Western U COMP vs LECOM

Started by aardvar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aardvar

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I was hoping for some advice and input in regards to which med school I should go to. So I've been accepted to both Western University of the Health Sciences (Pomona) and LECOM in Bradenton, FL. From what I can tell, they have about the same stats in terms of match rate and COMLEX scores.

WesternU:

Pros:

- made me feel very comfortable during the interview and seems to put a lot of effort into student well being

- has cultural diversity worked into the curriculum

- opportunity for international electives

- socal seems like a nice place

- interprofessional program seems cool



Cons:

- far from home (I'm from Fl)

- very expensive (~59k)



LECOM

Pros:

- cheap (~32k)

- closer to home (easy to go home, don't have to move cross country)



Cons:

- no cultural diversity training or much diversity at all in the student body

- PBL teaching style (not sure if this is a con, just unfamiliar with this style)

- vibes were lukewarm (the interview was very impersonal, faculty were kind of evasive when asked questions about things I guess they didn't have)


From what I've seen, both seem to also have issues with rotation sites sometimes but I'm not sure how accurate/up-to-date that is. There is precious little information about Western U and a lot of what I've read on LECOM is also from years ago.

Thank you in advance for any help or input!