WesternU MSMS Fall 2015/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted. interviewed 3/18. Seems like they're moving quick. Has there been a Facebook page created yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
yay amoureux! I got the acceptance today too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool congrats guys/gals. Any of you guys care to share your stats, since you are already accepted.

What are ya'll doing about living arrangements?

Reactions: 1 user
I was looking at the Daumier possibly, looking for female
roommate

Wonder if they are still interviewing for April

Hi,
I am wondering if any of you MSMSers from this past year would be willing to share if you got linked to westerns medical school for this up coming fall? From my understanding there were 32 people in the program, 8-10 dental or optometry and the rest DO with 3 people trying to link from last year… so did you all make it or did some not make it… considering they said they only have 15 spots I'm assuming some didn't make it.. but for those that did and did not make it did you all reach the minimum requirements of 3.1 gpa and minimum 18 mcat? Thanks!

Wonder if they are still interviewing for April
I imagine they are, though the waiting is hard, isn't it? It's worth noting that people commented on this thread saying that they'd gotten an ii for March's interview date (3/18) as close as the 12th.

Hi,
I am wondering if any of you MSMSers from this past year would be willing to share if you got linked to westerns medical school for this up coming fall? From my understanding there were 32 people in the program, 8-10 dental or optometry and the rest DO with 3 people trying to link from last year… so did you all make it or did some not make it… considering they said they only have 15 spots I'm assuming some didn't make it.. but for those that did and did not make it did you all reach the minimum requirements of 3.1 gpa and minimum 18 mcat? Thanks!
Hey quick question where did you get those stats for linkage?
Also anyone know if having linkage at Western limits your chances at other schools? I mean is it like applying early decision at schools in any way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey quick question where did you get those stats for linkage?
Also anyone know if having linkage at Western limits your chances at other schools? I mean is it like applying early decision at schools in any way?
The linkage actually requires a 24 MCAT with no less than a 7 in any section. That was what was told at the interview session.

@DOjustdoit So do linked students apply to the school the regular way in the summer? Or do they just matriculate into the DO program upon completion of the program with the required stats?

@DOjustdoit So do linked students apply to the school the regular way in the summer? Or do they just matriculate into the DO program upon completion of the program with the required stats?
I think the students still apply through AACOMAS, but they help you to get an interview if you meet the MCAT and 3.1 gpa in the program. You can still apply to all other schools in June and I feel like they recommend that too because completion of the program does not guarantee an acceptance.

im assuming its to late to even apply. my gpa is around a 3.0 and I'm retaking my mcat. wha kinds of students are accepted to msms, do u have to be disadvantaged? and can i just apply to do(all of them) and see what my chances are.

I think I'm going to decline my acceptance… at the end of the day it doesn't make sense to join this program because you really only have a 55% chance of linking and I'm not going to waste my time and money to live in dangerous pomona for a year. There's 32 people in this program and only 15 link and they are bringing back students from last year who didn't link… 32-the 8 dental/optometry/podiatry students= 24 +3 linking from last year= 27. 15 spots/27 students= 55% I'm not going to be optimistic and think that people won't make the minimum requirements.. because if you don't have an 18 mcat and a 3.1 in the program I don't know why you're trying to become a physician… and those stats were given to everyone at the interview… so I don't know what dojustdoit is even thinking of… 24 is the AVERAGE not the MINIMUM.

From my understanding speaking with the current MSMSers on my interview day: out of the 32 MSMSers or so, 23 were vying for DO linkage spots. However, only 15 got a special "linkage" interview. The remainder were those who did exceptionally well in the program/had high MCAT/high GPAs and were put in the common pool of DO applicants because they would be highly competitive and do well. The distinction between the 15 linkage interview spots and those who did not get those spots accounts for the limited number of linkage spots the MSMS program can guarantee to the COMP. Last year 17/22(or 23) linked. 75-77% chance. The benefits of linking also ensures that you attend COMP right out of the MSMS program i.e. no gap year. The MSMSers of the Dentistry program said that in all of the years of MSMS existing, there has been 100% linkage/matriculation to Western's Dental school. I could be wrong. Feel free to correct me!

I can see that there is a legitimate concern when it comes to linkage because it is NOT a guarantee. As cliche as it sounds, nothing in life is. For me personally, I would rather be part of a program that prepares me for my first year of medical school in ALL aspects (methods of studying, content, relevance to society, connections to Western U staff) and make it my own than dismiss it as simply a waste of money or a percentage. The latter perpetuates a false outlook on what the program intends (i.e. service and work in disadvantaged communities).

With any risk/challenge/opportunity in life, there are no guarantees. However, you have the agency to at least do something about it with hard work, dedication, and intention with or without the MSMS program.

Reactions: 3 users
I think I'm going to decline my acceptance… at the end of the day it doesn't make sense to join this program because you really only have a 55% chance of linking and I'm not going to waste my time and money to live in dangerous pomona for a year. There's 32 people in this program and only 15 link and they are bringing back students from last year who didn't link… 32-the 8 dental/optometry/podiatry students= 24 +3 linking from last year= 27. 15 spots/27 students= 55% I'm not going to be optimistic and think that people won't make the minimum requirements.. because if you don't have an 18 mcat and a 3.1 in the program I don't know why you're trying to become a physician… and those stats were given to everyone at the interview… so I don't know what dojustdoit is even thinking of… 24 is the AVERAGE not the MINIMUM.
I am just telling people what the admissions board told our interviewing group. They said to be able to link that you needed a 24 MCAT to be considered. It changes from year to year and this was the stipulations for the entering class.

