-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012
Started by Cheshyre
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just got home, checked the mail...accepted!!!!! Yayayayayaya! Interviewed 11/5
I didnt get a letter yet although we are in the same group 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys I was verified on 11/4 and my application was released on 11/10. I've received secondaries from all the schools that I've applied to except from Western COMP and MSUCOM. I've received a secondary from Western COMP - Lebanon however. I'm wondering if I should be concerned at all. Thanks.
Last edited:
Hey guys I was verified on 11/4 and my application was released on 11/10. I've received secondaries from all the schools that I've applied to except from Western COMP and MSUCOM. I've received a secondary from Western COMP - Lebanon however. I'm wondering if I should be concerned at all. Thanks.
Western usually takes a week to update you file. They didn't send me my secondary for about 6-7 days
I have a pending admission from DMU (deposit due on Dec. 15th) and I have a interview here on Dec 1st. Even though DMU is one of my top choices, Western is only 45 mins away from where I live. If I get accepted it's definitely going to be a tough decision (definitely a good position to be in). Of course if I don't get in, then there's no decision 
For the people in a similar position, it looks like they notified Western about their situation and Western notified them via a phone call instead of snail mail. So, I'm wondering when I should let Western know about my situation. Few days after my interview?
Thanks!

For the people in a similar position, it looks like they notified Western about their situation and Western notified them via a phone call instead of snail mail. So, I'm wondering when I should let Western know about my situation. Few days after my interview?
Thanks!
I have a pending admission from DMU (deposit due on Dec. 15th) and I have a interview here on Dec 1st. Even though DMU is one of my top choices, Western is only 45 mins away from where I live. If I get accepted it's definitely going to be a tough decision (definitely a good position to be in). Of course if I don't get in, then there's no decision
For the people in a similar position, it looks like they notified Western about their situation and Western notified them via a phone call instead of snail mail. So, I'm wondering when I should let Western know about my situation. Few days after my interview?
Thanks!
just got back from my interview at western...the adcom meets twice a month and the next meeting is nov 30th...so they might not even make a decision about your app until dec 15thish....id wait til the interview and they tell you the next adcom meeting (she said if you fax them your acceptance letter they can give you the decision over the phone in the afternoon of the day the adcom meets or the next day)
hopes this helps!
Just wondering if anyone who has been accepted was able to open their email accounts?
Just wondering if anyone who has been accepted was able to open their email accounts?
mine didn't work
Western has a small cafeteria there. I am wondering if anyone knows what type of food they serve? I LOVE Japanese food and I can eat them like 4 to 5 times a day. I bet there will be plenty affordable and good Japanese restaurants close to Pomona?
Western has a small cafeteria there. I am wondering if anyone knows what type of food they serve? I LOVE Japanese food and I can eat them like 4 to 5 times a day. I bet there will be plenty affordable and good Japanese restaurants close to Pomona?
You're talking about Outtakes?
http://www.cafebonappetit.com/menu/your-cafe/westernu/cafes/details/338/outtakes
Good Asian food is everywhere in Southern California! 😀
So, Outtakes is the name of the cafeteria at Western. They don't seem to have lots of menu but they look healthy. But lots of Asian food will make me happy : )
Swtmoonlght, will you be attending Western then or still waiting for other schools?
Swtmoonlght, will you be attending Western then or still waiting for other schools?
Finally! Interview invite!! Weird though, because it was through an e-mail by my admissions counselor instead of a phone call. Congrats to all those accepted and good luck to all those applying!! I'm so excited!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious if anyone emailed thank you letters directly to your interviewers? The admissions lady said to email it to the admissions department, which I thought was a little odd.
Just curious if anyone emailed thank you letters directly to your interviewers? The admissions lady said to email it to the admissions department, which I thought was a little odd.
I emailed my interviewers directly. I think what she meant is that if you could email admission, and they will forward to your interviewers.
Just curious if anyone emailed thank you letters directly to your interviewers? The admissions lady said to email it to the admissions department, which I thought was a little odd.
They do this at many schools. Some interviewers may not want all the students having their email and also this way a copy of the thank you letter will go to the interviewer but also into your file with admissions. Then, when the adcom reviews your file they will see that you wrote a thank you letter and hopefully take that into consideration. Otherwise if it only goes to the interviewers the adcom may never get a copy or know that you wrote it.
