Western?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holdencaulfield

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a phone call from Western inviting me to an interview...I was accepted to Colorado yesterday. Is it even worth interviewing at Western? Colorado has a much better reputation, right? I mean Western is so new they haven't really had a chance to establish one. Also how does everyone feel about the fact they don't have a teaching hospital and the PBL? PBL kindof intriques me and I wonder if I may learn better from it. Also I heard on the about.com website that the interview in Western is pretty intense. Anybody interview there before/go there now? Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I didn't apply to Western because they don't have their own teaching hospital and they don't have an established reputation. Those were big issues for me. I also have some major issues with the school's close ties to Banfield--again, a personal thing. I'm sure it doesn't bother a lot of other people. I don't know enough about their curriculum to comment on the PBL; I've only heard stuff second- or third-hand (game of telephone, anyone? :), so it's probably not very accurate and not worth repeating. I also have issues with their respect for life policies--but again, that's just me, and I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me on that count.

I also just got accepted to Colorado, and I'm not going to any other interviews except Davis. Colorado is such a good school, and was my top choice after Davis, so there's no other place I applied that I would rather go. If Western was high on your list though, it would be worth it.

The only way you can know is to go see for yourself.

Yes, CSU has been around longer, but for some crazy reason, they only interview in-state (and possibly WICHE?) students. (They should interview all or interview none -- a la Wisconsin.) The people at Western actually want to take the time to meet you in person. (And besides, it's in southern California... not a bad place to visit this time of year.) If you're intrigued, and if you can afford the ticket, you should go for it. You might be pleasantly surprised...

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thought--even if you decide you don't want to go to Western, it might be worth it to go if you just need some interview practice. If you have another school that is really your top choice, for example, and they interview, it might be a good idea to get some experience before you get to your top choice. This was the situation I was in a little while ago when I interviewed at Kansas, and I am so glad I went. Getting experience in an actual interview is invaluable--I tend to get very nervous, so let's just say the interview is not the strongest part of my application ;-) Given that, I would be 10x more nervous going into an interview at Davis (if I get one, which is a big "if"!) than I would have it I didn't already have an interview under my belt.

Just some more food for thought...

chickenboo said:
Another thought--even if you decide you don't want to go to Western, it might be worth it to go if you just need some interview practice. If you have another school that is really your top choice, for example, and they interview, it might be a good idea to get some experience before you get to your top choice. This was the situation I was in a little while ago when I interviewed at Kansas, and I am so glad I went. Getting experience in an actual interview is invaluable--I tend to get very nervous, so let's just say the interview is not the strongest part of my application ;-) Given that, I would be 10x more nervous going into an interview at Davis (if I get one, which is a big "if"!) than I would have it I didn't already have an interview under my belt.

Just some more food for thought...

Thanks for all your comments...I tend to agree with you, chickenboo...my interview at Kansas makes me not so nervous for my interview at Penn tomorrow (although, I'm pretty darn nervous anyway). And the Western interview is a week before my interview at Tufts, which I still feel is my top choice. I'm still going to think about it a bit. Thanks for all your suggestions!

PBL - hands down, absolutely sucks. Its the worst part of the course - and i couldn't imagine doing your entire degree PBL style. Its an enormous amount of work and often leads you on tangents that are so obscure that they become irrelevant.... I would definitely try and limit my PBL exposure as much as possible.

Just my opinion though...

I just got a call from Western today too. I am open minded about them even though they are new(er). The PBL will be a good way to learn I think (not sure if I would necessarily want it for 3-4 years though). Purdue, Michigan State, and Tufts are my tops but they are all so competitive that I would be foolish to not at least go to the interview and see what they have to offer.

Anybody plan on being at Western for an interview the week of Feb 6???

Adenovirus

rdc said:
PBL - hands down, absolutely sucks. Its the worst part of the course - and i couldn't imagine doing your entire degree PBL style. Its an enormous amount of work and often leads you on tangents that are so obscure that they become irrelevant.... I would definitely try and limit my PBL exposure as much as possible.

