Western or MCPHS-Worcester??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdgrl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been accepted to Western U in Pomona,CA and MCPHS-Worcester in Massachussetts.....does anyone know which school is better? Where can I find board passing rates for each school?...the websites don't say passing rates...at least I cant find them...:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

They are both good schools. Which do you like better? Extreme cold, or the extreme heat of the summer filled w/ smog? Choose your poison! Congrats on your acceptance

if i were u, i'll go for the closer one to your current living place now....the closer = the more u can save.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by South2006
They are both good schools. Which do you like better? Extreme cold, or the extreme heat of the summer filled w/ smog? Choose your poison! Congrats on your acceptance

choose your poison?! i see it as, cold cold weather (not counting wind chill) or southern california weather with LA/OC access! hmmm.....

Originally posted by pharmdgrl
I've recently been accepted to Western U in Pomona,CA and MCPHS-Worcester in Massachussetts.....does anyone know which school is better? Where can I find board passing rates for each school?...the websites don't say passing rates...at least I cant find them...:confused:

when did u find out u got into worcester and did u interview with them?

congrats on ur acceptances and good luck :)

I interviewed with mcp on jan 16th and heard back from them a week later. =) Originally I didn't even know they interview....but yeah they do and I actually had to go all the way over to Worcester. I heard it used to be a phone interview...but not anymore!

did they tell you how many seats were left and stuff like that?
im interviewing there on march 25th... it seems late compared to january :(

which school and city did you like better when you went for the interviews?

Originally posted by EvilGenius
did they tell you how many seats were left and stuff like that?
im interviewing there on march 25th... it seems late compared to january :(

I don't know how many seats there are...check the website it might say?? sorry not much help....Good luck on your interview tho!! I can tell you that that was one of the easiest interviews I had though. It's one on one with a professor. The professor will take you on a tour of the one building campus and pretty much interview you at the same time. It's very kick back. I was asking him more questions than he was asking me! Also, most the time we were just talking about what there was to do in Boston since I'm from the west coast and I had an extra day there. Although I guess this just depends on who you get as an interviewer....

Calgal: Ummm...I didn't like Western campus at all. It's VERY reminiscent of a strip mall....and Worcester is a 1-building campus...and I mean this literally. VERY small school w/ very few resources. Although...Western is short on resources as well being a relatively new school. I think both places are great areas. Pomona being a beautiful place...but not near the school... Worcester is near Boston and can be a wonderful experience w/ all the history there. I can see myself doing a lot of site seeing.... Sigghhh....both schools are equal to me...

I read your posts. If I were in your situation, I would stay in California and be close to my family and friends. Every pharmacy wants to train their interns so when they graduate their interns can work for them. But, if you are planning to move back every summer then they might be reluctant to hire and train you. So, if you are planning to go to Boston, then you should expect to stay there for the next 3 years. I hope this helps.

Honestly I would choose Western. Last year the students who took the Naplex at Western passed. I spoken to only a few people who moved to the east coast and none are happy about the snow. If you want to work in California in the future, it would be better to intern at a retail pharmacy while at Western and when you graduate you will have seniority to obtain a full time position.

Originally posted by michelleca4
Last year the students who took the Naplex at Western passed.

Really? Where did u find this information, I've been looking for the stats for Western?

i'd choose western too...and actually, i am accepted to western as well. i'm still waiting on other schools but i am deciding to stay in california. my family's from california, resources are great, and the weather's awesome. so, i guess maybe i'll see you at western pharmdgrl!

Members don't see this ad :)
pharmdgrl,

if u dont mind me asking what were ur grades and pcat score like?
i just wanna know what i shud have to be seriously considered.
thanks

That's what I was told by Western Students who gave a presentation to UCI pre-pharm students.

Yay!! I got my acceptance to UOP today =) =) don't have to decide b/w Western and MCP anymore!!

pharmdgrl said:
Yay!! I got my acceptance to UOP today =) =) don't have to decide b/w Western and MCP anymore!!

congrats!! mind sharing your stats?? you must be a very competitive applicant.

pharmdgrl said:

Hi,
I was just wondering what were your grades and which school did you graduate from, did you get a bachelors? I currently go to a community college right now and I really want to go to MCPHS. I dont want to get my bachelors degree so I dont kno if this is a huge disadvantage.. my gpa is 3.8 currently... Can you give me some advice.. thanks

pharmdgrl said:

