We've been passed by the ophthos!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We here in the path forum now have fewer threads than the ophthalmology thread. We do, however, still have more posts. But we have been quiet of late and in our lassitude have let the advantage slip. Of course, this advantage means very little, so perhaps we should not care. But how can you have all those posts on eyes? Pathology encompasses the total breadth and width of all that is medicine, except maybe the physical exam which I can do without anyway. Ophtho deals with the eye, and while the eye is a magnificent piece of engineering and actually looks quite marvelous under a slide, it's still only the size of a ping pong ball.

Once the new residency year starts I am sure we will have more interest coming in.

What do you all want to talk about?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm. I, too, have noticed the board being rather slow lately. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can give any exciting information. I'm not an MS-IV, so I haven't matched in any residency programs, nor have I even started clinicals yet, so I have no stories about the "coming of age" of a medical student.

I spent Easter on a boat off the coast of Bequia (very close to St. Vincent where I'm finishing up year #2), and it was gorgeous. It was nice to swim in the ocean, since I haven't since I first arrived on the island in January (we actually work, too in the Caribbean...) ;)

I'm screening paps a couple of hours a week for the Pathologist here in St. Vincent (free of charge, of course)...saving the population one cervix at a time!! Interesting guy: he cuts all of his own specimens, does all the autopsies, and does a lot with very little. No immunostains to think of. Come to think of it, I don't think he has many special stains at all. Not a bad pathology department, though. Surprisingly modern.

Well, I'm sure this post will leave people wanting more :rolleyes: so I'll stop!

By the way, how does everyone like the new SDN look?

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Well, I'm sure this post will leave people wanting more :rolleyes: so I'll stop!

By the way, how does everyone like the new SDN look?

I think it's fine. At least it isn't crashing everytime I log on now, although that will probably start happening soon. This whole "karma" thing is a bit weird, I'm not sure where that came from. I would bet that the same people who are obsessed with high post counts are the same who will be obsessed with high karma, and thus keep creating alter egos and giving themselves more. Eliminating post counts is kind of silly. I don't think it will prevent people from continuing to post boring tripe and inside jokes. The whole thing does seem a bit more streamlined and works better. I am not really a veteran of a bunch of internet forums so I don't have much to compare to.

You know what's funny? When I started college in 1995 I did not have an email address and really didn't even know what the internet was. The computer lab at my high school for my first couple of years there was filled with a bunch of the old-style macintosh computers (the vertical box-like things). My senior year, one computer showed up that had a sign next to it that said, "internet access only." The whole year, I only saw one or two kids on that computer, and they were the same two kids who were there the entire freaking year. I only knew a couple of people who had email addresses. And this was not hicksville high, it was a famous, extraordinarily wealthy New England private school (my senior year two guys gave $25 million each to the school). Then I went to college and got an email, but accessed it using a dialup telnet thing from my room. I went to the computer lab a couple of times and they had this thing called the internet, I remember trying to figure out how the heck to remember all these dots and dashes. "is it http-colon-slash or backslash?" and exchanging an email with a friend at another college and trying to figure out the email address. I actually exchanged letters (paper letters!) with people the first few months there. By the time I graduated I had ethernet in my room, knew all about the web, search engines, etc. Amazing about progress.

Not sure why I brought that up, I guess I'm just wondering what life would be like without the internet around. I'd probably spend more time reading and doing worthwhile things. I guess I was firsthand witness to a revolution. All these kids starting high school now have grown up with email and instant messages. In my day we went outside and played baseball with our friends, we didn't instant message cryptic code words like LOL ROTFL BTW. Grumble grumble grumble. So I guess I got to see a few revolutions in my life. The internet revolution, the cable TV revolution (didn't have cable in our house until I was about 16), the fall of communism in Europe in 1989, and the so-called Republican Revolution of the mid 90's. I am still hoping for the intelligence revolution in which young people decide that it is socially desirable to be intelligent and spend time learning about science, history, literature, whatever, and want to better themselves instead of spending all their time at the mall and scraping by with doing the minimum in life, but I guess I'll continue to wait for that one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Andrew_Doan said:
I'll help you all out with one more post! ;)

We've been invaded! Hundreds of individuals will now descend on our forum overwhelming us with their 30 page CVs, devastating use of obscure terminology and medical lingo, microscopic surgical skills, and of course their perfect vision.

I think pathology is the anti-opthalmology. By that I mean bad for the eyes! Show me a pathologist with perfect vision and I'll show you a failure!

Funny joke: How do you spell "opthalmologist?"
A) Opthomologist
B) Ophthomologist
C) Ophtalmologist
D) Ophthalmologist
E) Eye doctor

Andrew_Doan said:
We've passed you now in number of threads and posts! :D

Ah yes, but I have noticed this also. All that controversy about optometrists or something. I saw an eye patient in my current neuro elective. He had been in rehab recovering from a carotid endartarectomy, and had a visual loss in the opposite eye - first he noticed sudden disappearance of the lower half of his visual field, then one day later the other half. THEN he came to the ER. No headaches, no peripheral weakness or pain or sensory changes. Diagnosis? Temporal Arteritis! How about that one?

You can have your high number of posts. We all like our field better anyway. ;)

Andrew_Doan said:
I've seen several cases of GCA where the patient has minimal or no symptoms. Is this biopsy proven GCA?

It is FLORID GCA. I saw the slide myself. The surgeon who took the biopsy said he knew it was GCA as soon as he cut it out.