Just wondering if anyone who has been accepted was able to open their email accounts?
It took me a couple of weeks after I received my acceptance letter. 🙂
And congrats to everyone that just got accepted!
Hey guys I'm interviewing here next week and am a bit apprehensive about the MMI portion of the interview. Could some of you guys who've already interviewed share your experience with this portion of the interview? Many thanks to those who decide to respond.
Best of luck to us all!
Best of luck to us all!
For those who got accepted, did you also send in an MD/DO LOR?
Hey guys I'm interviewing here next week and am a bit apprehensive about the MMI portion of the interview. Could some of you guys who've already interviewed share your experience with this portion of the interview? Many thanks to those who decide to respond.
Best of luck to us all!
You sign an agreement that you will not share the contents of the stations to others.
For those who got accepted, did you also send in an MD/DO LOR?
Yes. I TA'd for a DO.
In the email they send you there is a link to different hotels around the area. If you let them know you are interviewing at western they will give you some type of discount.
When are you interview? I have mine on Dec 10th. and probably going to stay at a hotel. If you have the same date let me know and we can meet up.
When are you interview? I have mine on Dec 10th. and probably going to stay at a hotel. If you have the same date let me know and we can meet up.
I know they tend to draw on the same pool of applicants, so is anyone else trying to decide between WesternU/COMP and AZCOM? They're both great schools with their own strengths and weaknesses, and I'm not interested in starting a flame war on here. But I'd love to hear your thoughts as to why you're picking one over the other.
For those who got accepted, did you also send in an MD/DO LOR?
I think a letter from a doctor is required? I didn't have a DO so I sent in one from an MD.
just got back from my interview at western...the adcom meets twice a month and the next meeting is nov 30th...so they might not even make a decision about your app until dec 15thish....id wait til the interview and they tell you the next adcom meeting (she said if you fax them your acceptance letter they can give you the decision over the phone in the afternoon of the day the adcom meets or the next day)
hopes this helps!
Thanks for the suggestion. Very informative!
Thanks for the information! Just looked through the hotel options now. I actually am interviewing the 10th too! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have enough time to meet up before the interview, but I'll definitely see you there!In the email they send you there is a link to different hotels around the area. If you let them know you are interviewing at western they will give you some type of discount.
When are you interview? I have mine on Dec 10th. and probably going to stay at a hotel. If you have the same date let me know and we can meet up.
Western has a small cafeteria there. I am wondering if anyone knows what type of food they serve? I LOVE Japanese food and I can eat them like 4 to 5 times a day. I bet there will be plenty affordable and good Japanese restaurants close to Pomona?
There's not much in the way of Japanese in Pomona, maybe just one or two mediocre restaurants. Also, I haven't found really cheap Japanese anywhere (unless you want to go to 99Ranch in Chino Hills and slice your own sashimi, which is actually pretty cost effective - $10 for a half-pound of good quality salmon, possibly more than enough for two people to get their sashimi fix for less than the price of good steak, assuming you have sides). If you're looking for nicer, more authentic Japanese, these are my favorites in no particular order. Note: I'm really enjoy quality sashimi, but Japanese food actually isn't my favorite cuisine. If you can recite the history of nigirizushi development from memory or you have trouble with trying new foods, take the next recommendations with a grain of salt.
Expect to spend around $15, maybe $20 at each place, depending on what you get. If you just want udon, you can probably get close to or under $10.
1) Hayato Sushi - Claremont. Looks like hell on the outside but is gorgeous on the inside. Super cozy. Has lots of good stuff including o-toro.
2) Ojiya - Chino Hills. Probably the priciest of the bunch (not by too much) but really good. They have a huge board with their fresh items for the day which can include stuff like monkfish liver.
3) Shoboo Kitchen - Chino Hills. I actually haven't had much of their food but their service is awesome (which is saying something because service in California tends to be pretty uniformly awesome compared to what I'm used to back home), and for that alone I would go back.
