WesternU c/o 2027 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
145 acceptances for 120 seats. 150 on waitlist
That's fd. But seriously to have made it this far is a great achievement. Truly good job everyone. We all deserve this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What happens if all accept seats? Or is there no chance that happens
Most likely it won't happen, though I do wonder what would happen if all accepted their seats. If I had to guess though, realistically very many people won't get taken off the waitlist. Still though, it is an achievement to get onto the waitlist knowing now that only 295 really get offered acceptances/alternate

I can do my best to answer for you!
1) Our professor for zoo/exotic is amazing! He has great connections and is able to really do a lot for you. We also have a zoo med club that helps with experiences etc. He used to work at the LA zoo!
2) we don't plan to turn it into a full teaching hospital because then we'd need to add a million internists which is very pricy. Keeping as is let's the school keep tuition down (I know it's already high). You do get to rotate through the hospital your 1,2 and 3 rd year!
Thank you for all the answers!! Do you know if WesternU has any connections with any of the zoos around the area? Basically like how CSU has a relationship with the Denver Zoo and can send students there or how U of F has a relationship with Disney World's Animal Kingdom. Thanks in advance!! :)

What happens if all accept seats? Or is there no chance that happens

During the c/o 2023 and c/o 2024 cycles, more applicants accepted than what Western had expected. So they deferred ~10 admitted applicants who had already paid deposit to the following school year. What's worse was that they selected students based off of when they submitted their deposit prior to the April 15th deadline. It was unclear if those who got deferred even got their deposit back. Many wrote to AAVMC to complain, but nothing was done by AAVMC about it.

You can look at the last few pages of the Western c/o 2023 and Western c/o 2024 threads to see the details.

This page contains a complain letter to AAVMC which pretty much summarized what happened:
Letter sent to the AAVMC

Over-acceptance is a common practice in many schools. What made those two incidents such big crises was how Western handled them (and how AAVMC didn't do anything about them).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for all the answers!! Do you know if WesternU has any connections with any of the zoos around the area? Basically like how CSU has a relationship with the Denver Zoo and can send students there or how U of F has a relationship with Disney World's Animal Kingdom. Thanks in advance!! :)
Unfortunately not close ones, but you do have to rotate during your third year through a zoo so they typically send you to Oregon or Ohio, it's something that's already in your tuition. I know the LA zoo doesn't do a rotation anymore and the San Diego zoo is already a hot commodity so they don't give automatic rotations, you have to apply.

• Love
Hi guys!! I’ve decided to withdraw from the waitlist to attend another school I was accepted to due to the opportunities that I would have there based on what I want to specialize in and just the fact that I personally didn't really vibe with Pomona/campus when I visited. With that being said, there usually is a link for withdrawing your app and I can't seem to find it on the portal anymore. Does anyone know how one would go about withdrawing? I know emailing is an option, but I'm guessing that they've been busy responding to other emails as they haven't responded to a previous email that I sent a few weeks ago. Has anyone gone through the process of withdrawing their app?

Best of luck to everyone, and I hope that everyone gets an opportunity to go to vet school this year!! We're all going to be amazing vets! :)

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hi guys!! I’ve decided to withdraw from the waitlist to attend another school I was accepted to due to the opportunities that I would have there based on what I want to specialize in and just the fact that I personally didn't really vibe with Pomona/campus when I visited. With that being said, there usually is a link for withdrawing your app and I can't seem to find it on the portal anymore. Does anyone know how one would go about withdrawing? I know emailing is an option, but I'm guessing that they've been busy responding to other emails as they haven't responded to a previous email that I sent a few weeks ago. Has anyone gone through the process of withdrawing their app?

Best of luck to everyone, and I hope that everyone gets an opportunity to go to vet school this year!! We're all going to be amazing vets! :)
I've come to the conclusion they do not check their e-mails lol. I sent one a week ago as well and no response.

Members don't see this ad :)
that’s very bizarre, maybe calling?? congrats on your other opportunity!

• Love
I've come to the conclusion they do not check their e-mails lol. I sent one a week ago as well and no response.
The entire school was closed last week. Spring break.

• Okay...
sorry? my bad I don't go there
Right off the website, two clicks
4B0EB9D8-992F-4CDD-8C26-AA40396519B9.jpeg

it’s not like they don’t also have a history of being poor on the communication end of things hahaha
…I get responses in 10-15 mins usually, with three different advisors. Amity, Alberto, and Tonisha have all been very responsive. Alberto even responds outside of business hours.

