Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll probably be withdrawing my acceptance here soon. I found out I got accepted to AZCOM today, and felt it was a better place for me. Good luck to everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I canceled my Dec.10 interview and withdrew my application.I hope somebody could grab the spot.
KCUMB Class of 2016

I canceled my Dec.10 interview and withdrew my application.I hope somebody could grab the spot.
KCUMB Class of 2016

I will be withdrawing my acceptance next week. Great school, not to mention I will miss Oregon if I end up in Kansas City.

Congratulations to those attending this school and good luck to those interviewing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys- I'm taking my name out of the running. Good luck to you all!

Well guys,

As much as I liked this school / program, I made the decision to withdraw my acceptance today. I hope that someone on the wait list will benefit from this, and will enjoy all that WesternU has to offer. Good luck to everyone!

I'll probably be withdrawing my acceptance here soon. I found out I got accepted to AZCOM today, and felt it was a better place for me. Good luck to everyone!!!

KCUMB Class of 2016

I will be withdrawing my acceptance next week. Great school, not to mention I will miss Oregon if I end up in Kansas City.

Congratulations to those attending this school and good luck to those interviewing.

You guys are hurting my feelings! Was it something I said?! Kidding. Sorry we won't see you guys here next year, but good luck to you guys in your individual programs.

It was a tough decision. Since I have been going to the OPSO meetings for the past year I feel like a lot of people involved in the school are almost like family. I have a good friend that is part of the class of 2015 too. It came down to preference to curriculum and resources, as well as a new city to live in. COMP-NW is a great school though, and I am happy to have had the opportunity to attend.

Good luck 12/10 interviewees! See everyone there. I'm excited for the process, hope to get the chance to meet everyone.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone at the 12/10 interview. Does anyone have any last minute advice? I have looked over the interview feedback. I'll have a nice long flight tomorrow to think about things.:)

I have formally declined admission to COMP-NW. Good luck to those wanting in and congratulations to those who made it.

Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to everyone who is applying here!

Had a great time at the interview day on 12/10! I really loved the area and school. It was nice meeting everyone.

Wow, with all these withdrawals, I wish I was in this cycle with Western, lol. Congrats to everyone with all your acceptances!! :thumbup:

Wow, with all these withdrawals, I wish I was in this cycle with Western, lol. Congrats to everyone with all your acceptances!! :thumbup:

I'm interviewing in January so I am excited that there will still be openings. Though a little concerned as to why so many are withdrawing.

I'm interviewing in January so I am excited that there will still be openings. Though a little concerned as to why so many are withdrawing.

Other acceptances, cost of attendance to western, location, ect ect. There are lots of good schools out there and probably all will get you where you want to go. It's a matter of of fit and financials.

If you are truly curious, perhaps message a few of them what led them to choose School X over Western Lebanon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know one of them had an MD school acceptance, and was from the midwest

Other acceptances, cost of attendance to western, location, ect ect. There are lots of good schools out there and probably all will get you where you want to go. It's a matter of of fit and financials.

If you are truly curious, perhaps message a few of them what led them to choose School X over Western Lebanon.

To rehash what rex said, this happens to every school. It is just more apparent when they post that they are withdrawing (which is unneeded for this early in the game imo, usually it is done when wait list is all that is left and that dropped spot actually means something). In any case, you have to make sure the school fits you, and we want only the people that WANT to come here. The atmosphere at this school is phenomenal and it would be terrible to have people that don't want to be here ruin it. Comp-NW will most likely receive 3500+ applications, interview around 300 and accept around 175, with 100 or so matriculating. Having 5 of those people post they are withdrawing (sometimes multiple times for some reason) shouldn't concern anyone. They found a better fit elsewhere, but then again all of our confirmed acceptances (which I can't say how many there are) thought COMP-NW was the best fit. In the end, choose the school that is best for you, and do it on your own. SDN is not a good place to assume trends and statistics due to it's small sample size.

