WesternU MSMS Fall 2011/2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, Alex. I was wondering how many pre-DO students in the MSMS program were granted linkages to COMP? Does everyone have a chance to matriculate directly into the medical school? How brutal is IASC? Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for answering all of our questions Alex! =)
How many times during the program do you get an opportunity to take the MCAT? Were there any students who were accepted into the DO linkage without the 24 on the MCAT and had to get the 24 before the end of the program? How realistic is it to be able to fully prepare to take the MCAT during the program? It takes many hours to prepare for the MCAT and it seems that the program already has a heavy load of coursework. =/

Hello all,

Alex shared this thread with the group I thought I might help him answer questions since you guys have seemed to bombard him lol no offense intended there I completely understand wanting to get answers :) Also, I'll be able to give another perspective since I am pre-DO.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, Alex. I was wondering how many pre-DO students in the MSMS program were granted linkages to COMP? Does everyone have a chance to matriculate directly into the medical school? How brutal is IASC? Thanks again.

10 of the pre-DO students were given linkage spots... There are 19 total in our class who are pre-DO. Yes everyone has a chance to go directly into Med School. I was one of the unlucky 9 that was not given a linkage spot but I will (unofficially still... we get official word in the next month or so) be matriculating into COMP NW in August.

We started the program jumping straight into ISAC and it was definitely a shift kick in the butt for me since I took a two year break after undergraduate. For the second cohort they will start 2 weeks before ISAC and take a learning skills course that will help your brain revert back into the school mode and really the information you will learn in that course will be very helpful. For our class we took it concurrently with ISAC and though we were given useful information, it was a major pain to stay after ISAC lecture for several hours for the critical learning skills class instead of being able to go study for ISAC. But ISAC really once you get into the groove isn't that bad. It's a LOT of blatant memorization but for me the lab helped greatly! But I'm also a hands on learner so extra hours in the lab was what got me through the course.

Thanks for answering all of our questions Alex! =)
How many times during the program do you get an opportunity to take the MCAT? Were there any students who were accepted into the DO linkage without the 24 on the MCAT and had to get the 24 before the end of the program? How realistic is it to be able to fully prepare to take the MCAT during the program? It takes many hours to prepare for the MCAT and it seems that the program already has a heavy load of coursework. =/

The program pays for MCAT prep and they recommend that you take the MCAT in January. At least thats what they did for our class. Though it makes it a little nerve racking for those of us who were not linked. Most schools have filled their classes by the time we get our MCAT scores back. I believe this is something they are going to fix in the timeline for the next class. The prep course will be offered earlier in the year, hopefully giving people the opportunity to take the MCAT in Nov and then if needed a student can re-take it in January.

Yes there were a couple students offered linkage that had below a 24 and will keep their linkage if they scored higher than a 24 of the MCAT we took in January. If they don't get a 24 I'm not sure what is going to happen... fingers-crossed that doesn't happen and it's not an issue for those folks.

As long as you manage your time efficiently it is completely feasible to prep for the MCAT while doing well in this program. But I do stress efficiency... and don't plan to have a life outside of school for a couple months. If you are married and/or have kids you'll need to warn them that you will not be able to focus as much time on them during that period of time. We have a couple folks in our class with kids and honestly I don't know how they did it! They are rockstars!! I am married and my husband definitely was excited when I was finished with the MCAT because he actually got to spend time with me again lol. Yes the courseload is pretty hefty, but as long as you plan and study efficiently you'll do fine.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes to mind I can help Alex answer questions :)
~Amelia

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Amelia!

Thanks for chiming in! We def were bombarding Alex lol. I was just wondering for those who were given the linkage, what criteria do they go by? Like having an mcat above 24 and high gpa? and for the MCAT course do they pay specifically for the Kaplan course or could we pick a different one?

Was COMP NW your first choice? Or did you also apply to other schools while in the program? Would you say it's difficult to apply to schools while in the program and have to take time off? The course load seems intense and Alex said attendance was mandatory so I don't know if that poses a problem.

Lastly, I know Midwestern has a SMP too, their students however don't interview until their last quarter is done, is it the same for Western? If we didn't get the linkage would you have to wait until the MS is done to interview?

Wow sorry, that's a lot more questions than I thought, but your input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Amelia,
Thank you so much for all of your input, it is greaty appreciated! You said that you don't have the linkage but are unofficially matriculating into COMP NW in August(will know next month for sure), does that mean you applied to COMP NW during the MSM program? Did you need to get higher than a 24 to be considered? Did all the non-linked pre-DO students get this opportunity for COMP NW? I am assuming you were interviewed for the COMP NW, or was it like the DO Linkage to Western where you didn't need to be interviewed and you only submitted an application? Sorry I know I am bombarding you with questions, but it eases the anxiety with having to wait for a phone call all day! =) Thanks so much!

