WesternU MSMS Fall 2011/2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@17191719

No, I have not heard anything back yet from them. Have you gotten an invite already?

Members don't see this ad.

@17191719

No, I have not heard anything back from them yet.

Have you gotten an invite or interviewed?

hey has anyone received an interview invite yet? The first round are being invited this week.

They are being invited this week?? So you know of applicants who have received interview invites already? How do you know it's this week? Also, are they being invited this week or are interviews this week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I was just about to ask everything you did Med2OP! I'm also curious how many they've given this week. Although this is a good update it's giving me more anxiety now lol

Mzeep, I know I check my phone every 2 seconds to see if I've missed a call. Don't know how much longer i can wait =/ good luck to all! =)

:)Hi all! I just called Western. They said they set up interview dates for March 10, 15 and 30th. They have not invited anyone for an interview yet but those who are chosen will be getting calls soon! :xf::xf:

Thanks for updating us!! Wow so potential interviews are less than a month away! Hope we hear some good news! Good luck to you too! :)

I have not received a call yet, let us know to the first person who gets a call, heard from E. Gonzalez (admission councelor) that they were supposed to make calls this week if you get an interview (emails if you are rejected), i know that people who get the first interviews are the most competitive and later invites are less competitive from what the councelor portrayed, she said this is generally the case, not the order in which your application is received. This is good news for some, but bad for others!

PS this is all just hear say from people in the admissions building no one sounds too confident in what they say ... just an fyi

Hey all was just wondering if anyone applied to Midwestern MA program in Glendale AZ its a very similar program, I just got acceptance and western is my first choice, but now I have to sweat it out until I receive notification from them or pay the 750 deposit at Midwestern as a back up :( Anyone else in the same boat or similar?

PS Is everyone here doing Pre- DO or MD?

.... when you find you will you let us know your general gpa and test scores, you dont have to, it would be just helpful for the rest to see where we stand? Thank you, and I totally understand if you do not want to. :) GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Hey all was just wondering if anyone applied to Midwestern MA program in Glendale AZ its a very similar program, I just got acceptance and western is my first choice, but now I have to sweat it out until I receive notification from them or pay the 750 deposit at Midwestern as a back up :( Anyone else in the same boat or similar?

PS Is everyone here doing Pre- DO or MD?

I think there are quite a few predents as well as premeds applying, at least on the first page of this thread lol. Congrats on your acceptance btw! Just PM'd you about some questions I had.

It's a tough choice but I would def wait until the last minute to pay the deposit for AZ. Just in case, is the deposit refundable?

I am contemplating applying, I know it's a little late. Just had a quick question regarding the program. So I understand that there are 10 linkage spots, but I also understand that the program is one year in length. Do you have to complete the program in one year and is there a glide year between when you finish the program and start at the COM?

Also, any word on what the typical GPA and MCAT is of people who are accepted into the linkage?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am contemplating applying, I know it's a little late. Just had a quick question regarding the program. So I understand that there are 10 linkage spots, but I also understand that the program is one year in length. Do you have to complete the program in one year and is there a glide year between when you finish the program and start at the COM?

Also, any word on what the typical GPA and MCAT is of people who are accepted into the linkage?

Thanks in advance!

I think if you get the linkage, assuming you have a mcat of 24, you eliminate the glide year and start med school after you're done with the program. I got the figure of 24 from last year's thread, no idea if that has changed this yr.

Any news?

Mzeep, I didn't know about TUCOM's post-bacc option. I'll look at that as well. I was looking for schools with linkages, and WesternU sounds so attractive. I love the environment there and it was the obvious place to apply to, since I've always wanted to attend their DO school.

Knowing that phone calls are coming out this week (as per this thread) is getting to me! I keep checking my phone and this thread. :oops:

Knowing that phone calls are coming out this week (as per this thread) is getting to me! I keep checking my phone and this thread. :oops:

This describes me perfectly! Except I have a ton on anxiety to go along with it! think I'm on this thread wayy too much lol. Yeah you should def check out TUCOM, they're really quick about emailing you about your status the only thing is everyone gets notified on May 27th about their decision, it's kinda late imo.

Mzeep,
Wonderful. I will check that out tonight. Yeah, May 27 is late, but since I already paid for my app to them (which they are still reviewing, according to their email), I may as well look into their post bacc program too.