Aww! I was gonna say double count my votes for MCP-Worcester! I wanted to go there if I got in but I didn't want/felt too lazy/cheap to go take the PCAT (in the past years, MCP-Worcester never required the PCATS but starting this yr, they did, sadly :( ) So CONGRATS!! Boston-area is so freakin' awesome. It reminds me of San Francisco (minus the Golden Gate Bridge and throw in some snow! ;) ) Still want to change your mind? How come you're choosing UOP over MCP? MCP has much more life, IMO, than UOP given their locations.

endlesslove said:
Aww! I was gonna say double count my votes for MCP-Worcester! I wanted to go there if I got in but I didn't want/felt too lazy/cheap to go take the PCAT (in the past years, MCP-Worcester never required the PCATS but starting this yr, they did, sadly :( ) So CONGRATS!! Boston-area is so freakin' awesome. It reminds me of San Francisco (minus the Golden Gate Bridge and throw in some snow! ;) ) Still want to change your mind? How come you're choosing UOP over MCP? MCP has much more life, IMO, than UOP given their locations.
actually, mcphs didn't require the pcat this year. they may have initially said they required it, but they did not. they said next year they will require it, though. you'll like ucsd just as much, i'm sure!! damn western alliance! i'm stuck on the east coast!

kellia said:
actually, mcphs didn't require the pcat this year. they may have initially said they required it, but they did not. they said next year they will require it, though. you'll like ucsd just as much, i'm sure!! damn western alliance! i'm stuck on the east coast!

aw shucks! my bf and I were thinking of living there...boo...Initially when I was working on my MCP-Worcester app (when there was no PCAT requirement), I had a quesiton and called them and they said even though on the website it says in the PCAT wasn't required, that was in the past; they said this yr (the one I was applying for) they will begin requiring the PCATs. :)

endlesslove said:
aw shucks! my bf and I were thinking of living there...boo...Initially when I was working on my MCP-Worcester app (when there was no PCAT requirement), I had a quesiton and called them and they said even though on the website it says in the PCAT wasn't required, that was in the past; they said this yr (the one I was applying for) they will begin requiring the PCATs. :)

re pcats: those dirty rats!! :laugh:

could i ask you what you really liked about worcester? i've accepted my acceptance, and don't really know anything about the city. i know there is a lot to do in boston, but worcester??? if you have any tips, i'd appreciate it!!

thanks! :)

kellia said:
re pcats: those dirty rats!! :laugh:

yeah, those d*mn liars ;) it's okay, UCSD loves me more 'cuz they're not making me take the second half of G-chem :p

kellia said:
could i ask you what you really liked about worcester? i've accepted my acceptance, and don't really know anything about the city. i know there is a lot to do in boston, but worcester??? if you have any tips, i'd appreciate it!!

thanks! :)
You're talking to the wrong person. i guess i mainly like their program b/c it was 3 yrs (i was really into the 3-yr programs but i dont like htose anymore; i like the 4 yrs now) and the fact that it was in a beautiful place for me and my bf to be farrrrr away from my parents, haha...and Boston area (i don't think worcester is THAT faraway??) is GORGEOUS! sorry, i'm not of much help. at the time, like i said, i wanted to apply to all the 3 yrs that didn't require a pcat...but given that i'm finishing a yr early here in undergrad, it doesn't really matter to me anymore ab that extra yr in pharm school =) good luck!! my friend's going to MCP-Boston.

Hey Keila, here's the info I gathered when I was wrestling w/ my decion.

Worcester is a huge college town, about eight to ten colleges/universities.

Biotech companies are looking to move from Boston to Worcester, which will do wonders to the surrounding area and standard of living (ie: buy your house/condo fast. =) )

Being in the center of Mass, it is marginally more convenient to go visit other states since so many turnpikes intersect close to you.

Relatively cheap housing.

You saw yourself that Downtown was in the middle of gentrifying, so it looks like it will be a nice place to live. Though you may be gone by the time they're completely done... =)

Boston is just a train ride away. =)

i'm going to be starting at MCPHS worcester in january 2006 for the excelerated nursing program. currently im in my hometown of seattle, but i have studied for a year at UMass amherst and a summer in boston. i've been to worcester once or twice b/c i had friends who went to WPI. From what i remember its more on the surburban side of living in comparison to boston, but boston is only an hour away via car so that's not bad at all. the way i see it, we'll be close enough to citylife...but far enough where it won't be a constant distraction. i will definitely be bringing my lil car along w/ me to mcphs because i don't think i could take the isolation. :D