 20th. Hope that doesn't make too much of a difference in my chances.
 
what do i do if i have no experience with the underserved? do i bother even applying?

Did you shadow a doctor? Do it. You will see people who fit the description of underserved. Even better - shadow a Primary Care doc. It's unlikely, but if you could shadow a paramedic, that would be great as well. You pick up a lot of people who don't go through the normal healthcare system, for whatever reason.

To supplement this, Google "premed reading lists" and find a book or two that regards healthcare policy. I suggest "History of Public Health", and especially, "Who Shall Live" by Victor Fuchs (read this one if you don't have enough time for both b/c History of Public Health is pretty thick and less useful). Regardless of your positions on healthcare reform / welfare policy / whatever, these books give a pretty good summary of the concerns and history of current issues. FWIW, I believe that Fuchs is a Prof. of Economics at Stanford who's been working on the healthcare issue for decades.
 
Called today to see if they had my decision from 10/23. They said the adcoms had met recently and asked about deposits that would be due. I told them I had an AZCOM acceptance, dec 15th deposit. They had me fax it to them, then told me that december 15th was too far away and that I would have to wait.

Then I told them about my Nov. 12th interview at LECOM. Had me e-mail that to them. Put me on hold again. Then she came back and said my group's decisions have not been finalized and to call back Wednesday. 😡

Oh well, I e-mailed her back and told her I'm cancelling LECOM anyway and I guess I'll just wait for the letter to be mailed. Hopefully I'll find out in the next week or so 🙁

So Western is your first choice? I thought you cannot decide between AZCOM and Western?

Btw, I interviewed at Western last Saturday :]
 
So Western is your first choice? I thought you cannot decide between AZCOM and Western?

Btw, I interviewed at Western last Saturday :]

Not sure. I can't decide just yet. I just wanted to know my status at Western. Its such a difficult decision for me. I'm really torn about their 2nd year cirriculum and mandatory attendance.
 
Invite today too! I couldn't take the 11/4 interview either, lol. That's interview five for me! This process is so random!!
 
What about their second year curriculum??

Well it used to be that the entire cirriculum was a didactic systems based approach. Standard lectures, etc.

Now the 2nd year cirriculum is more of a PBL style cirriculum. That is, you have a large lecture style presentation of 4-5 cases and you are given learning objectives (this would happen on monday). Then you are given Monday night and all day tuesday to meet with your small group or learn those concepts on your own before returning to review the cases and concepts on wednesday morning. At least that is how I interpretted it and how it was explained to me (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I wasn't the biggest fan of PBL when I saw it at LECOM and while they are adament that this is not PBL, it is extremely self directed. I've read criticisms at other schools that do this where they say that the learning objectives are only tangentially related to what actually needs to be learned. That may not be the case with Western but the fact that it is brand new and so reliant on self teaching/small group learning while you are still paying HUGE numbers in tuition kinda rubs me the wrong way. At least with LECOM's PBL the tuition is 1/2 of what Western's is.

If anyone else can fill in some gaps for me or anything I missed please feel free to let me know. I want to make Western my #1 choice but this is causing me some hesitation. Along with the self admitted 60% pass rate on the USMLEs.
 
My take on Western's directed case-based approach was it was a more guided PBL. On Monday, faculty give you specific reading material, questions, and resources for your case so you won't waste time looking up tangential resources online. While Tuesdays are small-group self-study, Wednesdays are used to reorient the whole class should some groups diverge on points.
 
Well it used to be that the entire cirriculum was a didactic systems based approach. Standard lectures, etc.

Now the 2nd year cirriculum is more of a PBL style cirriculum. That is, you have a large lecture style presentation of 4-5 cases and you are given learning objectives (this would happen on monday). Then you are given Monday night and all day tuesday to meet with your small group or learn those concepts on your own before returning to review the cases and concepts on wednesday morning. At least that is how I interpretted it and how it was explained to me (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I wasn't the biggest fan of PBL when I saw it at LECOM and while they are adament that this is not PBL, it is extremely self directed. I've read criticisms at other schools that do this where they say that the learning objectives are only tangentially related to what actually needs to be learned. That may not be the case with Western but the fact that it is brand new and so reliant on self teaching/small group learning while you are still paying HUGE numbers in tuition kinda rubs me the wrong way. At least with LECOM's PBL the tuition is 1/2 of what Western's is.

If anyone else can fill in some gaps for me or anything I missed please feel free to let me know. I want to make Western my #1 choice but this is causing me some hesitation. Along with the self admitted 60% pass rate on the USMLEs.

I agree with you on the high tuition for PBL style curriculum for second year is kind of ... But to deter from Western because past students admitted that they had low passing rates for the USMLEs is not a good decision. Many schools do not want to "teach for the boards", just as many science courses in undergrad do not teach for the "MCAT", if they did then they would only do a small percentage of their respective goals. Boards are a way to license a physician with the bare minimum. The curriculum I believe is meant to teach what is meaningful and important. Ultimately, it is not the schools who will dictate how well their students do on the boards, and in fact they most likely have very little to do with it. Most students in medical school use the same review books, and learn the same material throughout their education. The board schools will reflect the individual's effort and how good their memorization skills are. I've known people who scored very high on boards, and it wouldn't have mattered where they went for medical school.
 
