western with sub 3.0????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyhey20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys!

i was just wondering if anyone had experience or knew someone who got into Western University (in cali.) with below a 3.0 gpa? Their minimum is 2.5, but I was curious to know if anyone has gotten in with below a 3.0 gpa? I have around a 2.6 gpa (yes, sucks, i know) but I have over 5 years retail pharmacy experience, I'm a certified tech, tons of extracurriculars, and really good letters of rec from a western alum, micro. professor, etc. I would really appreciate everyone's input.
thanks sooo much!

Members don't see this ad.

sorry, i don't know anyone that got in below a 3.0 gpa to western even with your stats, but thats not to say that you shouldn't apply.

i know 2 people that were accepted to western with gpa's below 3.0. dont worry of what people post here. just apply. you never really know whats going to happen...especially with western.

sorry, i don't know anyone that got in below a 3.0 gpa to western even with your stats, but thats not to say that you shouldn't apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know of someone who got into UCSF with a 2.8, but that still doesn't mean that your chances are good.

definitely apply to Western and pray... A LOT; to be frank, your chances of getting in are one in a million. GOOD LUCK!

hey guys!

i was just wondering if anyone had experience or knew someone who got into Western University (in cali.) with below a 3.0 gpa? Their minimum is 2.5, but I was curious to know if anyone has gotten in with below a 3.0 gpa? I have around a 2.6 gpa (yes, sucks, i know) but I have over 5 years retail pharmacy experience, I'm a certified tech, tons of extracurriculars, and really good letters of rec from a western alum, micro. professor, etc. I would really appreciate everyone's input.
thanks sooo much!

As far as I know their cut off is 3.0..I dont know why they have minimum gpa of 2.5.

As long as you're above the minimum gpa, you have a shot so you should without a doubt apply. The worst they can do is reject you and the best thing that can happen is you get in!!! I applied to several schools this past cycle I thought I had absolutely no chance at and I got into every one of them ha so give yourself that chance!!!

However, I applied to Western Nov. 1 (I believe deadline was Nov. 1) and since they are a rolling admissions school, I didn't get an interview invitation until 5 months later, in the beginning of April. Yes, you have a lower gpa than is ideal (so did I, basically I was at 3.0 gpa overall) but give yourself the best chance at getting in. This means applying early (so important!). You want Western to see your application before the deluge of apps they probably get right before Nov. 1 and with your lower gpa, it will be that much harder to stand out among them. However, in an effort to apply early, don't half-ass your application. I agonized and nit-picked much over the answers I submitted to Western. Do this and I think you have as good a shot as anyone else. It probably wouldn't hurt to re-take some courses or take some more advanced science courses to show that you can excel in them though.

As long as you're above the minimum gpa, you have a shot so you should without a doubt apply. The worst they can do is reject you and the best thing that can happen is you get in!!! I applied to several schools this past cycle I thought I had absolutely no chance at and I got into every one of them ha so give yourself that chance!!!

However, I applied to Western Nov. 1 (I believe deadline was Nov. 1) and since they are a rolling admissions school, I didn't get an interview invitation until 5 months later, in the beginning of April. Yes, you have a lower gpa than is ideal (so did I, basically I was at 3.0 gpa overall) but give yourself the best chance at getting in. This means applying early (so important!). You want Western to see your application before the deluge of apps they probably get right before Nov. 1 and with your lower gpa, it will be that much harder to stand out among them. However, in an effort to apply early, don't half-ass your application. I agonized and nit-picked much over the answers I submitted to Western. Do this and I think you have as good a shot as anyone else. It probably wouldn't hurt to re-take some courses or take some more advanced science courses to show that you can excel in them though.

great advice... make sure that you also retake any science courses that you got a C or lower in and they will count the higher grade AND recalculate your GPA by taking the lower grade out!