Hi Amelia!

Thanks for chiming in! We def were bombarding Alex lol. I was just wondering for those who were given the linkage, what criteria do they go by? Like having an mcat above 24 and high gpa? and for the MCAT course do they pay specifically for the Kaplan course or could we pick a different one?

Was COMP NW your first choice? Or did you also apply to other schools while in the program? Would you say it's difficult to apply to schools while in the program and have to take time off? The course load seems intense and Alex said attendance was mandatory so I don't know if that poses a problem.

Lastly, I know Midwestern has a SMP too, their students however don't interview until their last quarter is done, is it the same for Western? If we didn't get the linkage would you have to wait until the MS is done to interview?

Wow sorry, that's a lot more questions than I thought, but your input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

I'm not sure what the criteria for linkage is. But I do know that as part of the interview for the MSMS program you are interviewed by someone from your professional program and with the interviewers for the MSMS (who are involved with COMP) they pick the folks they want for linkage and then the admissions committee for the professional school of your choice then needs to approve those linkage spots. But I'm not exactly sure about their criteria, but it does consider a lot more than just MCAT score and GPA.

For us they paid for the Kaplan course... however we didn't like it. We did not find it feesible with our schedule nor did it fully prepare us. We have made several suggestions for next year such as having an intensive physics review course and a strategies course instead of a set prep course like kaplan or princeton. MCBL and biochem will be enough to get a good score on the biological sciences section so we felt a review in physics and gen chem would be much more helpful than the review course... but they haven't decided what their plan of action is for the second cohort.

COMP NW was my first choice... I'm from Oregon and though So*Cal has been a nice place for temporarily... I am VERY ready to go home hahaha

I did not apply to any other school because I had met with the Dean for COMP NW and knew she wanted me in her class. But there are others in our program that did apply to other schools and went to interviews out of state. Attendance is mandatory but they have been okay with people missing class to go to interviews. The goal of this program is to get you accepted into professional school. They obviously would prefer that you attend Western but if you get accepted to another school that still fulfills their goal :)

I don't know anything about Midwestern's program but Western will interview you whenever you have all your application turned in.

Amelia,
Thank you so much for all of your input, it is greaty appreciated! You said that you don't have the linkage but are unofficially matriculating into COMP NW in August(will know next month for sure), does that mean you applied to COMP NW during the MSM program? Did you need to get higher than a 24 to be considered? Did all the non-linked pre-DO students get this opportunity for COMP NW? I am assuming you were interviewed for the COMP NW, or was it like the DO Linkage to Western where you didn't need to be interviewed and you only submitted an application? Sorry I know I am bombarding you with questions, but it eases the anxiety with having to wait for a phone call all day! =) Thanks so much!

Yes, I turned in my application for COMP NW in the beginning of January. They will look at my application with any MCAT score but for matriculation they strongly prefer a 24... though in the Pomona DO 2014 class there are several students that I know of that got below a 24 on the MCAT and are still in the DO program.. so it's really the compilation of your application.

Most people applied for school while in this program to avoid a gap year. Though a couple have decided to wait. Obviously that's personal preference but a gap year is not necessary.

Non-linked students are open pool applicants so I'm not sure if I understand your question about the COMP NW 'opportunity'. Linked students get to choose which campus they want to attend.

Only students with linkage do NOT need to interview. All non-linked students have to be interviewed.

Thanks Amelia!

I think when I emailed Jodi she mentioned classes would start June 1st this year. So it does seem like they're making changes from the first class. Makes me want to go here even more! Your feedback has been very helpful!

I hope we hear something next week! :)

Hi Amelia and Alex,

Thank you again for discovering our posts and contributing your experiences in our discussions.

i was wondering, what are the requirements for the Non-DO students - per se - dental, optometry, pharmacy, etc..?

Thank you.

Yes, happy Sunday! Can't wait for the next week, I think we will be getting interview calls! Good luck everyone =)

I hope so! I'm hoping to see some good updates on this thread :)

Happy Sunday indeed. Good luck everyone. I hope to be studying alongside all of you in a few months.

I heard there is an essay you have to write on the day of the interview. Is it just like the MCAT (1 hour, 2 essays)? I am not a big fan of writting, so I wonder how heavily does adcomm weight this portion on the day of interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
ODorDO,
If you look on page 2, you note Alex describes the essays as more of a competency and character assessment, so they are probably not MCAT style questions. Mostly likely, they are the "what would you do in this situation..." question. As I've read in previous posts the interviews tend to not be too stressful.

(On a completely random thought: is it possible that if the first interview is schdeuled for March 10th and no phone calls have yet been made, then most likely these calls wil be made to local people, ie Californians?)