By the way, I have just received my interview invitation today for 4/18/15.

By the way, I have just received my interview invitation today for 4/18/15.

Thanks for the update, and good luck on your interview!

I don't know a lot about the linkage program, but I do know a bit about studying for the MCAT :) I bet you can get any section to a 9+ if you use Examkrackers and follow it religiously.

if you decline, email them and tell them that i will take your spot ;)

Can you guys tell me your stat before you got into MSMS program? I'm planning on applying for the program for next year. My cGPA is around 2.9 and sGPA is around 2.7. I will be retaking classes for a year so I can apply to DO schools on next year June and MSMS. Thank you!

For those who were accepted, have you received anything via snail mail or email regarding your western email address or Student ID? I've email Daniell and have only gotten a link to the pre-matriculation check list. Is there something I'm missing? lol.

For those who were accepted, have you received anything via snail mail or email regarding your western email address or Student ID? I've email Daniell and have only gotten a link to the pre-matriculation check list. Is there something I'm missing? lol.
I've gotten both, but only after I asked for it. With that being said, I have had difficulty with my email and logging on! Haven't been able to just yet!

Good luck to those interviewing on Saturday. Hopefully they will make a decision on acceptances a week from Saturday.

So I have a question about the curriculum. Is the anatomy class the only class that is equivalent to the DO students? The rest of the curriculum seems like "fluff" classes and not really helpful in gaining admission to medical school. How do you guys feel about the program given that the curriculum seems to be lacking in proving your worth to medical schools and there is not many spots for linkage to COMP?

Hi,

Some MSMS students did not make it into COMP, even though the minimum requirements were met.

So I have a question about the curriculum. Is the anatomy class the only class that is equivalent to the DO students? The rest of the curriculum seems like "fluff" classes and not really helpful in gaining admission to medical school. How do you guys feel about the program given that the curriculum seems to be lacking in proving your worth to medical schools and there is not many spots for linkage to COMP?

No, the other classes are not "fluff" classes. They are meant to be pretty similar to some of the 1st year COMP classes and are even taught by the same faculty members. You shouldn't be entering these classes expecting to ace them all.

That's right turtle! Alot of our classes mirror the major science courses from the 1st semester of year 1 in the DO program.

I have a question about interview day. I read on a thread from the past years and it looks like I am expected to be interviewed in 2 sessions and write an essay. Is that true? In another thread, people were saying no essays. I am not sure what to expect. And if you could also provide some tips, that would be great. Thank you!

Have any of you received any info via Postal service.
I haven't received my western email or ID yet

Have any of you received any info via Postal service.
I haven't received my western email or ID yet

Nope, I was wondering the same. I haven't received anything yet. However, I was able to request my WesternU email.

I was surprised we didn't have one yet so I started it up. Join so we can collaborate and get to know each other :D

1) Join the OVERALL WesternU group with your western email: https://www.facebook.com/groups/groupsatwesternu/

2) Join our class group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1403777013276723/

3) Looking forward to getting to know ya'll!

SIDE: you don't write an essay.

I'm also going to the interview tomorrow. As nervous as I am, I'm excited to meet everyone. Hopefully I can be part of the conversation as an MSMS student soon!

How many students were at the interview yesterday?

Yes, what kind of feedback did you get back from the program this last interview. Did they say when final decisions will be made.

How many students were at the interview yesterday?
I didn't really count, but they told us that our group was the biggest group they had.

Yes, what kind of feedback did you get back from the program this last interview. Did they say when final decisions will be made.

For our group, they said we would find out by the end of this week whether we got accepted or not, but I'm not sure if that includes prospective students from previous interviews who have not found out/are on a hold.

From talking to the current students at interview day, the program seems like a really good transition into medical school. I just wish the linkage wasn't so uncertain. It sucks that even by fulfilling the 3.1 GPA requirement and 24MCAT we might not end up with a link. From what I've heard, receiving a link is based not only on performance, but how much of an impact you had on the program for the time that you're in it, and perhaps to some degree, the connections you make during that time.

Either way, I'm hoping to hear some good news soon!

Have you guys gone in for your physical exam, titers etc yet?

Have you guys gone in for your physical exam, titers etc yet?

Everything but my Hep B. The lab did a qualitative one but apparently they only accept quantitative.

Yes, just waiting on titer results.
Still trying to get my email and ID

Yeah. No ID yet either but you can email them for your email!

Good luck to all who interviewed recently :D

Yes, just waiting on titer results.
Still trying to get my email and ID

Just got mine drawn yesterday, OUCH!

I received both maybe 1.5 weeks ago. Did you try emailing Julie Smith already?

Good luck to those of you who just interviewed and to those of you on hold!!!! Fingers crossed for you all!!!

Reactions: 2 users