WesternU COMP vs Touro Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gung11

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am deciding between Western University (Pomona campus) and Touro Nevada in Henderson. Does any current students/alumni or really anyone have some advice that will help me make the decision?

Can anyone share some Pro's/Con's to the schools? Experiences? Clinical EC opportunities?

I've heard from some Western students that because the school doesn't have a 'home' hospital that clinical's can be annoying going to different sites. I've also heard that they have a limited faculty so it is a little difficult to set up research?

Anything would help! Thank you, All!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I am deciding between Western University (Pomona campus) and Touro Nevada in Henderson. Does any current students/alumni or really anyone have some advice that will help me make the decision?

Can anyone share some Pro's/Con's to the schools? Experiences? Clinical EC opportunities?

I've heard from some Western students that because the school doesn't have a 'home' hospital that clinical's can be annoying going to different sites. I've also heard that they have a limited faculty so it is a little difficult to set up research?

Anything would help! Thank you, All!
What do you like more:
Mexican food, or Las Vegas buffets?

Keep in mind that in LV, summer makes a serious attempt to kill you.

"But it's a dry heat!" you say? So's an oven.

Seriously, which one has cheaper tuition?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
What do you like more:

This isn't very helpful Goro...

What do you like more:

TUN has cheaper tuition by $3k... but aside from finance, I'm really just concerned about the difference in programs (if any) and which would offer a better ~med school experience~. Which would prepare me better for boards/residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
TUN has cheaper tuition by $3k... but aside from finance, I'm really just concerned about the difference in programs (if any) and which would offer a better ~med school experience~. Which would prepare me better for boards/residency?
They're both fine schools. Both will prepare you well for residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

Background:
I'm from Orange County and Western COMP used to be my dream school. I attended 4 of their preview days (once in person) and spoke with MANY current/graduated students. In terms of Touro NV, I attended 1 preview day, 1 alumni event, and talked to a few faculty members. After doing MUCH research, I have decided to put my deposit down for Touro NV as it easily my TOP choice now for medical school!

Something great I noticed about both schools:
  • They both have a cadaver lab. I've heard Touro NV in particular has a great anatomy lab with a small student to cadaver ratio. I would guess Western COMP does as well, but I'm not too sure. LECOM was also one of my top choices, but what drew me away from LECOM was that they don't have cadaver labs. (It probably explains why their tuition is so incredibly affordable!)
  • The students gave extremely professional vibes. I have attended preview days for schools where the students didn't seem to know what they're talking about and it turned me off from the school.
  • They both have opportunities for research. This was important to me as I wanted to continue doing research as a medical student. I realized a good handful of DO schools don't have research opportunities. (Fun fact: Touro NV recently received a GIANT fund for their new research facility!)
  • Both schools have a great reputation. Touro (the medical school in general) has been around for many years and is well recognized. Western COMP is probably the choice DO school to attend for many people hoping to attend med school in CA!
  • They're both in great locations. Pomona is near LA, Disneyland, and also the beach! Mountain High is about an hour away if you're into winter sports. However, Henderson is near Las Vegas, many BEAUTIFUL national parks including Zion Canyon and the Grand Canyon, opportunities to snowboard/ski in Mount Charleston, etc! Lots to do around both campuses.
  • Both have a very collaborative feel and opportunities to work interprofessionally.
Comparing and contrasting Western COMP to Touro NV:
  • Campus: Western COMP is BEAUTIFUL! I really loved how modern the buildings were from the outside and how green the overall campus was. In contrast, Touro NV is one GIANT rectangular building (I advise you look up photos yourself). The feel of the campus is very important for me. I want to feel good walking around the campus. While Touro NV doesn't compare to the look of Western COMP from the outside, Touro NV truly has STATE OF THE ART facilities inside. Western COMP was founded in 1977 while Touro NV was founded in 2004, so everything at Touro NV feels very brand new, clean, and the rooms are very spacious (I've visited both facilities before and you can see what Touro NV is like through their virtual tour). Touro NV is also currently undergoing construction and I've heard they are trying to expand the facility even more!
  • Ranking/scores: Western COMP is ranked 94-144 in Primary Care by US News. Touro NV is unranked (as of now). Perhaps this is because Touro NV is a newer school? However, Western COMP has a COMLEX pass rate of 94.2% (2019, class of 2020) and a match rate of 98.8%. I believe the national avg COMLEX pass rate is 94.7%, so Western COMP scored slightly lower than the national average. In contrast, Touro NV has had 100% COMLEX pass rate (for the past 2 years!!!!) and a 100% match rate as well. I have heard Touro NV is a rapidly growing school and while the fact that Touro NV isn't ranked yet does somewhat concern me, I couldn't help but think Touro NV would prepare me to be a better doctor someday than Western COMP.
  • Location: I grew up in Orange County so I am very familiar with the Pomona area. The place is safe and a great place to raise a family someday. I have family in Henderson and have visited a few times. The place also feels very safe and is a great place to raise a family someday. In fact, Henderson was named one of the best cities to live in America a few years ago. Both honestly give me suburban vibes which I love. However, the cost of living in CA is obviously MUCH higher than in NV. The housing price in Henderson NV will likely be 1/3 to 1/2 of what one will pay living in Pomona, CA. (Gas is also significantly cheaper in NV too!)

Extra pros of Touro NV:
  • Despite Touro NV being a very new school, it didn't give me new/unestablished vibes like other newer schools (founded in the past 30 years) did. I've heard from students at these new schools that because their school is so new, the school still seems to be figuring out their curriculum and the students voiced their concern about that. Perhaps it's because Touro itself (originated in NY, then branched to CA, then branched to NV) has been around for a very long time, it seemed like Touro NV had all the benefits of a brand new, state of the art, clean, new facility, without the unestablished curriculums of an academically new school.
  • Because many people travel to and from Las Vegas, NV, airfare is often VERY affordable. I'm not sure where you're coming from, but I've noticed round trip airfare for Las Vegas is around $50.
  • I think one of the things that sold me to Touro NV was how ABSOLUTELY passionate their alumni and faculty were about Touro NV. They mentioned how Touro NV was established to meet the medical need in the area. Therefore, even after you graduate, I've heard the job market in NV is excellent and it is much easier to work your way up if you wanted to. In contrast, it is comparatively harder to find a job in CA even after graduating med school and even more difficult to work your way up.

I have received 7 II, 5 acceptances, and 0 rejections so far. However, I know without a doubt that I will personally be putting my deposit down for Touro NV! I hope my points have been helpful. Please feel free to message me with any questions you may have!

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
I forgot to mention:

Another pro of Touro NV is that their class size is 168. Western COMP's class size is 227. I've heard from many people that a smaller class size for med school is better!