4) Sake 2 Me - Montclair. Not super-authentic or anything, but if you have to have all-you-can-eat sushi, this place is the best of the pack by FAR. They have a really generous fish-to-rice ratio and they don't pack their rolls with a massive amount of mayo/fake crab to fill you up. It's still all-you-can-eat though, so don't expect to get top-quality sushi (although it's still very satisfactory). Also, last time I was there, there was a huge wait to get in. A waitress came by and started handing out all-you-can-drink beers for free. I believe the all-you-can-eat is ~$22-25.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do you guys think it's too late to submit a primary application to western now?
I think any primary application submitted now would be viewed as: desperation, and an afterthought to an unsuccessful run at the MD schools. Without impressive stats and a clear reason why you want to attend Western - and if you did, why you didn't apply earlier, your chances are low.
I think any primary application submitted now would be viewed as: desperation, and an afterthought to an unsuccessful run at the MD schools. Without impressive stats and a clear reason why you want to attend Western - and if you did, why you didn't apply earlier, your chances are low.
I will say that I submitted my application around this point, but I consider myself incredibly lucky. I also had a lot of DO contacts.
I will say that I submitted my application around this point, but I consider myself incredibly lucky. I also had a lot of DO contacts.
COMP likes high stat candidates and sometimes will send the late invite. Given the location and competition for spots so Cali people can stay in Cali, it's going to be tough going.
COMP likes high stat candidates and sometimes will send the late invite. Given the location and competition for spots so Cali people can stay in Cali, it's going to be tough going.
Yeah, I had a high MCAT, low GPA, out of state. Competition has ramped up since I applied though.
I was invited to the last interview session of the year and about 2 or 3 of matriculated. I know that one person was deferred to the class of 2015. I have no idea how many received an offer but declined.
Yeah, I had a high MCAT, low GPA, out of state. Competition has ramped up since I applied though.
I was invited to the last interview session of the year and about 2 or 3 of matriculated. I know that one person was deferred to the class of 2015. I have no idea how many received an offer but declined.
I never would have gotten in now with my stats back then.
I never would have gotten in now with my stats back then.
I can't believe how fast DO admission stats and application numbers have risen in the past three years. It tends to raise the question (which has been debated to death, anyway) of how the rise has affected the quality of students entering and graduating from DO schools.
Anyway, I remember seeing you around on the forums when I was applying. Thanks for all your advice.
Anyone interviewing Thursday?
I'll be there! getting pretty excited!
good luck to everyone interviewing this week! is anyone anxiously waiting to hear back from the 11/19 interview?
I got my letters exactly 10 days after my interview. Good luck! You should hear something soon hopefully!!
Letter in the mail today. From the East Coast, interviewed 11/5. MCAT 25, GPA 3.6, lots of EC's and 12 research publications. Trying to decide if I want to move to the West Coast for 4 years!
Congrats !!!!
Just in case the fellow 11/19 interviewers were interested.
The dean has yet to sign off on the list of people that were accepted soo probably won't get a letter for another 7 days now! I am sooo anxious!
Ahh I was wondering what was up. I also interviewed the 19th and had been trying to contact Martha, but I've only got her voicemail. Did you hear when we can call and see if you were accepted?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ahh I was wondering what was up. I also interviewed the 19th and had been trying to contact Martha, but I've only got her voicemail. Did you hear when we can call and see if you were accepted?
They won't tell you on the phone unless you show proof that you have to turn in a deposit somewhere soon and would prefer to attend Western. Gotta wait for the mail. I stalked my mail person for a whole week. 🙂
They won't tell you on the phone unless you show proof that you have to turn in a deposit somewhere soon and would prefer to attend Western. Gotta wait for the mail. I stalked my mail person for a whole week. 🙂
Yea they said we just have to fax them the proof of acceptance to another school right?
Just in case the fellow 11/19 interviewers were interested.
The dean has yet to sign off on the list of people that were accepted soo probably won't get a letter for another 7 days now! I am sooo anxious!
They won't tell you on the phone unless you show proof that you have to turn in a deposit somewhere soon and would prefer to attend Western. Gotta wait for the mail. I stalked my mail person for a whole week. 🙂
Does that mean they also won't tell you over the phone until the dean signs off on it as well?
How long did it take for you to get an interview after you sent your secondary? I'm really anxious because I sent in my secondary last month and the DO will be sending his recommendation next week...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 471
- Views
- 145K
- Replies
- 116
- Views
- 31K
- Replies
- 712
- Views
- 236K