Forgot to mention, the 1st deposit deadline is December 15. So those holding multiple acceptances (ie to a MD school) have lots of incentive to withdraw before that date and save a grand or two

Concerned was a poor choice of word. Perhaps surprised at how many have been specifically posted online since SDN is a minor percentage of the actual applicant pool.

I just got an acceptance call from the Dec 10th Interview!
What a fantastic Christmas present!

This school is amazing. I absolutely loved all of the faculty and students (prospective and current)! They did a superb job of presenting it as a family. I can't wait.

Yay Oregon!

Congrats on your acceptance! Seems like a great school.

Congrats! I was impressed by the school as well, hoping to get a call today or tomorrow :xf:. That's nice of them getting the acceptances out so early because the wait is killing me!

I remember that some of the people last year didn't get a call, so don't freak out if you didn't hear anything by today. You might get an early Christmas present in the mail. I know the wait is excruciating but remember to take the time to spend it with family and enjoy your holidays. Happy holidays!

Congratulations to everyone accepted! Once you are accepted, is there a deposit you have to pay to reserve the seat? If so, would anyone mind elaborating how much it is for and what the deadlines are?

Good Luck!

I just got an acceptance call from the Dec 10th Interview!
What a fantastic Christmas present!

This school is amazing. I absolutely loved all of the faculty and students (prospective and current)! They did a superb job of presenting it as a family. I can't wait.

Yay Oregon!

Thanks for the encouragement James. By the way, it was nice meeting you and thanks for answering all my 101 questions!

I couldn't bear the wait any longer and gave into calling Jess. She said all the letters went out today so we should get them soon. I'm leaving town tomorrow for a few weeks so I asked for my decision.. turns out I'm waitlisted. I'm not unhappy with that, I hope I get in eventually because I really loved the school and everyone there was great. Good luck JJKA and everyone else! Hope you hear good news.

Thanks! I hope you get off the waitlist soon.

Thanks for the encouragement James. By the way, it was nice meeting you and thanks for answering all my 101 questions!

I couldn't bear the wait any longer and gave into calling Jess. She said all the letters went out today so we should get them soon. I'm leaving town tomorrow for a few weeks so I asked for my decision.. turns out I'm waitlisted. I'm not unhappy with that, I hope I get in eventually because I really loved the school and everyone there was great. Good luck JJKA and everyone else! Hope you hear good news.

No worries! :) Remember, the waitlist here is not like the waitlist at other schools. They keep it small and make sure they do look at it again. Also, the dean can approve you anytime. So if you really loved this school, don't be discouraged by that.

Second, someone asked about deadlines. The deadline for the first deposit was Dec 15, but since you guys interviewed right before that, I heard they were pushing it back to around Jan 15. Don't mark my words on the date, but it's around there.

Cheers.

The official letter (which I just received today) says:
"To secure your place in the class, you are required to mail a non-refundable acceptance deposit of $1,000 to the Enrollment Data Services Office before February 1, 2012"

Other forms (transcripts, physical exam, etc) are due by June 1

I got my letter today and I am on the alternate list. I am really bummed because I really liked the school and area. Maybe things will still turn out OK. Good luck to the rest of you!

Hope everyone is having a great break! Got my letter today and also am on the waitlist! Keep your heads up, its not over yet!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas...I'm about to catch up on some sleep, I only got 30 mins at work last night, during my 36 hour shift

i am still hoping for an interview here. My physician letter of recommendation took way longer than expected :/

I hope I didn't ruin my chances.

33R, Oregon resident, 3.7 cGPA

Hey everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has gotten in so far this round! I am a OMS-I at COMP-NW right now, and am happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the school or Lebanon.

I will start off by reiterating what was already said, COMP-NW is a very friendly, close-community school. Everyone in our first class is very supportive of each other and the faculty are all very passionate. COMP-NW has the awesome combination of being a new school (new facilities and community excitement) AND it has 40 years of history (accreditation and legitimacy) by being a part of the Western University of Health Sciences system. This allows it to be a very unique option and have an interesting set of pros and cons.

