What A Groovy Place This Is

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VelcroSky

U of MN Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always here stories about how competitive the students in vet school can be but you wouldn't know it by looking around this forum. I can only hope that when I finally do get into a class that it is as cool as all y'all.

Ok, I guess I'm just feeling a little giddy from finally having all my apps submitted. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I always here stories about how competitive the students in vet school can be but you wouldn't know it by looking around this forum. I can only hope that when I finally do get into a class that it is as cool as all y'all.

Ok, I guess I'm just feeling a little giddy from finally having all my apps submitted. :D
The vet students that I have spoken to say that their class is like a little family, where you spend 24/7 with them. Whether that is going to be a good thing or not, has yet to be determined. :p

so, i have a buddy up at colorado state, and he confirms this theory. he studies, drinks, socializes, whatever with his class... all of them. he loves it up there. oh how i hope to join him.... now let the stars align and by some great miracle of god..... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I always here stories about how competitive the students in vet school can be but you wouldn't know it by looking around this forum.

That's b/c Cyrille is gone from the pre-vet section. Opps....did I type that out loud?? :D

I agree! I hope my class (that I hopefully get accepted to that is!) is as great as this forum! Why don't we all just set up our vet school? We could probably start a little one with all the VMCAS fees! :) Everyone is in! :D

Apparently my class at vet school is breaking the mold of every other year being cliquey. We mail out study guides to each other, switch around in study groups, etc. So if you're applying to TN, next year should be great! (It would be the cycling non-cliquey year.) But there is a funny group on facebook entitled "Dear Vet School, high school called. They want their drama back." So be warned, there is a gossip factor.

my friend is going to davis now and she said that she asked the guide and asked how close the classes are with eachother...if they're cut throat or anything and he said that it just depends on the class. at that time the 1st and 3rd year classes were really close and the 2nd and 4th year classes weren't. i hope that *when* (crossing fingers and toes) I go to vet school that we're all close and family like. :)

Apparently my class at vet school is breaking the mold of every other year being cliquey. We mail out study guides to each other, switch around in study groups, etc. So if you're applying to TN, next year should be great! (It would be the cycling non-cliquey year.) But there is a funny group on facebook entitled "Dear Vet School, high school called. They want their drama back." So be warned, there is a gossip factor.

Sorry offtopic! I was looking at your avatar and Ive never heard someone call UT UTK! Watched football all my life and been to a few games and thats the first time! Lol this post had no point whatsoever.

That's b/c Cyrille is gone from the pre-vet section. Opps....did I type that out loud?? :D

:lol:OMG...you are so right!! Hope you don't mind if a few of us still come back to visit though.

Sorry offtopic! I was looking at your avatar and Ive never heard someone call UT UTK! Watched football all my life and been to a few games and thats the first time! Lol this post had no point whatsoever.

Well even though most people outside of the state think of it as just UT there is also a UT-Chattanooga and a UT-Martin. So this is just UT-Knoxville around here!

Well even though most people outside of the state think of it as just UT there is also a UT-Chattanooga and a UT-Martin. So this is just UT-Knoxville around here!

Yeah but Martin and Chat dont have good football teams so that makes them nonexistent in initial choice!

If you think I'M competitive you should see some of the people in our class.

muahaha, philo, i lol'd :). he's really not so bad in real life though.

competitive though? i know a couple that are anal about not skipping classes (ha). to each their own, i s'pose.

If you think I'M competitive you should see some of the people in our class.

... makes me kinda glad i didn't apply to Penn :eek: Just kidding Cyrille, no hard feelings over here!

my friend is going to davis now and she said that she asked the guide and asked how close the classes are with eachother...if they're cut throat or anything and he said that it just depends on the class.
Davis also does a three-day "teambuilding" retreat during orientation - high ropes course, whole group has to get everyone across the "lava" using only three boards and a rope, the whole bit. Plus we're broken down into small (~8 people) groups for some in-class exercises and labs and things. They falt out tell us the whole point is to encourage working together and discourage competitiveness. We haven't actually done anything that's graded yet (first exam Monday, eek!), but I've seen quite a bit of cooperation in terms of lending notes for missed classes and studying together. We are apparently abnormal in that we're still moving around a lot in the classroom every day, and haven't solidified into "assigned seats." With 130 people in the class and small groups for labs, you can't avoid a little clumping in who you hang out with, though I wouldn't call it "cliquey" by any means.

In short, I think "everyone is super-competitive" is another one of those things that everyone KNOWS about vet school but turns out to be pretty much completely untrue. (That's not to say that there aren't *any* competitive people, only that it's by far a small minority.)

hi kate, its good to see yoU!