My take on Western's directed case-based approach was it was a more guided PBL. On Monday, faculty give you specific reading material, questions, and resources for your case so you won't waste time looking up tangential resources online. While Tuesdays are small-group self-study, Wednesdays are used to reorient the whole class should some groups diverge on points.

This was my take as well. Regardless, however, there is going to be a fair amount of reading and learning that is not relevant to the topic at hand or necessary topics when the learning is so open ended. I was not told that they give specific reading material and resources, more that they give guiding questions and learning objectives. This would definitely be a step in the right direction for me if they are essentially giving you assignments rather than leaving it open for you.

The other hesitation is the fact that the main value that I found in PBL is the fact that you are reviewing a majority of systems with every case, forcing you to revisit old topics. With a case based approach focused solely on the single system you happen to be studying that block it seems that this value is lost.

I agree with you on the high tuition for PBL style curriculum for second year is kind of ... But to deter from Western because past students admitted that they had low passing rates for the USMLEs is not a good decision. Many schools do not want to "teach for the boards", just as many science courses in undergrad do not teach for the "MCAT", if they did then they would only do a small percentage of their respective goals. Boards are a way to license a physician with the bare minimum. The curriculum I believe is meant to teach what is meaningful and important. Ultimately, it is not the schools who will dictate how well their students do on the boards, and in fact they most likely have very little to do with it. Most students in medical school use the same review books, and learn the same material throughout their education. The board schools will reflect the individual's effort and how good their memorization skills are. I've known people who scored very high on boards, and it wouldn't have mattered where they went for medical school.

I completely understand this and in fact I made the point that board scores are largely based on the individual and the board prep than the school itself. That aspect of my hesitation is far far far far in the back seat compared to other aspects. My comparison was only due to the rate compared to AZCOM and the fact that AZCOM has begun gearing there program towards prep for the USMLE as well as the COMLEX and thus far their scores have shown it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted yay!!!!

The program seems solid to me. At PNWU the second year even less structured. Students have to rely on self study the whole year. There are essentially no classes second year at PNWU and the tution is really high too. I think that Western style is good. I like that it teaches you to "think like a doctor". I am used to the traditional style to, but i think this better. Honestly lectures are so boring and it's so hard to pay attention to everything, that's why for me i feel like being involved is better.
As far as USMLE, i am not worried. It's up to students to pass the boards. I plan on studying for boards early. I also think that some students don't take it that very sirrious or may be dont study as much for it because Complex is more important since you have to pass it to graduate. If people were told you have to pass USMLE to graduate i bet pass rate would be a lot higher.

Good Luck !!!
 
So Western is your first choice? I thought you cannot decide between AZCOM and Western?

Btw, I interviewed at Western last Saturday :]

Cool! I got an interview at Western on November 04. Which is tomorrow. How was your interview? How did you feel about the professors, the facility and the students?
 
Accepted yay!!!!

The program seems solid to me. At PNWU the second year even less structured. Students have to rely on self study the whole year. There are essentially no classes second year at PNWU and the tution is really high too. I think that Western style is good. I like that it teaches you to "think like a doctor". I am used to the traditional style to, but i think this better. Honestly lectures are so boring and it's so hard to pay attention to everything, that's why for me i feel like being involved is better.
As far as USMLE, i am not worried. It's up to students to pass the boards. I plan on studying for boards early. I also think that some students don't take it that very sirrious or may be dont study as much for it because Complex is more important since you have to pass it to graduate. If people were told you have to pass USMLE to graduate i bet pass rate would be a lot higher.

Good Luck !!!

Congrats!
Interesting about PNWU. BTW, its COMLEX... there is no P
 
Has anyone so far successfully received an interview after submitting a letter of intent? I'm thinking about writing one. Western is my top choice (I have family reasons to stay in the LA area) and I haven't heard anything from them. I submitted the secondary 8/2 but I wasn't marked complete until 9/8. I have above average stats, strong ECs (lots of volunteering with the underserved), DO shadowing and a letter from a DO. Ahhh! This application process is driving me crazy!
 
Has anyone so far successfully received an interview after submitting a letter of intent? I'm thinking about writing one. Western is my top choice (I have family reasons to stay in the LA area) and I haven't heard anything from them. I submitted the secondary 8/2 but I wasn't marked complete until 9/8. I have above average stats, strong ECs (lots of volunteering with the underserved), DO shadowing and a letter from a DO. Ahhh! This application process is driving me crazy!


Kalu, I sumbitted a letter of Intent about 3 weeks ago, mainly to explain my 24 mcat score and give reasons to why Western is my top choice (partly family reasons as well) and that I was still interested despite other acceptances. I received an interview about a week later, and I interviewed this past saturday (oct 30).