Mickc,
Um, I don't think that is the case. I remember last year for interviews, they called about a week before as well and there were a few students who flew in from different parts of the country. So let's hope we all get calls this week, in or out of state. =) :xf::luck:

If I remember correctly someone mentioned earlier in the thread interviews were given based on competitiveness first? Either way I hope we hear something this week. Btw when you guys log in to see your status, is your phone number on it?? My line is blank!

If I remember correctly someone mentioned earlier in the thread interviews were given based on competitiveness first? Either way I hope we hear something this week. Btw when you guys log in to see your status, is your phone number on it?? My line is blank!

Hi Mzeep,
I just checked my application status page and my phone number is listed. Maybe you should call and make sure they have your number. =/

Just called them and fixed it! Must have been a glitch since they had my number on file. She said people selected for the March 10th date should get notified by the end of this week. Now it feels like the week just got longer :/

As far as the interview notice goes I got an e-mail saying that I was offered an interview with all of the dates of interviews and then I called Jodi to schedule my date. I flew in from Oregon for my interview but still went to one of the first ones... I think actually I went to the second interview date.

I do know that a couple people in the class got a call about interviews, but I didn't. Good Luck you guys! Hopefully, I'll get a chance to meet you all at your interviews :)

I heard there is an essay you have to write on the day of the interview. Is it just like the MCAT (1 hour, 2 essays)? I am not a big fan of writting, so I wonder how heavily does adcomm weight this portion on the day of interview?

You only have to write one essay... You are given 4 or 5 different scenarios and you are asked yo write about your course of action, who you would involve, etc. You do have access to the internet to write the essay so if you do not know what the disease is or any term for that matter you have the ability to look it up. And they prefer that you do research to write the essay. Mine was almost a full page and do be honest I don't remember if I double spaced or not... I don't think so. But I also wrote about a topic that I was very familiar with. I don't know how much it is 'weighed' compared to your actual interview and your application as a whole. I do know that they are not really looking at your overall writing skills... though some is necessary of course. Alex is correct they are mostly looking for how you mentally process new situations and your competency level.

Hi Amelia and Alex,

Thank you again for discovering our posts and contributing your experiences in our discussions.

i was wondering, what are the requirements for the Non-DO students - per se - dental, optometry, pharmacy, etc..?

Thank you.

What requirements are you talking about for Non-DO students? Requirements to get into the program or requirements to get linkage? As far as the first.. I'm pretty sure they are the same.. you just have to have taken the GRE or your respective graduate school exam... but your GPA requirement is the same across the board to get into the MSMS program.

As far as linkage goes... it might be different for the second cohort, plus they are wanting to add other programs such as Pharmacy and PA or PT. But this year for dental... if you were on the waitlist at WesternU Dental then you were linked. For optometry... Alex had a little bit of a roller coaster in the beginning of the year and I'm not completely sure what it was about. But ultimately I believe he got linkage and I don't know what the requirements are.

I just got a call for an interview on the 10th!!!! Yayy! So excited! I'm sure u guys will get a call soon! =))

Yayy!!! Omg so happy for you!! Anyone else hear from them?? :luck:

Thanks everyone! I'm really hoping all of u get interviews so we can meet! =) keeping my fingers crossed for all of u! :xf:

Awesome 17191719! Congratulations!

Congrats guys !! :)

Congrats 17191719! I guess I will be seeing you there! =)

I got March 15th. They said they'd email me the details, has anyone received anything yet?

I got March 15th. They said they'd email me the details, has anyone received anything yet?

They told me the same thing, but I haven't received anything yet =/

Hey I was just wondering how early you guys submitted your application?

Hey guys congrats! Any pre-dentals get an interview invite?

I sumbitted my application first week of December.

For those of you who got interviews, were you notified by phone or email??

Congrats guys! I am sending out my application right now.

Quick question: How do I release my MCAT score to MSMS? I clicked the link on the Checklist and all it did was brought me back to the report that I created. Thanks

Congrats guys! I am sending out my application right now.

Quick question: How do I release my MCAT score to MSMS? I clicked the link on the Checklist and all it did was brought me back to the report that I created. Thanks

you just need to copy paste that link onto your application and when they click on it, it takes them to your MCAT score page that you created. =)
Hope that makes sense.

Hey I am not from the area and am under 25 so i cant rent a car do you guys know of any hotels between ontario airport and pomona that have free shuttles or such?....

In addition I got a phone call... and the lady said it would be followed by an email... I turned in my application last november or october its been a long wait for me .... so nervous for the interview....

alex or anyone in the program know of the lowest mcat in the program i know the lowest gpa was a 2.9 said jodi when i spoke with her...

in addition any advice from past interviewers would be greatly appreciated

Excited to meet everyone that got an interview! Does anyone know how many interviewers we will have that day?

mickc and med2op thanks and hope to see you both there :):xf:

you just need to copy paste that link onto your application and when they click on it, it takes them to your MCAT score page that you created. =)
Hope that makes sense.