Thanks,
Mick

And here I thought i was the only one checking this thread ten times a day lol. Good to know I'm not alone. Based on what the admission counselor told me on Tuesday it didn't seem like they would be calling this week. I mean they barely set up the dates. I'm sure calls will start next week.

where else did you guys apply to?

Also, isn't the Midwestern University program 2 years?

Their MBS is two yrs. They have another program which is 9 months long (MA in Biomedical Sciences)

Hey guys, I am just wondering how long is ur personal statement. On the application page it says to limit ur comments to one page, so I'm having a hard time to make my ps shorter.

Hey guys, I am just wondering how long is ur personal statement. On the application page it says to limit ur comments to one page, so I'm having a hard time to make my ps shorter.

How much over the page limit is it? I went over by a bit. Didn't think much of it, and turned it in anyway.

They are closed today for President's day. Hopefully calls will start this week, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start calling next week. :xf:

Did everyone get actual emails saying their application was complete? My status under application summary says "complete" but never received an email...

Amali: how long has it been "complete" on WesternU's status page? If it's been more than a few weeks, I'd shoot them an email. For me, I was complete on their page for about two weeks before they sent me an email indicating that I was.

I got an email saying I was complete after they received my last transcript. I would def call and find out just to make sure since they're most likely reviewing apps now.

I'm guessing next week is when they're giving calls? :luck:

It said complete a few weeks ago, but my letter of rec was mailed early last week. I think I'll call in a couple days if I don't get an email.

Did you guys apply to Midwestern's (IL and AZ) program as well? Which program is your top choice?

Hello everyone,

I have been reading through several of your posts and thought I might share some of my experiences with you. I am currently in the MSMS program and I simply love it. Everyone on campus is truly committed to helping others, and are always supportive and encouraging of you and your goals. The MSMS program is very challenging, and will require a lot of hard work, time and effort but is completely realistic. While I am not entirely sure how much easier my first year of classes will be next year, I definitely feel like I have a much greater advantage based on the current the curriculum. I think one of the strongest aspects of this program is the support network that is provided to students. Communication with the faculty and staff couldn't be easier, and the friendships you will make with your classmates are truly priceless. I wish you all the best of luck, and will do my best to try and answer questions you might have.

-Alex

The Class statistics from the first cohort is up on the Program's Website.

...just sharing my discoveries :D

Good luck everyone!

Hi Alex,

Thank you for discovering our post, and thank you for opening up yourself for questions.

I think everyone in this post is anticipating the interviews, since its almost that time.

May you share the timeline onto when you received your interview? As well as information in regards to the interview process.

Thank you for your help, and I hope you finish the program with good riddance.

-John Q

Last edited:
Hi Alex,

Thank you for discovering our post, and thank you for opening up yourself for questions.

I think everyone in this post is anticipating the interviews, since its almost that time.

May you share the timeline onto when you received your interview? As well as information in regards to the interview process.

Thank you for your help, and I hope you finish the program with good riddance.

-John Q

Interviews are a great opportunity for you to shine. I was in the first scheduled group of interviewees last year with four other individuals. The interview process was a day long event (from ~8am-2pm but don't quote me). It was very relaxing, and a welcoming opportunity to learn more about the school, faculty, and the program itself. We started with a general Q&A and then were directed to the Library to take a small writing test to assess our competency and get some insight to our character. We then received a campus tour, and boxed lunch while listening to financial aid and other various campus organizations. We were then taken to a lobby to await our interviews. The interviews were closed file, and were conducted by 2 or 3 interviewers for the respective program you wish to matriculate to. The interview was very easy going, and just mainly focused on getting to know you in more depth. After the interview you are free to go, and will usually hear back within a few weeks.

Being the charter class meant many of us were being interviewed about two weeks before starting the program since interviews had started late in the season. However, I don't think that will be the case this year, as the timeline has improved.

Sorry for the long read, but I hope that answered your question.

-Alex

Hi Alex,
Thanks for answering our questions! I was wait-listed last year after my interview but didn't make it off of the wait-list =/

Hoping to get an interview this year =)
Did you get the linkage with the MSMS program or are you just in the MSM? Also, I remember last year on the interview day, Jodi mentioning that even if we don't get the linkage, there might be additional DO spots that would open up for those that didn't get the Linkage. She was just hoping for something like that. Did that happen in your class? Were there any extra spots in the DO class for those who didn't get the linkage? Also, for those who didn't get the linkage, are they facing the glide year or have some applied to the DO program for this year? And one more thing, did they mention to you guys when this years MSMS students would start interviewing? Sorry to bombard you with questions. Good Luck in your studies!

