WesternU COMP vs OUHCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natcrat2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I know there are tons of forums comparing schools to Western COMP but I had trouble finding ones comparing HCOM. So I wanted everyone's thoughts on these two schools that I have been accepted to and maybe help me make a pros and cons list? I am from Ohio so the practicing requirment does not apply to me for HCOM, and I'm not worried about tuition because I was accepted into the Navy HPSP program! I always had dreamed about moving to SoCal and I loved it when I visited (although Pomona seemed a bit sketchy, but I may not be the best judge coming from a small rural town). I loved both visits/interview days and am so torn between the two. Thanks in advance everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I know there are tons of forums comparing schools to Western COMP but I had trouble finding ones comparing HCOM. So I wanted everyone's thoughts on these two schools that I have been accepted to and maybe help me make a pros and cons list? I am from Ohio so the practicing requirment does not apply to me for HCOM, and I'm not worried about tuition because I was accepted into the Navy HPSP program! I always had dreamed about moving to SoCal and I loved it when I visited (although Pomona seemed a bit sketchy, but I may not be the best judge coming from a small rural town). I loved both visits/interview days and am so torn between the two. Thanks in advance everyone!

Hey if you like CA come to western. Since you're apart of the hpsp which basically cancels out the money factor you might as well take advantage and get the most out of CA until the match comes around since the military can essentially place you where they want after that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I also got into OUHCOM and WesternU!! Which campus from OU did you get into?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, first of all. Both are great schools and you can't go wrong either way.

A friend of mine is Navy HPSP too and he said he had a lot of say in picking his first duty station, so obviously he picked San Diego. If you love California, ultimately want to live and practice there, I would go to Western and start establishing yourself in the region. Do well in med school and you'll have a degree of liberty where you end up serving your first tour.

OUHCOM, and in my opinion, this should be obvious. Not only does it have state school resources, but you're an Ohio resident. Being near your family and friends is something you are going to want. You'll have better career opportunities and better residency opportunities.

Also, moving to Cali is overrated.

Didn't apply to WesternU COMP, but got into OUHCOM. Amazing program on a beautiful campus (Athens campus)!

Congrats, first of all. Both are great schools and you can't go wrong either way.

A friend of mine is Navy HPSP too and he said he had a lot of say in picking his first duty station, so obviously he picked San Diego. If you love California, ultimately want to live and practice there, I would go to Western and start establishing yourself in the region. Do well in med school and you'll have a degree of liberty where you end up serving your first tour.

Wrong. You will go to wherever that the Navy needs you at.

Reactions: 2 users
Wrong. You will go to wherever that the Navy needs you at.

No idea on the Western vs. OUHCOM, but what the above poster said is true.

I went through the entire application process, talked to a handful of students in the program and a couple residents that graduated while utilizing HPSP, and you have to be okay with being 100% controlled by the military. They also have an influence on your specialty you go into. For these, and other reasons, I withdrew my application from HPSP after spending 2 months getting my application together.

It's a great program if you know exactly what you're getting yourself into, and you're not doing it for the financial benefits. If you have your mind made up and know what you're getting into, serious props to you; much respect. If there is any grey area or hesitation, make sure you research as much as you possibly can before you commit.

Last edited:

I went through the entire application process, talked to a handful of students in the program and a couple residents that graduated from the while utilizing HPSP, and you have to be okay with being 100% controlled by the military. They also have an influence on your specialty you go into. For these, and other reasons, I withdrew my application from HPSP after spending 2 months getting my application together.

It's a great program if you know exactly what you're getting yourself into, and you're not doing it for the financial benefits. If you have your mind made up and know what you're getting into, serious props to you; much respect. If there is any grey area or hesitation, make sure you research as much as you possibly can before you commit.

I am researching the topic like crazy. I haven't officially accepted the scholarship but am really leaning towards it. Although all the SDN horror stories haunt me at night lol

I went through the entire application process, talked to a handful of students in the program and a couple residents that graduated from the while utilizing HPSP, and you have to be okay with being 100% controlled by the military. They also have an influence on your specialty you go into. For these, and other reasons, I withdrew my application from HPSP after spending 2 months getting my application together.

This is exactly why I never trusted the HPSP program.

What do I do when I want to find out more information? My advisors all say "ask a recruiter." Even SDN says "ask a recruiter."

So what happens when I ask a recruiter?

They tell me exactly what I want to hear. They strongly downplay the "catch." They're careful not to lie, but I can easily sense their weasel words. They say things like "it's a good possibility you won't have to ----." They say the things my parents (lawyers) always warned me about.

Maybe these strategies work for kids just out of high school, but incoming medical students can often tell when they're being had.

Don't get me wrong, HPSP is great for a lot of people. But you need to know what you're getting into. Like, really know. Uncle Sam isn't just giving you 300k of tuition in exchange for you working a few years on an army base. They expect a return on that investment. This means they expect a lot from you, and just how much may surprise you.

This is exactly why I never trusted the HPSP program.

What do I do when I want to find out more information? My advisors all say "ask a recruiter." Even SDN says "ask a recruiter."

So what happens when I ask a recruiter?

They tell me exactly what I want to hear. They strongly downplay the "catch." They're careful not to lie, but I can easily sense their weasel words. They say things like "it's a good possibility you won't have to ----." They say the things my parents (lawyers) always warned me about.

Maybe these strategies work for kids just out of high school, but incoming medical students can often tell when they're being had.

Don't get me wrong, HPSP is great for a lot of people. But you need to know what you're getting into. Like, really know. Uncle Sam isn't just giving you 300k of tuition in exchange for you working a few years on an army base. They expect a return on that investment. This means they expect a lot from you, and just how much may surprise you.

SDN on the military page def doesn't tell you to ask a recruiter. LOL

Anyway, their recruiting tactics seem to work just fine even for med students considering that there are HPSPers out there who think that they will get cush assignments as a noob bc of their academic performance in school. LOL

However, the recruiter might not be lying at all bc 29 Palms and Pendleton are among the 5 worst Navy bases out there -- both of them are within a few hours of SD. ROFL.