THANK YOU :thumbup:

Thank you for your words of encouragement. By the way, is that an overall, or a science gpa? I'm thinking it's going to be a close call for me.

Anyone interviewing brave enough to post their gpa and MCAT?

2.97 / 23M

Best,
Mick

3.6 - 20M MCAT-Jan2011

Hi 17191719,
Your GPA is so high. I'm sure you would be able to easily get into Western's DO program directly if you improve your MCAT score. Just wondering why you want to spend the money for the MSMS with such a high GPA.

I live in LA but am totally unfamiliar with the Pomona area. I'm sure most hotels would provide shuttle transportation =/ GOOD LUCK SEARCHING!

I had an interview for this program last year too. On last years thread for this program DbDan explained his interview, I think we were interviewed on the same day. He explains it exactly as it was. I quoted his post below. If you have any other questions, I can try and answer them =)

"There were 10 of us who interviewed today, Jodi mentioned that there was 5 interviewed before our group and currently 9 more scheduled, some others still needing to be scheduled and more filing in as today was the last day to submit. The group that interviewed today were all very nice and everyone was very supportive of one another. Overall I could see any one of them as a classmate come June and would be very happy. (I know some of you are on here! lol)

There is space for 20-25 students, 10 linkage DO spots, 2 linkage Dental spots and what looks like 5 podiatry? (I think) spots for linkage. That doesn't necessarily mean the breakdown of the class will be this though since our interviews were actually all for DO linkage.

We had an essay to write, it was a behavioral essay giving you a conflicting situation asking how you would respond. You have about an hr and internet access to write it, nothing too difficult.

We had a short campus tour, which I must say is a great campus. The new building is great and while its not an undergrad feel since it is basically an old strip mall, its definitely bigger and nicer than some DO schools which have a single building which is little more than a converted warehouse.

We then had lunch and a financial aid presentation. Lunch was good, nothing spectacular but better than I had at LECOM or Touro, some sandwiches, chips, orange/apple, a cookie and some soda. One thing I did not realize is that courses actually being on JUNE 14th. VERY early especially since I'm on a few waitlists and this is likely the very earliest I'd hear back from them. Interesting situation but nothing I can't work out with the office in the event I get accepted, we'll see.

Interview itself was fairly uneventful. Some normal questions, why medicine, why DO, experience based questions showing maturity, responsibility, etc. The interview was fairly laid back and the interviewers were very nice, not as stressful as some other interviews I've been in. They said that we should hear back in roughly 2 weeks about both the MSMS program as well as linkage.

I left with a good feeling about the school. Jodi was very nice and extremely helpful and understanding of every situation. She was very forthcoming with information and seems very excited to help everyone in the program. She said they will be issuing committee letters, helping with personal statements, school selection, etc. They seem genuinely invested in getting you into medical school, regardless of whether it is at Western or elsewhere. The faculty seemed very happy there and campus was great. Overall I was very impressed.

If I don't get linkage is it the place for me? probably not. The tuition is just too steep personally and I feel that I could better accomplish my goals by retaking courses through an extension program and keeping my job so I won't accumulate debt. I would definitely love to get a DO at Western though so who knows, maybe if I don't get linkage and go my own unstructured way I'll still somehow make it into the school. To anyone that interviewed with me today, good luck, hope you all get accepted! " DbDan

Hey I am not from the area and am under 25 so i cant rent a car do you guys know of any hotels between ontario airport and pomona that have free shuttles or such?....

In addition I got a phone call... and the lady said it would be followed by an email... I turned in my application last november or october its been a long wait for me .... so nervous for the interview....

alex or anyone in the program know of the lowest mcat in the program i know the lowest gpa was a 2.9 said jodi when i spoke with her...

in addition any advice from past interviewers would be greatly appreciated

Excited to meet everyone that got an interview! Does anyone know how many interviewers we will have that day?

I remember reading somewhere on the Western COMP thread some people stayed at Comfort Inn in Pomona. It's supposed to be really close to Western too. I don't know all the details but just letting you know if you want to check it out and I think Sheraton in Pomona has a free shuttle from the airport, don't know if it goes to the school though :luck:

YESSSSS!!! Interviews!!! Who-hoo! March 10th. Hope to you all there. Good luck to us all.

Mick

Mickc,
You got an interview for the 10th??

Yess! I'm scheduled to be there at 8:45 am, March 10th. They're going to send me an email with the rest of the information.

Yess! I'm scheduled to be there at 8:45 am, March 10th. They're going to send me an email with the rest of the information.

yayyy!!!! Congrats!!! See you there!! =)