Hi Alex,

I was just wondering, suppose we didn't get the linkage for our particular program, would this program still be worth it? I'm just wondering how this program is compared to ones at Touro where you have a guaranteed interview if you maintain a certain gpa.

Also, your status says pre-optometry, did you get the linkage? and how close were you to their average stats listed on the website (thanks PAbound for pointing that out!)?

Thanks for all your help! I was really hoping someone in the program would give us their perspective, and good to know that it's working out well for you!

Thanks alex for your insight. It is much appreciated. Do you have an idea of how manysmall group learning to lectures the msms does correlated with the do program?

Thank you for the insight, Alex. Very helpful.

No calls yet. Perhaps next week?

Aaaargh, very frustrated.

I had everything sent in a few weeks ago and had the "application complete" posted on their website. I called today just to make sure everything was good and I was told my committee letter did not actually count as a committee letter (even though it did count as one for dental school). So now I gotta rush in two new letters. Hopefully no one else is in this position...

Interviews are a great opportunity for you to shine. I was in the first scheduled group of interviewees last year with four other individuals. The interview process was a day long event (from ~8am-2pm but don't quote me). It was very relaxing, and a welcoming opportunity to learn more about the school, faculty, and the program itself. We started with a general Q&A and then were directed to the Library to take a small writing test to assess our competency and get some insight to our character. We then received a campus tour, and boxed lunch while listening to financial aid and other various campus organizations. We were then taken to a lobby to await our interviews. The interviews were closed file, and were conducted by 2 or 3 interviewers for the respective program you wish to matriculate to. The interview was very easy going, and just mainly focused on getting to know you in more depth. After the interview you are free to go, and will usually hear back within a few weeks.

Being the charter class meant many of us were being interviewed about two weeks before starting the program since interviews had started late in the season. However, I don't think that will be the case this year, as the timeline has improved.

Sorry for the long read, but I hope that answered your question.

-Alex

Thank you Alex for answering my questions.

What's a typical day for you as a MSMS student?

Aaaargh, very frustrated.

I had everything sent in a few weeks ago and had the "application complete" posted on their website. I called today just to make sure everything was good and I was told my committee letter did not actually count as a committee letter (even though it did count as one for dental school). So now I gotta rush in two new letters. Hopefully no one else is in this position...

Wow it's a good thing you called! I might give them a ring tomorrow to double check mine as well.

It's two weeks from the 10th!! Hope we hear something soon :xf:

Hi Alex,
Thanks for answering our questions! I was wait-listed last year after my interview but didn't make it off of the wait-list =/

Hoping to get an interview this year =)
Did you get the linkage with the MSMS program or are you just in the MSM? Also, I remember last year on the interview day, Jodi mentioning that even if we don't get the linkage, there might be additional DO spots that would open up for those that didn't get the Linkage. She was just hoping for something like that. Did that happen in your class?

While there were a few students who did not originally get linked, their performance demonstrated that they were more than capable of handling the rigors of the DO program. While the dust has not completely settled in regarding the linkages and acceptances, I am fairly confident from what we have been hearing that they will be accepted. Since we do not graduate until May things are not absolute at this point.

Were there any extra spots in the DO class for those who didn't get the linkage? Also, for those who didn't get the linkage, are they facing the glide year or have some applied to the DO program for this year?

To my understanding a few students may be taking the year off to further prepare to take the MCAT, while others are applying to interview for the upcoming cohort.

And one more thing, did they mention to you guys when this years MSMS students would start interviewing? Sorry to bombard you with questions. Good Luck in your studies!

There has been some mention that interviews should commence sometime this month, we are not exactly sure (as students) when they will begin to invite applicants for interviews.

-Alex

Hi Alex,

I was just wondering, suppose we didn't get the linkage for our particular program, would this program still be worth it? I'm just wondering how this program is compared to ones at Touro where you have a guaranteed interview if you maintain a certain gpa.