I'm currently a student at COMPNW. If you have any questions regarding the school please feel free to PM me.

I like this school and pretty much would say all that has been said before in this thread from those who are attending. I wish you all the best of luck and hope to see you this coming year. :)

Hey everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has gotten in so far this round! I am a OMS-I at COMP-NW right now, and am happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the school or Lebanon.

I will start off by reiterating what was already said, COMP-NW is a very friendly, close-community school. Everyone in our first class is very supportive of each other and the faculty are all very passionate. COMP-NW has the awesome combination of being a new school (new facilities and community excitement) AND it has 40 years of history (accreditation and legitimacy) by being a part of the Western University of Health Sciences system. This allows it to be a very unique option and have an interesting set of pros and cons.
I'm looking to move to Lebanon in July. Any advice on apartments? I'm on a waiting list for Cascade Ridge. How are the other apartments in town? Is bike commuting an option (with all of the rain)?

The only other apartments that I am familiar with in Lebanon are Queen Anne and Parkside. Queen Anne are nice but you have to meet very strict requirements (such as be eligible for section 8, have two children under and be under certain income, etc.) Parkside I couldn't comment on but I know that a handful of our class lives there. There is a review of Parkside on the 2016 facebook page doc if you are there, otherwise I am sure somebody will chime in. Finally for Cascade ridge, there is a large building project currently taking place. Two new buildings are going up with I believe a third shortly after, so there will be a bunch of space opening up soon.

I'm looking to move to Lebanon in July. Any advice on apartments? I'm on a waiting list for Cascade Ridge. How are the other apartments in town? Is bike commuting an option (with all of the rain)?

Bike commuting is always an option since everything in Lebanon is really close. You could probably find a friend or someone to carpool with if needed on really rainy days.

I looked at Cascade Ridge, Queen Anne and Parkside. I think that Parkside probably has the best layouts, but CR is right by the school. Queen Anne is ok, but I got the impression that the area may be a little bit distracting. When I was there on a Saturday morning there were people just wandering around and shouting back and forth to each other. I went with CR.

The new buildings at CR should be done by the end of the spring. They also have a rotating wait list. This means that they schedule their leases in such a way that they never have more then a few people moving in or out at any given time. If your on the wait list now chances are decent that you may get in there. Just call back every few weeks to see where you are at on their list.

If you have time to come here before you move you can check out all of the local listings as well that look good, but you wouldn't want to commit to without seeing first. People have been happy doing this. I recommend just driving around to find out where you might like to live. Several people have opted to live in Corvallis or Albany since they are larger towns that are not to far away.

If anyone is looking to move to the region earlier in the year I know a few good locations that are looking for individuals. PM me for details if you are interested.

I'm heading to Lebanon for the January 14th interview, excited to check out the school, see some of you soon I hope!

I also have an interview this saturday. Where are you coming from, I am from Boston.

I'll be heading to Lebanon for the 1/14 interview as well. I'm coming from Philadelphia, PA. Could someone who's already interviewed at Western/COMP Lebanon walk me through what to expect? We're there from 9am - 4pm with two multi-mini interviews and a single panel interview.

During the panel interview and MMI interviews were you alone or with other applicants? Do you interview or tour the school first? Around what time do they do the interviews? What'd everyone do while on campus?

Thanks for all your time. My names Austin, all of use who'll be there this Saturday should try to schedule a school tour together or something. Good luck to everyone!

I'll be heading to Lebanon for the 1/14 interview as well. I'm coming from Philadelphia, PA. Could someone who's already interviewed at Western/COMP Lebanon walk me through what to expect? We're there from 9am - 4pm with two multi-mini interviews and a single panel interview.

During the panel interview and MMI interviews were you alone or with other applicants? Do you interview or tour the school first? Around what time do they do the interviews? What'd everyone do while on campus?

Thanks for all your time. My names Austin, all of use who'll be there this Saturday should try to schedule a school tour together or something. Good luck to everyone!