Just my opinion though...

can you elaborate more...where are you studying? what do you find better? thanks a lot.

rdc, I'm curious as to where you go to school with only a little PBL learning... Yours is the first negative opinion I've heard on the PBL but I think I would have the same type of reaction, can't see myself learning much...

I am in my third year at Western. I loved the PBL curriculum (am currently in clinics now) and could not imagine learning in another way. Using the example of EIPH (Exercise induced pulmonary hemorrhage) caused by atrial fib we would learn our anatomy and physiology for that particular case by going down to the anatomy lab and disecting the respiratory tract and heart (also many of us use dyce among other books) We would read about cardiovascular and respiratory physiology. This is in addition to histology (can't only cover gross anatomy), pathology and any pharmacology involved in the treatment. Learning issues lists are much longer than this for one case which something like this case would take one week to finish. I have never been to a traditional vet school so I cannot comment on that but when I went to undergrad I memorised what the professor said and regurgitated it onto paper for the test. Yes this was relatively easier then PBL style of learning but I for one learn much better (retention wise) since I have a patient I am relating to. We do not do presentations, I agree that would suck, and we do spend a long time researching IN THE FIRST YEAR. That is because you get way more efficient in finding good resources as the process continues. This has helped me a lot in clinics when I am confronted with something I have not seen or read about before because it takes me less then 2 minutes to find what I need and I do not need to worry about finding another doctor or calling my professor because I know how and where to get my information from.
Anyway there will be many students at the interview day to answer all of your queations (I suggest writing them now before you go so you don't forget in the nervousness).

Goodluck everyone :rolleyes: Chris

Chris,

How much pathology do you get? Curious, because I know Glasgow has a real strong pathology programme. We spend way too many hours at the microscope in third year (3-4 hours per week) looking at histopathology slides (including some haematology). We have a TON of lectures in pathology for the entire third year. Also in third year, we get to do necropsies and spend a ton of time looking at post mortem specimens (i.e. bovine lungs, sheep livers, pig tongues etc.). Fourth year, we spend more time in the PM room - and also in fifth year (it's sort of in combination with meat hygiene/public health).

Do you get to do any of that stuff? Do you have a PM room?

With a PBL curriculum I'd be worried that you'd miss out on stuff. Like we had to learn to pathology of pretty much every possible disease known to man. But if you only have a handful of "PBL cases" I don't think you could cover all those diseases (or all diseases in all species).

I know that Purdue teaches in the PBL style for the first 2 years in just some classes.

birdvet2006 said:
Chris,

How much pathology do you get? Curious, because I know Glasgow has a real strong pathology programme. We spend way too many hours at the microscope in third year (3-4 hours per week) looking at histopathology slides (including some haematology). We have a TON of lectures in pathology for the entire third year. Also in third year, we get to do necropsies and spend a ton of time looking at post mortem specimens (i.e. bovine lungs, sheep livers, pig tongues etc.). Fourth year, we spend more time in the PM room - and also in fifth year (it's sort of in combination with meat hygiene/public health).

Do you get to do any of that stuff? Do you have a PM room?

With a PBL curriculum I'd be worried that you'd miss out on stuff. Like we had to learn to pathology of pretty much every possible disease known to man. But if you only have a handful of "PBL cases" I don't think you could cover all those diseases (or all diseases in all species).
With every case we study pathology (so that means we study pathology for 2 years straight from day 1. We have slides, necropsies (heck our anatomy cadavers are willed bodies so we are learning pathology along with anatomy most of the time because we only accept those that have died of terminal illness or euthanized for humane reasons. Our pathology professor has sessions with us (we do not get lectures per se but we bring our questions and she helps us, we have to be interactive). In third year we rotate through Antech Diagnostics (large diagnostic lab in US for those that aren't sure) Where we work along boarded pathologists (clinical and anatomic) on their cases be it slides, blood, urine... (clinical) or necropsies (anatomic). I have already done this rotation and all I can say is wow...I never thought I could learn so much so quickly. It was intense but a great experience.