I cannot comment on Touro's program as I do not know anything about it. However, I can tell you that this program has much more to offer than simply getting you linked. While on campus for the MSMS program you will be assigned a mentor in your respective college (DO/DMD/OD etc..) That mentor will be available to answer questions, and track your progress throughout the program. You will meet very important people who will take notice to your achievements. What may happen is that a candidate who is not linked can perform really well, and that will bring attention to them come interview time. I would honestly say that this program teaches you so much about time management, communication skills, self integrity/self worth, and a strong scientific foundation that will help you in future endeavors both at WesternU or other colleges. The program is a lot of hard work, but well worth it if you dedicate yourself.

Also, your status says pre-optometry, did you get the linkage? and how close were you to their average stats listed on the website (thanks PAbound for pointing that out!)?

Thanks for all your help! I was really hoping someone in the program would give us their perspective, and good to know that it's working out well for you!

That is correct, I am aiming for the OD class of 2015 (via linkage). Each linkage program has different requirements. Like DO and OD require you to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 and score a 24 or higher on the MCAT or a 300 or better in every section of the OAT. So it all depends on which program you are planning to matriculate to. I will be honest in saying that there were a few hiccups along the way which is expected with the charter class. Overall the faculty and staff here are cognizant of what needs to be changed/tweaked and they address it well.

-Alex

Thanks alex for your insight. It is much appreciated. Do you have an idea of how manysmall group learning to lectures the msms does correlated with the do program?

I apologize, I don't understand your question.

Thanks for the reply Alex!

I'm also not sure what Touro provides in that sense, but it looks like Western really prepares you to enter a professional school. Is it a bad idea to apply to med school while in the program? Could you get time off to interview at other schools? And would you recommend taking the test (mcat/oat/dat) during the program or before? The first semester seems brutal from what's listed online in comparison to the second semester so I'm wondering if getting the mcat out of the way would make things somewhat
easier?

Thank you Alex for answering my questions.

What's a typical day for you as a MSMS student?

A typical day depends on which semester and how far along in that semester the class is. For example when classes started in June, we were enrolled in ISAC which met M-F from 8am-12pm (lab) then the whole campus gets lunch from 12pm-1pm and return for the lecture portion of ISAC (~1pm-3pm). Then we would have a critical learning skills course on T&Th from 3pm-5pm. We would then study from 5pm on in preparation for the next day. After ISAC the schedule changes to accommodate your individual research projects or facilitation/TA for those who score an 80% or higher in ISAC. So you would essentially spend 8hrs a week TA'ing or doing research (times and days varied) and then would all meet back at 1pm in the lecture hall for Molecular Bio, Biochem, Micro Bio etc... (ISAC, Micro, Molecular, Biochem are all heavy hitter classes and are not taken concurrently. Once you finish one then your 1-3 slot is taken by the next heavy hitter) You will also be taking Inter professional education, Clinicians in Society etc... which convenes in between your heavy hitter classes. You begin to learn very quickly that time is a valuable commodity in graduate level coursework.

hey guys,

Im applying to the program and hopefully I get in. Two questions

Does the signature page have to be mailed in or is there any electronic way of doing it? And the same goes for paying the app fee?

Thanks for the reply Alex!

I'm also not sure what Touro provides in that sense, but it looks like Western really prepares you to enter a professional school. Is it a bad idea to apply to med school while in the program? Could you get time off to interview at other schools? And would you recommend taking the test (mcat/oat/dat) during the program or before? The first semester seems brutal from what's listed online in comparison to the second semester so I'm wondering if getting the mcat out of the way would make things somewhat
easier?

It is not a bad idea to apply to other schools while in the MSMS program. The first semester is definitely much more brutal in comparison to the second but once you start to get the hang of time management and effective studying skills it becomes much more attainable. I am sure they will give you time off to interview, however, I do think it is within reason since attendance is mandatory to all class meetings. Regarding the MCAT, if you can get it out of the way before starting the program, I would recommend it (if you feel confident enough to do well, don't rush if you don't). The MSMS program does include a Kaplan MCAT course as part of the curriculum. The kaplan instructors will come to campus two days a week for the MCAT/DAT/OAT sessions. Most of our class took their standardized exams during our Micro class. The professors made accommodations to the course load and lecture schedule the week before the exam. Many students also used the winter break to further prepare before taking the exam.