Although I'm not positive my letter helped, I think it's worth a try. I sent mine to the Dean, who responded and told me he would put the letter in my file as well. Just stay positive, I know it's a slow process!
 
Kalu, I sumbitted a letter of Intent about 3 weeks ago, mainly to explain my 24 mcat score and give reasons to why Western is my top choice (partly family reasons as well) and that I was still interested despite other acceptances. I received an interview about a week later, and I interviewed this past saturday (oct 30).

Although I'm not positive my letter helped, I think it's worth a try. I sent mine to the Dean, who responded and told me he would put the letter in my file as well. Just stay positive, I know it's a slow process!

Thank you so much for the response! I will definitely send in a letter. Good luck. I hope you get accepted!
 
DbDan, I just came back from my AZCOM interview. I'm very impressed by the facilities (simulation resources makes Western's pale in comparison, actually looks like a legit campus) and the basic science curriculum (traditional subject based, so it's more "straightforward" than Western).

I'm not yet sure on the clinical rotations. The Dean emphasized that they were shifting towards more preceptor-based rotations, which confuses me since I thought the core urban AZ sites and CA sites were pretty ward-based.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
 
DbDan, I just came back from my AZCOM interview. I'm very impressed by the facilities (simulation resources makes Western's pale in comparison, actually looks like a legit campus) and the basic science curriculum (traditional subject based, so it's more "straightforward" than Western).

I'm not yet sure on the clinical rotations. The Dean emphasized that they were shifting towards more preceptor-based rotations, which confuses me since I thought the core urban AZ sites and CA sites were pretty ward-based.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Those were the pluses of AZCOM that I was impressed by too. We weren't really told much about the rotation sites and whether they were preceptor or ward based though. To me, there is advantages to both ward and preceptor based though so it doesn't make much of a difference as long as I am getting the experience I need to be successful. The 4th year is so open that you can really do what you want with it and make the best of your last clinical year.
 
Congrats!!! When did you interview and how did they inform you of their decision?


Thank you!!!

I was interviewed on 10/9, informed via phone about 3 weeks later. The packet is on the way in mail.
3.6, 27R

I have other interviews which i am attending since i already got plane tickets and offers but i think i am going to go with Western. I am going to cancel several interviews that i didnt make travelling arangemnts for.

As someone mentioned above, you will have 4yr to do whatever rotations you want and they have a lot of options down there. I think they have a solid program. Honestly at any school its up to student to study and it's graduate school not undergrad nobody is going to come and tell you what pages to memorize, so i really don't see that much difference. I am confident that we will do well on the board exams if we study. It's not a secret what's on that exam so just study hard.

Good Luck to everyone!!!
 
Has anyone receive a decision from them for the 10/30 interview?

Nothing yet. Do you happen to remember the timeline they gave us for when we should recieve our decision? I know they said that they notify us through regular mail, but i don't remember the amount of days that it might take..
 
Nothing yet. Do you happen to remember the timeline they gave us for when we should recieve our decision? I know they said that they notify us through regular mail, but i don't remember the amount of days that it might take..

10/23 interview they told us 2 weeks and to call if we hadn't heard by then. They had met but hadn't finalized decisions apparently when I called on Monday for my interview group. I'd expect to wait another week and a half for those of you that interviewed on 10/30
 
for anyone who has submitted documents recently to complete their file, i called them today because my LOR's and fees was outstanding even though i sent it in. A really nice person (Tia?) said that they have a lot of LOR's to download from interfolio and that their pharmacy school just had their deadlines so enrollment services is backlogged.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for anyone who has submitted documents recently to complete their file, i called them today because my LOR's and fees was outstanding even though i sent it in. A really nice person (Tia?) said that they have a lot of LOR's to download from interfolio and that their pharmacy school just had their deadlines so enrollment services is backlogged.

I think it was Tia. She gave me the nicest rejection notice ever over the phone today :laugh:
 
Nothing yet. Do you happen to remember the timeline they gave us for when we should recieve our decision? I know they said that they notify us through regular mail, but i don't remember the amount of days that it might take..

If I remember correctly, I think they said we should know by Nov 15th.
 
If I remember correctly, I think they said we should know by Nov 15th.

If I don't hear from them by Monday I may explode hahaha Hopefully they'll be mailing out my decision today, which will put it in my house tomorrow. Too bad I won't be home and won't be able to check until Sunday.... My birthday... could be a horrible birthday present or a great one hahaha
 
Received a rather interesting e-mail today....

"Dear DbDan

Thank you for applying for admission to Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, Pomona and/or Lebanon campus. Your application has received extensive review by the Admissions Committee; however I regret to inform you that you were not selected to interview for a position in the 2011 entering DO Class.

I appreciate your interest in the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, and I wish you good luck in your future educational endeavors."

..... great.... except I already interviewed..... lol WTF If this is there way of telling me I was rejected post-interview I'm going to be livid.