…I get responses in 10-15 mins usually, with three different advisors. Amity, Alberto, and Tonisha have all been very responsive. Alberto even responds outside of business hours.
... well those advisors aren't listed in my portal and my advisor has gone mute...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
... well those advisors aren't listed in my portal and my advisor has gone mute... what's the point in being so passive aggressive?
I don’t think I’m the one being passive aggressive here, but I will be completely direct with you. Y’all are the ones complaining about a school that you have no experience of, all while you would beg to get into it. You have no experience to say how involved the admissions department is with the enrolled students (it’s a lot). You have no clue how many emails they have to respond to that actually matter beyond someone being impatient for a spot to open up or wanting to know when decisions will be posted, like the 100+ accepted students that now need assistance with financial aid, updated vaccines, health insurance, etc. The excess emails just make the wait longer. If their “history of bad communication” is bugging you enough, go to another school if you have the option. Getting the opportunity to even be considered for ANY program, with only 32 in the world, is a huge deal and shows that you are on an upward trend of accomplishments in your life. Stop making it miserable and learn to love the process. For the past X years and the future Y years, you have been slowly crafting yourself into the doctor that you want to be for your future patients. You are going to get paid for a lifetime of saving puppies, there isn’t a more fulfilling position to be in. With Western, PBL is very self-starting reliant to find your own answer. If coming to the board to complain about not receiving an answer is your first move, rather than looking for why you aren’t receiving one yet, the transition to PBL might be very difficult. Yes this is a temporary moment of high stress, but we are all going to look back at this during our white coat ceremony and feel dumb for torturing ourselves like this.

Reactions: 6 users
I 100% agree. This is why an application fee is paid to apply to these schools. It is extremely unfortunate that several schools cannot even send email correspondence to applicants. Please people be mindful that people are waiting for decisions that will impact their entire life. It is perfectly okay to be frustrated with this process. The last thing we should be doing is being negative towards others. These are your potential classmates and future colleagues. Think before you comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users
Gentle reminder that while this is a high stress time, please treat everyone with kindness and respect, be that your future colleagues, admins at the program, etc. You are all in this together and should treat each other with professionalism, even when you are frustrated.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey everybody!! I just wanted to come and say I withdrew my spot on the waitlist so hopefully that opens up some opportunities for others 🥰 good luck to everyone!!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I heard that this situation might have just happened at WesternU. One of the current first years was made to restart after completing the last block of year two.
Hi! Someone told me about this post and I wanted to come on here and try to be helpful. I am the student that went from being a 2nd year to restarting the entire progam. There were a lot of factors that played into my situation including some medical issues and online schooling. That being said faculty was actually extremely supportive and helpful. I am so grateful to them and everything they continue to do. The decision to make me repeat was made by the dean at the time. We now have a different dean, I am not sure how he would have handled my situation; but again, my situation was very unique.

Hey all! I will be denying my alternate seat, as I have accepted a seat somewhere else! Good luck!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hey y'all, just took myself off the alternate list. Hopefully, that allows for some movement for the rest of you!

Reactions: 4 users
hi ya'll I just declined my seat as I've just committed to tOSU! I know it will go to one of you amazing humans. Best of luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
is anyone submitting the scholarship essay application? i’m stumped, i feel like ways you personally have helped underprivileged communities have access to higher education is super niche. am i just focusing too much on the details??

I submitted the trustee scholarship on Monday and never received a confirmation, did anybody? The scholarship information was removed from my status page as soon as I submitted, I just wanted to make sure no additional confirmation was needed.

I submitted the trustee scholarship on Monday and never received a confirmation, did anybody? The scholarship information was removed from my status page as soon as I submitted, I just wanted to make sure no additional confirmation was needed.
i just got an email saying my parents income information is missing from my FAFSA and i have to update it by midnight April 8. i logged onto my FAFSA and the information is there but i won’t be able to contact anybody until monday which is too late

i just got an email saying my parents income information is missing from my FAFSA and i have to update it by midnight April 8. i logged onto my FAFSA and the information is there but i won’t be able to contact anybody until monday which is too late
I’m sure if it is there and you email back before the deadline they should be able to fix it? I got the same email but I had not included my parents in my fasfa so I will be updating mine today.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let the waitlisters know I have declined my acceptance at western to go somewhere else! Goodluck guys!!

Reactions: 5 users
For deadline for deposit tomorrow (04/15), we just have to accept seat and pay deposit by 11:59 PM Pacific time right?

Hello I will be declining my seat. Good luck everyone and hope someone gets pulled out of the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard about any waitlist movement yet? How much does it typically move?

So I'm not not 100% how accurate this is but right now it looks like 59 people on the 2027 email list. AGAIN idk how accurate it is but I hope this kind of calms any nervous

So I'm not not 100% how accurate this is but right now it looks like 59 people on the 2027 email list. AGAIN idk how accurate it is but I hope this kind of calms any nervous
as in 59 students accepted their offer ?

as in 59 students accepted their offer ?
It's 59 students who has an email associated with DVM 2027, I'm not 100% if it means accepted but that my guess! I'm not sure if they have updated since this weekend. I just can't truly confirm anything for you all since I don't work for the school

It's 59 students who has an email associated with DVM 2027, I'm not 100% if it means accepted but that my guess! I'm not sure if they have updated since this weekend. I just can't truly confirm anything for you all since I don't work for the school

Do you mind updating after today? Like the next time you see the email list?