Panal Interview: Typically, there are 3 interviewers evaluating you at the same time. They come from all sort of backgrounds (DO's, MD's, faculty, hospital CEO's, ect). There are no other interviewees in the room when this is done. Interview lasts ~30 minutes long, and they have your entire application on hand. Expect them to have at least browsed through your essays, LOR, grades, MCAT and EC's. When I interviewed, I was asked a question about my poor performance in one of my classes, so be ready to explain discrepancies/weird trends. There usually aren't any "gotcha" questions where they spring current events oriented questions or ask you about your opinion on healthcare reform. It's pretty much focused on you as an individual.

MMI: Can't discuss the content of this portion, but you are put into a room with an actor to play out some scenario. My best advice would be: just be yourself.

From 9-12, the school will give their spiel about how the curriculum is set up, rotations, tuition, Lebanon life and school environment. Pretty much a sale's pitch and your chance to get a feel for if this school is for you. 12-1 is lunch, where you can talk to other applicants, do some last minute preparation for your interview aka prayers. After lunch, interviewees are split into groups A and B, with sub-groups made up of ~6 people. Group A interviews first, while Group B does their tour of the school led by MS-1 ambassadors. Obviously, not everyone in Group A (or Group B) can interview all at once, so interviewees are left to their own devices in a lecture room while sub-groups take their turn with the interviewers. Then it switches and Group B does their interview/wait while Group A tours the building. You can leave whenever you are done with the interviews, so Group A individuals could technically leave without doing their tour.

On a side note, the campus is only 1 building at the moment, so the tour wraps up pretty quickly. It's also a good time to ask the current med students about their views on the school and so forth. Although, if you can, attending the pizza social the night before the interview is a better time to ask questions and get less sugar coated responses. Plus the fact that you aren't under stress the night before. It's hard to remember questions when you're standing there the day of, mentally reviewing your application and such.

thanks Rex, that's great to hear panel interviews are by yourself. The added pressure of additional interviewees would make things a bit more difficult. Curious, are you a first year at Lebanon?

thanks Rex, that's great to hear panel interviews are by yourself. The added pressure of additional interviewees would make things a bit more difficult. Curious, are you a first year at Lebanon?

Yes sir, MS1 here at Lebanon

I'm trying to figure out what kind of laptop to get for COMP next year, so I was wondering if current students have any recommendations?

I noticed that the school requires windows, but I'm tempted to just run parallels on a mac. Do most students use PCs?

I also was wondering if any current students use a tablet PC? It seems like being able to take notes directly on powerpoints, etc, would be pretty useful.

Thanks for your help!

I'm heading down from Seattle tomorrow. Getting excited/nervous about the MMI's!

I'm trying to figure out what kind of laptop to get for COMP next year, so I was wondering if current students have any recommendations?

I noticed that the school requires windows, but I'm tempted to just run parallels on a mac. Do most students use PCs?

I also was wondering if any current students use a tablet PC? It seems like being able to take notes directly on powerpoints, etc, would be pretty useful.

Thanks for your help!

The school requires Windows-based laptops if you plan on taking advantage of IT support in the case you get virus or computer crash. You can drop off your laptop and they perform services like reformat your drive, remove malicious virus/programs and ect. If you use a mac laptop, IT will not be able to help you if there's something wrong. From my personal experience, we don't use any software here at school that is only available on the Windows platform. About 1/3 of the Lebanon class uses Macs right now, including myself.

There also seems to be an increasing number of students who like to use an iPad alongside their laptops.

I have a Mac and an iPad and as neat as the iPad it, it isn't that good for taking notes w/ a PPT presentation. Most of the note taking apps convert PPTs into PDFs so the formatting gets wonky and/or slides get duplicated. Not a huge deal but for me it was enough to not bother with it. The electronic ink some apps are using is very good, however and they make your handwriting look the same as regular pen and paper. If you want to use your iPad like this, get a fine-tipped stylus.